Why do ponies speak English?

Dreadmallon

• 2 weeks later...

This thread seems like over thinking it. The argument for a a crutch. Ponies speak English for our convenience. A discussion like this makes a lot more sense in Sci-Fi shows like Stargate.

I basically agree with this. They speak English because the show originated from an English-speaking nation.

(edited)

Or maybe, Ponies didn't evolve from horses, maybe these ponies evolved from humans, which is why they speak our language. If there was some environmental change in our world that slowly gave the people with more pony-like traits the advantage, after millions of years humans could evolve into them.

Well... maybe not.

I say we invent the pony language.

Yes, totally! It will be the Brony code, and we'll use it to identify each other.

Edited by matau

• 2 years later...

Of course they speak English.  In EqG, when Twilight came to the human world, (which is representative of our world) she was able to understand to English speaking humans just fine.  Therefore, If Equestrians don't speak English, they must at least speak a very, very simmilar language.

Judging by the fact that their language is very different, using symbols instead of letters the way we do, I'm assuming that mlp is all an english translation but I honestly doubt the creators put a lot of thought in to that aspect of the show.

- "Um... I was just wondering if it's okay if I hold you down against your will for a little bit?"

:fluttershy:Fluttershy is Best Pony! :kindness: 

Well, I will say this.  If it's true that Equestria is European-based, and that the world of FiM really IS a post-apocalyptic setting where a nuclear war destroyed humanity and mutated certain creatures, it actually makes sense that they could speak English.

A Winner Is You!!!

Of course they speak English.  In EqG, when Twilight came to the human world, (which is representative of our world) she was able to understand to English speaking humans just fine.  Therefore, If Equestrians don't speak English, they must at least speak a very, very simmilar language.

Do we really know for certain that it was supposed to be our Earth and not some sort of parallel-version of the Equestrian world where everyone is a human? They never mentioned any existing locations or countries and there’s also the small detail of people having pink, blue or green skins colors. Even if it was our Earth it doesn’t automatically means that Twilight ended up in an English-speaking country. For all we know EQG could’ve taken place somewhere in Russia during the summer months.

They speak jaPONYz. Lol

no, like a poster before me said the written language is clearly not English so it must be a translation into the viewer's language. Just like in Star Wars they speak Imperial Standard and the writen characters reflect that. But it sounds like English to us because no one wants to watch English speaking actors speak some made up language and read subtitles thru an action filled movie.

post-8308-0-29888000-1384899338.png

signature by Kyoshi (Turbo Button)

Do we really know for certain that it was supposed to be our Earth and not some sort of parallel-version of the Equestrian world where everyone is a human? They never mentioned any existing locations or countries and there’s also the small detail of people having pink, blue or green skins colors. Even if it was our Earth it doesn’t automatically means that Twilight ended up in an English-speaking country. For all we know EQG could’ve taken place somewhere in Russia during the summer months.

The wierd skin and hair colors of the poeple was just the animators taking artistic liberties.  here's a live action video (officially licensed by Hasbo) for proof.

Also, about equestria girls not taking place in the US and possibly not even in our world, I have reason to believe the contrary.  I've always viewed Equestria as being a paralelle to the US not in it's culture or its government but in its geography.  Take a look at this official map of the kingdom.

img-3451412-1-Map_of_Equestria_April_201

Just like the US it's bordered by a frozen arctic to the notth, a dry barren deasert to the south, and oceons to the east and west.  On top of that, the cities Manehatten, Fillydelphia, Baltimare, Las Pegasus and Vanhoover are all simmilar not only in name and appearance but also in geographic location to real cities in the USA (Manhatten, Philidelphia, Baltimore, Las Vagas, and Vancoover).  If we assume that these parallels also apply to the world of EqG, because Canterlot is in the dead center of Equestria, that would place CHS and the surrounding city somewhere in the state of Kansass USA.  To further support this idea, I don't remember exactly who said it but one of the shows writters claimed that EqG was meant to be like The Wizard of Oz in reverse (if only EqG wasn't such a huge pile of horse manuer).  While The Wizard of Oz is about a regular Girl in the mundane state of Kansas travelling to a magical fantasy world, EqG is about a pricess travelling from a magical fantasy world to a mundane everyday highschool.  If CHS exists in Kansass, it would only re-enforce this paralelle.  if EqG takes place in Kansass, then the students there speak English.  Therefore, Twilight Sparkle speaks English. Therefore Everypony in equestria speaks the same language but possibly have a different name for that laguage and possibly a different alphabet.  If it isn't English, It simmilar enough to sound like English. 

Edited by Serenade
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...
(edited)

Do we really know for certain that it was supposed to be our Earth and not some sort of parallel-version of the Equestrian world where everyone is a human? They never mentioned any existing locations or countries and there’s also the small detail of people having pink, blue or green skins colors. Even if it was our Earth it doesn’t automatically means that Twilight ended up in an English-speaking country. For all we know EqG could’ve taken place somewhere in Russia during the summer months.

As far as I'm concerned, the EqG world seems to be a parallel Earth.  It's not exactly the same as our world but It seems to be more like Earth than Equestria.  As for the weird skin and hair colors, that's probably just be due to the art style.  In fact, there's already a pretty good depiction, officially licensed by Hasbro, of what the humane six would look like in real life.

shot0010%5B1%5D.png

Before you bring it up, I know Rarity refereed to Brad as a "blue haired' guitar player.  However, considering that Brad seems to go more for the "cool guy" type of look, he probably just dyes his hair blue.

In fact, if we do assume that the EqG world is basically the same as our own Earth, I think I know where Canterlot High would be. compare these two pictures.

maxresdefault.jpg

golden-town1.jpg

The top picture is from the Equestria Girls video "My Past Is Not Today".  That's what the town surrounding Canterlot High looks like.  The Bottom picture is a little town named "Golden" in British Columbia (that's part of Canada).  Between the smaller buildings/houses, the rolling snowy mountain range right next to them, as well as the fact that there's a crapload of plant life (most of them being pine trees), both pictures seem to be of the same place.  Considering that most of Canada speaks English, that would mean the people from Canterlot High do as well.  When she first traveled to the EqG world, the most Trouble Twilight had in communicating with the humans was mixing up her adverbs (like saying "everypony" instead of "everybody")  That would mean that if Equestrians don't speak English, they at least speak a language that's very very very similar to English at least in the way of spoken dialog.  Maybe they have a different name for it.  Maybe they use a different alphabet.  But the actual spoken words and the grammar and all that is the same as English.

Edited by Serenade
  • Brohoof 1

@@Dreadmallon,

Well they also speak Japanese, German, Spanish, and a whole lotta other Earth languages depending on where you're watching the show. Personally I think it's like in Transformers or other sci-fi fantasy things that don't take place on Earth. They AREN'T speaking our tongue but we hear it that way.