Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are There Police In The MLP: FiM Universe

Moost

(edited)

The royal guards job is to guard royalty and the capital city.

You never see them without one of the princesses nearby, or when they took Twilight to Ponyville in the first episode.

There are other ponies with police and protection duties, like the sheriff in Apploossa, the security guard at the hospital, the TSA ponies in Discord's song, and the cop in Cheese's song when he first comes to Ponyville.

I believe that yes, mlp has police, and other forms of law enforcement. The Guards, are the law enforcement of canterlot, simply for ceremonial reasons, because the Princesses live there. Still there is a chance that they also have police there.

In one episode, they even featured a sheriff, so I assume there are other forms of law enforcement. Also, there are security guards.

Is there a centralized police force in Equestria? I would say no. Basic local authorities that only adhere to their own localities? Most likely.

The Royal Guard seem really limited to the capital (Canterlot), and as ShadOBabe has said, they're primary objective is probably to protect the Princesses. Though keeping the citizens of Canterlot safe would also probably be on the list of major priorities as well I would guess.

Appaloosa has Sheriff Silverstar,

Security guards for Ponvyille General Hospital

The Airport security guards? In Discord's song (This felt more like a gag thing to me, also what city would they be in?)

The officers in Cheese's song. These ones are probably the closest to being a formal Police force – in terms of dress at least. This would also mark really their first appearance (I don't recall seeing them earlier). Where the heck have they been this whole time?

A centralized police force, doubtful. Basic local parish authorities or constables that adhere to only their local city/town, that's probably it.

Edited by pony.colin
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
The officers in Cheese's song. These ones are probably the closest to being a formal Police force – in terms of dress at least. This would also mark really their first appearance (I don't recall seeing them earlier). Where the heck have they been this whole time?

I forgot about them :)

Pinkie_Pie_looking_at_Cheese_in_a_police

But songs are sometimes non-canon, I fear they were just here for Cheese Sandwich's song...

Edited by Blobulle

Bah, I tried skimming through the episode, but wasn't one of the filly's family members in the episode "Family Appreciation Day" a Police Officer? I don't remember.

However, while there may not seem to be any police, it does seem that they send out the Wonderbolts when shit hits the fan.

(edited)

I would assume that the Royal Guard has a branch for law enforcment. Not exactly police, but more a well-trained group of guards (think NSA) incredibly loyal to the Princess that have a center in each of the cities and towns.

Edited by that_cool_nerd_js

Despite the name of the Royal Guards, I have always thought of them foremost as the police of Canterlot with their duties pertaining to "protecting" the princesses as being a largely ceremonial thing, considering there's really nothing they could do to defend the princesses that they can't do themselves. Being the police of the capital city, their jurisdiction extends to all of Equestria but only in times of emergency to they exercise this authority. Any other time, local authorities, whatever form they may take, uphold the law.

At least that's my headcanon.