Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Any other bronies play Magic the Gathering?

lomk

So I picked these Fluttershy card sleeves for my mono black deck up off of eBay last week and they finally came in the mail! I was so stoked! 

xET4Qzu.jpg

My roommate, on the other hand, doesn't think they're as awesome. But he's not a brony haha

Anyway, I was just kinda curious. Does anyone else on here play Magic? :)

• Brohoof 3

• 6 months later...

I usually just play casually with my brother-in-law, but I've participated in a couple local booster drafts. I really want to start going to FNM.

I have a black/red EDH deck based around Olivia Voldaren. I found these card sleeves to match the vampire theme! I've loved them ever since!

21Qlb6ZyCfL.jpg

I've never gone to FNM or any other real game nights other than a couple booster drafts. I finally created a couple Modern decks so I can go try out Modern night, and am working on a Standard deck. Most of my decks only qualify for Legacy or Vintage formats.

I have 6 Modern decks built and also uploaded into tappedout.net if anyone wants to see them. Always up for tips and suggestions!

http://tappedout.net/users/soulwarden11/

You can also give suggestions for my Commander/EDH decks. As I said above, my Vampire deck under Olivia Voldaren (Sorin's Thirst deck) is my favorite EDH that I have, but I have a couple others around in case my brother-in-law wants to play it.

YES. But I'm a strictly casual player. I'm currently working on a G/R deck that wins with Devoted Druid and Quillspike.

That combo looks sinister!! You should find some Auras or other boosting spells so you can do it more than once per turn!

(edited)

That combo looks sinister!! You should find some Auras or other boosting spells so you can do it more than once per turn!

The point is it actually goes infinitely, and just with the two of them. First, put the -1/-1 counter on the druid and untap her, then tap her again to get G. Second, spend G and Quillspike eats the -1/-1 counter to get +2/+2 for the turn. You can just repeat it indefinitely. I'm complimenting the combo with Fires of Yavimaya and Rancor to let me swing with Quillspike the turn he comes out for an instant win, alongside mana ramp and card advantage generators so I can get the combo out as soon as possible. ^_^  The issues I have is that I tend to get land flooded (even after reducing my land count to 20!) and I also have a hard time holding off aggro until I get the combo pieces assembled.

Edited by Graveyard Duck

The point is it actually goes infinitely, and just with the two of them. First, put the -1/-1 counter on the druid and untap her, then tap her again to get G. Second, spend G and Quillspike eats the -1/-1 counter to get +2/+2 for the turn. You can just repeat it indefinitely. I'm complimenting the combo with Fires of Yavimaya and Rancor to let me swing with Quillspike the turn he comes out for an instant win, alongside mana ramp and card advantage generators so I can get the combo out as soon as possible. ^_^  The issues I have is that I tend to get land flooded (even after reducing my land count to 20!) and I also have a hard time holding off aggro until I get the combo pieces assembled.

Oh whoops, I misread the druid! haha I actually have the Cinderhaze Wretch, but it has a limit on the ability  :blush:  If that wasn't the case, I'd switch my blue mill deck to a blue/black and throw in some of those Quillspikes and more Wretches and just delete their hand, then erase their library!

*thread necromancy*

(By the way, we really do need a for-realsies MTG thread around here.  ^_^ )

I was wondering if anypony could help me tune a deck? I posted this on the GitP forums a few days ago, but didn't really get any help.

Hey guys, I need your help for improving a stupidly weird casual deck of mine. It's a W/R lockdown deck that combos Personal Sanctuary and Manabarbs. One of the main catches is that it has no creatures. None, whatsoever. No creature cards, no token generators, no control magic and no man-lands. (Why? Call it a personal challenge) The deck list is below.

2x Earthquake
4x Flame Slash
4x Ghostly Prison
3x Greater Auramancy
4x Manabarbs
10x Mountain
3x Personal Sanctuary
12x Plains
2x Pyroclasm
2x Slagstorm
4x Swords to Plowshares
4x Wrath of God

As you can see I've culled it down to 54 cards, so I have a few spaces I still need to fill. And like I said, it's for casual play. Does anyone have any suggestions, for those empty card slots or for any other alterations?

Edit: I'm thinking of adding in two Spheres of Safety to enhance my pillowfort-ness. In fact I think I want to take the deck in that direction in general. Any other ideas?

So? Any suggestions?

*thread necromancy*

(By the way, we really do need a for-realsies MTG thread around here.  ^_^ )

I was wondering if anypony could help me tune a deck? I posted this on the GitP forums a few days ago, but didn't really get any help.

So? Any suggestions?

I came to like the Reverberate card, just to replicate your Instants/Sorceries. If you found a Red card that gave one of your damage spells Storm? i'm sure there is one, but i don't know it

Sadly, I'm not terribly useful when it comes to building decks off the top of my head. All the decks I've made have been from cards I have had right in front of me and then uploaded once I've finished working on them...

I came to like the Reverberate card, just to replicate your Instants/Sorceries. If you found a Red card that gave one of your damage spells Storm? i'm sure there is one, but i don't know it

Sadly, I'm not terribly useful when it comes to building decks off the top of my head. All the decks I've made have been from cards I have had right in front of me and then uploaded once I've finished working on them...

Yup, Reverberate is a cool effect. (I love being able to counter other counterspells in red) But it doesn't lend itself very well to this deck, since the only instants or sorceries in it are Swords to Plowshares. Storm doesn't really work too well either, since I usually don't end up playing more than one spell per turn anyway.

The goal of the deck is to stall the game for as long as possible in order to get Personal Sanctuary and Manabarbs on the board. By this point I generally have a few mana tax effects available (which help in stalling the game), so pretty much anything the opponent does after this point ends up hurting them. And from there it's just slowly starving them off options. An Earthquake with a high X generally wins the game for me.

But, like I said, I run this deck with no creatures. So it's pretty vulnerable, at least until I get my pillow fort down to deter attackers. That's what I'm trying to improve on. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

i play it but i dont have many cards. plus i dont know the meta so its hard to get into it super competitively

Edited by Steve
  • Brohoof 1

i play it but i dont have many cards. plus i dont know the meta so its hard to get into it super competitively

I've been collecting for 11 years and have 4000+ cards, but it's only been in the last two years that I've started actually playing in local tournaments. Two years ago I did a couple Booster Drafts, but then didn't play anything but casual matches with my in-law. I just went to a Modern tournament on Monday and got slaughtered, and I'm going to a Standard tournament tonight. Seeing as my decks haven't had much real testing, it was a good lesson on Monday and I hope my new Standard deck and my revamped Modern decks can improve this time!

• Brohoof 1

So I picked these Fluttershy card sleeves for my mono black deck up off of eBay last week and they finally came in the mail! I was so stoked! 

img-2001137-1-xET4Qzu.jpg

My roommate, on the other hand, doesn't think they're as awesome. But he's not a brony haha

Anyway, I was just kinda curious. Does anyone else on here play Magic? :)

I HAVE THOSE SAME SLEEVES!!!! They are on my deck which is considered to be my best Modern deck.

I have loads of decks.

• Brohoof 1

I have a lot of cards, but only play casually with friends and family. My little brother got me into it. I'd like to play in a local booster night but, honestly, I'm afraid to. Every time I walk into the comic store during a game night intending to play, I get intimidated and leave. You could say, I feel like Fluttershy in room full of Twilights and Rainbow Dashes. I think I may need a Pinkie Pie to push me into the party!

• Brohoof 1

I have a lot of cards, but only play casually with friends and family. My little brother got me into it. I'd like to play in a local booster night but, honestly, I'm afraid to. Every time I walk into the comic store during a game night intending to play, I get intimidated and leave. You could say, I feel like Fluttershy in room full of Twilights and Rainbow Dashes. I think I may need a Pinkie Pie to push me into the party!

Booster Drafts are really fun! Everyone has the same cards to pool from, rather than bringing their $1000-meticulously-constructed decks. I didn't win at all my first draft, and only won a couple games in my second, but they're a great way to see and use new cards and make new friends!

• Brohoof 1

Booster Drafts are really fun! Everyone has the same cards to pool from, rather than bringing their $1000-meticulously-constructed decks. I didn't win at all my first draft, and only won a couple games in my second, but they're a great way to see and use new cards and make new friends!

Thanks for the insight! I think I may need a refresher course on how the game is played, it's been so long.. But, I really would like to learn it again because it was fun when I played with friends. I also wish that I had a friend at those events. I'm usually significantly older than all the other kids (like 10-13 yr olds) playing. Maybe I just need to try a different comic store.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the insight! I think I may need a refresher course on how the game is played, it's been so long.. But, I really would like to learn it again because it was fun when I played with friends. I also wish that I had a friend at those events. I'm usually significantly older than all the other kids (like 10-13 yr olds) playing. Maybe I just need to try a different comic store.

No problem! I think it may just be the shop your at...my brother-in-law is actually in charge of Pokemon events at a shop right next to where he lives, most of his participants are 10-25. I'm 25, and the shop I just started going to here in my college town is actually mostly guys in their 20s, with a select few teens.

Try this:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/rules/EN_Magic_Basic_Rulebook_20090710.pdf

It seems to be pretty concise for a basic overview. It's got pictures!!

• 8 months later...

Hey, anyone still around? I play casual commander once a week at the channel Fireball Game Center if I get the chance.

A voice from the ethereal beyond! No one's looked here for almost a year! haha

Since last I commented here, I have now started participating in multiple nights of Magic per week.

I play Commander Tuesdays and Saturdays, Modern on Fridays and some Thursdays, and if all my plans fall through on the other nights, I head over to one of the shops. My decks have all changed A LOT since last year!

• Brohoof 1

I play casually with friends and my bothers, but that's about it unfortunately. My favored colors are green and white with red being third, my favorite creatures are wolves/werewolves, hydras, angels, and dragons. Also, I've been playing for a couple years now so I've got a little bit of experience under my belt, but haven't been to any Friday Night Magics or anything yet, but would like to.

• Brohoof 1

That's great. If anyone here is in the Santa Clara area, I have recently created a facebook group for people who play EDH at the CFB Game Center. Screw Loose, I'm sure many edh players have multiple decks, and if you plan ahead, you can always join in for fun. I started playing MTG almost a year ago, and I enjoy EDH because it's a casual, multi-player format (and if you enjoy the way your deck is built, there's no need to upgrade the way it's built)

I just recently purchase the set of 2013 starter decks and am waiting for the shipment to arrive sometime this coming week.