Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who else feels that Celestia needs to show a more emotional side?

Never2muchpinkie

I really do hope we get to see Celestia's emotional side in the future. Maybe in Season 4 when the whole Nightmare Moon thing happens, we'll get to Celestia's reaction. I'm sure she wasn't going bananas when she saw her sister turn into a villain.

*Raises hand*

Ooo, OOO! I DO, I DO!!

Yes. The only reason why I don't like Sunbutt to much is because she's really dull. I prefer Luna solely because she has an interesting, complex personality. Celestia seems like she can only show one personally forever, and it's a bit strange...

Well, if she is going to show emotion, it'd better be well-placed.

Somewhere I can't help but think that what you guy might actually mean is to see Princess Celestia without her ruler facade. To get to know her at a more personal level. What does she think about besides ruling Equestria? What are the things she holds close to her heart and why? Unless you're addicted to power (that is, you are an empty person where being in power gives you the illusion of being wholesome), being a ruler can suck because of the duties and responsibilities that come with it. She could well be eager to renounce her rule so that she may go off to live a life that is finally her own. Or at least have time for her own pursuits due to having less duties.

• Brohoof 1

if she ever did break down, I would be awed. I think I would love her character a lot more if she ever showed a more human side. Or... a more pony side? You know what I mean. But I think they would have to do it right. Give her a legitimate reason to cry. If they pulled it off, it would be incredible.

Now that this topic has been out for a few days, I've come to thinking that perhaps Celestia is always seeming in a good mood because she got her sister back. Having to banish her own sister, rule alone for 1000 years, hardly a small span of time.and basically have no one who truly understands her, being one of the few immortals, wwas probably a very lonely existance. Though, given her position and the fact that we only see first see her right before Luna escapes, she may well have been quite down for a while following that period. Hence why she may have been trying to groom students into one day being her sucessor. We know from Equestria girls that she had at LEAST one other pupil she trained personally. I don't know if being turned into an alicorn=immortality, but it was probably something she needed, to have a kindred spirit to talk and relate to.

If you'll notice, after Luna eclipsed, whenever we see Luna, just as the night is different from day, Celestia is always cheery, while Luna seems very serious, especially regarding Twilight. So Luna lost a bit of her uniqueness as well.

As stated above, if Celestia is to show emotion, it will have to be done right, without breaking her character, which can only mean something serious will have to happen to Luna, Twilight, or, to a lesser extent, Spike, as Faust did say that Celestia raised him after Twilight hatched him.

Unfortunately, given that the main focus of FIM is about Twilights story and growth, the chances for a Celestia focused episode aren't that good, given that Celestia is 'perfect', thus not really relatable. In my mind, though, Celestia feels a lot of regrets for the things that have gone wrong under her care. It seems like she's given up, relegating everything to Twilight via 'tests.' We;ve seen from a few episodes that she is embarrassed to have people fawning over her, and probably wishes sometimes that she could just be a normal pony like everyone else, if only for a day.

• Brohoof 2

Unfortunately, given that the main focus of FIM is about Twilights story and growth, the chances for a Celestia focused episode aren't that good, given that Celestia is 'perfect', thus not really relatable.

This is one of the reasons I'm so happy about the mid-series alicoronation of Twilight. Celestia still has to maintain her perfect image for the general populace, but no longer for Twilight. And being that the story is primarily about Twilight, the writers can now explore Celestia's personality through their close relationship and status as equals (i.e. Twilestia shipper's delightbiggrin.png)

I agree with you that Celestia has most likely been in an honest good mood throughout the series thanks to Luna's return. And that's a good theory, that training Twilight may have been a form of Xanatos gambit... either Twilight saves Luna and the 3 of them live happily ever after, or Nightmare Moon has to be killed, which would emotionally kill Celestia as well, so she needed to have a replacement lined up.

Fortunately it went the happy way, thus Twilight is Celestia's favorite pony in the world along with Luna, and Celestia was already Twilight's favorite pony in the world ever since first sight, so I want hugs and kisses and opening up and crying about past mistakes and all that mushy stuff blush.png And aside from the kisses, there's nothing stopping the writers from doing any of that at this point.

Actually, it's entirely plausible that Luna is jealous of Twilight's relationship with Celestia, hence the glaring. But confused because she also likes Twilight herself, not to mention saving her from her previous jealousy-induced trauma. This would make a great opener or finale for season 4, IMO. A serious conflict, with no enemy, and naturally solved by friendship smile.png

I feel like Celestia really needs more than anything to be put in an emotional situation, rather than having emotion forced upon her in general. Generally, monarchs are supposed to be professional, so for her to more emotional maybe we could have an episode focusing more on her personal life as opposed to her just generally showing more emotion in every episode.

• Brohoof 1

Nice to see that ponies here do understand that you can't just shoehorn emotions on princess Celestia willy-nilly. I saw that got done on Samus Aran in the game Metroid Other M. To make a long story short; it destroyed her character, set the Metroid fandom on fire with the series itself on an apparent hiatus. So yeah...

• Brohoof 1

I've always felt that those in power, even in equestria, generally have to mask their emotions if they are negative and keep them to a minimum if they are positive. Otherwise, I would love to see an episode about Celestia`s down time.

Nice to see that ponies here do understand that you can't just shoehorn emotions on princess Celestia willy-nilly. I saw that got done on Samus Aran in the game Metroid Other M. To make a long story short; it destroyed her character, set the Metroid fandom on fire with the series itself on an apparent hiatus. So yeah...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I want her character to be destroyed by becoming an overly emotional drama queen who wears her heart on her sleeve. I just want the parts of her, the casual Celestia, to be shown some more. Like if the GGG episode had continued past the donut shop. I would like to see a worried Celestia. Her unbreakable faith is just a little too strong. The characters only seem to succeed in the end because its the kind of show where the good guys have to win in the end. Now THAT would make an interesting episode, to see an enemy even the elements of harmony can't overpower, which probably means a team up with discord.

Thinking on it, what I most want to see is a vulnerable Celestia. Okay, she was beaten by Queen Chrysalis, but I mean emotionally vulnerable. Someone please get me a picture of Celestia crying under a 'Nightmare Moon" moon, sad that she had to seal away her only(?) sister. As stated by me and several others, if those kinds of emotions are to be shown, they have to be appropriately written, because nothing else but something really extreme is going to bring out that sort of reaction from her.

I know she is ment to be the mentor and mother figure but I do agree, some emotional responce would be nice. The only time she came close to getting "mad" was during Return of harmony and even then she didn't even raiser her voice or break an octive.

she is a little too Nuetral