gaming Character creation: How much effort do you put into it?

verycreativeusername

Character Creation  

39 users have voted

1. 1. What do you do when you face the character creation screen?

• I choose a preset character and go.
    • I change some things up to my liking but not much.
    • I spend a good amount of time creating my character to make them just right.
    • MUST BE PERFECT! I spend one or more hours creating my character and making everything the way I want.

Well, seeing as I am not usually seeing my characters much, especially underneath all that armour, I don't usually put that much effort into it.

Except in Pokemon Y. I have put loads of time into customizing my character there.

It doesn't matter what game I'm playing. If there's a character creation option, I spend close to twenty or thirty minutes making the character just the way I like it. I don't like taking too long on it, though. I might wanna create a character the way I want, but I also want to get to the game sooner rather than later.

• Brohoof 3

I put as much time into making my character to make them just right because, if I didn't make them to my liking it would render my plan to be completely useless. I don't go with the presets when they are dull and just lazy.

• Brohoof 2

Hmm. I guess it depends on the game. If it is Skyrim then I put some time into it. Fallout I put a little bit more time into it and Mass Effect I put more time then I should xD

I guess it depends on how often you actually see your character in the game.

• Brohoof 3

It just depends on the games for me. For games like Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas, I don't spend all too long on customizing the look of the character but I spend a good bit on the personality. It's the exact opposite for Sims games, I spend around 30 minutes to one hour in customizing the look of the Sim but I spend a minute or two on the personality. Either way, I'm going to be stuck with that character for the entire game so I might as well put it to my liking. 

• Brohoof 1

I spend about 10 or 5 minutes making my character when the option of change it later is avalible.When this options isint avalible, I spend about 20 to 30 minutes making my character.Sometimes I made them as how I am, sometimes like the characters I create, but I think this is a very personal decition...

Hmm. I guess it depends on the game. If it is Skyrim then I put some time into it. Fallout I put a little bit more time into it and Mass Effect I put more time then I should xD

I guess it depends on how often you actually see your character in the game.

I actually agree with you with the Skyrim thing.

What's the point of putting a lot of time into a character when his face won't be distinguishable under that iron helmet?

• Brohoof 1

I would spend some time making my character the way I want it. Then about halfway through the game I will end up wanting to change my play style and therefore creating another character -_- . It happens all the time, no matter what I play Skyrim, Fallout etc.

It just depends on the games for me. For games like Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas, I don't spend all too long on customizing the look of the character but I spend a good bit on the personality. It's the exact opposite for Sims games, I spend around 30 minutes to one hour in customizing the look of the Sim but I spend a minute or two on the personality. Either way, I'm going to be stuck with that character for the entire game so I might as well put it to my liking. 

Well said, I completely forgot about Sims games, but I agree with you on it :)

• Brohoof 1

Heck, I write up my own backstories for such characters. Plus I 'play' the character, deciding which quests to actually do as per the 'character' I created. :)

I love character creation in games, so I tend to spend a lot of time making sure I like the way my character looks. I'm usually in no hurry to get to the actual game part of the game, so I don't rush making a character. I don't know why I do it in games like The Elder Scrolls or Fallout though. You don't spend a whole lot of time looking at your character in those games, yet I still spend time making sure my character looks nice. 

• Brohoof 2

If I'm playing the game just to play the game, I'll spend a fair amount of time on character creation. If I'm roleplaying the game (i.e. a Breton mage fresh off the boat in Skyrim that detests wielding a physical weapon and follows Khajiit around because they remind him of his lost cat), then I'll put a ton of time into creation for the sake of roleplaying. 

• Brohoof 2

I put quite a bit in, but it depends on the game. For Mass Effect, since I planned to export my character all the way through, I spent some time on her, but in games like the Sims I'm obviously gonna spend a lot of time on them. I put a lot of effort into my Dragon Age characters, too.

Some games just have ugly ugly expressions, though, so I just blast through it or make them horrible (coughcoughOblivion).

Another thing is my attachment to the character; some games make me feel a lot more caring about them than others.

Given I have done the old thing of D and D

and making them on paper a bit,  well i do

put way to much into them like s back history/flaws/

habbits/fears/personaitly traits/birthday and clothing

and such what.  I do the same thing for my

pony oc's and all.  Once  i get back into

online gaming than I'll do the same thing.

I also rp online a lot in forums a lot

and tend to over do it on my cannon

a bit and such things long I got

the freedom to make her/him the

way i like.

Lots! In fact, for a lot of games and stuff I'd say that character creation is the most fun part, and sometimes as far as I get. =P

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, I usually spend a good amount of time on character creators in games, I usually go for something that resembles me but I have a few recurring characters for some games, and sometimes have fun ideas. I don't play too many games with a character creator though honestly. :lol:

Edited by Radiance64
  • Brohoof 1

I put as much time into character creation as humanly possible. It is one of my favorite features in any game, if done right. It usually takes me an hour or two just to get the character to look perfect in my eyes before the game starts. :P

I always do what I can to look as eastern as possible, as I always take on a samurai method of fighting, mainly with dark souls as I greatly favor the Uchigatana, black hair, ponytail to go with it and try to make my face as eastern as possible, usually some games have this premade for me

• 2 weeks later...

I try to make them look presentable, so hair, body shape and such is usually an afterthought while I pay more attention on what they wear