Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are bronies too harsh on new Fan-Fic writers?

Serious Sam

Just what the title says, it came to my mind while I lay in bed thinking one night. Yet when I go and read a story I think is very good, people always think it sucks to an un-believable extent, saying stuff like: 'Never write a damn thing again' or 'Why did you write this crap?'. So what do you think; are bronies harsh on new Fan-Fic writers?

Edited by Midnight-Inferno
  • Brohoof 1

Personally, I barely pay attention to bronies who say stuff like that.  Most of the time, I usually respond to the "detailed" comments, asking him or her opinion on the story and what should be added, altered, etc.  If they respond with something long and understanding, I take that under advisement.  People who just say, "What the hell is this" or "This is horrible", I just remove them, for they most likely "skimmed" through the story, without understanding its concept and meaning.  That's pretty much the way I see it. Happens to me sometimes when I write fan fics for Halo.

• Brohoof 2

I think in certain areas yes... but if your new to writing in general you may be in for it in the long run. I tried writing something for the first time like maybe 3,000 words or so not a long story. It got shot down in flames but hey it was a first go and you might realize from the criticism where it is you went wrong. Sometimes though I feel like some people are just out there to make you feel like complete crap about yourself.  

• Brohoof 1

Fimfic is the skidmark on the underpants of this whole fandom.

Seriously, that site sucks, and is full of elitist assholes who think that their stories are better than everyone else's on the site, although they pay no regard to existing canon or grammar.

No, I've never published a fanfic on that site, by the way.

I signed up, saw how stupid the community was, and went to fanfiction.net.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39

Fimfic is the skidmark on the underpants of this whole fandom.

Seriously, that site sucks, and is full of elitist assholes who think that their stories are better than everyone else's on the site, although they pay no regard to existing canon or grammar.

No, I've never published a fanfic on that site, by the way.

I signed up, saw how stupid the community was, and went to fanfiction.net.

I have to agree, 100%.  I was on that site a few months ago, and I was tempted to sign up, but after going through it, it was just bashing after bashing.  Sometimes I wonder why people are such jackasses towards someone who shows off his or her creativity. 

• Brohoof 2

Yes and no. Mainly yes. Simply because any fic that is deemed ''sucky'' or ''bad'' gets criticized to oblivion. Not completely, though. There are actually enough people on FiMFiction that still properly criticize ''bad'' stories. For the no part - a lot of new writers can't take the littlest bit of critiscism there, and remove every comment that's not a positive 10/10 IGN review. The jokes don't bother me to much, but when people tell ''bad'' writers to go fuck themselves for their shitty fic, NOT for their sometimes horrible attitude, I get a really sour taste in my mouth. Instead of insulting ''bad'' writers, how about you show your true writing skills by properly criticizing them?

Oh wait, internet.

• Brohoof 2

Yes and no. Mainly yes. Simply because any fic that is deemed ''sucky'' or ''bad'' gets criticized to oblivion. Not completely, though. There are actually enough people on FiMFiction that still properly criticize ''bad'' stories. For the no part - a lot of new writers can't take the littlest bit of critiscism there, and remove every comment that's not a positive 10/10 IGN review. The jokes don't bother me to much, but when people tell ''bad'' writers to go fuck themselves for their shitty fic, NOT for their sometimes horrible attitude, I get a really sour taste in my mouth. Instead of insulting ''bad'' writers, how about you show your true writing skills by properly criticizing them?

Oh wait, internet.

FiMFic, man -_-

Everyone there is an ass, I swear. The stories are bad, but the community is worse.

It's like being in a toy store with a 4-year old and an empty wallet >_> 

It's like 4Chan, but with fanfics.

I hate that site.

And I've never posted a story, and I've never left a review.

But it seems that everyone there falls under the bad category you listed, from my experience. Either needless, harsh, destructive criticism or overreactions to fair criticism. That site is cancerous >_>

Fanfiction.net is much, much better.

• Brohoof 3

@@ghostfacekiller39,Exacltey how much better is FanFiction.net than FIMFiction.net?  

The only problem I have is no constructive critcism. If your story is flawed, you'll get no reviews.

But I will say the community is a lot better. Fanfics are about of equal quality, though.

It's just that fimfic is so awful, it makes that site look god-like in comparison.

The only problem I have is no constructive critcism. If your story is flawed, you'll get no reviews.

But I will say the community is a lot better. Fanfics are about of equal quality, though.

It's just that fimfic is so awful, it makes that site look god-like in comparison.

Positive reviews on bad FiMFics are rare, but I do see them on about every one with at least 15+ dislikes, and only a few likes.

And some fanfics on there are actually good. Not a whole lot, but some are just amazing.

I'll be honest and say I was bad at writing and, well . . . I've gotten private messages from people saying "I should give up". As long as there's something good on the stories: characters, descriptions, concept, ect. It's all good. Mine was horrid. Just look at Kkat, that was his first MLP fanfiction and look how it turned out! One of the most legendary stories in the fandom (Fallout Equestria)! But, back to the topic. I say that they could be a bit nicer to those newbies. But, that's just me. A newer fanfic writer.

• Brohoof 1

I write for myself! XD I do post stories on FIMFiction, but it's just because I want my friends there to see them and read them. I don't care if they get bashed. I've had two comments, one on my first story and one on one of my more recent ones, that haven't been nice and I just ignored them. What other people say about my stuff doesn't matter to me. I thoroughly enjoy writing, and all I care about when I write is having a good time writing it.

((That said, I thought a story out in my head last night that actually made me cry...XD But I loved it at the same time.))

Anyway...that's my two bits on this subject. ya5la out. ^u^

I do some fan fics myself, and I dont think that bronys are too harsh on writers, more that we dont get noticed. If i post on this site (I dont particuralry like either fanfic sites mentioned above) then even though i do get a bunch of views, what i want is for people to comment and tell me what i need to do to make my storys better. I like posting on here though because for all of the mildly successful storys ive posted, there are the few facepalm why did i ever write that moments. but here noone talks bad about those problems. So, i just think bronies need to notice fanfic writers, because if you never read their work, they will never get the info they need to get better, and will be stuck with the same viscious circle.

• Brohoof 1

@,Yeah, I made this because of that.  My first Fan-fiction was called 'Journal of a Psychopath', and it just got bashed with hate, comments coming out as; 'That was horrible' or 'Do you even know how to write?'.  People like this is why I haven't worked on my in-progress fan-fics.

I've heard harsh stories of fim fiction writers getting ridiculed on fimfiction. And not even with constructive criticism. I'm okay if they have like constructive criticism but for out write saying the story is bad or poorly written without any back up is just straight up bull.

• Brohoof 1