Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Fandom's (Second) Worst Trait: Crippling Over-Speculation

MissDashie

I notice a lot of people are saying that over-analyzing is 'fun'....fair enough, but my problem is that I hardly ever see people on these forums who happen to over-analyze and nitpick everything, doing so in a 'fun' matter. More often, it is something that they are addressing a sheer complaint about. Something that they completely dislike even if it is minuscule. These people tend to, not always, but tend to apparently expect everything in the show to go a certain way and if it doesn't, then that episode was bad or whatever.

Not every analyzer is like that of course, but that really doesn't sound like fun to me....Personally, I am not fond of any of it.

I remember only analyzing two things that I dislike about MLP:FiM. The first is the sense of scale is awfully weird, with the distances between places and the length of time elapsing being oddly inconsistent. But with a bit of effort it was possible to come up with something that 'fixed' it with a couple of assumptions. The other being the Friendship Is Magic Live show which was very poorly put together. I could only find one or two things from that show that could be salvaged. (That entry is still in my buffer, and hasn't published yet.)

I try very hard to put the rest of my ramblings as either fact-finding listings of things I've noticed in each episode that might be interesting or useful, or trying to piece together explanations for things using real-life historical or literary models. Some people do find it fun to be angry all the time, and to focus on the bad things and nitpicking as you say, but I consciously left that behind several decades ago. My goal is to find stuff to *build* upon, not to destroy.

I'm afraid I wasn't intentionally meaning that to be angry, although I do see where you are coming from. However, I only typed up that "analysis" to make a point. Truth is, if you couldn't tell, I BS'd the whole thing in a matter of 10 minutes. I am not an analyzer, and I have no experience in a kitchen. I just typed up random crap as it popped in my head. My point wasn't to analyze ratatouille, it was to attempt to show people how boring some of those things can be to read and maybe tell some of the over-analyzers that we common folk really don't want to read them. Again, I proved my point, as where I cut off the quote is as far as I read into your post. I don't say that to be rude, I say that to, again, show a point. All I'm saying is not to stop, but to keep it among those that will actually read it, so your not wasting 10 minutes of your time typing something most of us (from what I've seen) are only not going to read, but genuinely be annoyed by. That's all.

I came to this forum specifically for the discussions, because I was led to believe by various other members of the forum that there was a whole section devoted to show discussions and the kind of talk I enjoy participating in. When I arrived, I was welcomed, and there is a good number of members I've had very interesting and productive discussions with since.

Now you're telling me to go somewhere else because 'common folk' don't want me here, even in the Show Discussion section which I was under the impression was *for* this kind of thing. That nobody wants to hear my opinions, or listen to my ramblings. That they won't read past the first sentence because it annoys them that I spend time thinking about things.

Honestly, this discussion does make me feel like I shouldn't be here. That there may indeed be enough members who don't like what I do, that I should go find somewhere else to do it.

Edited by Fhaolan

And this is what I get. I don't usually reply to these types of threads because this is what comes of it. Things taken personally, arguments and hatred to be had by all. Now I feel like I'm a part of the problem in this fandom of a lack of love and tolerance...

This is what I get for coming out of my shell...

I came to this forum specifically for the discussions, because I was led to believe by various other members of the forum that there was a whole section devoted to show discussions and the kind of talk I enjoy participating in. When I arrived, I was welcomed, and there is a good number of members I've had very interesting and productive discussions with since.

Now you're telling me to go somewhere else because 'common folk' don't want me here, even in the Show Discussion section which I was under the impression was *for* this kind of thing. That nobody wants to hear my opinions, or listen to my ramblings. That they won't read past the first sentence because it annoys them that I spend time thinking about things.

Honestly, this discussion does make me feel like I shouldn't be here. That there may indeed be enough members who don't like what I do, that I should go find somewhere else to do it.

I didn't mean that. You are welcomed on these forums, as is everyone...even the haters (until they start spamming and hating, of course).

Look, bro, no hard feelings, no harm done? I don't personally take a liking to over-analysis, you participate in it. It's an inherent difference in our character and there's nothing wrong with that. If you were being sincere with your thoughts expressed, please forgive this idiot and his thoughtless rant. I do not want you to leave or feel unwelcomed.

I'm going to play fluttershy here and back off with a quiet: "I'm Sorry."

• Brohoof 2

To me, half the fun is considering the why behind different characters' actions and words. I'm not the kind of pony to dwell on animation errors, but when a character says or does something that doesn't have an immediate explanation, I like to think about what her motivation might have been to bring that about, and how it lines up with events from previous episodes that seemingly contradicts it.

To me, there are no continuity errors. There's just a lack of understanding of the whole picture.

"Over" analyzing the show is fine. Just because I realize the plot holes and inconsistencies doesn't mean the "magic" is lost. I simply keep perspective and realize they're nothing to be that bothered about (except for when they are). 

Regarding the matter, many would do well to read this or watch this. (They both make the same argument.)

Edited by ByTheTides
  • Brohoof 1

Over analysis of things in mlp and other fandoms is interesting, but it is only speculation and not likely since it's a show for little girls. For example, where the hell was Princess Luna during the changeling invasion? I've heard so much stuff that is amazing but way out of hand on this but no one really says anything simple and reasonable. I say she was maintaining equestrian rule from a bunker, after hearing word of chrysalis defeating celestia. I just think of it as what you would do if the white house we're under attack, and the president is being held for ransom. I am not talking about a certain film Channing Tatem was recently in, of which I haven't seen, but looked kickass

That makes sense, and is very articulate. I respectfully disagree with it, but I respect it nonetheless. However, I wasn't aware that other people voiced the same complaints (possibly in a more belligerent way, as it sounds in your blog) as me. I am very new to both being part of any sort of fandom, (the concept was alien to me until like 2 months ago) and to being a member of this forum.

I'm gonna try get your oringal post in a nut shell.

Ahem (Miss dashie)

"I wish fans wouldn't nerd up my little pony."

Am i correct?

Much like your example of the kessel run.  

You would prefer the show be seen as simple enjoyed and everyone should shut the hell up?

And this is what I get. I don't usually reply to these types of threads because this is what comes of it. Things taken personally, arguments and hatred to be had by all. Now I feel like I'm a part of the problem in this fandom of a lack of love and tolerance...

This is what I get for coming out of my shell...

And that's not what I wanted either. Sorry. I escalated this, and I shouldn't have. As a note, I wasn't angry or upset at you, it was more sadness at the whole thing. No hard feelings at all, and I hope you don't go into a shell quite yet.

For I feel that it may still be possible to turn this into a positive discussion. It might take a bit though, so please bear with me. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to do it by myself.

First, I'd like to agree that there is a lot of *negative* analysis, not just in this fandom but everywhere. The 'angry review' style, while popular, is a bit wearing both on the audience and the reviewer. It may be cathartic for awhile, but even for people who like analysis it will start to dig at you eventually.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that the original topic for this thread is that different to be honest. Instead of being a 'here's the top ten things wrong with this episode', it's part two of a 'top ten things wrong with the *fandom*'. Basically it is also analysis in and of itself, and it is presented in that negative manner, talking about what is wrong, what not to do, how bad something is, etc.

I like to think that what I do is *positive* analysis, finding things to build on, rather than finding things to tear down. So, my recommendation here is instead of trying to reduce analysis and take away the things that you dislike, let's try to add more things you do like. What kinds of thing would you *like* to talk about?

I'm gonna try get your oringal post in a nut shell.

Ahem (Miss dashie)

"I wish fans wouldn't nerd up my little pony."

Am i correct?

Much like your example of the kessel run.  

You would prefer the show be seen as simple enjoyed and everyone should shut the hell up?

For all intents and purposes, yes, you hit the nail on the head.

Is it bad I under-analyze everything? Like when teasers for stuff pop out, i'm normally like 'Eh, it's a part of an episode. Whoop de doo. If anybody wants me i'm playing Skyrim.' instead of saying 'OMG WHY MUST HASBRO SPOIL MAJOR PLOT POINTS!'.

I'm an odd pegasister, I know, and I agree with *most* of your post.

• 4 months later...

:Takes the stage..or soap box..and peers down at the jeering crowd:

SILENCE!!

:clears royal canterlot voice:

Honestly, we as a community have to stop this. We MUST stop! I will not stand here and point out differnt generations of Bronys, nor will I say the old or young hold more sway over the current affairs in the community. However! I will say this. That the constant, never ceasing, and beyond overy analyitcal approach we are taken to MLP is starting to affect the show itself in its writting!

:Awaits jeerks and roars to die down:

When I was a Pup, I recall going to see the Film, The Lion King. When I left the theater so much for me had changed, that to THIS-DAY, I recall that tingle I felt run down my spine for hours as my young mind tryed to work out the many messages it had just had shoved into it. Now, many, many years later as a full grown adult I look back on things with nostalgia, its natural. I have sat and watched many a "youtube star" videos, stripping apart this icon of my puphood. Picking out EACH-AND-EVERY flaw, plot hole and animation error. I had listend to "comedians" spend hours talking trash in a commentary style track to the film. And after all of these displays of pandering for "e-money" and my attention I had drawn a few conclussions. We as a community, we the internet generation, have grown cruel and attention seeking. And It must-STOP!

The fate of the film, The Lion King, by its "critics" and "haters" is a sad sad thing, this film set the bar for generations of story telling, still to come. Yet now its resident state is a joke about "sex" animation and "darth vadar as a kitty" jokes.

Will YOU allow this to happen to MLP:FIM? Sure, a meme picture with AJ leaning into the screen "saying", "You Mad?" and Rarity making a face saying, "I Mad" is very funny and enjoyable. But It is a whole nother thing for fans to be ripping at one another and even passing judgement on each other over opinions on episodes, and the fandom as a whole WHEN THE ENTIRE POINT OF MLP IS TO BE FRIENDS! NOT FOES!

So I say here and now, in the name of Lady Rarity, Queen Ra-Ra, in her pearl coated, perfect sky blue eyed glory...stop. Stop not for me, not for another thread online, but stop for YOU. For EACH OTHER. Stop for that 10 year old who just had the will to sign up too this forum and annouce he is a Brony. Stop for that 45 year old Mother of 2 that watchs the show with her pups every week and sports a Fluttershy shirt in public. Stop for Celestias sake! 

I enjoyed the Lion King in my youth on many levels, it was deep, fun, and had a great sound track. But most of all, It was simple and had a message. MLP fills ALL of these roles, weekly, and you know what..it's simple. SO STOP TRYING TO MAKE IT INTO A DAMN MATH PROBLEM. Somethings..just, somethings, can not be "figured out".

• Brohoof 15

I could not have said it better my self. I completely agree these "review" videos are starting to really piss me off. Like when people go into such depth about a cartoon and just tear it apart. I am like just enjoy the fucking show.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Dude, that's a part of human nature. You can't stop human nature.

Many people want to get angry and pass around their opinions no matter what. No community with free will can avoid it, as long as it has more than one human in it. We aren't a special case.

If you want to turn this entire place into a lifeless wasteland of ignorant and simple people, then be my guest, but I will protest.

Edited by Naught Important
  • Brohoof 5

I could not have said it better my self. I completely agree these "review" videos are starting to really piss me off. Like when people go into such depth about a cartoon and just tear it apart. I am like just enjoy the fucking show.

Many will argue "Well MLP is a big part of my entertainment lifestyle, so I am going to make a big deal out of it!"...I then reply with "Bro, I have 5 MLP Tattoos, that cover my body! I know a thing or two about things being a big deal". The reality is , this show, hell ANY show is still just a show. Ment to be there for you to take in, and let your over powerd mind turn it into what it will. 

....Guess what though? THAT DOESNT MEAN I WANT TO FEED YOUR STUPID YOUTUBE WALLET BY HEARING WHAT YOU THINK! I think I love MLP, I think I love its community, I ALSO THINK YOU JERKS ARE RUINING IT for those that do not have the fortitude or attitude to think for themselves.

• Brohoof 2

I know that the reviewers may be doing something wrong in their eyes, but a lot of people voice their opinions no matter how severe or how hurtful they may be.

It's only natural for a certain group of people to analyze things and point out flaws/what could have been done better. As for the things you pointed out about the lion king's "resident state", i disagree. For most people the lion king is a classic and amazing piece of storytelling that will always be regarded as special. The things you speak of are just minor slightly humorous details that have spread on the internet and are good to laugh at, just like any memes made about ANYTHING (derpy hooves is a great example of this, which the FiM writers chose to embrace).

• Brohoof 2

Dude, that's a part of human nature. You can't stop human nature.

Many people want to get angry and pass around their opinions no matter what. No community with free will can avoid it, as long as it has more than one human in it. We aren't a special case.

If you want to turn this entire place into a lifeless wasteland of ignorant and simple people, then be my guest, but I will protest.

Lifeless wasteland?...Really? Is it really human nature to shove others away and force your will upoun them? Is it human nature to dominate a focal point of a community with "omgz" and "no I'm right".

Just-enjoy-the-show

And if you can not do that without opening your big gob to be rude too someone lets try this "If you cant say anything nice about MLP say nothing at all!" You know, kinda like your MOTHER told you to act.

I am so sick of this internet-toughguy attitude that people truely believe allows them to over act and over rule simple instilled rules of life.

• Brohoof 1

Many will argue "Well MLP is a big part of my entertainment lifestyle, so I am going to make a big deal out of it!"...I then reply with "Bro, I have 5 MLP Tattoos, that cover my body! I know a thing or two about things being a big deal". The reality is , this show, hell ANY show is still just a show. Ment to be there for you to take in, and let your over powerd mind turn it into what it will. 

....Guess what though? THAT DOESNT MEAN I WANT TO FEED YOUR STUPID YOUTUBE WALLET BY HEARING WHAT YOU THINK! I think I love MLP, I think I love its community, I ALSO THINK YOU JERKS ARE RUINING IT for those that do not have the fortitude or attitude to think for themselves.

Now I am not trying to call anyone out here but one of the people that come to mine is MrAwkwardReviewer he has clearly lost intrest in the show and is now just reviewing just for the hell of it. In my opinion if MLP is not your favorite TV show or at least animated TV show then you should not be doing blind react videos for it.

• Brohoof 1

Bah, you Ponys keep using the term "natural" being cruel is NOT natural. Being annoying and trying to skirt the system to not have a real job by preying upoun the current "hot topics" with judgemental attitudes IS NOT NATURAL!

By these logics, your saying all of humanity is lazy, worthless, and vile. And out of EVERYTHING MLP is trying to teach the younger generations, NONE of these are on top. So perhaps those Bronies that ARE of age and have the time and monetary power to change and affect things like youtube, SHOULD HAVE SOME DAMN RESPONSIBILITY!

• Brohoof 2

Is it really human nature to shove others away and force your will upoun them? Is it human nature to dominate a focal point of a community with "omgz" and "no I'm right".

Yes, actually. It is a part of human nature to voice an opinion.

Also, you seem like a hypocrit with your points. You say people are overreacting and yet you are as well.

Instilled Rules of Life? What are those?

Really, all you are doing is suppressing free will. Where's the fun if you can't say what you want? Your logic is extremely flawed, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 5

You would honestly defend the right of a person to "speak there mind?", more power too you! I agree!!

What I do NOT agree with is drewling out some over used meme, or just saying something you KNOW will get peoples furs up, in order to make money off them.

The "art of the review" IS NOT AN ART! "Your" opinion isnt mine, nor should it be. Common sense right? The current state of the internet doesnt allow for this, instead it says "Omg bro you didnt see this video or read this blog, then you CLEARLY do not understand the subject matter!"

Really?

REALLY?!

(edited)
or just saying something you KNOW will get peoples furs up, in order to make money off them.

I don't agree with those who do that either, however you can not really know what is going on in other people's minds. As far as I know, you could be doing this very thing somehow.

Most of the well-known reviewers and analysts do not try to wrench their way into others' skin. They are more accepting of other opinions. Still, though, it is a part of human nature to exploit as well.

In a nutshell, human nature is to give the best result to the person. That could also include helping others, as that can bring satisfaction to some, but overall it is for one's benefit.

While it is a stupid and skilless way to get money, I would just let them be. Eventually they will find out how horrible of an idea it is, and they will regret it.

To summarize: you cannot generalize on the reviewing community. Many people are just doing it for shits and giggles, sure, but some do actually put work into their reviews. And, if people like doing that, then why stop them?

Edited by Naught Important
  • Brohoof 1

Bah, you Ponys keep using the term "natural" being cruel is NOT natural. Being annoying and trying to skirt the system to not have a real job by preying upoun the current "hot topics" with judgemental attitudes IS NOT NATURAL!

By these logics, your saying all of humanity is lazy, worthless, and vile. And out of EVERYTHING MLP is trying to teach the younger generations, NONE of these are on top. So perhaps those Bronies that ARE of age and have the time and monetary power to change and affect things like youtube, SHOULD HAVE SOME DAMN RESPONSIBILITY!

Yes, Yes and Yes. People or reviewers should have responsibility for the content that they produce. especially considering most of said reviewers are over the age of 18. But I would also never want to stop someones free speech. I feel like you may be traveling down a slippers slop.  

I never really understood why people watch the analysis videos. I can come here and read plenty of people's dumb opinions on MLP episodes. I don't see why I need a whole fancy video with a talking ponysona to go with it.

I don't think it's really affecting me, as I can just enjoy the episodes. If anything, the people who make these videos and the people who watch them are only hurting themselves, as they're sucking all the fun and joy out of FiM. If they want to do that, then fine, but they shouldn't be surprised when the show becomes stale and unfun for them.

Yes, Yes and Yes. People or reviewers should have responsibility for the content that they produce. especially considering most of said reviewers are over the age of 18. But I would also never want to stop someones free speech. I feel like you may be traveling down a slippers slop.

He doesn't have the power to stop their free speech anyway. And exercising free speech naturally comes with the downside of other people having the ability to criticize your opinions.

• Brohoof 3

Let me tell you a story about human nature...

I was raised to respect all females, all women. They are Mothers and keepers of our entire RACE! I was raised to open a car door, push a chair in and in general RESPECT them. I was at the store the other day, walking infront of a gal and I stopped, and opened the door for her. She spun on her heels and glared up at me and then went into full rant mode infront of a dozen other shoppers.

"What you doing?!? Tsk! I aint need no MAN to open no door for ME!"

So right about now your typing the reply of "Come on Jock, thats just one time and your a white knight to hold the door open in the first place" Well I will "White knight" all over this damn life, this was NOT a single incident, it happens all the time.

HUMAN NATURE in 2014, IS to be suspect of others. "What are they trying to get from me?!" <---that is human nature, period.

The online "reviews" of MLP:FIM are both ranged and skilled, flawed and perfect, lazy and hours spent on. But my entire point of this thread is THEY ARE NOT NEEDED! 

All you need my Ponys, ALL YOU NEED, is your own love for the girls, your respect for the messages and your desire to see more. THAT IS ALL.

Are you referring to Bronycurious' "Analysis"? I stopped caring about him and Digi. Honestly, if this weekends episode was nothing but 22 minutes of ponified olympics, I would have gotten bored fast. And don't tell me some of you wouldn't have either. Some people expect too much, and that saddens me sometimes.

• Brohoof 3