Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I'm guitar-curious.

ReGen

(edited)

Like the title suggests, i'm interested in learning how to play the guitar. For music producing and stuff.

However, I have a couple questions.

1) Is there a difference between the Acoustic and the Electric guitars? And which one's better for playing this kind of music?

2) Is the guitar hard to learn?

3) Any brands you can recommend?

Thanks for reading. smile.png

Edited by ReGen

Ohai, there! You're making a fine choice! Guitar is a joy to learn. I'm not quite an enthusiast, but I've definitely got an ear for music! 

1) Yes. Yes there is. I'll explain this in a simplistic way to help you, and me. Acoustics are typically free of electricity, (there electric acoustics, but you can get into that later) and they are generally made with a sound hole as a natural way to amplify the sounds. Electrics are, well, electric. The are plugged into an electric amplifier, and produce a wide variety of sounds depending on the type of guitar, amp, pedals, ect you are using. That's the main difference, but if you want learn more, you can do some research.

I'm not too familiar with that kind of music, but I'mma go ahead and recommend a Gibson ES-335 electric guitar. They're pricey, but the sound quality is phenomenal, and it'd probably work for what you want to do.

2) It's a different experience for everybody. I still have a lot to learn, but guitar lessons were a breeze for me. I barely had to put any effort to match the qualifications for the class. Though, others have trouble with guitar. Guitar playing is essentially putting your hands in positions that do not feel comfortable, but sound comfortable, and the soothing sounds of the notes make you forget that your hand is cramping. It takes some time to get used to, and after a while, it doesn't feel so uncomfortable. Your hands and fingers adjust to the positioning of the chords, and it feels more right.

3) I don't have a favorite brand. I just pick a guitar that reflects myself. Though, if I had to choose one brand, I'd take the easy route and say Gibson. Very good quality instruments.

I hope I helped! I'm not too good at explaining things to people other than myself blush.png

• Brohoof 1

Ohai, there! You're making a fine choice! Guitar is a joy to learn. I'm not quite an enthusiast, but I've definitely got an ear for music! 

1) Yes. Yes there is. I'll explain this in a simplistic way to help you, and me. Acoustics are typically free of electricity, (there electric acoustics, but you can get into that later) and they are generally made with a sound hole as a natural way to amplify the sounds. Electrics are, well, electric. The are plugged into an electric amplifier, and produce a wide variety of sounds depending on the type of guitar, amp, pedals, ect you are using. That's the main difference, but if you want learn more, you can do some research.

I'm not too familiar with that kind of music, but I'mma go ahead and recommend a Gibson ES-335 electric guitar. They're pricey, but the sound quality is phenomenal, and it'd probably work for what you want to do.

2) It's a different experience for everybody. I still have a lot to learn, but guitar lessons were a breeze for me. I barely had to put any effort to match the qualifications for the class. Though, others have trouble with guitar. Guitar playing is essentially putting your hands in positions that do not feel comfortable, but sound comfortable, and the soothing sounds of the notes make you forget that your hand is cramping. It takes some time to get used to, and after a while, it doesn't feel so uncomfortable. Your hands and fingers adjust to the positioning of the chords, and it feels more right.

3) I don't have a favorite brand. I just pick a guitar that reflects myself. Though, if I had to choose one brand, I'd take the easy route and say Gibson. Very good quality instruments.

I hope I helped! I'm not too good at explaining things to people other than myself blush.png

Thank you! I thought they were the same thing. :P

Although, that guitar looks waaaaaaaay too pricey for me. Do you know of any others?

Do you know of any others?

Try Fender. (lolmyname)

But seriously, a Fender electric-acoustic, or a Stratocaster or something. Just take a look around, refer whatever interests you to others, and narrow it down.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you! I thought they were the same thing. tongue.png

Although, that guitar looks waaaaaaaay too pricey for me. Do you know of any others?

No problem! I'm glad I could help you :)

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with that kind of music, so I don't really know much about the kind of guitar to use to create such sounds. You definitely want an electric guitar, but the build I'm not too sure of. You can go ahead and research the R&B/Soul/Funk genre(s),and maybe you'll learn something. I'm sorry I couldn't help you as much as you wanted sad.png

• Brohoof 1

By the way, might not wanna ask me for too many tips. I became rather uninspired with my guitar, and have moved over to Violin. I can offer some basic stuff, but not everything ever of all time ever in guitar. :3

• Brohoof 1

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with that kind of music, so I don't really know much about the kind of guitar to use to create such sounds. You definitely want an electric guitar, but the build I'm not too sure of. You can go ahead and research the R&B/Soul/Funk genre(s),and maybe you'll learn something. I'm sorry I couldn't help you as much as you wanted sad.png

That's alright! I didn't really expect anyone to.

Try Fender. (lolmyname)

But seriously, a Fender electric-acoustic, or a Stratocaster or something. Just take a look around, refer whatever interests you to others, and narrow it down.

Thanks, i'll check those out. :)

One more question: Does an Electric Guitar have to be plugged into something to make any sound?

I really think it depends on how much you practice, and how into it you are.

I tried to be good at Guitar for 4 years, but due to me not practicing as I should have, and my heart not really being into it, I gave up because I wasn't really getting anywhere. I wanted to make guitar music (I can write a song for a lot of other instruments) but I just couldn't do it. I eventually quit taking lessons.

Anyway, as long as you keep at it, and practice. Guitar isn't really that hard. Just make sure you're practicing something you like (After you learn the fundamentals, obviously), so it will stay fun. Don't let my failure get you down, you'll be an excellent Guitarist.

• Brohoof 2

recommend a Gibson ES-335 electric guitar.

Lol. Nobody starts playing guitar on a Gibson. tongue.png

@@ReGen,

First question: how much are you willing to spend on that? You can get a decent used guitar for let's say 100$ and an amp for 50$, (I'm assuming you want an electric) but if you wish to spend some more it won't hurt to get something better. There is absolutely no need to buy a Gibson for your first guitar.

One more question: Does an Electric Guitar have to be plugged into something to make any sound?

It does make a very quitet sound when not plugged in.

• Brohoof 1

Does an Electric Guitar have to be plugged into something to make any sound?

Not necessarily...you can hear the sound of the strings vibrating, but it's really not that audible, and it's always a rather flat sound. In any case, practicing on an amp can be better for the simple fact that you'll learn to correct your mistakes fast. The amp amplifies everything, including mistakes. :3

• Brohoof 1

@@ReGen,

First question: how much are you willing to spend on that? You can get a decent used guitar for let's say 100$ and an amp for 50$, (I'm assuming you want an electric) but if you wish to spend some more it won't hurt to get something better. There is absolutely no need to buy a Gibson for your first guitar.

I have no idea, honestly. I don't have any money (Being 13) and I can't get a job (Which is super-ghey), so I was hoping my mom would buy it for me (Which probably won't happen).

Also, I did some research and found that one of my favorite musicians uses a Fender Stratocaster. Should I use that one too?

Hello!

I couldn't imagine my life without a guitar.

The kind of music you want to play would require an electric guitar I believe. I believe the best choice for this kind of music would be a Fender Stratocaster or a Telecaster. A gibson guitar with it's Humbuckers just doesn't give out that "Snappy" funky sound.

The guitar, as all instruments, is hard to learn. Every instrument is hard to learn, not to mention, master. Don't be put down by this, though, the Guitar is one of the most universal instruments that can be applied almost anywhere... If you'll take your guitar lessons seriously, you'll never notice the big struggle. :)

Again, I have a Gibson les paul, as it's the most suitable instrument for my type of music, and it's a hell of a sexy beast. happy.png , though, I believe the Snappy Fender sound would suit that kind of music better with it's single coil pickups.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Lol. Nobody starts playing guitar on a Gibson. tongue.png

I wasn't necessarily saying that the Gibson Es-335 was the guitar he should start playing on. It was a suggestion for playing the type of music he wants to play, which would probably be a good while down the road.

I'm also not terribly knowledgeable about that sort of thing. I've got an ear for music, but I don't know brands and builds too well.

Edited by Keiichi

(edited)

Like the title suggests, i'm interested in learning how to play the guitar. For music producing and stuff.

However, I have a couple questions.

1) Is there a difference between the Acoustic and the Electric guitars? And which one's better for playing this kind of music?

3) Any brands you can recommend?

Thanks for reading. img-1598666-1-smile.png

1. Already explained

2. At first, yes. The hardest part is starting. It'll hurt your hands at first. Just keep at it.

Also, this guy's videos have helped me a lot: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgRMHrtQpnhKHdsGiFQRyQ

3. Often a guitar is only as good as the guitarist. I recommend getting a guitar that's comfortable.

I use a Fender Squier Stratocaster. As a metal musician, people often say that Fenders are bad for metal music, but I know from experience that any guitar will be good for any genre if you have the right skills and equipment (Distortion, pedals, etc.)

Edited by Appetite4Democracy
  • Brohoof 2

1. Already explained

2. At first, yes. The hardest part is starting. It'll hurt your hands at first. Just keep at it.

Also, this guy's videos have helped me a lot: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJgRMHrtQpnhKHdsGiFQRyQ

3. Often a guitar is only as good as the guitarist. I recommend getting a guitar that's comfortable.

I use a Fender Squier Stratocaster. As a metal musician, people often say that Fenders are bad for metal music, but I know from experience that any guitar will be good for any genre if you have the right skills and equipment (Distortion, pedals, etc.)

Thanks for the answers. Although I should say i'm not interested in learning country or rock or whatever. I'm more geared towards funk and R&B.

And by doing more research, I found out that Electric and Acoustic guitars are different from each other by how they're played.

And by doing more research, I found out that Electric and Acoustic guitars are different from each other by how they're played.

Oh, most certainly. There's some tricks that are a breeze on an electric, but a pain in the fingers on an acoustic. Though, nothing is impossible, some songs are just meant for electrics, and others are meant for acoustics.

I play a variety of genres, but I'd like to get into folk/alternative. I'll be playing my acoustic for the most part.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Thanks for the answers. Although I should say i'm not interested in learning country or rock or whatever. I'm more geared towards funk and R&B.

Those were examples. He has plenty of funk and R&B lessons.

And acoustic and electric guitars are mostly played the same, but there are many things that you can do on electric that you can't do on acoustic. For example, tapping solos and pinch harmonics. Trills, hammer-ons and pull-offs won't sound as good and bends are a little harder.

And this could save your life: LEARN TO READ TAB!

Edited by Appetite4Democracy
  • Brohoof 2

I have no idea, honestly. I don't have any money (Being 13) and I can't get a job (Which is super-ghey), so I was hoping my mom would buy it for me (Which probably won't happen).

Also, I did some research and found that one of my favorite musicians uses a Fender Stratocaster. Should I use that one too?

haha, strats are pretty good, but they're not the cheapest guitar around, i was looking around and this was the best thing i found for a beginner, if you've got your heart set on a strat. though, there are cheaper guitars, such as this, but just keep in mind, you get what you pay for.

Here's a video on how to het the sound you're looking for (if you don't understand what he's talking about, look at what hes pressing on the guitar) but sometimes buying a better amp would help as well

If there's anything else you wanna know just quote me in a comment or drop me a PM, i've been playing Bass for 10 years and my bro's been playing standard guitar for 8 so i like to think i know a thing or two :P

• Brohoof 2

Okay, so my friend is trying to convince me that Acoustic is better and that Acoustic and Electric are the same exact thing.

He's saying that Acoustic guitars are better because the strings are thicker so i'll build callouses while the Electric strings will cut my fingers, that anything you can do on Electric, you can do on Acoustic but not vice versa and that the chords are different.

Guys, should I start on an Acoustic then switch to an Electric guitar?

Also, what are pedals used for and do I absolutely need them?

(edited)

Hello again!

Okay, so my friend is trying to convince me that Acoustic is better and that Acoustic and Electric are the same exact thing.

He's saying that Acoustic guitars are better because the strings are thicker so i'll build callouses while the Electric strings will cut my fingers, that anything you can do on Electric, you can do on Acoustic but not vice versa and that the chords are different.

Also, what are pedals used for and do I absolutely need them?

Pedals are nescessary, you don't need them at first.

You can't do everything on an acoustic guitar, that you can do on an electric, for example, soloing is much much harder on an acoustic guitar. Both have their advantages, but in the end, it's for you to decide upon which instrument to play.

The chords are the same.

An acoustic usually has 11-12 gauge strings, where as an electric has 9-11 gauge strings.

I suggest trying out both in a guitar shop. Be inspired by the artists you like, research their gear and so on. An electric guitar won't cut your fingers and you'll grow your callouses just as fast.

Edited by Concord
  • Brohoof 1

@@Concord

Thank you again! :P

Most of my favorite musicians (Which is like, 3 now...) use the Fender Stratocaster, which is Electric.

And what do pedals do, exactly?

@@Concord

Thank you again! tongue.png

Most of my favorite musicians (Which is like, 3 now...) use the Fender Stratocaster, which is Electric.

And what do pedals do, exactly?

Depends on what type of pedal it is. Usually pedals are to produce some sort of effects and affect the signal that goes into the amplifier from the guitar. I'm sure you heard of various sound effects, I'll just list some of the guitar effects that are in production today. Chorus, Echo, Delay, Reverb, Flanger, Wah wah, Fuzz, and so on...

A pedal can also be a simple trigger switch, to turn something on or off, or to change channels on an amp. There are also distortion pedals, which distorts the signal, that's how you get that dirty Rock sound.

Okay, so my friend is trying to convince me that Acoustic is better

You can't say that one is better than other, they're just different.

Acoustic and Electric are the same exact thing.

Now that's bullshit.

He's saying that Acoustic guitars are better because the strings are thicker so i'll build callouses while the Electric strings will cut my fingers,

I'd say that it's easier to start on electric because strings are thinner, and therefore have less tension what makes them easier to press. I've never heard about strings cutting fingers, but I heard that poorly finished frets can do it.

that anything you can do on Electric, you can do on Acoustic but not vice versa

That's totally opposite.

and that the chords are different.

Chords are exactly the same unless you use some different tuning. Apparently your friend doesn't know a thing about guitars :P Don't listen to him.

It's up to you. I started on electric. There is absolutely no need to buy an acoustic if you're going to switch to electric anyway. I'd say that electrics are more fun to play.

• Brohoof 2

Well the tips of your fingers will hurt A LOT when you start off. Also, don't expect to be "good" after a year of playing, it takes A LOT of practice to even be decent.

• Brohoof 1

Go for it man! I recommend Fender and Ibanez guitars, they're built pretty nice and are relatively inexpensive.

It's not that hard to just pick up and play one, but your local shop may offer lessons. 

Electric guitars use an external electric amplifier to broadcast sound, acoustic guitars are hollow and use the empty space to amplify the sound. (Hence, the wider body compared to an electric guitar) 

• Brohoof 1