Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are Crystal/Gems Magical?

Melior

We've seen two big examples when crystals have been used as a medium for magic: when Celestia with dark magic made a crystal project an image of the past (and more), and when Twilight, also with dark magic, made a hidden staircase appear. But do crystals on their own possess magical power? The previous feat at least indicates that crystals are very responsive to magic which could be because they contain traces of magic within themselves. This could explain why Rarity uses magic to find gems but a similar spell to find other objects hasn't been shown.

Chrysalis mentioned to the imprisoned Twilight she was in the caves under Canterlot, once home to greedy unicorns in search for the gems the cave obtained. The Alicorn amulet's source of power appears to be a gem. The greedy unicorns possibly wanted these gems under Canterlot for their magical power. The Elements of Harmony also are studded with gems but this may just be the physical form they decided to take on.

The crystals that make up the Crystal Empire have shown to be a very strong medium for magic, the crystal heart itself being a prime example. The crystals that make up the ground beneath could be what gives the crystal ponies their shining coats thus explaining why there aren't crystal ponies elsewhere.

In conclusion gems are highly reactive to magic, possibly due to traces of magic already within. They're a lot more than dragon chow, that's for sure. What are your thoughts? Do you think gems have more magical power than I credit, or do you think they're just a bunch of shiny rocks?

Crystals are magical when they were shown in the Crystal Empire episode where the Crystal Ponies had to have their spirits revived to help power the Crystal Heart to defeat Sombra. Gems may have some magical significance other than being a dragon's favorite greedy snack, they may have some magic stored inside which can only be released by a unicorn's magic. For now, that's my theory on what gems are used for when it comes to magic.

Yes, I believe they are. 

First of all, crystals and gems somehow only appear a FEW INCHES off the ground, which is geologically impossible since most valuable minerals are meters deep, and they they're somehow perfectly carved despite being taken out of the ground. 

To further prove this, there has been one time where Spike was attempting to age a ruby, and that gems are apparently abundant enough for dragons to eat them in such large masses. If you don't remember that, then my second proof is that Pinkie Pie and her family has a "rock farm", suggesting they were "growing" minerals, which is scientifically impossible in real life, at least with the method they're doing it. 

Crystal are either naturally magical, magic amplifier, or a "magic" storage.

• Brohoof 1

Gems being present underground so readily, and that Spike found them appetizing, made me invent a headcanon a long time ago: Spike's body chemistry, being an omnivoric lithivore (he of eat different kinds of diets, but can also eat minerals and rocks) means that he consumes gemstones (many commonly shown ones like Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald are all aluminum-based compounds) in the same way we consume and enjoy various different kinds of carbohydrate compounds (sugars). Likewise, it could be said that Spike reacts to carbs in the same way we react to alcohols.

Spike_and_Joe_talking_to_each_other_S1E2

Fig. 1: "Don't you think you've had enough?"

That said, ponies could very well have a different chemistry as well. The high amount of gemstones in the ground would suggest that the minerals which cause those gems may exist, or leach, into the soil, which obviously is part of the same ecosystem from which they grow their food.

Applejack_harvesting_corn_S2E01.png

Fig. 2: Agricultural Diversity

This makes me think that it's possible that gemstones, or gem fragments, or mineral substrates/constituents thereof, are part of the common pony's diet. This intake is only minor at most, except for unicorns, which concentrate higher amounts of these minerals in these horns. The inheirent magical properties within gemstones and minerals then is used on the biological basis of the pony which has imbibed them; Earth Ponies have a greater connection with the earth and growing things, Pegasi can connect with weather and also walk on clouds, and Unicorns can wield magic.

Spike_caught_trying_to_eat_gems_S01E19.p

Fig. 3: Nom

Edited by Blue
  • Brohoof 2

The inheirent magical properties within gemstones and minerals then is used on the biological basis of the pony which has imbibed them

If I'm understand this correctly does this mean if a pony's magical power diminish if they do not eat. If they were put on some weird diet that didn't allow the minerals to be consumed would they not have their magical abilities?

I very much like your idea regarding Spike and carbs. I find it quite plausible.

If I'm understand this correctly does this mean if a pony's magical power diminish if they do not eat. If they were put on some weird diet that didn't allow the minerals to be consumed would they not have their magical abilities?

I very much like your idea regarding Spike and carbs. I find it quite plausible.

Well "didn't allow the minerals to be consumed" would be a weird restriction, all things considered. You don't eat rocks yourself, yet calcium, zinc, magnesium, sodium,chlorine and potassium, and even traces of gold and thorium on a regular basis due to your consumption of food produced in Earth's ecosystem. Moreover, all of them (barring those mentioned heavy elements) are important to your body chemistry.

A similar context of biodiversity and metallic composition could exist quite easily in Equestria, and it's a safe inference to make, if the gem fields of S1E19 A Dog and Pony Show are any evidence.

Well, King Sombra's dark crystals WERE shown to be able to negate his enemies' magic (such as Shining Armor's and Twilight Sparkle's).

P.S.- A future Earth pony villain could possibly find and use some leftovers of those same crystals to shield himself/herself from the good guys' magic, thus balancing things out.

My opinion is that crystals are not inherently magic in their own essence, however instead they reflect, store, and amplify any magic that passes through them at the users will. Which is why the gemstone in celestias throne room floats on its own without any seen intervention from celestia until she picks it up, or as unpowered gemstones lie dormant and useless unless focused power is run through them and activates their nature. As is the case with the alicorn amulet I believe is a good example it has a spell cast upon it to amplify the users magic 10x when using magic but also corrupts the user meaning at already has magic placed upon it. Think of a gemstone as a tiny room with 1000 mirrors with one small opening to let a beam of light or energy through, open the doorway and the bounces around an reflects inside until it finds a way out thus amplifying it. Now picture the same room and same mirrors, but this time with a pedestal in the center with a light on the inside that you can control at will from the outside for when you need the light and you don't have to worry about maintaining the light, now the light is stored for use as you see fit with a simple activation. Reflection is a harder one to explain so just follow along with me, as the beam of light/energy passes through the room it gathers power but instead of going haywire and bursting from the room it changes the properties of the room that the light is flowing through to reflect the users wishes in a semi- autonomous way as with the case of the crystal empire gem in celestias throne room. I don't know if any of that made sense but it felt like it did so maybe it helps.

• Brohoof 1

My opinion is that crystals are not inherently magic in their own essence, however instead they reflect, store, and amplify any magic that passes through them at the users will.

This idea is very much plausible; a strong arguemnt for the "gems are more like tools" side. If gems don't have any inherent magic it kind of kicks Blue's theory unless the land itself fuels the gems with magic. I understand you metaphors (though in reality an room with a bunch of mirrors won't infinitely relect light but magic may be different).