Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who else feels that Celestia needs to show a more emotional side?

Never2muchpinkie

Princess Celestia has been shown several personality facets. For most of season one she was all sunshine and rainbows. Season two broadened that a little, giving her angry moments with Lesson Zero and Return of Harmony. A pranking side in A bird in the hoof. The best night ever and sweet and elite showed that she's a little uncomfortable having people fawn over her.  A Canterlot Wedding showed that she isn't invincible.

All those are good, it keeps her from being one-dimensional, but really I'd love to see an emotionally vulnerable side, to see her break down over something and cry some good honest tears. She's always so controlled, to the point that in "My little dashie", one of the most popular MLP fanfics, when he says that even Celestia was crying, I just couldn't picture it. (On a side note, trying to look up Celestia crying images nets almost nothing, and they don't look too good) Why she is that way is obvious, though.Her position as Princess of Equestria seldom gives her the time to express her emotions freely and honestly. Who knows? Maybe she lets her guard down with Luna since they are sisters.  And maybe after living over a thousand years there is just very little that surprises or shocks her anymore. The more you see the more prepared you are for the things that come up.

If you look at Luna in Luna Eclipsed, she becomes so moe in that episode you can't help but love her, especially once the townfolks accept her and she just spends her time playing with them. The only casual visit Celestia was going to have was during the Parasprite episode, and even then Twilight wouldn't LET it be casual, maknig sure everything looked perfect and wanting banners put up. And Celestia wasn't able to visit the town anyway because of the disaster. I think A bird in the hoof wasn't so much casual as Celestia wanting to know more about Twilights friends, so correct me if thats wrong.

So there are my thoughts. What do you think? Do we need a crying Celestia, or should she keep showing only her strong side? I believe it would net Celestia a lot more fans, and maybe quiet a few of the Trollestia people.

Edited by Never2muchpinkie
  • Brohoof 3

Frankly, I do want Celestia to show more emotions since not a lot of ponies can just have one emotion all of the time. I do want her to show more emotions in Season Four, to see if there is a side of her that we don't know about.

I do want her to have more emotional moments, because she's a big character in the MLP universe considering she's the princess of Equestria and all that, but even princesses gotta get emotional sometimes.

Well I think part of it is her lack of overall screen time as she only shows up sometimes.

However I think part of it is that after living like 1000 years or more she has seen a lot and is much stronger and maybe less sensitive then a lot of ponies. Or she just doesn't have reasons to be sad anytime enough to cry idk.

I suppose given a good enough reason her crying would be fine, it would add to her charactor if done right.

I mean she technically I think had tears of joy during the pilot episode, but other then that I guess no actual sad tears.

Maybe being some pony all the ponies look up to as a strong ruler she can't let them see her weak.

Who knows, but I to can't picture celestia crying out of sadness frankly, unless it's like her as a filly.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think she needs to show more emotion I quite like her the way she is especially at the end of lesson zero when twilight is talking to Celestia and the other 5 ponies barge in and start going on about how it was their fault, and the look Celestia gives them just cracks me up.

Making Celestia more emotional would truly make her a more lovable character. I would guess that it's the main reason why people often say that Luna's the better princess. At first, Luna was a fallen character who became Nightmare Moon who was eventually restored as Princess Luna. Imagine Princess Celestia having some sort of story that made her a fallen character of sorts before rising from the ashes. It would make her a lot cooler that's for sure.

Hmm... INTJ's (since Celestia is this type) doesn't tend to show their emotions very often. It takes something huge for them to show their feels. But well, they could always do something huge to Celestia to make her cry.

But I don't know... my father is an INTJ, too, and I saw him cry once, it was awfully painfull to see. Unless you want another scene that hurts, I think it's a bad idea lol.

Well I think she needs more screen time in general. Hopefully we will get a Luna/Celestia episode or something. We see very little of her and she only appears every now and then. But of course we need to see more of her emotional side. However, I'm wondering what Celestia will be doing now when Twilight is Princess. Maybe we won't see as much of her :V

I think what we need to see is more of Celestia outside of her roles as mentor and ruler and with twilicorn though I still have some lingering concerns about it does present some potential opportunities for that. We have seen some subtle hints of it but we haven't really seen it like we have with Luna.

Well I think part of it is her lack of overall screen time as she only shows up sometimes.

However I think part of it is that after living like 1000 years or more she has seen a lot and is much stronger and maybe less sensitive then a lot of ponies. Or she just doesn't have reasons to be sad anytime enough to cry idk.

I suppose given a good enough reason her crying would be fine, it would add to her charactor if done right.

I mean she technically I think had tears of joy during the pilot episode, but other then that I guess no actual sad tears.

Maybe being some pony all the ponies look up to as a strong ruler she can't let them see her weak.

Who knows, but I to can't picture celestia crying out of sadness frankly, unless it's like her as a filly.

Thank you. You reminded me of something I forgot to add. You're probably right thst after 1000 years she has reached the point where few things shock or upset her anymore.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you. You reminded me of something I forgot to add. You're probably right thst after 1000 years she has reached the point where few things shock or upset her anymore.

Welcome! And yeah, not to mention what does shock her she has so much wisdom I imagine she has learned to deal with a lot of stuff.

Well given that we never really see the private Celestia and only the public one, it be rare to see her very emotional. Leaders aren't usually expected to be emotional. Queen Elizabeth II is a good, living example, of leader in great control of her emotions. Celestia is similar but actually may show more emotions than QE II. If they show her being more emotional that's fine, but it has to stay true to the character.

Oh I'm sure we'll see a more emotional side from her eventually, I think have at least a little bit already since Celestia's Ballad seemed like a very emotional song to me, and now that Twilight's a princess and might have to take up Celestia's mantle sometime I think we have a chance to maybe see a lot more emotion on display from her, especially if her and Twilight somehow get more personal with one another which they probably will. :yay:

I'm going to slip into over analyze mode here. Celestia as a long lifer/immortal, has had time to learn how to compartmentalize herself. To protect her sanity, she has to keep all the ephemeral ponies at a distance. Read Robert Heinlein's novel "Time Enough for Love" the section called "The Tale of the Adopted Daughter" to see what I mean. The pain is far too great if an immortal grows too close to an ephemeral. I think this was why she longed to have her sister restored to her side. At least she has somepony who can understand.

• Brohoof 3

I think she shows a wide enough range of emotion already. She doesn't need to get loud about it.

But it would be good to see her have a problem(a personal problem, not a fate of Equestria thing) and need help solving it.

• Brohoof 1

To be honest I really don't care but it would be nice to see her cry in one part of an episode or something. A good time would be the time when Twilight turned into an Alicorn.

Edited by ~Glimmer Lily~

I don't see a brief moment of emotion as something that will change anybodys feelings on her. We've seen her shed a tear in the second episode, show anger in lesson zero/canterlot wedding and a cheeky grin or similar in several places. These only last a few seconds and do nothing for her overall charcter.

Emotionless is boring.

They need to take her out of the 'above it all and nothing phases me' hole she has been dug into. Being thought of as wise and all knowing/planning is a crappy place for a character to be imo.

Perhaps an episode where she actually holds an important role and not just there to congratulate Twilight.

God I hope Luna/Celestia get an episode in season 4 which isn't just a flashback episode, or have anything to do with the mane6/Twilight in particular.

Edited by Soggy Salamander

excellent idea for a topic, i think Celestia should get more of a personality aswell. She was meant to sagely but more emotion would be a welcome change of pace. it might be very interesting to get an episode like luna eclipsed but with the focus on celestia. That being said i don't mind her sagely mentor position and it was refreshing to see she isn't deus ex machina in the royal wedding.

I didn't say this in my first post, but I'd rather the writers explore her emotions, stronger emotions, by exploring her past more deeply like Luna's fall and Discord's rise to power. Lullaby for a Princess, although not canon, is a good example of how I think she feels when alone. And as Luna said in her reply? "Such is the weight of the crown that we wear, sister, Duties we always uphold." She has a job to do.

Also subtle emotions and a subtle personality can be just as enjoyable as an out their personality like Pinkie Pie.

I think the fact Celestia is able to use dark magic that works on fear and hate is sign she isn't all sunshine. no doubt once upon a time she too was all fury, leading from the front, using the royal "we" using the royal canterlot voice and all that.

She's probably all mellow as she currently is because prior to the show the only upheaval she'd faced was NMM, after that she managed to maintain stability for 1000 years.

Edited by Greenfield

I think Celestia doesnt need just more emotion, I feel she deserves a episode centered around her, that would be better then just a cameo every now and then

um, i've made the argument the lack of emotion is the writers portraying she is the aloof deity.

By and large i think her years of immortality (or several extended life) have left us with the celestial we see.  Now if you wanted a more emotional celestial I'd suggest a episode where she and possibly luna are reverted back in age,

we're the writers could show a full blown bratty Celestial, an immature one, free to shuck responsibility