Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In your headcanon do the Ponies speak English or their own language?

Azureth

Oh wow, I don't know why it sounds so funny in my head that the ponies in the show just communicate through neighs and indistinguishable equine grunts, translated to English and all of the other languages... That made me giggle. :lol:

But nah, I've always liked to believe that the characters in the show speak actual English, then it's just translated to the other languages wherever the show is aired. I always preferred to watch shows in their original audio, i.e. shows produced in America in English and stuff like anime, in Japanese. So that's basically my headcanon.

• Brohoof 2

To keep things nice and simple, I would go with them speaking a sort of modified version of ultra-uber smacking of tails and sniffing noises with varying noise levels of the words 'hurf' and 'gurf' to add questions or exclamations.

However, I want extreme complexity so I stick with them speaking English.

• Brohoof 1

I would like to think they speak their own language, not necessarily horse neighs and grunts since you see their mouths move with the use of a complex language, and it is just translated to a language we can understand. It has always sort of bugged me that in every show and cartoon almost, no matter what alien or terrestrial race we meet or watch, they always speak almost perfect English (or the native language of the airing country). I know why they do it, and it makes perfect sense that they do it, so I agree with it... but still from a reality point of view it sort of irks me.

• Brohoof 2

I think it'd be a little disrespectful to the mythos and the world they live in to just assume they speak north American english.

If the ponies have their own world, history and culture, language should follow suit. Run with the whole thing.

I have looked over a number of these comments and I would have to say that they are pretty creative. :)

Maybe one theory could be is that the viewers (the audience) is provided with a universal translator that translates their language into one that we can understand.

50 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

I like to think they speak their own language in fiction.

That is kinda my view. Reminds me of Babylon 5 where, IIRC, the creator said something along the lines of when the aliens speak to other aliens; it's in their own language. It's only in English for the benefit of the viewer.

I pretty much look at MLP in the same light.

1 hour ago, Geralt of Poland said:

I don't remember which episode it was but I think one of the CMCs said the word "English" once :ooh:

And if I recall correctly, in the episode "The Cutie Pox", Applebloom acquires a fleur de Lis, and starts speaking French. She even asks if she was speaking French.

So I think it is safe to reason that languages such as French, English, and German might exist in that world.

• Brohoof 1

IMO, they speak their own language & it is translated.

Of course, if you accept the Equestria Girls world as actually existing, then the ponies must speak some Earth language because Twilight could understand them when she went there.

In one of his stories over at Fimfiction, Admiral Biscuit suggested that at one time Earth & EQ were in regular contact (that's why so many EQ critters are in Earth legends).  At that time they spoke Ancient Greek.  Modern EQ is descended from that language, just like Modern Greek is.

So, the Ponies speak a Greekish language. Probably no more like Modern Greek than, for example, Portuguese & Spanish or Italian & French.  At one time, they were all Latin & linguists can tell but they're different today) 

Edited by sweetolebob18