Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is "Spike purple" a particularly "girly" color?

Pat.Rio.T.

• Grape flavored drinks and candies are the best! These are usually purple colored

Especially sour candy, grape tend to be the most potent and tasty out of the bunch(just try eating a couple grape Shock Tarts in a row)

Ever here the phrase "real men wear pink"? 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

I usually think of royalty when purple pops up, so therefore I don't think purple is "Girly".

On the contrary, "Spike Purple" is a rather pastel-like colour on it's own, and colours like that are usually thought of as "Girly". I usually dislike Pastel colours when used outside of things like cartoons and games.

Usually I don't post in topics with this many replies due to the possibility of not getting my opinion noticed. Yes, that may sound very self-absorbed and cynical, but I warn you my opinion is rather important. 

Pretty much everyone here is going to be biased in the direction that this man's brother is indeed wrong because he's just looking for reasons to hate the show, but I'll give ya'll some more in depth reasons why.

So, is purple a girly color? Well, number one here, this is a show about magical cartoon ponies that can fly and solve problems with the magic of fucking friendship. So basically, it really doesn't matter at all if purple is a "girly" color. Seriously, they beat the shit out of villains with powers of friendship. Question it as you may, but that's how it be.

Secondly, actually this one doesn't need a explanation, just a video.

Yeah, even citizens in Spongebob's lovely town of Bikini Bottom like purple.

Obviously purple is whatever color you make it , but directing it toward a particular gender is just discriminating to the color and making it feel sad. So yeah, if you wanna be all like "purple is for chicks, dawg" actually, that's just a stereotype. Personally, every color but chrome sucks, just saying.

That is all, you are released from my mocking and derogatory reply. 

Edited by Chevette
  • Brohoof 2

To tell you the truth,I disregarded gender-linked colors for a while now. As long as he's not neon pink or anything, I won't lose ALL respect for him. So, no, I don't think he is a girly shade of purple.

That's completely upto you and your style of thinking, normally it wouldn't be called a girly colour, but it could be known as one, yes,

It's just what you find girly and not really, it's upto ones thinking.

I just remembered this Awesome guy!

hawkeye-400x300.jpg

Eeyup. Hawkeye(comics)

Also digin his outfit from the new animated series, "Marvel's Avengers Assemble"

Hawkeye.png

However, it has alot less purple on it than the one from the comics.

• 9 months later...

No, I never really found color to be gender-specific. There are some cultures that use color to apply to the two genders, but even then it really depends on the culture(in America, Blue is usually used for males while Pink is used for females, but in Japan, at least back in the day, it was the opposite, where blue was considered feminine while pink was masculine).

There might be certain colors that may be more appealing to a certain gender, but in general I think color is gender neutral

Okay, I'm going to say this one time.

THERE ARE NO GENDER SPECIFIC COLORS. If you like a color, you like a color. You don't have to like colors that are generally described as "girl" or "boy" colors. It's just that society expects you to, and that's messed up, man. 

Sorry. Had to get that out there.

I will agree with that. I WILL AGREE WITH THIS!

Colors don't define genders.

This too. This too. Hehehe.

When it comes to association between color and gender in society, bold colors are generally thought of as masculine while pastel colors are found to be feminine.

Look at the colors of Rainbow Power, which happen to be all of the coat colors of the Mane 6. All pastel. All the more marketable to the show's female audience. Look at how Celestia and Luna's colors were originally changed to make their toys apparently more marketable.

Purple is odd because it can be both. It can be associated with royalty and valor or it can be associated with sensitivity and feeling.

It's associated with the brands of Yahoo and Crown Royal, as well as the Minnesota Vikings and the Los Angeles Lakers. Even more interestingly, it is also the brand color of the Hub Network, while it's also associated with Barney the dinosaur. :eww:

The truth about this myriad of meanings is that purple is in an interesting spot as being neither a warm nor a cool color. It is in between red and blue. In a way, it can symbolize being an amalgamation of masculine and feminine traits, in the case of both the Hub Network brand identity and Spike.

Really, if you can look more into it, you can see how purple really is neither masculine nor feminine in fact. It means different things to different people. Many colors and symbols do.

• Brohoof 1

Uh, I don't think so. I think your brother needs to be a little more open-minded. He doesn't like the show because of the colors? That's kind of jumping the gun.

What @Mikami said is true, and I think the "guy color/girl color" thing is completely stupid... -_-

I'm male, that doesn't prevent me to think pink is my favorite color....

(I like purple too :P)