Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology YouTube Copyright Disaster - end of AngryJoeShow

Revy ~ Two Hands

Official thread to share your thoughts on the new YouTube content ID system and it's effect on game reviewers.Now to clarify this only affects 'affiliate' partners not 'managed' partners. I am a managed partner so am not affected
However Angry Joe is an affiliate partner so he is affected. Below is angry joe's video on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQfHdasuWtI

My own take on this situation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joz1VpyM2Oc

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 3

Wow, he's legitimately angry in this.

Google needs to let go of YouTube, seriously. They made it profitable in 2007, but now they keep shooting themselves in the foot, because clearly that last time they shot themselves in it didn't hurt enough.

• Brohoof 3

What's the difference between the two? I want to know so I don't get fucked over and just use Patreon instead.

'Affiliate' partners are subject to having there videos reviewed before it can be monetized whereas 'managed' partners have there content automatically monetized. Basically you don't want to be an 'Affiliate' partner if you are going to try and make money.

I'm a managed partner because the Network I joined with was brand new last year, and because they where new didn't have the option to have 'Affiliate' partners. So ironically having signed with a smaller network has given me advantages in the long run. Funny how things work out. Whatever you don't sign up with a network not for a while, not until the dust settles, that is if you want to monetize game reviews,let's plays,previews or anything that has game footage of new games in it. If you just wanna do vlogs or content that is entriely generated by you then you don't need a Network in the first place especially since they take a cut of your profit for services rendered. It's really become the Wild West out there, and I've been extremely cautious for the past year since I created my YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/comicconreviews

As far as Patreon goes, I'm wary of that because they could stop the service anytime and then how would you recieve an income? My goal is to build a website where I host all of my YouTube videos and additionally put out Written Reviews, I'll put a donate button on my site, and eventually maybe run ads on the site too. That's my long term goal, but it requires a hell of a lot more work then most people want to put in.

Normally I cannot stand Angry Joe to the point of loathing him. But on this topic, I have to completely and totally agree with everything he has said. 

I find his review style somewhat basic and kind of juvenille. Spinning 5 minutes worth of actual critism into 30 minutes of 'epic' review. Still I have no issue with the guy personally, his vlogs and interviews are actually worth watching when they talk about issues relevant to the gaming community because he comes across as geuine, and not hammy over needless indirect and OTT like his reviews often are.

Youtube has officially dug its own grave... 

I miss the old days back in 2006 -07 when youtube was amazing. With them doing this man they are ruining themselves...

All my favourite content was made after that time. In fact my favourite era was more like 2008-2009. The Networks hadn't come in and changed the landscape of the site, but some of the popular internet personalities like Spoony had actually found a way to make a living from it, even if indirectly.

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 2

'Affiliate' partners are subject to having there videos reviewed before it can be monetized whereas 'managed' partners have there content automatically monetized. Basically you don't want to be an 'Affiliate' partner if you are going to try and make money.

I'm a managed partner because the Network I joined with was brand new last year, and because they where new didn't have the option to have 'Affiliate' partners. So ironically having signed with a smaller network has given me advantages in the long run. Funny how things work out. Whatever you don't sign up with a network not for a while, not until the dust settles, that is if you want to monetize game reviews,let's plays,previews or anything that has game footage of new games in it. If you just wanna do vlogs or content that is entriely generated by you then you don't need a Network in the first place especially since they take a cut of your profit for services rendered. It's really become the Wild West out there, and I've been extremely cautious for the past year since I created my YouTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/user/comicconreviews

As far as Patreon goes, I'm wary of that because they could stop the service anytime and then how would you recieve an income? My goal is to build a website where I host all of my YouTube videos and additionally put out Written Reviews, I'll put a donate button on my site, and eventually maybe run ads on the site too. That's my long term goal, but it requires a hell of a lot more work then most people want to put in.

I find his review style somewhat basic and kind of juvenille. Spinning 5 minutes worth of actual critism into 30 minutes of 'epic' review. Still I have no issue with the guy personally, his vlogs and interviews are actually worth watching when they talk about issues relevant to the gaming community because he comes across as geuine, and not hammy over needless indirect and OTT like his reviews often are.

All my favourite content was made after that time. In fact my favourite era was more like 2008-2009. The Networks hadn't come in and changed the landscape of the site, but some of the popular internet personalities like Spoony had actually found a way to make a living from it, even if indirectly.

I get what you are saying and I agree completely  the majority of my favorite stuff came during those years as well. I just miss the old layout they had and the old system of rating. Now everything is so *forced* on you and with this copyright disaster well you know it is going to be horrid...

• Brohoof 1

Youtube, your grave is now deeper than before since not only did the Google+ problem cause a huge drift between the supporters and the people who opposed the decision, you're now putting this copyright rule to cause more problems.

Google, just stop.

• Brohoof 1

I get what you are saying and I agree completely  the majority of my favorite stuff came during those years as well. I just miss the old layout they had and the old system of rating. Now everything is so *forced* on you and with this copyright disaster well you know it is going to be horrid...

As a video host YouTube still gives more options than anyone else. However for everything else, layout, commenting, now problems with copyright for 'affiliate' partners it's not what it used to be. I plan to build my own website and continue using YouTube as my video host, that way I will control over layout as it will be my site, and I can add forums etc that will help with the fact that commenting sucks on YouTube now. Best I can do really, as I say for just a video host YouTube can't be beat even now. But for having a community, well YouTube really sucks now. I'll use my website when it's built plus all my social media sites to help fill the gap. Really the best that can be done I think.

Was actually just talking about this in my status. It's directly problematic because youtube is the only way that I watch Friendship is Magic and I was going to start season 4 on the weekend after my last final exams tomorrow, now it's a lot more difficult to find anything (got some help for the first 4 episodes though).

I really hope this doesn't last, and I especially hope this doesn't effect folks like Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter.

But this is wishful thinking.

• Brohoof 1

Youtube, your grave is now deeper than before since not only did the Google+ problem cause a huge drift between the supporters and the people who opposed the decision, you're now putting this copyright rule to cause more problems.

Google, just stop.

The first thing I thought when I read this:

tumblr_lw7hfvrACr1qgex26o1_500.gif

Edited by Gamer Twilight
  • Brohoof 2

Was actually just talking about this in my status. It's directly problematic because youtube is the only way that I watch Friendship is Magic and I was going to start season 4 on the weekend after my last final exams tomorrow, now it's a lot more difficult to find anything (got some help for the first 4 episodes though).

I really hope this doesn't last, and I especially hope this doesn't effect folks like Rooster Teeth/Achievement Hunter.

But this is wishful thinking.

Depends if they are affiliate or managed partners. If they are managed it won't affect them. I suspect they will find a way round this in the long run either way seeing as how big they are.

Eeyup.

Youtube is shooting itself in the foot with this.

By this point, Youtube has no more feet to shoot themselves in.

Youtube's copyright system has always been total crap so something like this doesn't surprise me much. There was that time a few years back where a group of trolls went around and got popular channels banned because they flagged them and said it contained copyrighted material with zero evidence or proof to back up said claims, stories of companies removing reviews and videos when said review gave them a poor score, despite the fact that said reviewer was given permission from the company to use said material and other tales of videos years old suddenly and inexplicably being removed without any reasoning. At this rate, it'll be easier to invite the president over for coffee than it will be to upload a video to Youtube.

When will Youtube stop fixing what isn't broken and breaking it in the process?! 

Edited by PoisonClaw

By this point, Youtube has no more feet to shoot themselves in.

Youtube's copyright system has always been total crap so something like this doesn't surprise me much. There was that time a few years back where a group of trolls went around and got popular channels banned because they flagged them and said it contained copyrighted material with zero evidence or proof to back up said claims, stories of companies removing reviews and videos when said review gave them a poor score, despite the fact that said reviewer was given permission from the company to use said material and other tales of videos years old suddenly and inexplicably being removed without any reasoning. At this rate,it'll be easier to get invite the president over for coffee than it will be will upload a video to Youtube.

When will Youtube stop fixing what isn't broken and breaking it in the process?! 

These are the following reasons this has happened:

1) New console generation

2) New consoles have the option to upload footage straight off the console to YouTube (terrific idea guys really../sarcasm)

3) YouTube wants to reduce what Is referred to in other communities as 'shitposting' ie let's play videos, videos that are just random gameplay videos which are the most created video on the entire site it's ridiculous, everyone wants to be the next Pewdiepie.

4) YouTube wants to make itself even more profitable by getting the higher paid ads from advertising companies who will pay top dollar to advertise specifically on the YouTube platform and not elsewhere. The best way to do that is to reduce shitposting, which links into points 1,2, and 3.

This is why it's really happening, MONEY.

The people in the government don't care about laws,they don't care about the United States Constitution,the 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, and 4th Amendment, the 5th Amendment. They only care about their profits and having control over the people, and if they can't push their own regulations and laws they will write executive orders bypassing laws, Congress and the United States Constitution and in this they're violating fair use section 107 and also violating the 1st Amendment by censoring these videos which count as free speech.

• Brohoof 9

Google is really messing things up now. 

Stupid copyright always ruins everything. Think they're doing it right but you're doing it ALL BUCKING WRONG! :angry:  :angry:

As a content creator myself I know just how annoying copyright claims can be. I spent weeks slowly putting together a video, only to never be able to show it because of a content ID claim. To this day I can't upload it. But what am I going to do? Post it on Blip where it'll get like 10 views. Fuck that.

The people in the government don't care about laws,they don't care about the United States Constitution,the 1st Amendment, 2nd Amendment, and 4th Amendment, the 5th Amendment. They only care about their profits and having control over the people, and if they can't push their own regulations and laws they will write executive orders bypassing laws, Congress and the United States Constitution and in this they're violating fair use section 107 and also violating the 1st Amendment by censoring these videos which count as free speech.

Google Hire Pinkie to be in charge you clearly need someone new.

• Brohoof 1

@,

Aw screw that. As the pony above my last post stated that the government has forgotten about what this country was founded upon, this whole country has just gone down. Now we just have a bunch of lazy loafers just demanding their money, and what do we get from that? Bullcrap taxes and this stupid copyright stuff.  

• Brohoof 2