Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

how come photo finish gets a pass but not iron will

FNGRpony

I've seen some fans who disliked iron will for turning flutter shy into a jerk.

It's flutter shy who ultimately how she acted to iron wills lessons not iron will.

now i'm going to get into the dangerous territory of saying something speculative and negative about rarity (BOOOO, booo, you suck, get off the forum, get a rope!), oh shut up.

lets look at green isn't your color.  the reason why flutter shy didn't become a worse "pony" (person i'm still fighting pony speak) is she didn't care about that whole mess.

Rarity really wanted photo finish to use her product.

Now photo finish kinda seems like a demanding ass.  Am i entirely wrong?

Suppose she would have gone with Rarity?

Wouldn't have photo finish had a corrupting influence over rarity?

More likely than not?

I guess the point I'm trying to make, given the chance Photo finish would have been just a bad influence as iron will.

(booo you vaguely implied rarity might do bad stuff if attention, and social grace was dangled in front of her)

oh shut up.

• Brohoof 1

Photo Finish gets a free pass because she didn't convert Fluttershy into a demanding idiot who yells at her friends and then makes them cry. Once again, it was not Iron Will's fault that Fluttershy took the assertiveness advice like she did but Photo Finish did not end up with the same Fluttershy result so it's obvious she wouldn't get as much flak. As seen in "Sweet and Elite", Rarity would always pick her friends above her own wants so Photo Finish wouldn't have "corrupted" Rarity as Iron Will accidentally did to Fluttershy. 

• Brohoof 4

Photo Finish gets a free pass because she didn't convert Fluttershy into a demanding idiot who yells at her friends and then makes them cry. Once again, it was not Iron Will's fault that Fluttershy took the assertiveness advice like she did but Photo Finish did not end up with the same Fluttershy result so it's obvious she wouldn't get as much flak. As seen in "Sweet and Elite", Rarity would always pick her friends above her own wants so Photo Finish wouldn't have "corrupted" Rarity as Iron Will accidentally did to Fluttershy. 

Photo finish would have been a demanding client?  No?  I think this is a fair assumption.  I think that would have likely lead to a strained relation ship between her and her friends,

and I think rarity, the show being what it is, would make the right decision in the end,

in the end being the key word.

Well, Photo Finish gets a pass because the two episodes were entirely different. Fluttershy didn't really care about the fame or how it would try to have an effect on her. Iron Will gave Fluttershy advice on how to be assertive but, Fluttershy used the wrong method to be assertive. Photo Finish had a different result with Fluttershy, and she didn't corrupt Fluttershy because Rarity decided to put her friend above her own desire.

Maybe it's because you're working purely on speculation and not actual in show evidence? Even just looking at the stuff he actually taught her on stage, he was being rather pushy and rude.

Also it's a rather odd comparison that you're making since Photo Finish was never in any kind of position to teach Rarity about how to behave.

Maybe it's because you're working purely on speculation and not actual in show evidence? Even just looking at the stuff he actually taught her on stage, he was being rather pushy and rude.

Also it's a rather odd comparison that you're making since Photo Finish was never in any kind of position to teach Rarity about how to behave.

I'm basing it on character tendencies.

Rarity deeply desires status.  It's why she was jelous the whole damn episode.  It was important to her.

I mean if you need a pardon for rarity, i would spin it like,

it's not that rarity is bad, but the things she desires puts her in poor situations.

Iron Will atleast gave her the stupid refund like a gentle-taur. On the other hand, I totally forgot that Photo Finish existed.

she's in the opener.  I think that means we're getting more of her.

I don't have anything against Iron Will. In fact, i liked him because he was funny.

For instance, Iron Will: "Iron Will's got grocery shopping to do." *pulls out tiny little woven basket*

He even wears a comically tiny business tie, that ain't evil.

I wouldn't even really call him an antagonist. He was doing his job the way he knew best and thought he was helping the ponies. He behaved as a neutral character from beginning to end, and had no ill intentions towards anypony until he thought Fluttershy wasn't paying for his services. (which is totally understandable and an acceptable excuse)

Edited by crazitaco

I'm basing it on character tendencies.

Rarity deeply desires status. It's why she was jelous the whole damn episode. It was important to her.

I mean if you need a pardon for rarity, i would spin it like,

it's not that rarity is bad, but the things she desires puts her in poor situations.

Yeah, but you're comparing tendencies and speculation to actual in episode fact when comparing Photo Finish to Iron Will, and that's not a fair comparison to make.

My issue is not with your assessment of Rarity and her desires, but why you think she would be in any position to learn anything from Photo Finish. There is no suggestion that Rarity views her as a mentor, idol, or someone to emulate. All Photo Finish was to Rarity was a means to an end- a means to propel her career and make her a star. There is nothing suggesting that she would be in the position to tell Rarity how to behave. If she did make Rarity a star, would it have gone to her head? Maybe, but even then it wouldn't have been PF's fault unless she told Rarity to act that way.

On the other hand, we did at least see Iron Will tell Fluttershy how to behave, and even the behavior he taught her on stage was rather rude, before Fluttershy took it too far.

Edited by hawkflame

You make an interesting point. One I haven't thought of before. I'm not necessarily a fan of Iron Will, but I don't dislike him either, same with Photofinish. However, I know that the fandom does tend to dislike him.

If Photofinish had "corrupted" fluttershy, then I believe she would have gotten the same flack as Iron Will. However, if Photofinish had temporarily corrupted Rarity, there would be dislike, yes, but not like there is towards Iron Will. I say that not as a stab at rarity (I do admire her character), but as a general statement about the fandom as a whole. Fluttershy is the pony everyone sees themselves in. A lot of the fandom relate best with her, and feel for her the most because of how fragile she is. Rarity, on the other hand, is far from fragile, and is often the character we see ourselves in the least.

Again though, how fluttershy and rarity respond to these 2 is the big difference. Fluttershy chose to ignore (essentially) PhotoFinish, but not Iron Will. She chose that because she came seeking for iron will, where photofinish seeked her out.

I really have no idea where I was going with that, now that I think about it. xD I need to get better at this analysis stuff.

Yeah, but you're comparing tendencies and speculation to actual in episode fact when comparing Photo Finish to Iron Will, and that's not a fair comparison to make.

My issue is not with your assessment of Rarity and her desires, but why you think she would be in any position to learn anything from Photo Finish. There is no suggestion that Rarity views her as a mentor, idol, or someone to emulate. All Photo Finish was to Rarity was a means to an end- a means to propel her career and make her a star. There is nothing suggesting that she would be in the position to tell Rarity how to behave. If she did make Rarity a star, would it have gone to her head? Maybe, but even then it wouldn't have been PF's fault unless she told Rarity to act that way.

On the other hand, we did at least see Iron Will tell Fluttershy how to behave, and even the behavior he taught her on stage was rather rude, before Fluttershy took it too far.

You gave me a hell of an idea.

At first my knee jerk reaction was "we should have seen other ponies from iron hides show"

and maybe a slow, or even fast decline in behaviour across the town, as the pushy jerk epidemic hits a boiling point.

And what i wanted to do next wouldn't have worked because flutter shy doesn't have a little sister.

she doesn't have someone she mentors (pony wise) or looks out for that she could seen this new behaviour as "oh my gosh i've been doing that?"

You make an interesting point. One I haven't thought of before. I'm not necessarily a fan of Iron Will, but I don't dislike him either, same with Photofinish. However, I know that the fandom does tend to dislike him.

If Photofinish had "corrupted" fluttershy, then I believe she would have gotten the same flack as Iron Will. However, if Photofinish had temporarily corrupted Rarity, there would be dislike, yes, but not like there is towards Iron Will. I say that not as a stab at rarity (I do admire her character), but as a general statement about the fandom as a whole. Fluttershy is the pony everyone sees themselves in. A lot of the fandom relate best with her, and feel for her the most because of how fragile she is. Rarity, on the other hand, is far from fragile, and is often the character we see ourselves in the least.

Again though, how fluttershy and rarity respond to these 2 is the big difference. Fluttershy chose to ignore (essentially) PhotoFinish, but not Iron Will. She chose that because she came seeking for iron will, where photofinish seeked her out.

I really have no idea where I was going with that, now that I think about it. xD I need to get better at this analysis stuff.

he kinda feels like a pro wrestler to me.  I have to stop myself from calling him the rock for some odd reason.  maybe it's the catch phrases.

iron will at worst strikes me as someone who got the snow ball rolling.

Photo finish seemed to do alot more pushing, but than again her subject was alot more resistent.

I mean ultimately didn't flutter shy's friend ship get in the way of what photo finish's goals?

She might not be a villian as it stands, but demanding personality,

goals not aligning with friend ship,

see where i'm going with this?

Its gotta alot of the ingrediants to be a villian, it just needs stiring,

hell, who knows diamond tiara might grow up to be something like photo finish.

Eye for detail, pushy personality,

Edited by FNGRpony