Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(edited)

I have recently posted a forum on here not to long ago about my recent OC Pony I have made and didn't get the exact responses I've been expecting.

I've read literally...5-10 different little posts/guides about making a OC Pony and have been having quiet abit of difficulty still and Id like to get some help if possible. 

The issues I've been having mainly have been picking good colors that would compliment eachother, a cutie mark, accessories and weather it should be pegasus, earth pony or unicorn.

I sadly am not the greatest at drawing due to the fact it takes me a long while for me to get motivated, so I've been needing to rely on Generalzoi's pony creator.

If anyone here has any tips on how to make a good OC please let me know. It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks everypony.

PS. I decided to post my current OC here so I can get some more help and tips with my example of my admitted bad first OC. Also, I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, it's only my second day here. Bro Hoof (\

post-17382-0-09857800-1372588693_thumb.jpg

Edited by DashingCloud
  • Brohoof 2

Ok... so I'm no expert either with RE: to pony oc's but I'm an experienced role player so can talk from that perspective.

So first thing... what'w with the purple nose? That looks odd to me and doesn't fit into the genre unless there is some role play reaon he has a purple nozzle.

First rule of making a good Role play character or OC is don't over power it! Nothing worse. Start with its faults and weaknesses then think about what it can do well. Don't have it save the day all the time and never make mistakes. No super powers. Don't make it an alicorn!

so as to whether it's a unicorn, Pegasus or earth pony, that depends on what you want it to do. If it requires some kind of magic, then unicorn. Is his talent something to do with the weather? Or is it nature? or is it something that anypony could have regardless of type?

making a cutie mark: What do you want your pony to specialize in? Once you've decided that think of a SIMPLE symbol to represent that. Don't make it complicated or it will be hard to see on him once reduced down and will look cluttered.

Colors: If you don't  have a good eye for colors then use a color wheel, or look at other people's OC's and see what colors you like. Cashing colors on an OC aren't really that bad of a thing depending on his personality. Unless it's Rainbow Dash... two to three colors only or it's overkill.

Accessories: Once again it depends on what he's going to be doing. So start with making his profile (admittedly I don't start here but I should be) and a history then what he would look like.

Hope that was helpful. Might not be the be all and end all of it but that's what I have found successful.

Mike

• Brohoof 4

Ok... so I'm no expert either with RE: to pony oc's but I'm an experienced role player so can talk from that perspective.

So first thing... what'w with the purple nose? That looks odd to me and doesn't fit into the genre unless there is some role play reaon he has a purple nozzle.

First rule of making a good Role play character or OC is don't over power it! Nothing worse. Start with its faults and weaknesses then think about what it can do well. Don't have it save the day all the time and never make mistakes. No super powers. Don't make it an alicorn!

so as to whether it's a unicorn, Pegasus or earth pony, that depends on what you want it to do. If it requires some kind of magic, then unicorn. Is his talent something to do with the weather? Or is it nature? or is it something that anypony could have regardless of type?

making a cutie mark: What do you want your pony to specialize in? Once you've decided that think of a SIMPLE symbol to represent that. Don't make it complicated or it will be hard to see on him once reduced down and will look cluttered.

Colors: If you don't  have a good eye for colors then use a color wheel, or look at other people's OC's and see what colors you like. Cashing colors on an OC aren't really that bad of a thing depending on his personality. Unless it's Rainbow Dash... two to three colors only or it's overkill.

Accessories: Once again it depends on what he's going to be doing. So start with making his profile (admittedly I don't start here but I should be) and a history then what he would look like.

Hope that was helpful. Might not be the be all and end all of it but that's what I have found successful.

Mike

Actually it was very helpful. The reason it has a purple snout is because..well..as I said I was using Generalzoi's Pony Creator so I worked with what I had. But now that I've read some guide lines and now I admit..It was a mistake with the purple snout. Thank you though. This will definetly help me.

• Brohoof 1

A good OC has colours that compliment eachother, yet aren't cliché. My OC is rather over used in the blue coat and yellow mane with yellow eyes. musix_reference_by_thebrokenrecord-d5m56

My Cutiemark represents Music, Seeing as my OC's name is Musix Note, I guess how you can see how that came around.

Attire often shows your OC's personality, Too! As you can see, Musix has two, neon arm bands. This represents Music, Clubs and Raves. Obviously, Musix is into that life style. You want to be careful about what your OC wears, though - Too much makes it look over crowded and confusing, where as too little may look too plain; But not always the case.

If you want me to help you make an OC on Zoi's maker, I can do so - I enjoy making them and would love to be of your assistance!

Hope it helped :D

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I got nothing to say here, the ones above pretty much covered it up smile.png

I got one thing though that might be helpful.

http://www.hubworld.com/my-little-pony/shows/friendship-is-magic/games/mlpfim-ponymaker

This is a link to another pony-maker. General zoi's is pretty good but I have recently been using this instead since I like it a lot more.

I think It might be worth checking out for you smile.png

Edited by The Swedish Brony
  • Brohoof 2

Different people create characters differently. Some start with the image. I personally start with either the character or the powers.

With a unicorn I like to start with his magic. I don't like ultra powerful stuff, as Equestria is pretty much a peaceful land. I like magic that doesn't fit current combat gamer standards. I also like unicorns like rarity that have only one spell or a simple theme.

Silverhoof has a theme: tree magic. The name alone doesn't inspire fear in the hearts of evil doers what do evil. He has combat abilities, but no real defenses at all.

Essentially Silverhoos has one spell: Treeshaping. He can do anything as long as a tree is a target.

So I have my limited power, I then came up with a back story: He was a human tree surgeon and sci-fi nut who met Trixie (humanized), angered her, and was sent to Equestria as a punishment.

The image came last for me: gold and red, the colors of Fall.

post-1029-0-30091500-1372623153_thumb.png

Now you have a pegasus.

1) Your character's magic is an already defined racial magic.

2) You already have an idea how you want to look.

3) Play with the character/back story. Who is he? What is he good at?

This is where you need to be right now-write a paragraph about this pony. This is something only you can come up with. Help is 100% easier with just a simple paragraph to work with.

Save the name for last. Once you know where you are going with your OC, the name is easy (mostly). Remember the name doesn't have to fit the powers or magic...it could just be a cool name.

My only suggestion is don't use a tragic background-its way overdone. (of course I'm the guy with a self-insert OC and that way overdone too) So have fun, and do what YOU want. Advice is free, take it or leave it.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Hello there. I've taken the liberty of moving your thread to the Creative Resources subforum in Octavia's Hall, as it is more related to you seeking help with something artistic than the brony fandom in general.

As for my tips, there are several guides around here that can be far more helpful than I can, but I'd suggest using light colors and trying to make a character that wouldn't look altogether out of place in the background of an episode of the show.

• Brohoof 2

Even myself I can't make the "perfect" OC, but, it's basically you're preference of style. Whatever the pony's color is, there you go! It's whatever you like and what you want. For example, I have an OC pony named Lazii Dazii, originally, her body color was neon blue with (I think), bright pink mane, so bright it could almost burn your eyes!, and I believe she was an unicorn, but that's not what I liked and it's not what I wanted. So, I toned her colors down a bit and it was perfect. Here's the file, (hopefully it's here, I'm not so good with files xp).

Again with accessories, it's whatever you like. You can make it have six earrings, wearing a leather jacket, tattoos all over if you want! Lazii Dazii has golden rings around her left foreleg. She also wears glasses.

Personally, I think an Alicorn is the best pony, and unfortunately, this site doesn't have that race on here, but it's what YOU like. Not me, not other people, you.

Hopefully this was helpful. ^ ^ Sorry if I was a bit harsh. (I'm too nice, hehe ^^')

• Brohoof 1

@,

Hello there. I've taken the liberty of moving your thread to the Creative Resources subforum in Octavia's Hall, as it is more related to you seeking help with something artistic than the brony fandom in general.

As for my tips, there are several guides around here that can be far more helpful than I can, but I'd suggest using light colors and trying to make a character that wouldn't look altogether out of place in the background of an episode of the show.

Ah thank you Dash for moving my forum, I had a feeling something wasn't right. This definitely is going to help me out alot though with all the help I've been getting. Thanks.

• Brohoof 1

As it's been said several times, you really need to pick the colours that compliment each other, more than anything.

As for using generalzoi's pony creator, I would give this advice that I was given when I started off making OCs. 

Don't use accessories unless they are absolutely necessary for your character, too many accessories just makes the character look like it's reaching for attention, rather than being created as a character. 

Dont try to mix things up too much either, dont give them a mane colour, hair colour, second hair colour, second mane colour and accessory (jackets mainly) colour. Too much makes it look like you've just pulled something out of a hot bag of skittles, and is just not pleasing to look at. 

That's about all I can really think of right now, or at least they're the main points I would address, where I you. 

It's already been said that people create ponies differently, personally I start with their personality and then work from there. 

If you want, take a look at some of my OCs and see which you like best. They're not brilliant, and one of them is a little cliché but still, if you feel like a visual reference, then...

Creeping Dusk

Frostbite

Metal Gear (Coat colour bodged up on this one, looks weird if you ask me)

Chaotic Harmony

• Brohoof 2

I got nothing to say here, the ones above pretty much covered it up img-1608094-1-smile.png

I got one thing though that might be helpful.

http://www.hubworld.com/my-little-pony/shows/friendship-is-magic/games/mlpfim-ponymaker

This is a link to another pony-maker. General zoi's is pretty good but I have recently been using this instead since I like it a lot more.

I think It might be worth checking out for you img-1608094-2-smile.png

Thanks, this new pony maker you've shown me works much much better with me. The only bad thing is, the main issue I've been having is picking the colors...Still though, thanks!

A good OC has colours that compliment eachother, yet aren't cliché. My OC is rather over used in the blue coat and yellow mane with yellow eyes. img-1608065-1-musix_reference_by_thebrok

My Cutiemark represents Music, Seeing as my OC's name is Musix Note, I guess how you can see how that came around.

Attire often shows your OC's personality, Too! As you can see, Musix has two, neon arm bands. This represents Music, Clubs and Raves. Obviously, Musix is into that life style. You want to be careful about what your OC wears, though - Too much makes it look over crowded and confusing, where as too little may look too plain; But not always the case.

If you want me to help you make an OC on Zoi's maker, I can do so - I enjoy making them and would love to be of your assistance!

Hope it helped biggrin.png

With my OC, his personality was going to be shy but a romantic. I'd love what ever help you can give me Musix, the main issues I've been having with have been 3 things, Color scheme,  accessories and the cutie mark.

• Brohoof 2

the main issues I've been having with have been 3 things, Color scheme,  accessories and the cutie mark.

The colour scheme is the easy part. Shy characters usually have either a light colour or their scheme seems to be more towards the red part of the colour wheel.

Look, This took me less than ten seconds, Try and work of something like this, or look to characters/people you admire for inspiration. Cheers! c:

2S2S000000591C41F79EFE0000100FE2AUN1837000000000005FCC16FF7FFF001000CCAA004CB2

The colour scheme is the easy part. Shy characters usually have either a light colour or their scheme seems to be more towards the red part of the colour wheel.

Look, This took me less than ten seconds, Try and work of something like this, or look to characters/people you admire for inspiration. Cheers! c:

2S2S000000591C41F79EFE0000100FE2AUN1837000000000005FCC16FF7FFF001000CCAA004CB2

Sadly within the time it took you to reply, I ended up completely finishing my OC. Thank you though.

post-17382-0-70130200-1372721526_thumb.png

What do you think?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not an expert with making OC's so I really don't know a whole lot to tell ya.

As for a cutie mark, just think about what you want his talent to be, then find something symbolic to it, also try not to over complicate it,  Cutie marks don't look as good if they're overly complex.

The purple tip on its nose is a bit odd to me, Idk its just a personal preference, but I don't care for it much.

Color scheme looks good to me, I like to fade the color out of the colors I use some. I don't like using 100% pure color in my colors generally. I change them up alot with the sliders in pony creator.

But yours looks good, only thing I might fool with is the red in the mane, but thats it.

Good job overall!

Edited by Zygen

attachicon.gifPoetry OC 3.png

What do you think?

It looks great, Really portrays the idea of being shy, But also looks really cool - Like an 70's cool. You know what I'm on about XD

It looks good, I like the unique attire, too. Well done!

It looks great, Really portrays the idea of being shy, But also looks really cool - Like an 70's cool. You know what I'm on about XD

It looks good, I like the unique attire, too. Well done!

Thanks. It sure took me a while to get it right though. But now that its done, I'm really happy with it. yay.png