Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Japan's Discord IS AWESOME

FNGRpony

Well, I have to say, while he is fairly good, he has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, on John D Lancie. Just saying tongue.png

Then again, no one does.

Well John sounds more chaotic,

but that guy sounds more evil lol. 

Yes i understand discord isn't necessarily suppose to be evil,

but that old man dry voice just haunts the mind.

His laugh......

He sounds quite sinister and also quite good, but I seriously prefer the American Discord (John De Lancie) in pretty much every aspect.

It's a new look and i find it refreshing.

If mlp ever gets a full on anime franchise things like that will have won me over on arrival/

He sounds a bit like Akuma from Samurai Jack.

I'm not sold on the VA choice(and the way he chose to go about it). It just sounds kind of generic and he's lost the playfulness in his tone that made his character.  

Yeah, that is some pretty cool voice acting, but it just doesn't leave the same impact on me as John de Lancie's voice for Discord. Interested to know that his Japanese voice actor is Shigeru Chiba, the same guy who does Kefka's voice in Final Fantasy: Dissidia though.

He sounds a bit like Akuma from Samurai Jack.

I'm not sold on the VA choice(and the way he chose to go about it). It just sounds kind of generic and he's lost the playfulness in his tone that made his character.  

comparing him to akuma from jack isn't a terrible way to go.

I mind things going differently in translation.

I already know what play ful discord looks like.

Should kinda weird watching this guy get redeemed lol

• Brohoof 1

I've been meaning to ask, does anybody know where you can watch the Japanese dub episodes? I keep forgetting to watch when they're on.

There was soembody putting them on youtube and dailymotion but I think she's gone.

Edited by Fluttershutter

Discord sounds more evil but less like the way the writers intended for him to come off... I do, however feel like celestias voice is MUCH better than the American version. Rainbow sounded too girly but everyone else sounded kinda the same, pinkie was done pretty well though.

If I actually understood Japanese, I could probably give a better opinion.

But from the tone of his voice, it just isn't the same.John De Lance is jsut better at it, and the original VA. John's is also the one we've all known and loved, soI guess it's a bit of a biased opinion.Now if you were to ask a  brony from Japan, they might say that guy there is a better VA than John, simply because it's what they know as a VA.

Dubbed versions of things generally aren't that great vs the original.

I didn't quite care for him in Japanese at first. Then I started to think of Japanese lore, like oni and kitsune and then his voice kinda made more sense. It works for what it is. I do prefer the English voice, but Discord's gotta be a hard guy to translate into Japanese. The way he speaks is very witty and sarcastic, which really does not translate well into Japanse. Given that, I feel that if he sounded closer to the English voice, it wouldn't work as well. Not my favorite, but I'm fine with it.

post-4006-0-30985800-1380783757.png

Goofball clown pirate who packs a punch of evil laughs when he wants to.

post-4006-0-91359700-1380783757.png

Joyous (former) spirit of chaos who enjoys pranks and all that is nonsensical.

Buggy the Clown's Jap via from One Piece, also does Discord's Jap voice.

This is so very, very okay with me.

• Brohoof 6

Hot diggity doo. His voice is cool. Definitely not as cool as the calm, nonchalant Discord over here on the Western Hemisphere, but it's certainly pretty sweet-sauce. Can one mate with another's voice?

attachicon.gifBuggyJap.png

attachicon.gifDiscordJap.png

Wait a sec

BUGGY THE CLOWN IS DISCORD???!! I'M SO DOWN WITH THAT.

But as some others said, he still doesn't have anything on John De Lance.

On a slightly related note, what MLP needs now is Steve Blum voicing a main villain.

Yes! ^ I always speculated Buggy's voice actor playing the role of Discord in this dub.

Honestly I thought I was watching an anime. Jap Discord sounds more of a troll, but more sinister in our dub. I still prefer John L

Edited by PonyBoy15

Honestly, I think he sounds kinda generic, and a little annoying too. John D Lancie's Discord sounds much better and has a lot more character in my opinion..

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, that's amazing how you were able to point out the connection there but now that I think about, it makes a lot more sense now. I thought the voice sounded familiar. lol

Buggy the Clown is definitely one of the most hilarious characters of One Piece in my opinion. :3

Anyways, enough digression. While Japanese Discord did sound pretty epic and sinister, I personally prefer John De Lancie as the voice actor for Discord. His voice just suits and fits him all too perfectly. :P

Edited by Dsanders
  • Brohoof 2