Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pinkie is their what now? ["Pinkie Apple Pie" spoilers]

Forlong

Okay, for those of you who missed it, Pinkie is Applejack's fourth cousin twice removed by a fifth cousin.

mlfw2610_small.jpg

Okay, let me clear things up.  A fourth cousin would be somepony who shares an ancestor with you from five generations back.  Being "removed" means that the degrees of relation are different for both parties.  Basically that AJ is either two generations higher or lower in the family tree than Pinkie Pie.  For example, Pinkie's great grandparents being AJ's great great great grandparents.  You cannot be removed via another cousin.  That's just stupid techno-babble nonsense.

Edited by Forlong

Pinkie Pie has to have an ancestor on her side of the family that shares a relation to one of AJ's ancestors, I know it doesn't make any sense. Hear me out, if they are related in any way there has to be a connection between the two of them besides the cousin part that the writers made. Maybe they share an old relation from their ancestors.

When I heard them say, fourth Cousin twice removed, it reminded me of, Baby Cakes. Mrs. Cake had a pegasus on her side that was her great aunt second cousin twice removed.

Still it's hard to say that they are related seeing as nothing was cleared up and we weren't given an answer. I'm going to stick with Pinkie Pie is an honorary family member and nothing more. 

Edited by pinkiefan1287

I think it was probably just thrown in to make them sound distantly related. Though  it could've been done more like AJ's great, great, great, great aunt was Pinkie Pie's great, great, great, great, great grandfather's cousin, or something like that. Or it could be that they meant it as AJ's 4th cousin twice removed is related to PP's 5th cousin but just messed up the wording? It's still a little bit ridiculous to me, though, because usually when someone's that far removed, are they really still considered family? 

When I heard them say, fourth Cousin twice removed, it reminded me of, Baby Cakes. Mrs. Cake had a pegasus on her side that was her great aunt second cousin twice removed.

Still it's hard to say that they are related seeing as nothing was cleared up and we weren't given an answer. I'm going to stick with Pinkie Pie is an honorary family member and nothing more. 

Well, it is possible to be an aunt and second cousin twice removed via marriage...

I think it was probably just thrown in to make them sound distantly related. Though  it could've been done more like AJ's great, great, great, great aunt was Pinkie Pie's great, great, great, great, great grandfather's cousin, or something like that. Or it could be that they meant it as AJ's 4th cousin twice removed is related to PP's 5th cousin but just messed up the wording? It's still a little bit ridiculous to me, though, because usually when someone's that far removed, are they really still considered family? 

Wait what? :o

As for her being considered family, with the expansive size of the Apple Family, this would be a big deal.  There is also the fact that Pinkie is their friend and being even distantly related to her would be a big deal.

Wait what? :o

As for her being considered family, with the expansive size of the Apple Family, this would be a big deal.  There is also the fact that Pinkie is their friend and being even distantly related to her would be a big deal.

Okay, but I think of it this way. Generally, it's acceptable by both law and society (somewhat) to marry a third cousin, at the closest, and any further degrees of separation are deemed acceptable as well. This is because the DNA shared between third cousins is less than 1%. How diluted does your DNA have to be before you're not technically related anymore? Because if you think very trace amounts matter, you can say that we're all related. We all share some DNA and if you trace back far enough, you can probably be related to just about anyone. So at what point does your relation to someone fall into obscurity?

Honestly, I think they were just doing the whole cousin thing to be funny.  I wouldn't take it all that seriously.  I doubt it'll even be relevant beyond this episode.

Edited by SBaby

Okay, but I think of it this way. Generally, it's acceptable by both law and society (somewhat) to marry a third cousin, at the closest, and any further degrees of separation are deemed acceptable as well. This is because the DNA shared between third cousins is less than 1%. How diluted does your DNA have to be before you're not technically related anymore? Because if you think very trace amounts matter, you can say that we're all related. We all share some DNA and if you trace back far enough, you can probably be related to just about anyone. So at what point does your relation to someone fall into obscurity?

Remember a documentary that more or less claimed all humanity is inter-related from about 7 or so humans originally.

I-I think that this whole family tree business is way too confusing. 

I'm just going to say they're cousins and leave it at that.