Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Best Musicplayer for PC?

Outkin

What do you think the best music player is? I'm half looking for a new one, half wanting to start a conversation. Also if you feel like it, what do you think are the worst players?

I would probably say my personal favorite is iTunes, everything's organized by artist, genre, album, and a bunch of other areas. I think it's rather great. Windows Media Player is second to me. 

Spotify is average. If you have Premium, then it's great, if not...then it's meh.

The best music players differ on what you want but here is a list of music players that are THE best of the best:

VLC

Foobar2000

iTunes

Winamp sucks massive. massive phallus and media player is just terrible for various formats.

FLAC + VLC MASTER RACE <3

I use iTunes for the sake of keeping everything nice and tidy, and for syncing my iPod. I also like how iTunes automatically gives you the artwork for an album, although it doesn't work all the time.

Windows Media Player is easily the best, considering it can be sync to any device. But I'd recommend Spotify if you're not just looking for something to sync your music on.

I'd say iTunes is the worst, in terms of the fact that it can only play MP3 files.

Well there are a majority of media players for PC. iTunes is ok for .mp3's and .mp4's, but that's about it. Windows Media Players is ok, but I really don't like how it's so basic. I personally prefer and recommend using VLC Media Player. I like how you can customize just about anything and you can set the Equalizer to any settings you want :P (also has presets).

I'd say iTunes is the worst, in terms of the fact that it can only play MP3 files.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Stop bashing on iTunes for it's compatibility when the files it's compatible with are the ones that most fucking people use. (This isn't just directed at the person I quoted, there's other people as well who this is aimed at <3)

iTunes can play these popular formats:

AIFF

WAV

MP3

MP4

And others found here http://support.apple.com/kb/ta44475

LEARN 2 USE GOOGLE BEFORE YOU BASH ON THINGS.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Stop bashing on iTunes for it's compatibility when the files it's compatible with are the ones that most fucking people use. (This isn't just directed at the person I quoted, there's other people as well who this is aimed at <3)

iTunes can play these popular formats:

AIFF

WAV

MP3

MP4

And others found here http://support.apple.com/kb/ta44475

LEARN 2 USE GOOGLE BEFORE YOU BASH ON THINGS.

That's still only nine formats, compared to how many Windows Media Player supports. If you're using a Mac, iTunes is great. But beyond that, it aint anything.

Come at me brah.

Edited by CaptainCanti

Not sure why there is the hate for certain programs and going at each other some do.  I'd suggest make a list of some of the ones suggested here.  Try out some, and you may find over time you prefer this or that program.    Trying out some, say for a few days or so each .

Foobar2000, definitely. I love this program, it's easy to handle, it's crystal clear, never had any compatibility issues with it.

I would recommend it to anyone.

I use Winamp. I don't even understand why people complain about it being difficult to use. These people probably just looked at the interface for five seconds and just gave up

Anyways, it easily sorts all your shit where it belongs and it supports FLAC

I use three. 

First and foremost, iTunes is the obvious one if you own any I-devices, which I (sadly) do. It is pretty neat for organization but the lack of Cover Flow in the updates of the last few months literally made me stop using it except to sync.

Secondly, when I'm just playing a few files, or am queueing up a temporary playlist, I just use VLC since it has the easiest playlist settings and plays every single file format you would ever use in a normal setting.

When I want everything organized and tagged but outside of the freaking terribly confining options of iTunes, I use JRiver Media. It's not free (if you don't want to... uhh.... cough... torr*nt like I do. Or just use a free trial, I guess) but it has all the nice tagging and sorting options of iTunes (and its tags are permanent, unlike iTunes), plays all the major file formats like VLC, and looks pretty nice and uses few resources to boot. If you're willing to pay for it or break the "law" then I highly recommend it.

I once used winamp, and it's pretty useful in terms of extracting music from an i-device if for some reason you need to (like a broken hard drive or syncing the same stuff on a different computer), but otherwise it has similar limitations, few tagging and sorting options, a not-so-friendly UI, and is unusually ugly (at least when I used it. It probably has changed since.).

I use iTunes. I always have, and I've gotten used to it. I guess that's one of the main things, as well as needing it for use with my iPhone. I love how organised it is, and I like the simple design. Also, I'm kinda biased towards Apple. 

I've used Windows Media Player and Winamp in the past, and meh, they didn't do it for me. 

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

Windows Media Player gets the job done for the most part, but can get clogged up if you have a ton of music.

VLC's a great program for any sort of media.

Foobar2000's also very good, and it lets you convert into a variety of sound files.

Winamp's alright, I just never got into it that much.

iTunes works fine, but it organizes things a bit oddly sometimes and has to convert .wma files into its own format for usage.

All in all, try out a few of the programs (they're all free) and stick with whichever one you prefer!  :)

Oh, and if you ever want to edit sound files, Audacity works swimmingly.