Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rainbow Dash's Cutie Mark

Frostgage

Okay, so something has been bothering me for a while. In Magical Mystery Cure, it was implied that Rainbow Dash's cutie mark/destiny related to controlling the weather, even though this is not true at all. Just skip to Rarity's portion of the song to see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft1rbnlYhYY

Did this anyone else notice this?

Edited by Frostgage

Well, here's something to consider - Rainbow Dash obtained her cutie mark after she hit a cloud and that initiated her Sonic Rainboom. And the key feature of controlling the weather is what they call "cloud busting" - what's to say that the first cloud Rainbow Dash "bust" isn't what brought her cutie mark about?

Of course, speed is a combined factor. I imagine that's why the rainbow lightning bolt is there. But that could make her cutie mark a fast weather cutie mark. She does take pride in being able to clear the sky in ten seconds flat, after all. And that's understandable, it's on her flank. :P

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 4

A lot of questions pop up when it comes to Rainbow Dash's cutie mark, but I think that Rainbow Dash earned her cutie mark once she was able to pull off the Sonic Rainboom at a young age and pegasi clear the skies by kicking clouds which could be why the cloud part is there.

The rainbow lightning bolt is probably there because, of how fast she can clear the clouds and her speed as well.

It needs little explanation: speed and weather both.

Everything looks faster with lightning bolts, I mean, who wouldn't want to charge their phone on this?

Lightning-Bolt-Power-Strip.jpg

Or take a package delivery from this?

DJarrett_08Truck.jpg

Edited by WindChaserPegasus

Oh-ho-ho. I've thought about this one. Buckle your seat belts, ladies and gents.

All the mane six have super vague butt marks. Most of the other ponies have something related to their jobs, right? But the mane six are defined (in the show) by their personalities. Their symbols represent who they are instead of what they do.  Rarity brings out the beauty in things, Fluttershy is gentle, and Applejack.... likes apples. 

Describe Dash's butt mark and then describe her, they'd be totally the same, right? They just kind of used weather as a concrete thing, but I don't think that's what it represents. 

EDIT: BOOYAH reply to end all replies.

Edited by RED20
  • Brohoof 2

A lot of questions pop up when it comes to Rainbow Dash's cutie mark, but I think that Rainbow Dash earned her cutie mark once she was able to pull off the Sonic Rainboom at a young age and pegasi clear the skies by kicking clouds which could be why the cloud part is there.

The rainbow lightning bolt is probably there because, of how fast she can clear the clouds and her speed as well.

I'm thinking the same thing........tbh, I was even trying to figure out how she got it.   Very strange.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's not like Rarity had any more hope of causing a sonic rainboom as she did at effectively controlling the weather. In fact, she'd probably have been worse.

Likewise, Rarity's talent is actually gem hunting, not dressmaking, but Applejack couldn't dobthat without being a unicorn herself, so she went to dressmaking. Badly.

• Brohoof 1

I like the theory that I heard pointed out that what really happened is that the girls were doing what they believed they had been doing their whole lives. The spell switched their cutie marks and their memories, but not their actual abilities, which is why they sucked at what they were doing.

Rarity says, "I'm doing what I've always done."

Also someone also pointed out (I wish I could remember the video) that another factor is that the girls are trying to emulate what they think being their friends entails.

Pinkie doesn't understand the satisfaction of accomplishing a hard day's work, all she sees is work and no play.

Career centered Rarity doesn't see Rainbow's love of speed, she sees Rainbow's job as a weather pony.

• Brohoof 2