Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can alicorns be born, or only created?

Never2muchpinkie

Let's look at the cakes. In canon, we have two earth ponies who just happen to have unicorn and pegasus blood in them from a few generations ago, and have twins of the two other pony species. I don't know much about genetics, but the chances of that happening seem astronomical. And yet, it did happen. Going by that, is it that inconceivable to believe that there is, no matter how small, the possibility that an Alicorn could simply be born as long as they have the right genetics in their bloodline?

It's probable. Might be a tiny percentage with a handful of births over thousands of years. Has it ever been stated how Princess Cadence became an alicorn? By birth or made one? Be cool if she was like the first alicorn birth in Equestria history. 

It's probable. Might be a tiny percentage with a handful of births over thousands of years. Has it ever been stated how Princess Cadence became an alicorn? By birth or made one? Be cool if she was like the first alicorn birth in Equestria history. 

Well, it hasn't been stated to my knowledge, but I do remember hearing that she DID start out as a unicorn. So maybe she had enough trials like Twilight to transform and ascend.

I've heard mention that there is a book somewhere that states that Cadence was a pegasus at birth and then became an alicorn.

• Brohoof 3

Since Celestia and Luna seem to be a different class of alicorn than Twilight and Cadence, I've assumed that they were born how they are for a while now. There are tons of unanswered questions either way, but something about them gives off that vibe to me and I assume I'll continue thinking so unless the show reveals otherwise.

• Brohoof 1

I believe Celestia, and Luna were born alicorns. 

Cadence, and Twilight became them later on in life. 

Since this is this case, I'm assuming that Cadence, and Twilight aren't immortal goddess-like beings such as Celestia, and Luna. They're more or less demigods. 

• Brohoof 2

Well... MLP has a rather interesting point of view considering alicorns. Only royalty are alicorns, or at least by the evidence we were already given. Probably, they were more alicorns we weren't aware of?

However, if we do follow the rule that the alicorns ARE always part of royalty, that makes them kind of impossible to be born like that in kind of normal family, considering that it would be funny to see an alicorn princess born in a poor pegasi family.

But, if they don't necessarily have to have connection with royalty, that's different story. Then it's fine.

If you even get what I'm trying to say XD . Interesting question, anyway.

• Brohoof 2

We don't know where they come from, but my money is on transformation, simply because it fits with the available evidence from the show. I was hopping that Celestia would have had a conversation with Twilight about being a princess, but that's not the kind of teacher she is. She never seems to give direct answers.

• Brohoof 1

Lauren Faust stated that Celestia and Luna were born alicorns, but it has never been said in show.

The book: Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell was billed by Hasbro as being canon, and it has Cadence being a pegasus originally. However, Lauren also said that Cadence was supposed to be a unicorn in the original scripts and she was surprised when the character was changed on her. Also, however, Trixie is in that book and the events around her were contradicted by the show itself, so he rest of the book is suspect.

And then, given that Lauren isn't running the show anymore, nothing she says is 'word of god' anymore, and can only be taken as suggestions until it shows up in-show.

So, basically we know nothing official. Just a bunch of speculations. One speculation is that you can only be born alicorn if at least one of your parents is alicorn. Which has implications around Cadence and Shining Armor, but beyond that the only other alicorn that we are aware of in-show that we know almost nothing about is the alicorn princess in the Hearts and Hooves Day fairy tale. There may be a connection between that alicorn and Celestia and Luna, but we don't know what it is, if there is any.

Well... MLP has a rather interesting point of view considering alicorns. Only royalty are alicorns, or at least by the evidence we were already given. Probably, they were more alicorns we weren't aware of?

However, if we do follow the rule that the alicorns ARE always part of royalty, that makes them kind of impossible to be born like that in kind of normal family, considering that it would be funny to see an alicorn princess born in a poor pegasi family.

But, if they don't necessarily have to have connection with royalty, that's different story. Then it's fine.

If you even get what I'm trying to say XD . Interesting question, anyway.

Well, that's not quite true. King Sombra was a unicorn. However, maybe he wasn't an alicorn simply because he was evil. Aside from that, we have only seen a small portion of Equestria. There could be many more rulers we don't know about. In Ponyville the highest level of ruler we see is a mayor, but other places could have kings or queens.

well if i had to make a alicorn,

as in as a character in the pony verse (not a writer,)
if i were scheming to create an alicorn I would go with a magical ritual.

I imagine the spell components for such a ritual, and the magical raw power, plus having the right subject to pull this off would be a complete pain in the ass.

Who knows, maybe some magical ritual altered luna and Cestial pre birth.

I mean they clearly didn't always exist (heart warmings eve) or if they did they came from another world or reality.

Well, I think when it comes to ponies, alicorns may be created if one of/or both parents are alicorns, or with a long line a pegasi and unicorn genetics will an alicorn will be born. :3

Honestly, I don't think an alicorn can just be born if they aren't in the royal bloodline. Perhaps unicorn and Pegasus could have a baby, and in theory there should be a chance of an alicorn child, but that would be wiped with the whole magic of their world. It's just not how it 'works' in their world. They have to be royal.

Celestia and Luna were probs born alicorns though, since they're of royal blood.

Edited by ~Sunlight

Or maybe they already existed from the beginning of time and somehow just showed up one day to fight off some evil and the ponies thought they were great and decided to make them the rulers to protect them from then on? Or some magical happened like a unicorn stared into the sun or the moon had a baby? 

It seems both, the Celestial sisters were born alicorns; Cadence and Twilight Sparkle were made into alicorns. The possibility is that the Celestial sisters were direct descendent from alicorns, and have the ability to make more alicorns, albeit the pony earns the privilege to have such power and status, as such this sort of power in the wrong possession could do great harm, and that's why Celestia prepared Twilight Sparkle for her position, the same with Cadence.    

Lauren Faust did state that Princess Celestia and her sister, Luna were both born as alicorns. As for the other few alicorns like Cadence and Twilight Sparkle, I think the way they've earn that status was by earning it. I don't know the origins behind Cadence, but we have clearly seen Twilight's initiation to "alicorn-hood." Celestia and Luna are a different class of alicorns, which is why it makes sense to believe that they were born that way. As for the rest of the more average alicorns, I think it's a form that has to be achieved in a pony's life one way or another.

My headcanon is creation.

Celestia and Luna became alicorns as they got their cutie marks. They were unicorns, because they are the only race capable of moving sun and moon. Their flowing mane is caused by power. Twilight and Cadance have it soon enough.

Faust

And then, given that Lauren isn't running the show anymore, nothing she says is 'word of god' anymore, and can only be taken as suggestions until it shows up in-show.

Yup. Technically, alicorns even could be turned into gods, demigods or spirits again, which was a familiar theory before Faust has been asked.

Lauren Faust did state that Princess Celestia and her sister, Luna were both born as alicorns. As for the other few alicorns like Cadence and Twilight Sparkle, I think the way they've earn that status was by earning it. I don't know the origins behind Cadence, but we have clearly seen Twilight's initiation to "alicorn-hood." Celestia and Luna are a different class of alicorns, which is why it makes sense to believe that they were born that way. As for the rest of the more average alicorns, I think it's a form that has to be achieved in a pony's life one way or another.

Off topic but do you have a bigger version of your sig? It's really cute! :wub::)

• Brohoof 1

Off topic but do you have a bigger version of your sig? It's really cute! :wub::)

A bigger version of my signature? :P Well no, not really. But I might keep that in mind for when and if I become a donor again. ;) As donor, I can have 150 x 200px avatars and 600 x 200px signatures. ;) Why you ask?

A bigger version of my signature? :P Well no, not really. But I might keep that in mind for when and if I become a donor again. ;) As donor, I can have 150 x 200px avatars and 600 x 200px signatures. ;) Why you ask?

No real reason. I just find it really cute. It's easier to enjoy pictures in a bigger resolution, is all :P

• Brohoof 1