Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

More shout outs to the bronies!

Binary Blast

So I just finished Apple Pinkie Pie and I saw the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life! well almost. It was almost as great as the time I went *gasps* but who could top that. This was a line spoken by Applebloom, during the raft while she was looking for the map and she starts singing, and I shit you not this was actually what she sang, "M-to the A to the P, ain't no other pony find a map like me I'm Appleici-uh oh (as she drops the map)" As you would probably guess, on hearing this I got extremely excited and posted a post on the mlp forum and that's where then meets up with now! so yeah it's just fun knowing that hasbro knows we're out there and someone who gets to make some important decisions watches are content, it was a nice reference and I love acknowledgement from hasbro. What are some of you other guys' favorite brony shout outs in the mlp series?

The Fluttertree reference in Hurricane Fluttershy. Why? Because it made sense. It still worked as a scene if you didn't know the reference. The Applelicious reference this weekend makes no sense if you don't know what the reference is. Why would she say "I'm Applelicious" at that point?

• Brohoof 1

The Applelicious reference this weekend makes no sense if you don't know what the reference is.

I'd usually agree with this argument (stupid wub face) but I thought the scene was cute enough to work. It wasn't like the episode was derailed for this reference to work; they probably needed something boastful for her to say, and they were like "let's use that 'licious' thing they all like".

Edited by CITRUS KING46

The Fluttertree reference in Hurricane Fluttershy. Why? Because it made sense. It still worked as a scene if you didn't know the reference.

As Fluttertree was in the final draft of the script (and how long it takes to animate an episode — at least one year), I argue that it's a huge stretch to call it a brony reference. At the most, it's a continuity callback to Fluttershy's quip in Over a Barrel.

The Applelicious reference this weekend makes no sense if you don't know what the reference is.
I'd say it makes sense either way, because Apple Bloom is trying to further impress Pinkie Pie and screwed up royally. The fact that Applejack (repeatedly) and Big Mac called her out for it was a very good thing because she paid for that stunt.

What are some of you other guys' favorite brony shout outs in the mlp series?
Derpy in The Last Roundup (original version, not the offensively censored one). She was aloof, cute, and funny, yet treated as an equal and got back up to her four hooves.
  • Brohoof 2

I thought the Applelicious reference was pretty funny and cute ^_^ They probably just wanted to come up with a catchy tune for her to sing after she got the map and they decided to parody the Licious videos :) It's a nice little subtle nod at the fandom to where some may understand it, and some may not.

One must wonder if the writers are now bronies themselves and hidden among us :)

The Applelicious reference this weekend makes no sense if you don't know what the reference is

I have NO idea what this is referencing supposedly, and I still saw it as horrendously cute, in character, and outrageously hilarious...

It didn't need to "make sense" to be funny.. Thats actually something that most reference jokes fail at. Without knowing, they just fall flat. But this one, among many others the series has done, don't even need to be recognized to be laughed at.

As Fluttertree was in the final draft of the script (and how long it takes to animate an episode — at least one year), I argue that it's a huge stretch to call it a brony reference. At the most, it's a continuity callback to Fluttershy's quip in Over a Barrel.

Not really, especially since Over A Barrel almost exactly a year earlier, and what I understood was that the *whole process* takes over a year, not just the animation.  So it's not inconceivable, considering how quickly the meme caught on.  Where did you find that it was in the final draft?

It just seems like an odd callback to make, especially if you're not trying to reference the meme.

Where did you find that it was in the final draft?

From the words of one of HF's storyboard artists:

Well, the first tree gag [Fluttershy in the tree] was in the script. The second one (if you mean the one with RD's eyes popping out of the tree) was me. What's with the tree/fluttershy thing? Is it a fandom thing? I keep seeing comments. XD I'm so curious!!!!

Not really, especially since Over A Barrel almost exactly a year earlier, and what I understood was that the *whole process* takes over a year, not just the animation.

The animation of an episode itself takes at least a year. However, the entire process, from the start of the script to the official airing, lasts anywhere from fifteen to eighteen months. And scripts are usually locked about fifteen months in advance before moving onto the next steps.

1. Princess Twilight Sparkle: August 2012.
  2. Equestria Girls: March 2012.
  3. Magical Mystery Cure: November 2011.
  4. Bats!: October 2012.

Because of this, you can guesstimate that the final draft of Hurricane Fluttershy's script was locked somewhere between November 2010 and January 2011, back when the fandom and staff were just starting to form a relationship.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

Slender mane xD don't believe me? Watch again... When pinkie pounces on AJ before they meet Goldie Delicious... Lurking in the bushes is a faceless pony in a suit...

522392__safe_animated_spoiler-colon-s04e

Edited by JellyBean

@@JellyBean, Or is it another one of those mysterious things that have been going on all season?

:)

It could just be a G-Pony looking to go after Goldies cats and hoarding problems!

With no face? Creepy

I suppose it could be... But still... Creepy mystery pony

• Brohoof 1

From the words of one of HF's storyboard artists:

The animation of an episode itself takes at least a year. However, the entire process, from the start of the script to the official airing, lasts anywhere from fifteen to eighteen months. And scripts are usually locked about fifteen months in advance before moving onto the next steps.

1. Princess Twilight Sparkle: August 2012.
  2. Equestria Girls: March 2012.
  3. Magical Mystery Cure: November 2011.
  4. Bats!: October 2012.

Because of this, you can guesstimate that the final draft of Hurricane Fluttershy's script was locked somewhere between November 2010 and January 2011, back when the fandom and staff were just starting to form a relationship.

But then what about Derpy?  Given your timeline, The Last Roundup was written at best *right* when she was first named on 4chan on Oct 25 2010.  And it was in as early as the second draft of the script, which by the estimates given here would have been written still really, really early in the fandom- probably too early for any meaningful connection between production and the fans.  Doesn't seem to fit your timeline, and yet- there she was. 

But then what about Derpy?

Late in 2010/Early in 2011, the fandom and staff were just forming a relationship. Derpy was likely the first brony spotting from the staff's perspective, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jayson Thiessen wanted to acknowledge them as a result. I assume TLR was locked sometime in December 2010, as locking it anywhere closer could force Top Draw to rush the animation and production.

The guesstimation isn't perfect, and as far as the locking is concerned, you can give or take one to two months. Fifteen (or thirteen) to eighteen months seems to be the average span from the locked script to episode airing, apparently.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

The Appleicious reference was the one shout out that made me laugh, I think the writers don't exactly expect to have these random shout outs to the fandom but they do happen. :P

Make sense?

If something can be that fun, in spite of making sense i have to question the need of making sense.

Take hearts as strong as horses.

It's been pointed out the song offers nothing to the episode,

but it's still pretty darn good.

What would you have replaced that scene with?

Apple bloom just butter fingering the map?

she's a dumb kid, a dumb kid blowing something by being yound and immature?

Nah.

Sides it's apple bloom, as the best cmc on the show she was the right pony for the job.

Slender mane xD don't believe me? Watch again... When pinkie pounces on AJ before they meet Goldie Delicious... Lurking in the bushes is a faceless pony in a suit...

img-2198278-1-522392__safe_animated_spoi

holy shit, this is my new favorite thing! thank you for showing me this sir and I love you

The Fluttertree reference in Hurricane Fluttershy. Why? Because it made sense. It still worked as a scene if you didn't know the reference. The Applelicious reference this weekend makes no sense if you don't know what the reference is. Why would she say "I'm Applelicious" at that point?

I had no idea about the reference, but I still laughed at that scene.  I just saw Applebloom being a kid and trying to be cool, and failing.  How does that not make sense?

But then what about Derpy?  Given your timeline, The Last Roundup was written at best *right* when she was first named on 4chan on Oct 25 2010.  And it was in as early as the second draft of the script, which by the estimates given here would have been written still really, really early in the fandom- probably too early for any meaningful connection between production and the fans.  Doesn't seem to fit your timeline, and yet- there she was. 

Holy hell. You just love to complain don't you?

I had no idea about the reference, but I still laughed at that scene. I just saw Applebloom being a kid and trying to be cool, and failing. How does that not make sense?

How was she going to finish her last line there? I'm Apple Bloom? I'm Applelicious? Why would she say either of those?

Holy hell. You just love to complain don't you?

What exactly was I complaining about there? I was just having a conversation with Dark Qiviut. Edited by hawkflame

How was she going to finish her last line there? I'm Apple Bloom? I'm Applelicious? Why would she say either of those?

Thank you :P

I'm not the only one that questioned that :P

All I heard her say was "I'm apple.. uh-oh"  I never heard the additional "li" that I've seen claimed... Best guess is people are hearing the end of apple and hearing the "L" come off as something more..

But TBH, not knowing the supposed reference I just figured she was doing a generic victory dance and naming herself in the process.

She did start with "apple" though, but what came next.. def questionable.. In my experience it would be the individual naming themselves as awesome.. but it literally could've gone anywhere.

Either way, I found her dance and song absolutely hilarious. These kinds of subtle yet fun shout outs to either front (pop culture or the fans) work fine IMO as they can add to the show in so many ways without detracting from it or being one of those head tilting moments of "wtf was that?".

Edited by GrimCW

Thank you :P

I'm not the only one that questioned that :P

All I heard her say was "I'm apple.. uh-oh"  I never heard the additional "li" that I've seen claimed... Best guess is people are hearing the end of apple and hearing the "L" come off as something more..

But TBH, not knowing the supposed reference I just figured she was doing a generic victory dance and naming herself in the process.

She did start with "apple" though, but what came next.. def questionable.. In my experience it would be the individual naming themselves as awesome.. but it literally could've gone anywhere.

Either way, I found her dance and song absolutely hilarious. These kinds of subtle yet fun shout outs to either front (pop culture or the fans) work fine IMO as they can add to the show in so many ways without detracting from it or being one of those head tilting moments of "wtf was that?".

It's the way she said it also that pointed to it being a reference, for example when she spells out the word (like in the videos) then she says ain't no other pony find a map like me in reference to, ain't no other pony troll it down like me (from the vid) and also it was in the same tune.

I thought the reference was neat. Some people might call it fan pandering, but I think it was just a nice little tidbit. I liked the RD wub face in Daring Don't, personally. :P