Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What is your favorite FPS of all time

Walter White

Borderlands. It:
1. Has the largest amount of guns in any video game.
2. Is full of insaneness (in a hilarious way)
3. It is actually an FPSRPG.

Number 2: Fallout New Vegas. I view it actually as a version of Fallout 3, that is actually more complete, in a completely different plotline @F:NV dissers. 

Number 3: Team Fortress 2. Why the heck not?

(Couldn't forget to mention those)

Edited by Gamer P0N3
  • Brohoof 5

Let's see here...I have two personal favorites, here's my #1 favorite FPS game:

Condemned 2 Bloodshot

img-1736652-1-c2bsx.jpg

and then:

F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin

img-1736652-2-1367805951_fear2.jpg

These two just combine shooting and horror together perfectly...to me, at least.

(You seem to like Doom...I have a copy of Doom 3 just sitting on my shelf...is it worth playing?)

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 5

My favorite FPS is Halo: Combat Evolved. I've played it for as long as I can remember, and I've had a lot of fun memories playing the game. The campaign and the multiplayer are both great, and the game definitely left a memorable impression on me. There are many other FPS games that I like, and I'm sure there are some great FPS games out there that I haven't tried, but out of all the FPS games I've come across Halo: CE is my favorite.

• Brohoof 9

Let's see here...I have two personal favorites, here's my #1 favorite FPS game:

Condemned 2 Bloodshot

img-1736652-1-c2bsx.jpg

and then:

F.E.A.R. 2 Project Origin

img-1736652-2-1367805951_fear2.jpg

These two just combine shooting and horror together perfectly...to me, at least.

(You seem to like Doom...I have a copy of Doom 3 just sitting on my shelf...is it worth playing?)

Its not like the classic doom where you pick up a berserk pack and start to rip and tearing. Its more slow paste now but its still a good game its just i prefer the fast paste shotgun every thing you see type of doom. Really tho its just doom 3 redone.

My favorite FPS is Halo: Combat Evolved. I've played it for as long as I can remember, and I've had a lot of fun memories playing the game. The campaign and the multiplayer are both great, and the game definitely left a memorable impression on me. There are many other FPS games that I like, and I'm sure there are some great FPS games out there that I haven't tried, but out of all the FPS games I've come across Halo: CE is my favorite.

I remember playing it for the first time i loved it, at that time the graphics were amazing so many great times on that game. Where have the good fps shooters gone to these days. 

• Brohoof 3

Gotta be Borderlands 2. It's just so much solid fun. Elemental gun types, loads of variety in the 2,500,000 guns that they have (actual number!) and very entertaining dialogue. It's a game that doesn't want to be serious or seem pretentious, it just wants to be a fun shooter, and it totally is. Which also means when the story turns serious, it's a truly bad-ass showdown!

One thing I love is the amount of discovery to be had. The level progression aspect of the game means you'll have to abandon your low-level gun at some point in exchange for a new, higher-level gun, and that means you'll never be stuck to a single weapon. The special effects of legendary weapons are such a great difference from other bland shooters - a rocket launcher that fires bouncing missiles? Don't mind if I do! A pistol that also works as a boomerang? Awesomesauce! A sniper rifle that fires rounds that split into three separate bullets? Far out, man!

But it's not just about zany shoot-outs. There are also really well-written yet still equally unrealistic characters to meet. My personal favourite is Marcus - he's the main gun salesman on the game's planet. He has hilarious means of business, such as convincing a pretty stupid bandit that he's the Hero of Legend, getting him all excited and ready to become a legendary saviour figure... and that he must *buy* a hero's gun and save the planet. (The gun's price is $2,000,000 :P). Stuff like this happens all the time in Borderlands 2, there are absolutely billions of plot holes but nobody seems to care. :)

It's not always about shooting human enemies, either. Sure you can blast the head off of insane bandits or workers for the Hyperion corporation, the main enemy company, but you'll also encounter strange creatures such as Stalkers (an agile lizard that can cloak itself) Crystalisks (acid-resistant quadrupeds that fire homing stalactites) and Varkids (giant mosquitoes that grow larger and stronger the more time you spend in combat with them). There are also a variety of robots to fight that carry different weapons - some simply fire bullets, others set up ionic shields, others run up to you and explode. Each are completely unique to the game and have different weak spots. You'll never know what's coming next for you to gun down.

Whichever type of FPS you're a fan of, you simply must get Borderlands 2. It's well worth it.

Edited by Flipturn Amaterasu
  • Brohoof 4

Going with Doom1 and 2. 3 ahh it was ok noting epic but ah. All the F.E.A.R games oh my God. AI was sooo smart! one time I was in a fire fight with 3 of them next thing I know 2 of them came up from behind me its like oh wow that's some damn good AI. Top of all that it scares the shit out of me!

• Brohoof 4

3. Serious Sam - The goofy humor, bizarre enemies and slick gameplay are pretty unique

2. Half-Life 2 - amazing gameplay, amazing storytelling, amazing everything

1. Quake 3 - the most frantic, brutally twitchy gameplay in any shooter I've played

• Brohoof 3

My favorite FPS game is definitely Timesplitters Future Perfect

150867-TimeSplitters_-_Future_Perfect_(U

What else can I say? It's in the title, this game is just perfect

And Medal of Honor

Medal%20of%20Honor%20Frontline%20Boxshot

Pretty much what made me a MoH fan

Edited by Godot
  • Brohoof 3

I always loved the original Unreal Tournament (UT99/UT:GOTY) - the graphics were a bit dated, but it had some amazing level and weapons design, and a very great AI.

The original Halo for PC was great too, but only in a multiplayer sense. Again, mostly due to the unique level designs and challenges.

• Brohoof 3

Toss up between Unreal Tournament and Halo: Combat Evolved for PC. Largely for nostalgiac purposes; I hardly play either anymore.

Half-Life 2 is my favorite single-player FPS, but single-player takes a back-seat to multiplayer when I pick up a FPS game usually.

Edited by DusK
  • Brohoof 1

Ultimate Doom for sure. Followed by Duke Nukem 3D. I grew up playing them when they first came out, and still play them to this day. Doom more than Duke though. I have the poster on my wall and all four novels which are very very good, the first one basically follows the game exactly but really fleshes it out.

Also love the first Red Faction, Bioshock Infinite, Half-Life series, and the Metroid Prime trilogy. Not too many else come to mind since they were either just an okay game to play through once, over the shoulder 3rd person, or not very creative/repetitive when the series is looked at as a whole. Also most others tend to focus on making the online/multiplayer aspect first and foremost anymore, I prefer single player. I even play my MMOs solo for the most part. Call me weird, I'm used to it.

Edited by Puddlejumper
  • Brohoof 3

Time Splitters and Fallout 3/ new vegas are definitely close to the top of my favorite list, but i would have to say mine is 007 Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64. although it did have its faults i thought it was the best multiplayer to ever come out of an FPS

• Brohoof 1

While it's not a "pure" FPS (it has certain mechanics that use 3rd person), I'd say this goes to Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. A variety of different ammo types, use of a crossbow instead of guns, and the occasional stealth element make it a very strategic game. The story's pretty interesting too. Won't seem like it at first, but once you get to the twist, you'll agree with me. It may not be the most traditional, but I find that that works to its advantage very well. I'd very highly recommend it.

Oddworld-Strangers-Wrath-1-L0BN0DNN93-10

• Brohoof 2

Well gee if I have to say then you clearly don't know me that well. Of course it's Team Fortress 2.

282px-Team_Fortress_2_box-art.png

It's got variety, an active modding community, is still actively supported by its developers nearly six years after release (but only on the PC) and it's nearly impossible to find a "Top x PC shooters" list without TF2 in the top three. Why? Because it's a good game. Unlike some other insanely popular online games *coughcallofdutycough*

Second favorite is probably Half-Life 2.

1342909764-00.jpg

What the original Half-Life didn't get exactly right (e.g. movement speed, NPC participation) Half-Life 2 did do right. It's too bad we'll probably never see a proper sequel to it though.

• Brohoof 3

My favorite FPS game is definitely Timesplitters Future Perfect

img-1736921-1-150867-TimeSplitters_-_Fut

What else can I say? It's in the title, this game is just perfect

And Medal of Honor

img-1736921-2-Medal%20of%20Honor%20Front

Pretty much what made me a MoH fan

MoH is a very good game but i haven't played the newest one unfortunately, but some look both ways at it  some like it and some don't. But these games came out when ea was actually  good company :)

I suppose it's not your traditional FPS game, but I'll say Portal 2.

post-17521-0-97987300-1376187333.jpg

It's just a great game.. I'll never forget the day it came out and the 6 hours it took to download.

It's got great characters (Wheatley being my favourite video game character of all time, btw), fun puzzles (even though they're not as hard as the ones in Portal 1 but pffft), great humour, an amazing soundtrack, shocking and hilarious twists, and a satisfying ending to wrap it up.
But yeah, I just love this game to pieces.. and it's in first person and you shoot portals, so it counts I guess.

But for the standard FPS, run around and shoot enemies in the face game.
Half-Life 1
post-17521-0-97254800-1376187711_thumb.jpg
While Half-Life 2 did have a good story, and it's supporting characters were really fleshed out and realistic, I just didn't find it as memorable as Half-Life 1.
It's just a load of fun.
But I'm probably a bit biased with this choice as it has a huge nostalgic value with me, as it was the first game to actually blow the 10 year old me away with how fun (and kinda scary) it was.

• Brohoof 6

Well gee if I have to say then you clearly don't know me that well. Of course it's Team Fortress 2.

img-1737306-1-282px-Team_Fortress_2_box-

It's got variety, an active modding community, is still actively supported by its developers nearly six years after release (but only on the PC) and it's nearly impossible to find a "Top x PC shooters" list without TF2 in the top three. Why? Because it's a good game. Unlike some other insanely popular online games *coughcallofdutycough*

Second favorite is probably Half-Life 2.

img-1737306-2-1342909764-00.jpg

What the original Half-Life didn't get exactly right (e.g. movement speed, NPC participation) Half-Life 2 did do right. It's too bad we'll probably never see a proper sequel to it though.

I play lots of tf2 and the hats are the best part. I've also played half life and the story is great and portal is also good. And Call of duty's multiplayer isn't the best considering they have been using the same modified quake 3 engine since cod 2  and there is no new ideas in it, its just new guns and different maps every year.

Metroid. I find alot of shooters are just "LAWL I KILL ALL DA PEOPLES", and I can't do that. I don't finding solely killing enjoyable, I need some incentive or purpose. I get some adventure and puzzle elements with this one, and in the case of prime three I loved the motion controlls.

• Brohoof 2

It depends on if we are talking about just first person games or specifically first person shooters.  If we are just talking about first person than I would have to say that Minecraft is my favorite game in that category.  But if we are talking about specifically first person shooter than my favorite is actually a series.  Bioshock.

• Brohoof 1