• Applejack
  2. 2. Least Favorite?

• Rainbow Dash
    • Rarity
    • Pinkie Pie
    • Twilight Sparkle
    • Fluttershy
    • Applejack

Ok, most people have seen the human designs for the upcoming "Equestria Girls", and I wanted to ask something. Which of the designs is your favorites and why? Vote above and put reasons below.

My favorite is Rarity's. She is so pretty and looks kind of normal. And I like how she looks in a sweater.

I really like Fluttershy's design. I don't know why, though. She just looks really pretty. Her mane especially.

I don't like how all the girls wear skirts though... Rainbow Dash especially. She shouldn't be in a skirt, even though its kinda short. It just doesn't match her personality.

(edited)

Rainbow Dash, and easily at that.

1. She's dressed in clashing colors(and so many). Works great.

2. She's wearing a "Jock Jacket". Seriously.

3. Her skirt? It's an actual athlete's skirt, as in the kind you actually buy for sporting. And as I've said so many times- her choosing pants over a skirt is actually not exactly one of her personality traits.

4. Sweatbands. Rainbow striped sweatbands.

5. Rainbow striped Socks.

6. Cutie mark T-shirt.

The outfit is so RD, she's honestly more RD than FiM RD. Okay, I'm exaggerating.

My only gripe with her is the shoes. They look weird, even if they are based on a rather sporty type of shoe(sneaker boots- and yes, those are actual boots)... the way they are stylized just looks weird.

AJ's is probaly the worst, being far too fancy looking overall, despite somewhat fitting her otherwise. Frankly, having her a bit more unkempt and even slightly dirty looking wouldn't have hurt at all.

Edited by RWB

Favorite: Rainbow Dash(bias aside) - Not gonna lie, I always thought she could pull off wearing a skirt pretty well(be it athletic or denim), and while I wish they changed the color, her design has grown on me. On top of that, I really like her shirt/jacket thingy. The funny part is that Rainbow Dash has among my least favorite fan humanizations

Least favorite: Applejack - Like above, the funny part is that she has my MOST favorite humanizations. Among all of the characters, I feel like she's the one feels like a skirt doesn't suit her(she's better with jeans or shorts). And while it's certainly better than the "Daisy Duke" humanizations some fans like to giver her, there's just something "outdated" I see from her, and still has many places I feel that they need improvements

(edited)

Best, Rainbow Dash...it's just so her.

But AJ is probably my least fave...doesn't look very "country" country girl would be wearing short shorts or overalls. THough the cowboy boots and hat help make up for that.

Edited by Flutter Dash

(edited)

Best: Fluttershy. The skirt is really pretty, and it suits her well. Also, dat hair.

Worst: Rainbow Dash. While wearing a skirt isn't out-of-character for her by any means, I don't think it fits her well as an "everyday" thing. I'm also not terribly fond of the pink with the rest of her outfit.

Edited by Spring Storm

(edited)

What's the deal with Equestria Girls (EG) having pony wings and ears?

On Hasbro's official site for Equestria Girls, it shows Twilight with wings and pony ears:img-1538093-1-LgPazxX.png

Now this seems weird. Why would a human have wings? In fact, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy show up having wings elsewhere:

img-1538093-2-yGn6LvO.jpg

Now her wings were initially tied to her making 'new magic'. Now in EQG, Twilight says 'magic doesn't work anymore'. However, we do end up seeing magic in the scene where they finally obtain the crown:

(45 seconds in)

So magic does exist which gives credibility to the motif that friendship=magic.

The poster tagline "The Magic of Friendship Never Changes" and trailer song "The magic of friendship brings us together, and Makes anything possible" further reinforce this motif.

When the main 6 encounter defeat the villain, it's likely they'll solve it through friendship again, thus gaining their wings?

So tl;dr: Wings come from magic which comes from friendship.

What are you wing theories?

Edited by Best Pony

What's the deal with Equestria Girls (EG) having pony wings?

On Hasbro's official site for Equestria Girls, it shows Twilight with wings:LgPazxX.png

Now this seems weird. Why would a human have wings? In fact, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy show up having wings elsewhere:

yGn6LvO.jpg

Now her wings were initially tied to her making 'new magic'. Now in EQG, Twilight says 'magic doesn't work anymore'. However, we do end up seeing magic in the scene where they finally obtain the crown:

(45 seconds in)

So magic does exist which gives credibility to the motif that friendship=magic.

The poster tagline "The Magic of Friendship Never Changes" and trailer song "The magic of friendship brings us together, and Makes anything possible" further reinforce this motif.

When the main 6 encounter a dilemma, it's likely they'll solve it through friendship again, thus gaining their wings?

So tl;dr: Wings come from magic which comes from friendship.

What are you wing theories?

My theory is this: The winged art was just concept art. Art to get people excited about the movie, but not really the actual materialthey will be using for said movie.

Another one is this: The wings are to represent and remind the viewer what character the humans are suppose to represent.

My theory is that in order to save the day against whatever they are trying to save everyone from, Twilight will have to activate the Elements on the human side of things, and the resulting magic gives the 'Human 5' that pony-hybrid form.

At any rate, they said it will all make sense in the movie so we're just going to have to wait.

Perhaps it is the introduction of magic than converts the high school dimension world into ponies.

First wings, then horns...then another Equestrian dimension. This may be a face of Equestrian conquest.

Lauren Faust may have doomed us all with her creative work on the first season of MLP,

After seeing some pretty spoilery images, I have come to a conclusion. When Twilight first comes into the human world, magic doesn't work and she looks like a human with purple skin.  After they obtain the crown and I'm guessing, use the Elements of Harmony to bring whatever villain down, everyone's ears, wings, and tail extensions will appear, symbolizing the creation of magic in this new world.

(edited)

Frankly, I think AJ should've taken a page out of Panty's book. Not because of the skirt, but because it looks like actual work clothes instead of "Hot Cowgirl":

Panty%20&%20Stocking%20with%20Garterbelt

Panty-an-Stocking-with-Garterbelt00009-6

Heck, Sam, from the same episode would do pretty well for Big Macintosh, but redder and bulkier:

Sam.png

Edited by RWB

Guys, they don't really have wings. I mean have you seen the official trailer? They don't have wings in it. They look like humans, except for.... The skin (I seriously think that is weird)

Ok....... its a cluster buck.... the entire movie is just so they can sell some crappy dolls. Its why season 3 was cut short. Just glad its only a movie....  and shouldn't affect the actual show much at all.

Guys, they don't really have wings. I mean have you seen the official trailer? They don't have wings in it. They look like humans, except for.... The skin (I seriously think that is weird)

They do in some images taken straight from the movie.  Here's the link.  I warn that the links are pretty spoilery.

http://imgur.com/a/GVkYv#WSDLSMh

It's only later on in the movie though.  It looks closer to the end.

Yeah, I believe that Twilight manages to bring magic to the human world. I actually like the wings and no horns deal, I always drew humanized ponies like that. Too bad they come with those freaky anthro ears and hair extensions.

Yeah, I believe that Twilight manages to bring magic to the human world. I actually like the wings and no horns deal, I always drew humanized ponies like that. Too bad they come with those freaky anthro ears and hair extensions.

I actually like the hair extensions.  Those are cute.  The fact that they can have wings, but not horns, bothers me.  Rainbow can have wings, but Rarity can't have a horn?

(edited)

Oh em gee! You made me check and I found that there are 2 different versions of anthro ears :

Version 1

rEv0Hlw.png

Version 2

img-1538101-2-yGn6LvO.jpg

When Twilight gets her crown back, could her pony friends be following her to the Equestria Girls dimension hence the pony ears/wings?

Well the spoilery stuff outside the trailer shows wings and stuff.

Edited by Best Pony

...but why so many of them are anorexic? There are FEW with normal bodily proportions in the trailers and then the main cast are all so thin that I can see them just snapping under the weight of a heavy subject of discussion.

Character designs in this upcoming movie are my greatest concern really, they, albeit colorful are far too deep in to the usual teen-girl show designs ignoring the fact that ponies and Lauren Faust's style revels in the cute pudginess.

Feed them humans, feed them some! D:

Is it so they fit all the mane 6 into one slim screen cellphone background or are we seeing impacts of sizeism going crazy?

What do you guys think about the body shape disparity between the male and female characters in the trailers? Why all girls have heads three times the width of waist while males look more... normal?

I think this kind of deformation just serves to further delude girls to think they aren't allowed to have bones or meat. And everybody needs bones, even squids and snails, so much so that they carry theirs with them.

Sure ponies don't really look like horses, but these humans clearly try to look like apes, so why more than half of them look like worms instead? Not that worms are unattractive to look at, put some lipstick and some sexy lingerie on one and you already have material that will sell in specific... very peculiar market, but don't you think the portrayal is a bit unfair? Lauren Faust thinks so.

Seen her work on the super best friends? Sure she draws stick thin Wonder Woman, but then again she also draws all pudgy Super Girl and other body types like a stumpy little batgirl, and makes them obviously stylized, not these weird aberrations in Equestria girls.

As much as the movie has going for it, the artistic designs are not that.

@@Best Pony,

@@Sheogorath

Your threads have been merged with an older thread that serves the same purpose. I have also renamed the oldest thread to cover the whole aspect of the human designs of the characters in Equestria Girls.

Rainbow's the worst, she's wearing a skirt.

Rainbow. Dash. Skirt.

This pony:

Rainbow_Dash_%26_Lotus_S2E23.png

800px-Rainbow_Dash_wants_to_fight_Discor

IS WEARING A SKIRT?

Nope. Nuh-uh. Either they put no thought into the designs or they're deliberately trampling over the feminist themes that made the show so great in the first place.

Seen her work on the super best friends? Sure she draws stick thin Wonder Woman, but then again she also draws all pudgy Super Girl and other body types like a stumpy little batgirl, and makes them obviously stylized, not these weird aberrations in Equestria girls.

As much as the movie has going for it, the artistic designs are not that.

...I will point out a few things here:

1. Super BFFs is NOT a doll line(where the same mold is used to save money).

2. The Equestria Girls are.

3. Lauren's design for her intended doll line(Galaxy Girls) had the exact same issues as you argue EG, except worse, with their assets MORE pronounced and even more sticklike bodies. Even down to the overly long legs.

4. Equestria Girls design is FiM fused with Galaxy Girls. They are Galaxy Girls with some meat on their bones.

See the pic below... all the Galaxy Girls essentially followed the build shown as the fouth character here:

img-1539086-1-NI2VypX.png

Don't like the designs? You don't have to. But don't go talking about Faust's vision, or how she doesn't do the "skinny girls" thing. She does it too, and the Equestria Girls are actually milder than her designs.

Rainbow's the worst, she's wearing a skirt.

Rainbow. Dash. Skirt.

This pony:

img-1545434-1-Rainbow_Dash_&_Lotus_S2E23

img-1545434-2-800px-Rainbow_Dash_wants_t

IS WEARING A SKIRT?

Nope. Nuh-uh. Either they put no thought into the designs or they're deliberately trampling over the feminist themes that made the show so great in the first place.

1. Tomboys don't wear skirts? Feels like one of those very stereotypes they are trying to break.

2. Dash never showed any like for pants, but does like dresses.

"Rainbow Dash would not wear a skirt!" is annoying the **** out of me.

• Brohoof 2

I think Rarity's is the best. I love her hairstyle!

AJ and RD's clothing is a little strange though. Uh, why are they wearing skirts? They are tomboys.

And I don't think Fluttershy should have had eyeshadow. That's just my opinion.

I think Twilight's outfit suits her the most. It's very plain and Mary Sue like her (not hating, Twilight is one of my favs) I just think it's very simple and suits her nerd trying to be trendy look.

Despite being my favorite I gotta say AJ does have the worst get up. Shes the only one who actually looks human but I agree she'd look better in denim shorts.

img-1539086-1-NI2VypX.png

Thanks for posting this cmparison RWB.  As awkward as my initial impressions on the human designs were, EqG looks downright chubby compared to some of these other models.  In particular, I never really realized how thin the designs from Galaxy Girls or Littlest Pet Shop really were.  I've warmed up to the Human 6 designs already (heck Twilight and Fluttershy pull it off really well IMHO), and that comparison just clinches it for me that the designs aren't bad at all.