Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Android vs iOS

Rarity Paige Belle

Unless a cooler phone comes out this year, when my contract is up later this year, I really really want this phone:

http://www.motorola.com/us/FLEXR1-1/Moto-X/FLEXR1.html

I think Verizon will have customizable options by that point... because I want to design my own with its own colors and whatnot.

Aaaaand this phone is assembled in the USA whereas many Apple products are assembled in an infamously dangerous sweatshop in China. Now I know that lots of things are made in China in sweatshops that would never be up to code in the US so Apple is far from being the only guilty party here, but it makes me wonder how humanist hipster liberal arts types justify themselves in buying Apple products?

I own both an iPhone and a Nexus 5 and honestly, I don't see the point arguing since they are extremely similar.

Calling, messaging, apps, calendar, maps, almost all the same features exists, and are controlled in much the same way.

It all boils down to simple differences, like iPhone is slightly more stable when it comes to crashes, and android is more customizable.

My vote goes to android mostly because I like the Google's ecosystem more than Apple's.

Only a fan boy will say they are vastly different, and of course in their phones advantage.

While they may not seem vastly different at face, they are not as similar as you seem to think they are.

What do you expect? How different do you expect maps and calendars to be? I don't see how comparing the simple, stock applications is a good way to decide whether or not operating systems are "extremely similar."

The stability of an OS, how extensive personalization options are, and the ability to tinker seem like much more than "simple differences" to me.

I can see how, to the average end user, they look and seem very, very similar(especially with iOS 7, which I have not used a whole lot, but have been told functions and looks a lot more like Android's UI), but that doesn't mean they are. They are entirely different operating systems that have different software offered, features, and communities.

As a sidenote, it's not very compelling when you say "only (derogative word here) will say something contradictory to what I think."

I hope that my opinion counts for a bit more by having ready access to a number of devices for work.

I have a work iPhone, I often test on Android, and my personal phone is a Windows Phone.

iPhones seem to have a very smooth, consistent user experience, but it's often a bit slow to do certain tasks related to text editing (involves tapping a number of times in a very particular way to edit some part of a URL), opening certain tasks in certain apps, etc.

Android is very hit or miss. Just knowing you're getting an Android phone is not enough information to tell you you're not getting a miserable experience in a metal shell. Many of them have a pretty poor hack of a user interface; others like the Samsung Galaxy are very smooth, and deserve their place as iPhone competitors.

Unfortunately, Android is no longer as "open-source" as it suggests. The base operating system is, and always has been, open-source. But, in order to make an Android device worth selling it all, it needs the Google Play store. That is a part of "Google Web Services". Including that whole package imposes a restriction on the way you can sell your device, AND mandates that your company cannot sell any non-GWS Android devices. Some of the very few companies to take this path are Amazon and Ouya.

(Most of that is off the top of my head, so I apologize if any part of that information is off - if you're interested, you're free to do your own research)

My own phone is a Windows Phone, and I very much like it. Having the experience just a little bit "locked-down" as compared to Android has its benefits, actually. For instance, no more than a certain number of apps can be in the background draining my battery at any time, and their capabilities are very restricted. It's also very easy to find and disable the ones that you don't want to be in the background. It's also about to get its own "AI assistant" like the other phones. Time will tell how it compares to them, as those features often seem great in demos, then impractical in use. (Windows Phone already has voice control, and it's useful if you know the specific task very well, but it's not super-predictive)

• Brohoof 2

While they may not seem vastly different at face, they are not as similar as you seem to think they are.

What do you expect? How different do you expect maps and calendars to be? I don't see how comparing the simple, stock applications is a good way to decide whether or not operating systems are "extremely similar."

The stability of an OS, how extensive personalization options are, and the ability to tinker seem like much more than "simple differences" to me.

I can see how, to the average end user, they look and seem very, very similar(especially with iOS 7, which I have not used a whole lot, but have been told functions and looks a lot more like Android's UI), but that doesn't mean they are. They are entirely different operating systems that have different software offered, features, and communities.

As a sidenote, it's not very compelling when you say "only (derogative word here) will say something contradictory to what I think."

I'm at work, will answer properly at home.

But I'd like to hear some examples of differences