Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

do you feel left behind by Alicorn twilight?

FNGRpony

This is one of Digi's best when he puts up that picture of discord and goes
"Some of you simply don't wanna be better."

I felt myself give a sickening grin.  It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I for one don't mind alicorn twilight,

cause well, i'm not convinced we've seen the last of twilight's break downs.

A wise cruel man once said

"the greater the climb, the great the fall."

It's funny to watch a librarian fail.

It's down right hysterical to see a princess suck and die ^ ~, and yes i know at the end of the episode it'll be all better,

but in that moment MFFFFFF that marvelous parasprite moment, where twilight sparkle just checks out I'll be waiting with a great big hug on the insanity train for my dear old friend Twilight sparkle.

your friend and mine.

Sincerely

For No Good Reason.

Well, just because Twilight Sparkle is an Alicorn princess does not mean that her personality has changed. All characters are not actually deemed perfect since, they need to have flaws to begin with. Basically, we have yet to see more of Alicorn Twilight just yet until Season Four.

Well, just because Twilight Sparkle is an Alicorn princess does not mean that her personality has changed. All characters are not actually deemed perfect since, they need to have flaws to begin with. Basically, we have yet to see more of Alicorn Twilight just yet until Season Four.

And I totally agree with you, but Digi's question is a valid one i just felt like re asking.

Do some fans feel like they lost a friend when twilight got her wings?

And I totally agree with you, but Digi's question is a valid one i just felt like re asking.

Do some fans feel like they lost a friend when twilight got her wings?

I've got to agree with Digi. When a character changes, the fans aren't able to accept any change even if the change isn't a huge impact on them. In reality, people can't accept change.

This somewhat goes with a general trend in people's preferences for characters and entertainment. Many people, myself included, are more interested in characters that they can relate to than characters who are perfect role models.

I haven't had a huge issue with feeling left behind by Alicorn Twilight in particular. Part of this is that I haven't felt as connected to her as many people in the fandom seem to, though as the series progressed I have felt like she was less relatable to me than before. The question I want to ask is, if people liked Twilight Sparkle because they saw something of themself in her, are they not justified in being unhappy if that connection has diminished?

I do think that Digibrony has nothing in common with the people he's trying to speak for, and that trying to tie in people who didn't like Discord's reformation to his argument to make it an overarching theme is seeing a big picture that isn't necessarily there. There are loads of people who feel loads of different ways about how characters have developed for loads of different reasons. It doesn't make sense to try to point to people being afraid of characters improving when there are loads of popular characters, Luna, Trixie, Rainbow Dash, etc, whose developments have been received overall very well.

Tl;dr, a little but I disagree with the point that the video is trying to make.

Unfortunately, my answer is no, I cannot accept the change for Alicorn Twilight now, or perhaps ever given the way it was done.Why? This wasn't done as good plot writing, nor was it done for the bronies (haha silly bronies think that the folks at Hasbro give a damn about you). It was done to make money and in the belief that it would appeal to little younger girls in the ridiculously hackneyed to death cliche that little girls should look up to princesses as role models. I'm sorry but my answer is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rendXsIH8

I will try my best to tolerate Alicorn Twilight and I love her as I still do. I just won't accept her. The motto is to "love and tolerate," not love and accept.

Edited by Cwanky
  • Brohoof 1

Am I the only one who was totally absolutely thrilled by Twilight becoming an Alicorn Princess? I can not wait to see how it's handled in the show. To me, it makes total sense that she made this transition to a higher level of existence. 

• Brohoof 3

Unfortunately, my answer is no, I cannot accept the change for Alicorn Twilight now, or perhaps ever given the way it was done.Why? This wasn't done as good plot writing, nor was it done for the bronies (haha silly bronies think that the folks at Hasbro give a damn about you). It was done to make money and in the belief that it would appeal to little younger girls in the ridiculously hackneyed to death cliche that little girls should look up to princesses as role models. I'm sorry but my answer is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2rendXsIH8

I will try my best to tolerate Alicorn Twilight and I love her as I still do. I just won't accept her. The motto is to "love and tolerate," not love and accept.

There's nothing unfortunate about it,

i was hopping for at least one no. 

And honestly hasbro does care.

They made the movie for the bronies seriously look at it (LOL).

It's not made very well for them, no doubt.

But it is made for them non the less.

And yes magical mystery cure to me is well...

I hate it ^^,

but i hate singing.  There was no way I was gonna love that episode no matter what happened at the end.

The elder god Cthulu could rissen at the end of that episode and it still would sucked.  (arguable less so).

Being totally open minded that yes Twilight alicorn is likely a money grab.

yes the episode that made her wasn't enjoyable (to me).

I don't see why that means she sucks?

Didn't boast masters suck?

Does that mean trixie sucks (haven't seen that one yet).

Of course not.  But that was he intro into the show.

And for that reason I would totally ask alicorn twilight get another chance.

Don't be sorry for desenting.

if everyone agree's it's not much of a discussion.

Am I the only one who was totally absolutely thrilled by Twilight becoming an Alicorn Princess? I can not wait to see how it's handled in the show. To me, it makes total sense that she made this transition to a higher level of existence. 

Totally thrilled?  At times.  at worst i'm 60 percent for than against and at my best moments i'd go up to 80 percent.

But totally thrilled?

I can empathize with the nay sayers on alicorn twilight.

Yes it's all based on fear and speculation.

But hay I love fear and speculation.  Alicorn twilight doesn't bug me and can't bug me cause well.....

i haven't seen her in a normal episode.

She's the new norm right?  It could go amazingly well.

or this could be a titanic mistake.

I am excited to see how it goes.

• Brohoof 1

I feel DigiBrony, like a lot of prominent figures in the MLP community, is quick to fall back to the "You just don't like change!" argument, and it's quite frankly setting a poor example. Though some people do have trouble adapting, the wider problem with relating is that most people work for years, in some cases decades, to get to high positions in their field, so for a character to go from a commoner to a royal in three seasons is quite alienating.For example, I have an interest in politics and want to major Political Science in college. I know I have fears and anxieties to over come, but I also know that I've overcome fears and anxieties before. But that doesn't mean I expect to become Speaker of the House after 3 years out of college. I'm currently reading the autobiography of Tip O'Neill, a former Speaker of the House, who first started in politics when he worked on a campaign when he was 15 in 1928. It took him 50 years to become speaker of the house, not 5.

Overall, the main problem with MMC was timing. She got rewarded for her efforts far quicker than can realistically be expected in real life. If it had been saved as the series finale, things would be different. I'm certainly happy for here, but being happy for someone and Identifying with them are two different things. It might also have softened the blow if they had said "Okay, Twilight has reached the end of her story arch, let's focus on somebody new!" This last idea has actually been tossed around quite a bit from what I can tell.

• Brohoof 1

I feel DigiBrony, like a lot of prominent figures in the MLP community, is quick to fall back to the "You just don't like change!" argument, and it's quite frankly setting a poor example. Though some people do have trouble adapting, the wider problem with relating is that most people work for years, in some cases decades, to get to high positions in their field, so for a character to go from a commoner to a royal in three seasons is quite alienating.For example, I have an interest in politics and want to major Political Science in college. I know I have fears and anxieties to over come, but I also know that I've overcome fears and anxieties before. But that doesn't mean I expect to become Speaker of the House after 3 years out of college. I'm currently reading the autobiography of Tip O'Neill, a former Speaker of the House, who first started in politics when he worked on a campaign when he was 15 in 1928. It took him 50 years to become speaker of the house, not 5.

Overall, the main problem with MMC was timing. She got rewarded for her efforts far quicker than can realistically be expected in real life. If it had been saved as the series finale, things would be different. I'm certainly happy for here, but being happy for someone and Identifying with them are two different things. It might also have softened the blow if they had said "Okay, Twilight has reached the end of her story arch, let's focus on somebody new!" This last idea has actually been tossed around quite a bit from what I can tell.

In my opinion, this is a bit of a terrible argument against it. Time doesn't flow in a cartoon as it does in real life. There are many animes and cartoons that have had plenty of development in a relatively short time frame. With these three seasons, that is over the course of 2.5 years. That is actually quite long for a show like this and I feel that this was a better way to handle. As far as I know, this was the original end for the series. By doing it this way, we can actually see how this can shake the formula up a bit and we can actually see some results of her ascension, potentially at least. I really like that idea more than just; 'Here is a huge change, okay, shows over'. I want to see the characters learn and whatnot and I want to see the results of it. With this, we are getting that and the show continues instead of ending. That is a good deal.

Original topic, I feel that Digi has a surprisingly good argument here. Many have thrown this argument around that 'Oh she isn't relatable anymore!' Why? Because she accomplished something great? People change, things change, that is kinda how it goes. As far as we know her personality has not dramatically changed at this point so I think it makes that complaint even more baseless. We went 2.5 years without any major changes to the characters themselves overall and this is probably the first major one that has happened and I love that. Take me as an example. I know that I am not destined for greatness and I have many flaws in my personality that I know I cannot change, since a decent amount of them are as a result of my mental problems. Here though, I love seeing the characters overcome certain flaws and achieving these things, things that I know I cannot do. It makes me appreciate them EVEN MORE than I already did, which was a lot. Celestia's Ballad really made me reflect on that. I have already expressed why I think Twilicorn is a great idea and why I personally love it so I am just retreading old ground here.

So no, I don't feel 'left behind' by her now because I feel happy for her instead. There are a couple of things I could relate on with Twilight and I have no doubt that I can relate to those things still. Can I relate to her being a princess or something just as great? No, but that is not a bad thing. She has achieved something great and not everyone is cut out for that kind of thing, like me. I am not very special and I am not destined to become anything great and I probably won't, but seeing such a great and loveable character like Twilight gain this makes me smile in happiness and not in demented remorse like many have apparently had. I can guarantee that there are still many things to relate to with Twilight for many people, they are just too traumatized by this new thing that they feel that the character is now completely alien, which is not the case. Bobby Curnow at IDW has said this himself (he has the scripts for season 4 and has read them). Twilicorn is one of the many things I loved about season 3, the new advancements overall being the main thing.

Would everyone feel 'left behind' by Rainbow Dash if she were accepted into the Wonderbolts? That is something I have wondered for a long time now.

I apologize for my terrible wording here. I have said many, many times why I personally love the whole thing and I have presented this kind of argument before. I just want to end this post with this;

I just hope everyone can stay positive. I think that is what is needed, a positive outlook because things really don't look bad. In fact, they look great to me. Twilight advances as a character and rightfully so, we have a full season upon us and the show continues on, not to mention Derpy's return. I guess I have seen so much fear and negativity so far over this hiatus that I hope more and more will embrace a positive outlook. Many apparently are already doing this. I hope that trend continues. smile.png There really is A LOT that we have to look forward to and Alicorn Twilight is one of those things for me.

So keep a positive outlook if possible.

Edited by Kyoshi

In my opinion, this is a bit of a terrible argument against it. Time doesn't flow in a cartoon as it does in real life. There are many animes and cartoons that have had plenty of development in a relatively short time frame. With these three seasons, that is over the course of 2.5 years. That is actually quite long for a show like this and I feel that this was a better way to handle. As far as I know, this was the original end for the series. By doing it this way, we can actually see how this can shake the formula up a bit and we can actually see some results of her ascension, potentially at least. I really like that idea more than just; 'Here is a huge change, okay, shows over'. I want to see the characters learn and whatnot and I want to see the results of it. With this, we are getting that and the show continues instead of ending. That is a good deal.

Original topic, I feel that Digi has a surprisingly good argument here. Many have thrown this argument around that 'Oh she isn't relatable anymore!' Why? Because she accomplished something great? People change, things change, that is kinda how it goes. As far as we know her personality has not dramatically changed at this point so I think it makes that complaint even more baseless. We went 2.5 years without any major changes to the characters themselves overall and this is probably the first major one that has happened and I love that. Take me as an example. I know that I am not destined for greatness and I have many flaws in my personality that I know I cannot change, since a decent amount of them are as a result of my mental problems. Here though, I love seeing the characters overcome certain flaws and achieving these things, things that I know I cannot do. It makes me appreciate them EVEN MORE than I already did, which was a lot. Celestia's Ballad really made me reflect on that. I have already expressed why I think Twilicorn is a great idea and why I personally love it so I am just retreading old ground here.

So no, I don't feel 'left behind' by her now because I feel happy for her instead. There are a couple of things I could relate on with Twilight and I have no doubt that I can relate to those things still. Can I relate to her being a princess or something just as great? No, but that is not a bad thing. She has achieved something great and not everyone is cut out for that kind of thing, like me. I am not very special and I am not destined to become anything great and I probably won't, but seeing such a great and loveable character like Twilight gain this makes me smile in happiness and not in demented remorse like many have apparently had. I can guarantee that there are still many things to relate to with Twilight for many people, they are just too traumatized by this new thing that they feel that the character is now completely alien, which is not the case. Bobby Curnow at IDW has said this himself (he has the scripts for season 4 and has read them). Twilicorn is one of the many things I loved about season 3, the new advancements overall being the main thing.

Would everyone feel 'left behind' by Rainbow Dash if she were accepted into the Wonderbolts? That is something I have wondered for a long time now.

I apologize for my terrible wording here. I have said many, many times why I personally love the whole thing and I have presented this kind of argument before. I just want to end this post with this;

I just hope everyone can stay positive. I think that is what is needed, a positive outlook because things really don't look bad. In fact, they look great to me. Twilight advances as a character and rightfully so, we have a full season upon us and the show continues on, not to mention Derpy's return. I guess I have seen so much fear and negativity so far over this hiatus that I hope more and more will embrace a positive outlook. Many apparently are already doing this. I hope that trend continues. img-1936941-1-smile.png There really is A LOT that we have to look forward to and Alicorn Twilight is one of those things for me.

So keep a positive outlook if possible.

You say that time doesn't flow in cartoons the way it does in real life, yet you go on to use a real life measurement of time. And if time doesn't pass in Equestria at the same pace as in our world, how fast does it go? Explain to me how 50 earth years is 2.5 Equestrian years. If Twilight's personality will not become different as we have been reassured time and time again, how can becoming an Alicorn Princess be called character development? 2.5 years is not a lot of time for career development in the human world.  People take decades to work their way to the top of their field. When he said relateable, I'm pretty sure he meant relateable as to the viewer, not to other cartoon characters. I'm not sure how else he could have meant that. Did Twilight really need to become an Alicorn Princess to show how far she'd progressed? Finally, switching focus from the current mane six to somebody else doesn't mean "show's over!" it means switching focus to somebody else who hasn't reached their pinnacle. You can try and the milk the "oh being a royal is soooo hard" cliche for a few episodes, but it's going to get old eventually. Why not focus on some new blood?

I disagree with you. From the way I saw it, DigiBrony said that the reason people say they don't relate to her is that they're too lazy to overcome their own flaws in real life and want her to stay stuck with them. That's a very rash generalization, not to mention a HUGE insult if you ask me. Overall, I find DigiBrony to be one of many MLP reviewers who confuse liking something with believing that it is of good quality. They think that if they like something, it must be of good quality, and any criticism of it is an attack on them, and vice versa. And further more, they seem inclined to judge somebody's entire personality based on one change they don't like. That's NOT okay. You say that not being able to relate with the turn Twilight's life has taken isn't a big deal. Using myself as an example, I used to identify with here because I was a book-shy loner who didn't have any real friends and was struggling which what the future might hold. I was actual recruited into the fandom by a group of guys who became my friends, and MLP was very much the thing that kept us together. When Twilicorn debuted, it pretty much ripped our group apart, and some of us haven't spoken to each other since. Personally I could no longer relate to her because I can't go to my boss, do a job for them, and get promoted to some high up for position, I have to slowly work my way up.

We can't really know for sure until season 4 comes what it will be like, but positive speculation is just as useless as negative speculation, and can be equally unhealthy for the fandom. Still, I think the writers did a sloppy job in S3 that will leave them with a lot to make up for, but that's for another thread.

• Brohoof 1

You say that time doesn't flow in cartoons the way it does in real life, yet you go on to use a real life measurement of time. And if time doesn't pass in Equestria at the same pace as in our world, how fast does it go? Explain to me how 50 earth years is 2.5 Equestrian years. If Twilight's personality will not become different as we have been reassured time and time again, how can becoming an Alicorn Princess be called character development? 2.5 years is not a lot of time for career development in the human world.  People take decades to work their way to the top of their field. When he said relateable, I'm pretty sure he meant relateable as to the viewer, not to other cartoon characters. I'm not sure how else he could have meant that. Did Twilight really need to become an Alicorn Princess to show how far she'd progressed? Finally, switching focus from the current mane six to somebody else doesn't mean "show's over!" it means switching focus to somebody else who hasn't reached their pinnacle. You can try and the milk the "oh being a royal is soooo hard" cliche for a few episodes, but it's going to get old eventually. Why not focus on some new blood?

I disagree with you. From the way I saw it, DigiBrony said that the reason people say they don't relate to her is that they're too lazy to overcome their own flaws in real life and want her to stay stuck with them. That's a very rash generalization, not to mention a HUGE insult if you ask me. Overall, I find DigiBrony to be one of many MLP reviewers who confuse liking something with believing that it is of good quality. They think that if they like something, it must be of good quality, and any criticism of it is an attack on them, and vice versa. And further more, they seem inclined to judge somebody's entire personality based on one change they don't like. That's NOT okay. You say that not being able to relate with the turn Twilight's life has taken isn't a big deal. Using myself as an example, I used to identify with here because I was a book-shy loner who didn't have any real friends and was struggling which what the future might hold. I was actual recruited into the fandom by a group of guys who became my friends, and MLP was very much the thing that kept us together. When Twilicorn debuted, it pretty much ripped our group apart, and some of us haven't spoken to each other since. Personally I could no longer relate to her because I can't go to my boss, do a job for them, and get promoted to some high up for position, I have to slowly work my way up.

We can't really know for sure until season 4 comes what it will be like, but positive speculation is just as useless as negative speculation, and can be equally unhealthy for the fandom. Still, I think the writers did a sloppy job in S3 that will leave them with a lot to make up for, but that's for another thread.

I used 2.5 years as the reference because for some other shows, a lot can happen in 2.5 years of our time because as I said, time doesn't flow the same in most shows. 2.5 years for us could be 100 years for a TV show in development. That should be a little obvious but whatever. You have made me lose entire interest in this discussion by first saying this 'If her personality doesn't change then it isn't character advancement!' (Which that is absurd) and then proceed to say this 'Our little group was basically torn apart by Twilicorn!' So if they did not do any advancement like you just said because they are not radically changing her personality from the start, then why the hell did your little group just fall apart? Where is the logic in that AT ALL? Besides, that isn't the shows fault that your group just gives up on a character that achieves something. So damned if they do, damned if they don't. You are not the first person to bring that up and many Twilicorn haters have revolved around that recently. Most apparently just don't want it. Well, it happened, so, that is that. That is all I have to say about it as I feel a longer discussion isn't needed here, especially between us. I have pretty much said what I have wanted. I just think many of the hardcore haters need to give it a chance, but then again, we all know you will.

She got rewarded for her efforts far quicker than can realistically be expected in real life.

Real life this is not. Twilight, upon achieving a much higher level of magical ability, underwent a magical/genetic change that altered her body and rapidly produced wings. That is not something you can equate to Tip O'Neill, taking fifty years to get enough people to vote for him to get a power position. As for being "rewarded", the change looked to me to be self imposed. Celestia, as I have mentioned in other threads, was only there in "otherspace" to keep Twilight calm as the change took place. That was why her song was so peaceful and gentle. It was almost a form of hypnosis to keep Twilight from going into a panic. Think about it. If Twilight just suddenly appeared in nothingness, and her body began to alter, it would impose sheer terror. 

Honestly I think DigiBrony is correct to a certain degree. Even on this board I've read a lot of threads from bronies who liked Twilight because her more extreme character traits matched their own perceived ones. The thing about Twilight is that inspite of her tendencies to worry and be OCD she was very put together overall and was a high achiever. Do generalizations suck and hurt people's feelings? Yes but that doesn't make them wrong. The reality of life is that high school and young adulthood comes to an end and you have to make something of yourself and find your destiny. Twilight worked hard, didn't complain, and was rewarded. If you don't believe that is how the world works you need to grow up.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 1

In anime there are some Timeskips where ALL of the main character change a little bit. Why nobody is complaining about Sasukes new cloth? Why nobody is complaining that Vegeta and Bulma got married? Why nobody is complaining about Zoros new ability?

I swear, this fandom is VERY immature sometimes

• Brohoof 2

In anime there are some Timeskips where ALL of the main character change a little bit. Why nobody is complaining about Sasukes new cloth? Why nobody is complaining that Vegeta and Bulma got married? Why nobody is complaining about Zoros new ability?

I swear, this fandom is VERY immature sometimes

WOAH,

every dbz fan I know was pissed the fuck off there was no episode where vegita even came close to going from bad ass villian to bam new season married with bulma and has a kid.

In fact that whole concept is how i defend filler episodes "Hay if filler would gave up how those two ever fell in love, I would been curious to at least peak."

MLP FIM doesn't seem to do significant time skips. 

Not sure.  it's kinda hard to tell.

Let me ask a serious question?

How long did it take Sombre to well, become a evil bad ass?

Vs the time it took for twilight to become a alicorn?

Now i know what your gonna say "why should that matter?"

cause evil is suppose to be the fast easy way LOL.

Lets suppose every season is one year passing (maybe less)

do you think Sombre became a horrible tyrant in 3 years flat?

It normally hasn't bugged me until i tried making a argument on "is it to fast?"

But than again you could just say "PFf sombre sucks."

and i'd be dead in the water lol.

WOAH,

every dbz fan I know was pissed the fuck off there was no episode where vegita even came close to going from bad ass villian to bam new season married with bulma and has a kid.

In fact that whole concept is how i defend filler episodes "Hay if filler would gave up how those two ever fell in love, I would been curious to at least peak."

MLP FIM doesn't seem to do significant time skips. 

Not sure.  it's kinda hard to tell.

Let me ask a serious question?

How long did it take Sombre to well, become a evil bad ass?

Vs the time it took for twilight to become a alicorn?

Now i know what your gonna say "why should that matter?"cause evil is suppose to be the fast easy way LOL.

Lets suppose every season is one year passing (maybe less)

do you think Sombre became a horrible tyrant in 3 years flat?

It normally hasn't bugged me until i tried making a argument on "is it to fast?"

But than again you could just say "PFf sombre sucks."

and i'd be dead in the water lol.

Sombra is a villain, who is very mysterious, Nobody asks HP Lovecraft about Cthulhu because the more you know about a Villain that is suppost to be scary the less scary they become. And when he first appeared he was already a badass Tyrant who killed an alicorn and took over her empire, That is enough to know about him for the Episode, no need to go further because we know enough to know that hes a threat.

Twilight on the other hand is a main character, we seen her get devoloped, we seen her learn lessons, we seen her defeat villains, we seen enough in these three seasons to know shes worthy of being an alicorn

(edited)

Sombra is a villain, who is very mysterious, Nobody asks HP Lovecraft about Cthulhu because the more you know about a Villain that is suppost to be scary the less scary they become. And when he first appeared he was already a badass Tyrant who killed an alicorn and took over her empire, That is enough to know about him for the Episode, no need to go further because we know enough to know that hes a threat.

Twilight on the other hand is a main character, we seen her get devoloped, we seen her learn lessons, we seen her defeat villains, we seen enough in these three seasons to know shes worthy of being an alicorn

Ahem

hp love craft is no longer with us that is why no one asks

the work is public domain any smuck can and will and have added to the content.

unless i miss my guess wasn't his work unpopular well after his hay day?

making hp love craft who till this day a "cult fallowing at best." a horrible example in every form possible?

Love crafts stuff is mostly good in well, concept,

just like most grim dark fics.

in fact exactly like that.

Edited by FNGRpony

I used 2.5 years as the reference because for some other shows, a lot can happen in 2.5 years of our time because as I said, time doesn't flow the same in most shows. 2.5 years for us could be 100 years for a TV show in development. That should be a little obvious but whatever. You have made me lose entire interest in this discussion by first saying this 'If her personality doesn't change then it isn't character advancement!' (Which that is absurd) and then proceed to say this 'Our little group was basically torn apart by Twilicorn!' So if they did not do any advancement like you just said because they are not radically changing her personality from the start, then why the hell did your little group just fall apart? Where is the logic in that AT ALL? Besides, that isn't the shows fault that your group just gives up on a character that achieves something. So damned if they do, damned if they don't. You are not the first person to bring that up and many Twilicorn haters have revolved around that recently. Most apparently just don't want it. Well, it happened, so, that is that. That is all I have to say about it as I feel a longer discussion isn't needed here, especially between us. I have pretty much said what I have wanted. I just think many of the hardcore haters need to give it a chance, but then again, we all know you will.

Indeed, a lot of things can, but life-long careers aren't one of them. We don't know for 100% how fast time progresses , so we can only judge IRL time because that's all we have to go on. "Your argument is dumb for reasons I'm not going to specify!" is not a legitimate answer. If you want elaboration, character development means that a character's perspective and personality are at least somewhat changed. If those two things don't change, which is to say her personality stays the same and she stays in Ponyville (like the staff said), it's not character development.

As for my anecdote, the break-up part was simply me wrapping up my example of how I identified with TS before MMC. That's all it was. It had nothing to do with the rest of my post. As far as I know, all the people from the group are satisfied with their lives at this point in time, they are not among the people you or DigiBrony mention. Achieved what? Fixed a problem she created in the first place?

The staff could have easily said that she'd change but it would be for the better, they wouldn't have been caught in a DIYDDIYD situation, because, as I explained, they backed themselves into a corner by stating she'd be same same, which is much easier to misconstrue than "she'll change for the better." There are some people who are being genuine stick-in-the-muds, but I'm not going to repeat myself as to why "you all just don't like change!" is an unfair generalization, since you failed to address my points. You've essentially brought this discussion back to square one, so the feeling of dissatisfaction with this exchange is mutual.

I will happily give S4 a chance, and am much more willing to do so than a number of people are to give those with well thought-out critiques of S3 or EQG a chance.

• Brohoof 1

Not at all. As far as I'm concerned, Twi's "promotion", as it were, only makes her even more relatable as a character. Think of all the times you've found yourself landed with an uncharacteristically large amount of responsibility; at first, you probably faced the challenge with a devil-may-care determination, but quickly came to realize that perhaps you bit off a little more than you could chew. This is basically how I see a good portion of Twi's story arc as a princess going down, and that makes for some pretty good storytelling in my book.

...Perhaps I'm just the ultimate optimist in this regard, but you can blame Pinkie for that. She sure does rub off on ya. smile.png

Edited by Lowline

I hate to say this, but I never really liked Twilight in the first place, for the simple fact that I see myself as being very much like her. especially before she got to Ponyville. Introverted, awkward, prone to anxiety, into reading, bossy, etc. However, I do like the changes she's encountered. One of the big problems I have with most TV these days is that the characters never grow, and make the same mistakes over and over, and to me, that's absolutely infuriating.

Unfortunately, I also see Twilicorn as being a HUGE money grab. If you have the older pony toys, she won't have a horn, and that just isn't as cool, and it felt to me and if Hasbro was promoting what it seemed they had been trying to repel in making such a strong show for girls.

One thing that I am happy about though, Twilicorn seems to have extended the life of MLP:FiM in the fact that the setting now will have to change, and the characters will have to grow. The current plots will not be revisited over and over, causing stagnation (see what I did there?) in an over all very fresh show.

• Brohoof 1

Real life this is not. Twilight, upon achieving a much higher level of magical ability, underwent a magical/genetic change that altered her body and rapidly produced wings. That is not something you can equate to Tip O'Neill, taking fifty years to get enough people to vote for him to get a power position. As for being "rewarded", the change looked to me to be self imposed. Celestia, as I have mentioned in other threads, was only there in "otherspace" to keep Twilight calm as the change took place. That was why her song was so peaceful and gentle. It was almost a form of hypnosis to keep Twilight from going into a panic. Think about it. If Twilight just suddenly appeared in nothingness, and her body began to alter, it would impose sheer terror. 

I see your point (though I was using O' Neill as example of the applicability of what some perceived as the episode's moral about working and rewards than as a literal comparison of equestrian government and IRL politics. I could've used somebody from a different profession, I simply went with someone from I field I am interested in), but I could counter that Celestia must have had something to do with it because she knew when TS was ready. Though, I suppose, we could speculate about this all night, but we don't know for certain who/what created the process of turning into an Alicorn, so I'll wrap this up, at least for tonight. See ya. 

I hate to say this, but I never really liked Twilight in the first place, for the simple fact that I see myself as being very much like her. especially before she got to Ponyville. Introverted, awkward, prone to anxiety, into reading, bossy, etc. However, I do like the changes she's encountered. One of the big problems I have with most TV these days is that the characters never grow, and make the same mistakes over and over, and to me, that's absolutely infuriating.

Unfortunately, I also see Twilicorn as being a HUGE money grab. If you have the older pony toys, she won't have a horn, and that just isn't as cool, and it felt to me and if Hasbro was promoting what it seemed they had been trying to repel in making such a strong show for girls.

One thing that I am happy about though, Twilicorn seems to have extended the life of MLP:FiM in the fact that the setting now will have to change, and the characters will have to grow. The current plots will not be revisited over and over, causing stagnation (see what I did there?) in an over all very fresh show.

to quote scourge why must the world fear earning a good honest dollar so?

Why must profit be so demonized.

GTA most recent game has made over a billion in sales.

I fail to see how that has made it a worse franchise.

I saw so much bitching and moaning about a canterlot wedding do you know what i did?

I skipped it ^ ~.

and you know what?

You know what i missed out on?  I mean in the progression in the plot?  I've seen reviews for it left and right.

I don't think i lost a damn thing.

As it stands candice and shinnning armor pop up  2-3 times per season now,

it feels like a long shot to ever see a changeling ever again,

soooooo yeah.

As far as alicorn twilight i've heard (gasp) she's getting flying lessons!

ZOMG!  flying lessons.

I mean if that's the big deal i'm still on the fence lol.

to quote scourge why must the world fear earning a good honest dollar so?

Why must profit be so demonized.

GTA most recent game has made over a billion in sales.

I fail to see how that has made it a worse franchise.

Umm, no. There is a difference between creating something solely for profit from the very start with no concerns for quality, and creating something genuinely good which succeeds on it's own merits.

• Brohoof 3