Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronyette

(edited)

I see a big similarity of how this tutoring thread works to how roleplay threads work. There's a list of people participating and changing their statuses about it. So maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce such functionality in the forum script itself one day? This would allow people to control their status on their own instead of moving all the burden on some admin's head. It could even automate the process if one could set up some upper limits of persons participating in his list and his nickname becoming red automatically as soon as enough people add themselves to it. Maybe the friend management script could be reused for that in some way?

Just a thought.

Edited by SasQ

I can teach anything related to school and undergraduate level biology. It will be great practice for me as I prepare for a Masters program in Biology. By the way, I also have experience teaching music theory and chemistry, so if anyone needs help in these regards, then I will help as best as I can. I highly suggest you add me on Skype so we can have mic and/or video chats for the best learning experience.

I already told scs my tutor services but il reiterate

French at Highschool

Psych at late Highschool early college

English at college

Socio at high school

Law at Highschool

I'm open to answer questions

I can teach anything related to school and undergraduate level biology. It will be great practice for me as I prepare for a Masters program in Biology. By the way, I also have experience teaching music theory and chemistry, so if anyone needs help in these regards, then I will help as best as I can. I highly suggest you add me on Skype so we can have mic and/or video chats for the best learning experience.

I already told scs my tutor services but il reiterate

French at Highschool

Psych at late Highschool early college

English at college

Socio at high school

Law at Highschool

I'm open to answer questions

I have added both of you to the tutor list.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! If anyone needs help in English or Reading at the middle school, high school, OR college level, I'm your girl! I am an actual certified secondary language arts teacher. Also I was a certified tutor for 2 years - one year I helped college kids revise essays and one year I worked at Sylvan helping middle and high school kids with reading and grammar. I'm excellent at revising any writing or helping with reading comprehension skills, fluency, etc... if you need homework help, let me know!

• Brohoof 1

I could actually use some help with Spanish. Not necessarily learning the systematics of the language like I would in school but actually applying and practicing it with others :)

¿Puedes ayudarme? :)  Necesito mucha ayuda con mi español. Estoy actualmente aprendiendo el idioma con mi novia que habla español con fluidez, pero necesito más ayuda. Lo siento por algunas errores  :blush:

• Brohoof 1

I could actually use some help with Spanish. Not necessarily learning the systematics of the language like I would in school but actually applying and practicing it with others :)

¿Puedes ayudarme? :)  Necesito mucha ayuda con mi español. Estoy actualmente aprendiendo el idioma con mi novia que habla español con fluidez, pero necesito más ayuda. Lo siento por algunas errores  :blush:

I recommend getting in touch with @Lightwing. He can help with Spanish at any level.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can help with English.

Since I always completed all my classes, I can help with any level of college English.

I can help with.

And I can teach some people a few tips and tricks I learned back in the days that can really help.

こんいちわわたしにほんごおべんきょしています

Yeah... I am learning Japanese... I am still a beginner and I have (knowing me) mistyped what I just posted...

p.s Admins make Japanese Symbols count as Characters

• 2 weeks later...

I minored in English, so I can help anyone who needs help with writing, as well as revising essays/writing pieces, comprehension, etc. I also took A.P. Biology in high school, and I can also help out with Psychology as well. Furthermore, I'm also a native Spanish speaker, so if you need help with your tarea, then I'm your gal. Just holla, and I'll be there. 

Also, I'm an IT major as well, so if you're taking computer classes and need help, don't hesitate to ask me about that either. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm quite busy so I don't think it'll be right for me to make a commitment, but I would be happy to help fellow Bronies causally when the opportunity comes. 

I can tutor Chinese, Algebra, and Calculus. I can also proofread English essays.

This summer, I'm taking a writing class. I feel good about my writing, but I always appreciate feedback.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Never noticed this thread before...

I have a BA in Criminal Justice and a Juris Doctorate (Law School), so I'm happy to help anybody with any level of law or criminal justice coursework they might have.  I also have a lot of course work in English and Political Science/Government (U.S.) so I can help with high school and most college levels of coursework in those areas as well.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Omg! I am so going to bookmark this page so I can get me some tutors!!

I'd be happy to help if you ever need any math tutors :3

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

If I were better at history, and knew I could do this tutoring thing, I'd ask if I could help.

Edited by Brechard

(edited)

Sounds interesting, put me down with Daring & Luxpony in Network Security, Routing, Switches, TCP/IP, and Subnetting.  (Also, put Security Management)

Edited by Thunder-Wing

Hey guys! If anyone needs help in English or Reading at the middle school, high school, OR college level, I'm your girl! I am an actual certified secondary language arts teacher. Also I was a certified tutor for 2 years - one year I helped college kids revise essays and one year I worked at Sylvan helping middle and high school kids with reading and grammar. I'm excellent at revising any writing or helping with reading comprehension skills, fluency, etc... if you need homework help, let me know!

Im having troubles in where I put commas.Can you tell me where exactly they should go plz

I'd be happy to help if you ever need any math tutors :3[/quo[te]

Just one question:How does surface area work?Like what do you do?

Im having troubles in where I put commas.Can you tell me where exactly they should go plz.

@@pinkiepartypie

There are many ways to use the comma. So here are the many uses of the comma.

Using it in a series.

Use a comma to separate the elements in a series (three or more things), including the last two. "He hit the ball, dropped the bat, and ran to first base." You may have learned that the comma before the "and" is unnecessary, which is fine if you're in control of things. However, there are situations in which, if you don't use this comma (especially when the list is complex or lengthy), these last two items in the list will try to glom together (like macaroni and cheese). Using a comma between all the items in a series, including the last two, avoids this problem. This last comma—the one between the word "and" and the preceding word—is often called the serial comma or the Oxford comma. In newspaper writing, incidentally, you will seldom find a serial comma, but that is not necessarily a sign that it should be omitted in academic prose.

The next use of the comma is in a conjunction.

Use a comma + a little conjunction (and, but, for, nor, yet, or, so) to connect two independent clauses, as in "He hit the ball well, but he ran toward third base."

Contending that the coordinating conjunction is adequate separation, some writers will leave out the comma in a sentence with short, balanced independent clauses (such as we see in the example just given). If there is ever any doubt, however, use the comma, as it is always correct in this situation.

One of the most frequent errors in comma usage is the placement of a comma after a coordinating conjunction. We cannot say that the comma will always come before the conjunction and never after, but it would be a rare event, indeed, that we need to follow a coordinating conjunction with a comma. When speaking, we do sometimes pause after the little conjunction, but there is seldom a good reason to put a comma there.

The next use of it can be used as an introduction

Use a comma to set off introductory elements, as in "Running toward third base, he suddenly realized how stupid he looked."

It is permissible to omit the comma after a brief introductory element if the omission does not result in confusion or hesitancy in reading. If there is ever any doubt, use the comma, as it is always correct.

These are the many uses of the comma, and hopefully it helps anyone who is confused because I'm tired from typing all this.

Edited by TheDarkMysteryMan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Is there any way I can become a tutor of Portuguese? It is my mother language and i would love to help anyone in need!

If you send me a PM I can work out the details with you in regard to adding you to the tutors list.

Just a heads up: I am currently available to tutor in mathematics classes. I can help with College Algebra (or lower), Geometry, Trigonometry, AP Statistics / Introductory Probability & Statistics (or lower), and AP Calculus BC / Calculus II (or lower).

However, I am also looking for some help in areas beyond what I can currently tutor in, primarily the following:

• Calculus III (multivariable)

• Differential Equations (both ordinary and partial)

• Linear Algebra 

• Introductory Abstract/Modern Algebra 

• Introductory Real Analysis

• Introductory Complex Analysis

• Introductory Topology

• Introductory Number Theory 

If anyone can help me with one or more of the above topics, that would be awesome. If anyone can, it'd be great if you could PM me so we could work something out. Thanks :D

I love this thread so much already!

I could actually use a bit of help with college-level physics, and it looks like you have a tutor for that :D

(Do I just PM said tutor or do I have to get their attention here?)

And I'll go ahead and set myself up as a tutor too, if at all possible. I'm proficient in college-level biology and would be happy to help others learn :)

• Brohoof 2

(Do I just PM said tutor or do I have to get their attention here?)

You would PM them.

And I'll go ahead and set myself up as a tutor too, if at all possible. I'm proficient in college-level biology and would be happy to help others learn :)

Awesome :D I'll talk to you about that in the PM.

Just one question:How does surface area work?Like what do you do?

I'm really sorry for the late reply, @pinkiepartypie. I accidentally missed your post.

An Introduction to Surface Area

In regard to three dimensional space, surface area is the area of the surface of a three-dimensional object. This is due to what distinguishes between a two-dimensional shape and a three-dimensional shape. A two-dimensional shape only has length and width. Length multiplied by width gives you the area of the shape. A three-dimensional shape has both length and width, but it also introduces depth. Multiplying length by width by depth can give you the volume of the entire shape. A three-dimensional shape has a surface, which can be treated as two-dimensional as it only takes length and width into account. Thereby, it is area: surface area. You can find the area of part of a three-dimensional object's surface, or of the entire surface.

A simple example would be the surface area of one face of a cube. A cube consists of six faces and six edges. Each face is a square. The formula for the area of a square is A = s^2, where s denotes the length of any side of the square. It doesn't matter which side as a fundamental property of a square (namely that which differentiates it from a rectangle) is that its sides are all of equal length. So, the area of a face of the cube would be A = s^2. If you wanted to find the surface area of the entire cube, you would simply multiply whatever the area of a single face by 6. This is due to the fact that a cube has six faces, all of which are the exact same size.

For example, let's say you had a cube with edges of length 5. The surface area of a single face of the cube would be A = s ^ 2 = 5 ^ 2 = 5 * 5 = 25. If you wanted to calculate the entire surface area of the cube, you would multiply 25 by 6, as a cube has six faces. So, the surface area of the entire cube is 150.

This procedure can be extended to find the surface area of any elementary three-dimensional object, such as triangular prisms, rectangular prisms, cylinders, and so on. You can find algebraic formulas for the surface area of any of those figures via a google search, but if you need help with finding the surface area of any particular shape, or a specific problem please let me know and I'll be happy to help you with it.

In conclusion, a note on units. Length is in normal units. Area (including surface area) is in units squared, and volume is in units cubed. For example, let's say you had a cube with an edge of 5 feet. Its edge would be 5 feet, its total surface area would be 150 feet squared, and its volume would be be 150 feet cubed. Please note that volume is not the same thing as surface area, it just happens to be the same in this case due to the nature of a cube. 

More Advanced Considerations

You don't need to know this if you aren't in Calculus II or something equivalent, but I will touch on some more advanced (but relevant) topics in case you're interested.

The concept of surface area is not limited to elementary shapes that we have algebraic formulas for, such as cylinders, triangular prisms, and spheres. Calculus can be used to find the surface area of more irregular regions in three dimensional space.

If one wanted to approach this issue via single-variable calculus, you would extend the notion of arc length. Arc length, in the context of scalar-valued functions on a two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate plane, is interpreted as the length of a function curve over a finite interval. For example, one could calculate the arc length of the function f(x) = ln(x) over the closed interval [5,7].

I won't go into the derivation of the arc length formula here, but its roots lay in the fundamental notions of limits and, in general, interesting phenomena that occurs when a value becomes infinitely large or infinitely small. The formula for arc length comes out to be the integral with respect to x from a to b of the square root of the quantity one plus the derivative of the function the quantity squared. So, the arc length of f(x) = ln(x) over the closed interval [5,7] would be the integral with respect to x from 5 to 7 of the square root of the quantity 1 + (1/x)^2 (as the derivative of the natural logarithm is the reciprocal function). This is a definite integral so an exact numerical value can be obtained via use of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The integration would be incredibly difficult in this case, however, so use of a calculator or a computer program would be prudent. If you perform that calculation the arc length comes out to be about 2.0284 units.

To reiterate, finding the surface area of a three-dimensional object can be approached by extending the notion of arc length. One way to generate a solid in the abstract is to revolve the two-dimensional region under a function curve or between two function curves about an axis of rotation. The notion is, in essence, that rotating a two-dimensional area at an infinite speed would result in the area existing in all directions simultaneously, thereby transcending the two-dimensional plane and forming a three-dimensional object. This is a purely abstract concept that is used to mathematically approach situations that can indeed have more immediate real-world applications.

For example, one could revolve the area bounded by the y-axis, the x-axis, the function f(x) = ln(x), and the vertical line x = 5 about the x-axis. This produces a fully solid three-dimensional region with the x-axis as its center. 

In this scenario, the arc length of f(x) = ln(x) over the closed interval [0,5] could be viewed as the "area" of an infinitesimally small piece of the actual surface area of the solid. Therefore, if one utilized integration, arc length, and geometry, one can derive a formula to find the surface area of any region defined via revolution as I described above.

Due to the nature of the abstract revolution taking place, the solid will be divided up into circular cross-sections. Therefore, the formula for the circumference of a circle will come into play here. (When dealing with a similar topic regarding the volume of solids of revolution, the formula for the area of a circle comes into play.)

The formula for the surface area of a region is 2 multiplied by pi multiplied by the integral with respect to x from a to b of the quantity the radius of the solid multiplied by the square root of the quantity one plus the derivative of the function squared. In essence, this is integrating the product of the radius of the solid and the arc length of the function that, when the area it helps bound is revolved, generates the solid. 2*pi can be brought out in front of the integral sign as it is a constant. The radius of the solid is a similar notion to finding the radius of the circle. It would be the distance from the center of the solid to an outer bound. In certain situations that arise in calculus, this can be variable and therefore can be represented by a function of a variable.

Once the appropriate values are substituted into the formula the computational process will arrive at a numerical value.

One could also approach the issue of finding the surface area of an irregular three-dimensional region from a multivariable standpoint. A surface in the three-dimensional plane is defined by a function of more than one variable, such as z = f(x,y). This is in contrast to single-variable functions of the form y = f(x) that describe one-dimensional lines and curves. The notion of a double integral can be utilized to find the area of a surface in a more "natural" manner as the idea of solids of revolution is not needed here. 

The specifics of these concepts are beyond my current level of mathematical ability, but the formula for the area of a surface as defined by a function z = f(x,y) is the double integral with respect to the surface over that surface of the square root of the quantity of one plus the partial derivative of the function with respect to x plus the partial derivative of the function with respect to y. Interestingly, this is very similar to the arc length formula from single-variable calculus. (Note: A partial derivative is an approach to the differentiation of multivariable functions that involves determining the derivative of a function with respect to a single variable while holding the others constant.)

The subsequent calculation can be carried out via the utilization of iterated integrals, and a numerical answer can be ascertained. 

The discussion of surface area doesn't stop here by any means: this is just about as far as my current knowledge on the subject extends.

Please let me know if you have any questions.  :)

• Brohoof 2