Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A question on shippings

Thewookie Wooker

It was originally a girl's show

Little girls will feel more comfortable and more able to identify themselves as the characters if most of the main casts are girls too

Adds an unexpected fanbase, which most of them are boys, and good portion of them are in puberty

You got a wacky amounts of female-to-female shipping :/

Edited by Weyland
  • Brohoof 2

It was originally a girl's show

Little girls will feel more comfortable and more able to identify themselves as the characters if most of the main casts are girls too

Adds an unexpected fanbase, which most of them are boys, and good portion of them are in puberty

You got a wacky amounts of female-to-female shipping :/

Fan shippings like this happen all the time with other shows and not just with MLP, plus some of the fan pairings I've seen are downright head scratching. It works just the opposite too, shows with a large cast of guys that have a large female following, and female viewers love to pair them with other guys. Among the anime fandom these people are known as yaoi fangirls, and they can get downright scary sometimes. They love shipping guys with other guys all the time, even when the pairings don't make any sense, and for some girls, their love of some of these made up pairings can reach unhealthly levels of obsession. *shivers*

• Brohoof 1

Oh god heavens. Yaoi fangirls could be rather disturbing Posted Image

The same can also be said to yuri fanboys Posted Image

There aren't too many interesting male characters to ship, right?

You might be surprised on how many we have fics about big mac being lovey dovey with other stallion

• Brohoof 2

Oh god heavens. Yaoi fangirls could be rather disturbing Posted Image

The same can also be said to yuri fanboys Posted Image

You might be surprised on how many we have fics about big mac being lovey dovey with other stallion

Don't wanna know. But I'm a yuri fangirl, include me in your complaining! ;D

There are hardly any male character for starters, and the ones we do have are background ponies, Blueblood who is very undesirable and BigMac who has the personality of a wet fish.

>think if you have a school of 99% girls and 1% guys and the guys either have no personality or are complete Blueblood then there is gunna be some girl-to-girl fun ~

• Brohoof 2

This is my personal take on the Mane 6:

Rarity, she likes colts only. She has used flirting to get colts to work for her, along with her brief dream to marry Prince Blueblood which then is shattered when it turns out he is no gentlecolt.

Twilight, very likely is interested in colts only. Unless homosexual relationships are mainstay in Equestria, she would go by the book which rarely strays from a colt and a mare.

Fluttershy, likely is interested in colts only. She is too shy for anyone to really see a hint of any romantic preference. I would guess she may just stay single due to her fears and shy personality, Big Mac and others like him may work for her due to both are very shy and wound't scare her.

Pinkie Pie, likely is interested in colts only aswell. But she will likely be single very long due to the fact that very few could ever hope to keep up with her hyperactive lifestyle and be able to understand all her quirks. But just imagine the wedding.......

Applejack, she's a cowpony so she's less blatant but likely straight. Though she's a very independent lady she is still a mare, and doesn't really show any inklings to any of the other Mane 6, outside maybe RD. She is a true friend though and would need a colt willing to accept her independence. Most cowgirls arn't lesbians. B)

Rainbow Dash, is more of a question mark. There is some tension between her and AJ but it is unknown if its just true rivalry or a more romantic one. She's very much a tomboy but that does not necesarrily mean she's a fillyfooler but only that she may have grown up with many boy siblings or only a father figure. She still appears to be somewhat girly deep down but is very headstrong about her capabilities. Also based off of Pegusi history, they were warriors, so it may just be of a more cultural orgin.

Shankveld pretty much hit the nail on the head. The population of Ponyville is vastly female---at least from what we can observe. The Mane Six are entirely composed of females. With all the attention focused on mutual affection and friendship, shipping is bound to occur. What do we have to ship? Female ponies. I magine creating a male OC to ship with the Mane Six is probably generally frowned upon as it encroaches on the bond of that group. Furthermore, such a character would probably run the risk of being a Gary Stu, i.e., a character retaining all the traits which would be considered desirable, effectively forcing an artificial relationship onto the ponies by the desire of the writer.

And there you have it.

• Brohoof 1

Twilight, very likely is interested in colts only. Unless homosexual relationships are mainstay in Equestria, she would go by the book which rarely strays from a colt and a mare.

Personally, I think she's more then a little in love with Celestia. If there was a possibility there, I think Twilight would go for it.

• Brohoof 1

Personally, I think she's more then a little in love with Celestia. If there was a possibility there, I think Twilight would go for it.

Well, I don't know if we can definitely describe her infatuation with Celestia as equivalent to romantic feelings. It's closer to hero worship in my mind than, say, desiring her as a life partner.

I am going to assume that the nature of sexuality in My Little Pony within the purview of the show is going to be like real life (straight unless otherwise indicated). Since it would be a very foolish thing for the show to canonize any information in this regard, it prevents any considerations from becoming any more... weird than... yeah I don't know how to end this sentence.

There are hardly any male character for starters, and the ones we do have are background ponies, Blueblood who is very undesirable and BigMac who has the personality of a wet fish.

>think if you have a school of 99% girls and 1% guys and the guys either have no personality or are complete Blueblood then there is gunna be some girl-to-girl fun ~

This makes ontological sense assuming one aspect (namely libido) becomes absolutely realistic, despite retaining all other unrealistic aspects of the show (such as ponies, creatures with a thin layer of fur on almost every surface of their body, being able to grow facial hair.)

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

Well, I don't know if we can definitely describe her infatuation with Celestia as equivalent to romantic feelings. It's closer to hero worship in my mind than, say, desiring her as a life partner.

It may be hero worship. but if given a chance, I bet it could be more.

There are many male ponies in the background, just nameless.

In the Celestia + Twilight shipping, I also see more of a hero worship relationship or that of a mother and daughter. The idea of Twilight feeling romantically interested in Celestia loses credence in my book due to the mass quantity of time she spent as Celestia's student at a young age. The filly Twilight obviously wouldn't of had romantic feelings to begin with, and as she aged Twilight would of likely seen her as an adoptive mother.

She bows to the Princess most of the time but always is the first to end her bow and greet her. Then no matter what she does, she wants to achieve whatever Celestia wanted her to. Similiar to a child trying to impress his/her's parent/s.

I could see C + T more likely had Twilight began studying with Celestia at an older age. Due to her, lets say 5 to 20th years spent with Celestia; she could never see Celestia for anything aside from her teacher, and kind of a maternal figure. Remember she expects Celestia to spend time with her at the Grand Galloping Gala like a child on "Take your child" to work day.

• Brohoof 1