Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Luna Statue (3D print)

SoaringSentinel

Hi guys, 

A few months ago i started work on a Princess Luna plushie, after having that in progress for months I felt I needed to start something that's a little more in my wheelhouse. (i still intend to finish it but it takes a bit of a time commitment to sit down and finish it)

So with season 4 just days away and my hype meter is off the charts at the moment so i needed an outlet.

I'm big into 3d printing as a hobby so I figured why not make a statue of the best princess and best pony. I've searched around the web for statue's that others have done and found many great pieces which I've taken inspiration from (people like VIIStar and Clawed-Nyasu on deviant art among others) 

I'm going for a show accurate look, i know that a more realistic style is also quite populair but i felt that show accurate would be more fun and also a little more challanging.

So without further a due Princess luna's base 3d model.

img-2024545-1-jt7e.png

This figure in this pose will stand at 21cm tall. but I intend to give her a much more elaborate and dynamic pose once I finish the base model and rig it for posing. so the model will most likely be a bit taller than 21cm (yes I will be able to re-pose the figure to anything I want once its rigged. So i might take commisions once its done and if i'm happy with the result)

I intend to print her blank and hand paint her. i know 3d color printing is available but i feel the results from those machines can be a little disappointing. i'm looking for a smooth finish with good clear colors. so once i receive the model back from the printers, its going to be Me, Luna and lots and lots of sandpaper. (there's some fanfic fuel img-2024545-2-tongue.png)

Also the moon on her regalia will be sterling silver.

I'm also going to give  her a cool and elaborate base to stand on but i've yet to design it although i have some idea's stay tuned for more progress updates over the coming weeks

Lets me know what you guys think. also if you have idea's for a pose or for the base please feel free to post them. I appreciate anything that can make this more awesome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done a bit more work on the wings 

2qm3.png 

What I often see other sculptors do with the wings is make them completely flat so i'm breaking with that solution and making them a little curved. as if she's flapping them.

wpl4.png 

So tomorrow I'm going finish the mane and hopefully get some good inspiration from the season premiere for the base smile.png

What do you guys think?

Edited by SoaringSentinel
  • Brohoof 20

Dear sweet lord on a fried fish. That is amazing! Despite being half done and not even colored, it's so beautiful. The body and how shaped it looks... beautiful!

100^100*10^10/10 Good job Sir/Madame/Ma'am

• Brohoof 1

Whoa!

That looks awesome! If you decided to do commissions, you'll make bank! I don't know bout y'all, but my blind bag Luna just isn't cutting it. This is what we really need!

keep an eye on this thread. info on that soon:)

Edited by SoaringSentinel

What do I think?  I think that this looks like it is going to turn out absolutely gorgeous!!!  I mean, wow, this is a fantastic 3D base, and I can only imagine how wonderful the final, 3D printed result will look!  You've really outdone yourself SoaringSentinel, and I commend you on the job well done (not to mention you chose to make a print of Best Princess as well, always a plus in my book  :comeatus:).  Here's hoping that the 3D print turns out well; can't wait to see the final result!!!  :muffins:

• Brohoof 1

Update time :)

I've finally designed a base I am happy with. It's not completely done yet but this should give you guys a basic idea of what i'm planning. Once the base is done I will rig the model for both facial expressions and body movement so i can give it the final pose for the print.

d62q.png

Let me know what you think. 

• Brohoof 4

Getting better and better! It looks so perfect with all those colors and the stand. Although I have a question, are you going to add in the stars for Luna's mane?

I would love to but i dont know how i would do that. I've open to suggestions on how i would best do that with paint. but yet i do intend to give her mane a sparkly texture somehow

That base really suits her! The castle style is perfect for best princess. The little mare in the moon symbols are a nice touch as well. Will she be detachable from the base or will she be fixed?

yes she will have a peg in her hind legs where she is attached to the base. the final pose will have her standing on both her hind legs in this pose.Princess_Luna_%22bright_and_glorious_fea

the final model will have her tail detached and the base. I have to seperate these because in order to keep the print affordable i'll need to print it hollow and then fill it up myself with something sturdy. probably resin or some other material. the removeable tail will allow me to remove the excess print material from the hollow body and from the tail itself. the bottom of the base will also have a hole in it that will be close and filled probably with sand to give it extra weight.

Looks really well down, very show accurate overall as far as clay statues go! 

I can't say i notice any real differences besides the clay statue part. ;p

Are you gonna paint it to? I think it'll look even more awesome that way, but its up to you.

Great job regardless!

• Brohoof 1

Looks really well down, very show accurate overall as far as clay statues go! 

I can't say i notice any real differences besides the clay statue part. ;p

Are you gonna paint it to? I think it'll look even more awesome that way, but its up to you.

Great job regardless!

Yes i will print her blank and then hand paint her. also the moon on her regalia will be made of sterling silver, and there will be a gold plated brass nametag on the base,

• Brohoof 1

Yes i will print her blank and then hand paint her. also the moon on her regalia will be made of sterling silver, and there will be a gold plated brass nametag on the base,

Ah ok, sounds cool! can't wait to see the final product!

• Brohoof 1

I have nothing but the utmost of respect for 3D artists. You guys do something that I wish I so desperately could do, if it weren't for my difficulty imagining three dimensions. ><

That's enough about me though. This thread is about you and your awesome artwork. It is absolutely beautiful, and you have replicated the show's style in 3D the best out of almost anybody else I've seen. I'm serious. You should be very proud, for you are quite a talent. And I honestly look forward to seeing more if you decide to create more. Cannot wait to see the finished product.

• Brohoof 2