Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Make the Forums a Better Place Challenge!

Sweet Dreams

I'm touched...seriously, I really am. Means a lot to hear you say that just that one little blog pushed you into making such an amazing challenge. :)

I wanna shed a tear.

As long as it's a happy one, then it's all good. :P

TIMEFOR.gif

• Brohoof 4

Oh, I meant 'like' and '+1' buttons in general. The brohoof button is really neat, but I don't see a full-fledged purpose other than being similar to the 'like' button on facebook.

I think of it like a reputation vote, sorta.

Since it stores how many you have and all :D

If it didn't store it, though, like Facebook, it'd be pointless :D

And honestly, I don't want to go through and type out a well written response to everything I agree with. :D 

That'd suck, dude. 

While the intentions may be pure, the Buddha had it right: "No matter the thought, it is the result." (I might have paraphrased.)

You see this mentality fading into YouTube, and everywhere else. People do not like, comment, subscribe; as technology increases their ability to one-click, so does their laziness.

Increase communication, and you increase personalization. Increase personalization, and this place will become a lot friendlier.

• Brohoof 1

I think of it like a reputation vote, sorta.

Since it stores how many you have and all :D

If it didn't store it, though, like Facebook, it'd be pointless :D

I see what you mean, kinda like Reddit in a way with karma.

• Brohoof 2

@@CloserToTheSun, i am making it my challenge to look at your avatar for longer then i ever managed before everytime i see it. my record now stands on 5 seconds :P

OT:  all it really takes for this to succeed is a few people starting it, and people catching on! i have high hopes for this goal.

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 3

@@CloserToTheSun, i am making it my challenge to look at your avatar for longer then i ever managed before everytime i see it. my record now stands on 5 seconds :P

OT:  all it really takes for this to succeed is a few people starting it, and people catching on! i have high hopes for this goal.

Haha, well, there's nothing wrong with trying to something like that. But just remember, the Ood only wish to serve you....if you are hungry.

Totally. Kindness and happiness is infectious....but in a good way!

• Brohoof 3

Increase communication, and you increase personalization. Increase personalization, and this place will become a lot friendlier.

You see, this is something I can't agree with, as much as I want to.

It'd definitely make the place more like what the OP is sending us off to do, and it'd make it friendlier, etc. It's great, it'd make everything awesome. I mean, I'd support it.

But logic trumps this.

We have a 20 character limit.

Not only would people show less support in the form of less people showing how they agree through personal communication, but they'd just say "I really agree with this." Or something to reach the 20 character limit.

It would cause less support, with just a little improvement to the laziness factor, and even less of an improvement to the kindness factor, both being hardly enough to make a difference -_-

I'd love to agree, but I just think that line of reasoning behind removing the brohoof button wouldn't do enough good to make up for the lack of support it'll generate, you know? :D

Edited by ~Sadistic ghostfk39~
  • Brohoof 3

I'd love to agree, but I just think that line of reasoning behind removing the brohoof button wouldn't do enough good to make up for the lack of support it'll generate, you know?

this is exactly why i disliked it when the character minimum went down.

with it, post quality dropped pretty dramatically :c 

• Brohoof 1

I am somewhat new to this forum, but I have noticed that things have been a bit, well, lacking, lately, compared to the way things were when I joined back in August...  Personally I thought that it was just me getting too overcome by school to pay as much attention to the situation around here, but now that things are calming down on the school front, I can see that it is a bit beyond that.  The blog post by Dsanders recently really did set off the caution lights in my head as well as the general attitude of some of the threads that have been made recently (some negative and "anti-season 4" threads spring to mind in particular...)

But I digress.

I say to you, sirrah....

Challenge accepted.

Let's do this!

img-2122082-1-mlfw2597-tumblr_ltdjzpe1sC

Edited by SilverQuill
  • Brohoof 5

fdfdsa fd d asd adf  23r2r r2

Edited by plzremoveaccountfdfd

You see, this is something I can't agree with, as much as I want to.

It'd definitely make the place more like what the OP is sending us off to do, and it'd make it friendlier, etc. It's great, it'd make everything awesome. I mean, I'd support it.

But logic trumps this.

We have a 20 character limit.

Not only would people show less support in the form of less people showing how they agree through personal communication, but they'd just say "I really agree with this." Or something to reach the 20 character limit.

It would cause less support, with just a little improvement to the laziness factor, and even less of an improvement to the kindness factor, both being hardly enough to make a difference -_-

I'd love to agree, but I just think that line of reasoning behind removing the brohoof button wouldn't do enough good to make up for the lack of support it'll generate, you know? :D

I see where you're coming from now. I mean, I might not completely agree with it, but I see the pros of it and I guess you're right with that. Maybe I still just harbor some dislike for the 'like' button an such.

• Brohoof 1

this is exactly why i disliked it when the character minimum went down.

with it, post quality dropped pretty dramatically :c 

I see where you're coming from now. I mean, I might not completely agree with it, but I see the pros of it and I guess you're right with that. Maybe I still just harbor some dislike for the 'like' button an such.

I mean, I feel no need for such a huge character limit, maybe 50 or so would bring post quality up a ton, but 100 was far too big, and it was annoying to have to reach.

But, honestly, I think the fact less people would show support if they had to type out their forms of showing support rather than just click a button, and with such a small character limit, they'd just try to reach 20, would not only cause morale to drop further on both ends (Lack of support shown, plus having to think out how to show support would be a pain.) but would make little improvements in the kindness and laziness areas that were brought up.

I really agree with what he said.

22 characters. That's all you'd have to say to reach the limit.

And, if the admins increased the character limit, morale would plummet even further. (I remember how much everyone hated the 100 character limit.)

So, the brohoof button is vital to the OPs mission here, and that is why it needs to stay. 

• Brohoof 1

And, if the admins increased the character limit, morale would plummet even further. (I remember how much everyone hated the 100 character limit.)

So, the brohoof button is vital to the OPs mission here, and that is why it needs to stay. 

I see what you mean now. In one old forum I was a part of, there was just a lot of negativity and different cliches of people who were 'literate' and stuff like that. I can see what you mean and morale is kind of a key here. Happy posters mean happy posts (generally).

• Brohoof 1

I'm sad to say I'm one of those unhappy people. xD

For some reason, I'm just not as cheerful as I was when I first joined these forums... And I'm nowhere near as involved as before, either. I'd like to end that. :)

Of course, my family may be going "off the grid" with the internet soon, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll be here. :(

I used to come on here all the time, because there was always something to do, always a notification to check, always a signature request, always someone new to talk to... I wish it could be like that again. I'll try to be more involved and happy from now on! :D

• Brohoof 7

This brings back pretty awful memories from elsewhere  :(
By elsewhere I mean the pony forums I used to be a regular of before joining MLP Forums. @@Sweet Dreams, you remind me a lot of myself back in those days over a year ago... Compared to there, coming here has been like going to heaven (kinda ironic for me to say given my religious views but oh well).

But don't worry. See, I've read a few things (and if I've missed anything, please inform me -- privately) about the staff, how they're organized, committed, have a vision and most importantly; know what they're doing. Should they remain true, any decline that's happening should level off at a given point unless there are more external disturbances.

I'd like to do more than just be nicer. You see, our surroundings need to somehow nurture us by default somehow. Kinda like how many plants bloom most beautifully in soil that is nutritious and moist, where there is plenty of sunshine and where there is protection from or resources to turn to for dealing with pests and disease. We might not be plants ourselves but we do tend to respond to what happens in our surroundings whether we perceive them or not rather predictably if there's a good understanding of what tendencies we have when responding to things.

One thing you could try to do is think about how people deal with tension. Most people without thinking release tension by lashing out on others in some shape or form (white knighting being one example). But this isn't just about your own tensions; it's also about looking at other people's tension. You see, if you can help a person who is tense to release that tension in a way where nobody has to needlessly suffer, you've done a lot of good because you may have prevented that person from eventually passing on that tension to other people.

Basically, try to avoid bottling feelings up but instead of lashing out and hurting people, you could try to find somepony who will listen to you and help you get it off your chest. Likewise, I would encourage ponies here to lend a wing to someone who is feeling upset. However, if you feel like you don't have the energy to do it 100%, give where you are able and perhaps take them to a person you think would listen to them. Aside from safely releasing tension, it'll send a message to those who are seeking help that people do care and I'm sure many of you know what it feels like to be part of a community that cares for you :)

Oh, something else I noticed. When someone expresses sadness or depression, they're not doing it to get you upset. It's good that they're expressing their feelings as I've already implied. You see, when people express sadness or depression as some call it, it's an attempt to find support or to just get it out of their system. Do you know what the implications are of expressing feelings? Trust. Trust that their feelings will be respected. Really, if you're going to expect people to get impatient with you, you would not dare let people know that your guard is anywhere but up. That's why I think people expressing sadness isn't really a sign of decline but a sign of trust towards the community ;)

Edited by SunBurn
  • Brohoof 3

Thanks for this thread Sweet Dreams!  I normally do at least one of these things already (if anything, there's nothing easier than sharing brohoofs on the forums), but I know what you're saying; it just seems like there's so few people around here now who do those little things that made the forums so special in the first place, a veritable second home, if you will.  When that happens, it even makes it harder for those of us who do still do at least some of the little things regularly to keep doing 'em, just because, I don't know, you start to wonder if they actually matter to anyone?  I hope that doesn't sound selfish, it's just... imagine you wish "good day" to everyone on the street and nobody replies "good day to you as well".  That's what it's kinda like when little kindnesses here aren't reciprocated, you start to feel like you're talking to yourself or nobody cares about what you're saying, and yeah, that does make it a little harder.

So let's take up this little challenge of Sweet Dream's everypony!  Let's fill once booming threads, like the always fun "Best Cute Pony Pics" and "Best Funny Pony Pics" threads, with new faces instead of the few regulars who now frequent them!  Let's give the extra efforts necessary to make this place a welcoming, special community to both old and new members alike, a place where the little things aren't taken for granted but treasured by one and all.  Remember everypony, we all came here in the first place because a little ol' show reminded us that friendship is magic, and we all wanted to be a part of rekindling that magic right here.  :muffins:

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 6

I imagine this opinion will be unpopular, however, I am up for the swift removal of the brohoof button.

I have always despised these 'like', '+1', and other variants of these "lazy buttons". People will click and move on, and shortcut the entire communication process. This leads to an automated, robotic feeling. Who wants to be nice to a robot? Before you answer that, remember the last time you had to navigate a tech support phone menu.

I understand what your coming from, and thus is a bit off topic, but in a way i do kinda agree.

That said i'm not really bothered by it, so yeah.

On the same token it doesn't mean a ton to me personally ;p.

However it does let me know someone read my post, besides when they respond.

Its nice to just say you agree or something i guess.

Oh and i think i'd just like to start giving out some hugs here.

So to anyone who reads this, have a hug *Hug*, just because your awesome, :D.

• Brohoof 2

I'm sad to say I'm one of those unhappy people. xD

For some reason, I'm just not as cheerful as I was when I first joined these forums... And I'm nowhere near as involved as before, either. I'd like to end that. :)

Of course, my family may be going "off the grid" with the internet soon, so I'm not sure how much longer I'll be here. :(

I used to come on here all the time, because there was always something to do, always a notification to check, always a signature request, always someone new to talk to... I wish it could be like that again. I'll try to be more involved and happy from now on! :D

And just like that I feel the exact same way the forums used to be much more booming with activity. Many fun times in the GCT and i think it died a couple months ago and all the members there left. I still have hope though this place getting new members and the new season here I will stay positive :)