Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When are ponies names?

Lighthope

When are ponies named by their parents?  At birth?  A few months when their personalities start to develop?  Do they go before the Chief Elder and have the child named by him? (Dinosaurs reference.  Funny show.  Look it up.)

I mean, it can't possibly be at birth.  What would possess a parent to name their child "Snails"?  And what would happen if Apple Jack actually preferred oranges?  Or Rainbow Dash couldn't fly?

What is the consensus on naming?

Pearls of Wisdom - Commandment VII: You shall not commit adultery.

• Brohoof 1

Well, I don't know which could be the canon explanation but I'd say there's no explanation at all. I mean, you're right, how could Fluttershy's parents know that she'd be so shy? It is easier to say why Pumpkin and Pound Cake were named like that. Also, silvadel has a point up there, these babies were named at birth, considering everypony is named at birth, I guess there is no explanation and Lauren Faust just wanted to name them like that to go with their personalities (basing some of them on previous generations names, and refering to the mane 6 only).

Well I don't think there are any kind of elder ponies. Seeing that we have not seen one. 

Kind like everyone's been saying, Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake, were already given names when they were born and there's no proof right now saying that they well become backers. It could be parents just name there kids hoping they well become something that want them to become, or good at, or maybe they just have a feeling. 

The name thing is something I don't feel can be answered and should probably should not be looked at to close.