Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is "Spike purple" a particularly "girly" color?

Pat.Rio.T.

I came here to see whether people consider Spike to look girly; instead I've been facehugged by DBZ images. vsTALhM.png

Anywho, no I don't consider Spike to have a girly colour scheme. If anything, its an ironic shade of purple, like how some vicious pit-bull owners give them a pink collar with diamonds.

While you see guys wear purple less, his coloring of green/purple combo doesn't look girly to me.

Spyro the dragon is purple and I don't think people usually call him girly... but I"m not really a gamer so...

that moment were you have to tell people that spyro is a girl with a male voice actor i was surprised when i heard it too but spyro hit rock bottom with skylanders

I don't think his shade of purple is girly... I think purple's generally a pretty unisex kind of colour. Lighter, more pastel shades maybe, but I think Spike's colour is pretty good. I never mistook him for a girl.

He is a pretty light shade of purple, and I can see why some people might consider it a "girly" color - but personally, the thought never crossed my mind, and I can't see how it could really be that big of an issue anyway. huh.png

I never thought of purple as a girly color. It is the color of royalty, after all. Spike is royalty, which kind of makes sense considering his position. The assistant to the princess who is the student of the princess. tongue.png

But I don't see why color matters to be honest. It's a show about technicolored ponies, just enjoy it. smile.png

Edited by SmartyPants

Retailers are actually moving towards Purple as a gender-neutral color. The various big retailers near me (Target, Walmart, etc.) are starting to put what they are calling the 'Purple Aisle' between the boy's 'Blue Aisles' and the girl's 'Pink Aisles', and moving all the gender neutral toys into that space. According to the Target manager I talked to, MLP is one of the three toy lines that prompted this change. Lego was one of the others, and he didn't mention what the third one was.

Given how entrenched the separation of boy and girl toys in retailers are, this is a big deal.

• Brohoof 2

that moment were you have to tell people that spyro is a girl with a male voice actor i was surprised when i heard it too but spyro hit rock bottom with skylanders

well ... in my defense I've never played the game I think I saw a clip of the demo.  Partly because spyro seemed like a boy name too lol

For starters, it's a show initially intended for girls, of course it will use more vibrant colors that are stereotypically "girly", BUT there is no such thing as a girly color in reality. In the past, pink was considered a color more fit for man than women, etc. You get my point?

• Brohoof 1

I honestly can't ever remember Spike being a character unless he's on-screen :squee:

But I don't think colors should be identified with gender. As a matter of face, I don't identify colors with gender.

Ergo, Spike's purple is not girly nor manly.

I'm trying to sound smart, so humor me, please :D

• Brohoof 1

imnot sure what you are saying but if you are saying frieza is girly i suggest you watch more dragonball z he kills a whole race of people and blows up their planet

just gonna say one thing and a few more things we all watch my little pony freindship is magic and we are arguing about a color that is girly what the hell is going on here

'

being girly doesn't stop you from being, floating this way girlie. 

Kefka is the adolf hitler of the final fantasy frenchise,

have you sen his art work? 

Next you'll try and tell me Kuja isn't girlie.

oh and subsequently

check mate

most girls aren't that girly lol.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4681296474145023&pid=15.1

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/7/5/pirate_kuja_by_seekerarmada-d5quifu.jpg

Edited by FNGRpony

'

being girly doesn't stop you from being, floating this way girlie. 

Kefka is the adolf hitler of the final fantasy frenchise,

have you sen his art work? 

Next you'll try and tell me Kuja isn't girlie.

oh and subsequently

check mate

most girls aren't that girly lol.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4681296474145023&pid=15.1

He's wearing gray and white though, not feminine colors. We're talking about whether colors are feminine or not, not character traits

He's wearing gray and white though, not feminine colors. We're talking about whether colors are feminine or not, not character traits

the characters with those traits are the male characters that tend to have or wear purple.

If you wanna tell me only haters think purple is well,

not manly,

your giving up alot ground numbers wise.

Considering the show's main audience is little girls it doesn't surprise me that they'd use more "Girly" colors, however, I find Spike's shade of purple manly. Especially in combination with black. Purple and black together are some of the most bad-ass looking colors around.

Okay i'll try again,

more manly this

Lu_Bu_by_DW3Girl.jpg

or

this

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_3OdZIeCAdB4/TDe0NsbOxiI/AAAAAAAAADg/TA-VvQCRdKQ/s1600/lu+bu.jpg

Now, i stand behind my remark about "get away with purple, or pink."

I don't feel it stopped being girly, it just so happens it's on the Chinese chuck norris now lol

and yes posting lu bu in purple just shot my foot off.

Edited by FNGRpony

the characters with those traits are the male characters that tend to have or wear purple.

If you wanna tell me only haters think purple is well,

not manly,

your giving up alot ground numbers wise.

What, snobby traits? Scar is brown, Cell is green, Rotti wears black, and alot of the feminine villains wear black, grey, or white in my experience

What, snobby traits? Scar is brown, Cell is green, Rotti wears black, and alot of the feminine villains wear black, grey, or white in my experience

okay i could see purple being regal,

http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/5/5d/Spike_bow_tie_S1E24.png

but um your telling me this guy is regal?  ^ ~.

http://wildcritters.ws/data/9a8fde32ca657478b95bf31f898e4b12.jpg

if you'll notice the color of the bow on his tail is purple, the exact same shade as our spikey wikey.  does it not look perfectly girly?

(okay i cheated there but my point stands).

okay i could see purple being regal,

http://images.wikia.com/mlp/images/5/5d/Spike_bow_tie_S1E24.png

but um your telling me this guy is regal?  ^ ~.

http://wildcritters.ws/data/9a8fde32ca657478b95bf31f898e4b12.jpg

if you'll notice the color of the bow on his tail is purple, the exact same shade as our spikey wikey.  does it not look perfectly girly?

(okay i cheated there but my point stands).

Dark purple vs light purple. Light purple, when it's not pink, is very dignified and looks cool. Dark Purple, however, is girly IMO

There is only ONE color that I consider "girly" and that is pink.

And since we all know "real men wear pink", that no longer matters. XD

And if Spike is "girly" colored, how do you think the white and pink teenage dragon feels?

I mean maybe he's just albino and it would be rude to bring it up and even the jerk dragons don't step over that line. But I really don't think purple and green are girly.

• Brohoof 1

I guess they use brighter colors on the show the same reason the power rangers have bright costumes, to attract the kid's attentions, kids may like brighter then dull colors, & or other reasons like that.  It may be just that Lauren Faust saw Spike in different colors and liked that shade of purple best. 

As for Spike being voiced by a woman they do that with most, if not all, animated male characters.  Imagine how Spike would sound if voice by a man voice actor.  "Wow Spike sure has a deep voice considering he's so young." 

I don't think Spike has 'girly' colours: more to the point I don't see how a colour can be girly anyway: not really anyway it's all silly. Like pink used to be for a boy, and blue for a girl then it switched. Men can wear pink shirts and women can wear blue etc. So it's technically all illogical anyway

Well...under popular standards, he might unfortunately have a case if Spike was lavender but that darker shade of purple isn't always associated with femininity. But the real truth about colors is that some are warm and some are cold and there are very many to see depending on the amount of cones in the eye. All cultural ideals are never inherent and only exist in the personality and points of view of those that see them. A hundred years ago, pink was seen as a masculine color like a warm blood tone and light blue was seen as reserved and therefore feminine. Now look at it. It can switch before you realize it. If he thinks that this shade of purple looks feminine then that is his own opinion. He is not wrong nor is he right.