Coco Pommel

How often do you wear fedoras?  

158 users have voted

1. 1. How often do you wear fedoras?

• Never
    • Rarely
    • Occassionally/frequently
    • All the time

*Sits in the corner under dim light, listening to some slow jazz and just being hard boiled*

:maud: You know, once upon a time, fedoras use to be the hat to have. It was the sign of a true man. A man who wears a suit to work every day. A man who is tough, but always looks professional and completely chill no matter what he does. And sometimes, it was also worn by only the classiest of ladies. The kind of worldly, yet stylish women who were class acts. Tough to a fault, would never be taken for a fool, takes pride and effort in how they look, but still has a heart of gold deep inside. The kind that were hard to come by.

To put in the words of meme, back in the day, one did not simply WEAR a fedora. It was a hat meant to be earned.

A fedora is flat brimmed. A TRILBYS brim folds up in the back and downward in the front. I dont think most people know the difference. Just throwin that out there?

... :confused: I'm sorry, but that's incorrect.

The difference between a Fedora and Trilby is the size of the brim and the material. "Real" Fedoras have a wide brim, which can be shaped into whatever style you prefer, including up in the back and flat in front if you want. They were made of some kind of Wool material most of the time, usually being 100% Wool. Trilbies are short brimmed, and for the most part, the brim is stuck in the style you purchased it in. You can try to shape the brim, but it will look awkward. Usually they're made out of a blend of materials; like wool, polyester, or cotton.

Funny thing. Some people say Trilbies are Fake Fedoras. Well if that's true, watch out for the Trilby Straw Hats. Most of those aren't even made of real straw. A good number of them are actually made of paper! Sweat in or stain those, and they're ruined forever. :comeatus:

Edited by Samurai Equine

I've worn various hats over the years but I've never owned a fedora.  I think they look a bit silly unless you're going for a very specific kind of look and commit to the whole thing.  I don't really understand *at all* where the "fedora-tipping" stereotype for nerds came from, though.  Sure, I've seen a couple pics here and there of 'neckbeard'-y types with fedoras but is it really a thing that's even remotely common?  It seems like one person one day just so happened to see two DIFFERENT PEOPLE that were overweight and had glasses and a fedora and made some kind of extreme straw-grasp of a connection...

I don't wear hats in general. Fedoras are more formal, yet people are wearing them in jeans and t-shirts. Some people like to brag how they look classy wearing them but you're not very classy with your casual clothes and (sometimes) greasy hair.

It might sound like I hate people who wear fedoras but not really, just people who think they're some classy intellectual because they wear a hat.

• Brohoof 1

I own 4 myself, I'll always pick one up as a souvenir if I go somewhere. The thing is though, that I hate wearing hats, I just like owning them :P

Haha nope. I don't like hats in general since they ruin my hair (uncomb it). Unless it's already been ruined, I'll wear a cal then :P.

I've never worn a fedora. :P The only hats I've ever worn are baseball caps, and I rarely wear those in the first place.

I can picture you with a baseball cap though :). Love you cutie :squee:.
  • Brohoof 2

*takes deep breath* EEEEVILLLLLLLLLLLLL

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEVILLLLLL

I am a member of a secret police organization who sets out to find the people who wear fedoras because my affiliation believes they are a sign of resistance and pure evil. 

Do not trust those who wear fedoras, they are evil. If you wear a fedora there is a 100% chance you are evil and need to be contained or else you will probably do evil things like kick puppies and squash butterflies. 

How to spot a Fedora-wearer

Look on their head, if you see a hat that gives off a very evil aura, you will know. Also look for pink and yellow spots on skin, primarily near the wrist, as this is a sign that they are definitely evil and skilled in doing the dark magics.

How to protect against Fedora-wearers

It has been discovered that the evil fedora wearers (mentioning again that all these people are indeed evil) are weak to spicy foods and also real fashion. You may never be prepared, but hopefully you will never have to face off against such an evil enemy.

Be prepared, be ready, they are many but if we work together they cannot win. Rest in knowing my team of secret anti-fedora police are watching them carefully and using our specially trained snail force to contain their evil at all times.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Fedoras are okay, but the trilby (the hat you see on the stereotypical neckbeard brony) is really lame. I dislike people who wear them to be more 'gentlemanly'. >_>

I kind of just consider those Hipster hats because the first person I ever saw in person wearing one was my old guitar teacher that's the living embodiment of it to the point of being in a local indie band. 

He's a 90s hipster though, really clean-cut and laid-back. Not the smelly, bearded kind. 

I don't know why more haven't hopped aboard the snapback train. I dream of a day where we can all slip on our fitted caps and snapbacks and live in harmony.

He's a 90s hipster though, really clean-cut and laid-back. Not the smelly, bearded kind. 

I want to meet a 90's hipster guy. I don't know any unfortunately but they seem like they'd be cool to hang out with and learn about all kinds of cool trivia about old and obscure bands and such.

• Brohoof 2

Used to wear one in middle school (6th grade) for a little bit. Then stopped.  I still don't understand the hatred for fedoras. Seems to me like another stupid bandwagon that insecure people join because hating on things makes them "cool".

• Brohoof 1

Fedoras are not my thing. Bucket hats though, they are so dope I can't believe it.

schoolboyq.jpg

post-26672-0-47260500-1413241749_thumb.jpg

Bucket hats are symbols of relaxedness, peace and innocence. They are also associated with youth, since they're often seen on children. 

But damn right though, if you want to wear a fedora, do it. I won't judge your character by what you put on your head.

Edited by RaveLow
  • Brohoof 1

Problem? I personally like fedoras. Deal with it. B)

I am not making fun or picking on you, but that picture displays my biggest pet peeve about guys wearing fedoras. It's too small on you! You don't wear them balanced on the top of your head. This is how you wear a fedora.

bogart_humprey_portrait_03_g_jpg_w_500.j

And this is how you wear a bowler.

std001_jpg_w_450.jpg