Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do ponies speak English?

Dreadmallon

Well, maybe it is just a translation, for the convenience of human viewers? They COULD speak a different language, but we will probably never find out. The probability that they ACTUALLY DO speak English is almost zero, BUT it is still possible! Those are my only two theories for explaining it, although if the second one was more probable I would have stuck with it more than the first.

• Brohoof 3

Possibility 1: It's being translated for us. Maybe their actual language is closer to horses.

Possibility 2: This is a possible future of our world, and they learned our language.

Possibility 3: This is a world parallel to ours, and just evolved a vary similar language. There are many other versions of Equestria, many with different languages.

Do we really need this thread? It's a cartoon..

Do we really need any of these threads? What's the harm? Besides, it's fun to wonder about these things.

• Brohoof 8

This thread seems like over thinking it. The argument for a a crutch. Ponies speak English for our convenience. A discussion like this makes a lot more sense in Sci-Fi shows like Stargate.

• Brohoof 4

1: Its created in USA.

2: Is a cartoon

3:They are the ponies we have today but they have destroyed the human kind and learn the english langueage from books.

• Brohoof 2

Ponies speak english because if they didn't we wouldn't understand them and then there wouldn't be bronies and the world would be a dark, hateful place! We need our ponies!

• Brohoof 2

I read a fanfic that english humans used to rule over the ponies, and they forced the ponies to learn English, after the ponies killed the humans they carried on with using english.

• Brohoof 1

There might be an England either in or outside of Equestria. Remeber that in Suited For Success, Fluttershy was complaining that her dress was not "true French horte corture", which means that there has to be a France, or at least French influences in society.

• Brohoof 4

Be glad they speak in English. The popularity of a show hinges on the viewer's ability to know what the hay is going on.

• Brohoof 4

This is a silly thread. How would they have them speak a different language then English? Would they subtitle the episodes? It's produced for an English speaking market, so of course it will be in English.

Sheesh! It's a cartoon!

• Brohoof 2

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ars_I3kzOAw

Is this what you want?

Is it?

Oh my, now I can't unsee that! Ponies actually speak like that and theya re just dubbed in english!

It's probably an offshoot of this trope. I wish I could find one which is more specific to MLP: FiM, since they aren't aliens (although they would be quite alien for our purposes).

(edited)

They're actually speaking untranslated Poniese.

It's just coincidence that it happens to sound exactly like english.

Edited by Jadefire

(edited)

Actually, they speak German...

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXjizYPm08A

Of course, we all know the real truth. The episodes we see are translated from the original Ponese to the language of the audience. Thus viewers in English-speaking countries see them speaking English, when in fact they're speaking Ponese.

It's also worth noting that things like signs and letters which appear in the show are in Ponese, and are not translated.

Interestingly, written Ponese looks suspiciously like like English, but obscured.

Edited by ponyvangelist
  • Brohoof 2