Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Meghan's mea culpa in Season 4 opener.

Wingnut

I'm sure this was mentioned in the official episode thread itself. I'm not trying to steal anybody's thunder but I think this merits a topic of its own. Remember the shitstorm that ensued when Meghan McCarthy said "Every little girl wants to be a princess?" Well, check out the dialogue near the beginning of the first episode:

Rarity: Oh, don't be so modest. It's everypony's dream to someday wear a crown and have their coronation ceremony preserved in stained glass for all to see. [sighs]

Rainbow Dash:  I don't know if it's everypony's dream.

Pinkie Pie:  Most of my dreams are about frosting!

I still can't believe Meghan acknowledged her foot in mouth moment in the cartoon's dialogue.  That was a very classy way for her to set the record straight.  :)

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 6

Rainbow doesn't need to be princess because she's the princess of awesomeness and is 20% cooler than all the other princesses.

Not so sure about that since she doesn't have a scepter. ;) But seriously, it was a classy thing to do although I wasn't upset by the original tweet.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah now if only the ones who took that comment out of context when comparing it to a Lauren Faust quote could do that...but we know that will never happen. 

To be honest I don't know that the line is doing that rather than just being written as a set of dialog exploring how each character is reacting to the situation. If it is then cool...I guess, not really necessary, but cool. 

• Brohoof 1

I noticed, and not to reboot the argument, but what little girl wouldn't want to be a princess? :P

Apparently not Rainbow.

I wanted to be a dragon when I was younger. :3

Anyways, I didn't even know this was a thing before I watched the show. It might've just been a random line. I mean, these episodes get written many months in advance, after all. And are already planned before then.

• Brohoof 3

Hm, I can't say that I am familiar with the quote. Was it something she was serious about or was it sarcasm?

I wanted to be a dragon when I was younger. :3

lol what? xD

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 2

Anyways, I didn't even know this was a thing before I watched the show. It might've just been a random line. I mean, these episodes get written many months in advance, after all. And are already planned before then.

To be honest, we might not know for sure.  According to MLP Wiki, this episode was finalized in August of 2012.  Next question, when did Meghan send that "princess" tweet?  If it was before, then this dialogue is likely an inside reference to it.  But if the tweet came after August 2012, maybe Meghan was trolling the Bronies with that tweet already knowing that "issue" would be touched on in a future episode.  :)

EDIT:  It looks like I may have put my foot in my mouth with the original premise of this thread.  :blush:  It appears that tweet and ensuing discussion happened in early 2013 when it was revealed Twilight would become a princess in the season finale.  That being the case, did Meghan "get" me just now?  If so, that's a good one.  In any event, the show dialogue conveys much more accurately the message she was trying to send all along.  That measly tweet, by comparison, was truly an out of context and misunderstood statement.  :P

Edited by Wingnut

Rainbow doesn't need to be princess because she's the princess of awesomeness and is 20% cooler than all the other princesses.

This is the truth.

I agree with what I just realized Arylett covered above. The episode's dialogue was was likely finalized long before the somewhat controversial tweet was ever sent out. The fact that this episode was apparently written by McCarthy as well is kind of interesting, though. Not sure how much there is to be gained by reading into it, in any case. I liked the attitude expressed by Dashie in the episode far better.

I noticed, and not to reboot the argument, but what little girl wouldn't want to be a princess? :P

Apparently not Rainbow.

apparently not zebra's.

as i said before,

i mean if your gonna say every little girl,

i guess you have to be white