What philosophies do you live by (or try to live by)?

Adachi

I'm an Egalitarian/Marxist in the way that I believe that everyone should have equal opportunity, regardless of race, gender, creed or wealth. I'm also a Liberal (Libertarian for you Americans). I believe that if someone wants to do something which has no negative impact on anyone else, they should be able to do it.

I'm a vegetarian as we don't need to eat meat to survive, therefore by killing animals for food in this day and age is pretty much the same as killing for pleasure (in the way that it is only because you like the taste of the meat and not because of the fact that you need to survive) making it a pretty messed up thing to do. I'm an environmentalist.

I'm a pacifist as I believe that war is ever really the only option.

Finally, love and tolerate :)

• Brohoof 2

These are the beliefs I follow.

1. Find what the talent you love in love. Develop it to levels as far as you can, as best as you can, and never give in when obstacles get in the way.

2. Persevere through life's obstacles for while not everyone suffers the same as others, but we all suffer through life's trials. Never give in when life and your situation turns against you. Work hard and especially keep a cool smile and you shall see a brighter tomorrow.

3. Strive for perfection as much as you can. The best way a person can achieve happiness is if he seeks to make himself the best person he can be through whatever means necessary.

4. Strive to be good and to do what is right for all parties involved. Ensure that others around you achieve certain degrees of happiness if they deserve it. Seeing those people achieve happiness shall help you become a better person in many ways.

5. If you see a person attempt to deliberately harm a person through any means necessary, seek out to stop that person. No one should be allowed to take pleasure in a person's suffering, thus put an end to it however you can and ensure the assailed party is in safe condition and is comforted from the assault of any manner.

6. Remember to accept criticism with a ready mind and to seek improvement through the critique's specifications. This falls in line with achieving the best you can be, thus you must be willing to accept criticism as a means of improvement for yourself.

7. Be prepared to face life's challenges. Nothing in life can be improved if you're not tempered by whatever life throws at you.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

i try to live my life to the absolute fullest.

i guess you could say that when i die tomorrow, i don't want to die with any regret that i didn't do or try something. 

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 1

My OC's: Roarke, Repsol and Crystal  

1) Love and Tolerate the beliefs, opinions, and actions of others.1

2) Your perspective is always flawed. Understanding others' perspectives can help fix this.

3) Forgive, not because they deserve forgiveness, but because you deserve peace.2

4) Humor is justifiable only if it brings happiness than emotional harm.3

5) It's always better to be kind than right.4

6) It is fine to doubt your beliefs, but doubt your doubts first.5

7) Everyone is redeemable.6

There are mah thoughts on the matter of life. :3 Whaddya think?

Edited by The Late Night Shine
  • Brohoof 1

1, 10 and 13 are positively disagreeable, though the other points might be different, those three were the ones that actually really mattered.

Maybe it isn't such a good idea to listen to somebody that was kicked in the face for most of his life, I don't know

I think what Bruce Lee meant by "The More we value things, the less we value ourselves.”, was that the more one values material objects, the less we value, as he says, "ourselves", ourselves being oneself and those around said person. Though, that may be how I see it; others will view it differently.

• Brohoof 2

applejack_signature_by_vexx3-d4vrdf5.jpg

I think what Bruce Lee meant by "The More we value things, the less we value ourselves.”, was that the more one values material objects, the less we value, as he says, "ourselves", ourselves being oneself and those around said person. Though, that may be how I see it; others will view it differently.

I didn't plan to go too deep into this, but let it be marked that I think that valuing oneself is a prerequisite to valuing other things.

A person that does not value themselves cannot value anything or anyone. Think of it like this... a value constitutes a binding between an object or concept and your value judgement - you evaluate by a certain standard (something with which to tie all your decisions together), and choose your values in accordance to it. The moment you choose something as your value, it becomes your value. The values which you choose are a projection of your self: they are the result and the sum of your fundamental, personal convictions. To not value yourself and your ability to evaluate is a contradiction in terms therefore.

If you're still with me, then let me make another thing a bit clearer: There exists an infective thought which goes something like this: "dabbling with material goods and values is distracting us from what is important: love, beauty, soul, I could go down the line..".

It is the idea that there are different sets of values in dichotomous arrangement. It is the idea that some values are part of ourselves, and some aren't - the idea that not our ability to evaluate is good, but only what we choose to value, is.

While it is true that there is a hierarchy of values, this isn't the order that values take. The only important distinction of values is between "life" and "everything else". Once you recognize that without life, there are no values, then you can fill the rest of the pyramid yourself. With "hierarchy of values", strictly speaking, I mean something to apply to decisions which are more complex than "yes/no". For instance, the construction of a building: The order in which things are erected or applied is strictly following the hierarchy of values. You want something which harbours hundreds of offices over multiple storeys and a nice view on the town. You can have no windows without first having the concrete to frame them. You can't have a looming tower of concrete without girders of steel to support it. Somewhere at the bottom the colour or accessories, and at the top, the fundament.

If you invert this hierarchy, you'll end up with something like a dozen-odd desks on a puddle of green paint.

When I see people devoted to something, I think first "their ability to value something freely and by own volition made this possible", and only secondly, "oh my god, what a nerd". To others, it is the inverse.

Why?

Because, according to me, "the ability to value is the source of all values". It is therefore a higher value in the hierarchy, without which values could not be possible. It doesn't mean I approve of the mindless obsession over say, paperclips or sacrificing goats or something, but I wholly disapprove of compulsory values. Where ever there is a value, there is the implicit question: "of value to whom? and why?". Choice is implicit in values. Whenever there are no alternatives, there exist no values. Compulsory value is therefore a contradiction in terms, and like the leper's bell of the depraved person.

Treat all human beings with the respect human beings deserve.

Even if I disagree with you on something, as long as you treat me with respect, I will do the same for you.

Do not group me in with the other people that have disagreed with you and then hurt you because of it. I will not do that. My differing opinion does not automatically make me a threat. I will say that I think you're wrong, but that will be it. I will still be cordial and respectful.

• Brohoof 2

Signature_Forums.png.dd2a654d7faa42c09ea06c44865a3c2a.png

Check out my artwork any time: http://shadobabe.deviantart.com/
"OMG; You are such a troll. XD" - PathfinderCS

I don't know to be precisely, even though I highly agree with existentialism.

But I try to be the best person I can everyday and do my best, accept things as they are and work with what I have instead of being unhappy of what I don't have, move on with my life despite all the guilt and just be who I am and do what I love to do and learn from my mistakes, no matter how bad and miserable they are.

• Brohoof 1

Life never ends: When I die, my consciousness will end and my body will break apart, but in my death I will sustain the beings that feed on the corpse. I will live on in the worms that eat me, the birds that eat the worms, and in the predators of the birds. I will give nutrients to the trees and grass, broken down smaller and smaller, just as everything I have consumed has become a part of me. Life is a sum of other lives, thus it never ends, it simply cycles. Death is not to be feared, it is simply the next step in the cycle.

You have one chance, use it: This body and mind only have one shot at life, I may as well get my money's worth before moving on. I will not seek to live too long merely for the sake of living, but I will not seek an early grave.

Don't complain until you've tried to do something about it: Pretty self explanatory. If something has gone wrong, don't complain until you've either taken steps to help the situation or asked for help in doing so.

Always do what seems best: Philosophies change as life progresses, but no matter what, do what seems best. I seek to have no regrets, not because I did nothing regrettable, but because I did the absolute best possible in a given situation. If I mes up, I will learn from it and be able to apply that lesson, but I will not linger when it does me no good. The past can't be fixed, so seek to grow and do better, always moving forward.

post-19519-0-48643400-1400482384.png
Keep flyin'

I live by one, all-encompassing philosophy:

Nothing is absolute, everything can change. Come hell or high water.

I apply this to my everything from my views on society to my views of the universe and even my own behaviors.

1. Why not? 2. Are happiness and usefulness/compassion mutually exclusive? 3. Difference to whom?

Sorry for the delayed response. Dental surgery ... fun stuff.

I should have qualified my list with stating that these are (some) of my personal philosophies and I the ones that I try to live my life by. I in no way think that anyone should ever subscribe to my world view or internal musings. In short, I am not saying that my outlined philosophies are how you or anyone else should live their life. Now to your questions.

Why not? - in response to the purpose of life isn't to be happy -  Emerson was a strange man in many ways. What he meant by this can be interpreted many ways, but how I take it and what I apply it to is this: Happiness is never my goal I set out for. For me, doing that is a gateway to selfishness. Compassion and practical living within a civil society is important to me. Happiness is often a byproduct and not the motivation. I also love this quote since the usefulness aspect is applicable to natural selection, and Emerson was nothing if not versatile with his words. 

Are happiness and usefulness/compassion mutually exclusive? - They can be. It's easy to be addicted to the warm fuzzies you get helping others. This raises some interesting questions regarding altruism and motivation. If someone loves the feeling they get from being helpful and compassionate then how much of the motivation is selfless? Is compassion (not empathy) still an altruistic act? Even if it isn't, is pure altruism with no emotional connection or (sigh) ROI make the act less 'human' by devaluing the personal connection? 

I am not saying I agree with those questions, but I love pondering why we as individuals act, and what our motivations say about us.  

Difference to whom? - Oh boy is this the elephant in the room of philosophy. Again I am going to answer through my own personal filter. Our lives on this planet are fleeting. The HUGE majority of the 113 billion or so that have walked this Earth are forgotten, so the chances that I discover or create something that will echo through the ages is pretty low. HOWEVER ... that doesn't mean my existence is meaningless or has no significance. The most immediate impact we have is through our interpersonal connections. Our family and friends. That is how we start to leave an impact while we live, and after we are gone.  

Also, take for instance the creative aspects of the Brony Community. Much of the fiction and music is amazing for fandom inspired elements, but even the great BronyDanceParty and Living Tombstone did not create in a vacuum. Writing, composing, creation, are temporal collaborations. Everything we see and experience influences us. If we create something one day, it is based on something we have experienced. Our influences have influences, and this makes what we say and do a way for the ghosts of societies and individuals long gone to continue to be meaningful. What we do now, will in some small way, shape the future. Even if our names are forgotten.

Difference to whom? To everything around you.

Edited by Jeric

1.  Never lose your self-confidence. No matter what you're going through, you aren't the only one. There are people who have probably been through the same problem as you and are still able to hold their own enough to talk about it.
  2. Keep your fists down. There is nothing in this world that's worth breaking bones or ending a life over.
  3. Keep your ears open only for the right words. People in life will tell you problems they think you have. This is inevitable. Many people shut down and ignore words that may seem harsh that are directed at them, myself included at times. But it's important to listen to the words that actually want to help you, and actually CAN. This in mind, even those closest to you can try tearing you down to make you rise. This doesn't work. Don't be afraid to turn these bits of advice down (though I'd recommend you keep ignoring them to yourself).
  4. It's okay to distance yourself from people you haven't met. There are people out there who just have "that" vibe to them. Perhaps they're talking to their friends about smoking weed or making rape jokes. You don't have to get close to them, try and understand them better. You have no obligation to do so. Don't make anyone tell you otherwise.
  5. Just because they make your words sound stupid, doesn't mean said words are. It's easy for people to take your words and throw them back at you as though you're being irrational, and make you question your words. This happens to me all the time, and has made so many things end on very unsatisfying notes. Don't lose your stance on something just because they make it sound like it isn't a stance worth having. Because in many cases, it still is.

These are just a few of the ones I'm aware I follow. I'm not good with any of them, but I at least try, y'know?

• Brohoof 1

post-18790-0-43077600-1386688258.png
Awesome signature made by Tromino.

My OC: http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/pitch-light-r4599

Want to join a romantic crossover RP to celebrate the Month of Love?: http://mlpforums.com/topic/86811-the-multiversal-matchmaking-corner-romance/

Everything is not always as it seems

Love yourself first before loving other people

Be realistic (not optimistic, not pessimistic, realistic)

To each his own as long as they're not hurting you, someone else, or themselves and as You are not hurting them, someone else, or yourself

Revenge does not solve anything and if anything it causes chaos

Just because you're breathing doesn't mean you're alive

Don't judge a book by it's cover

BALANCE is the key for most scenarios without balance we have chaos

7951430_orig.jpg

XD Always be Fabulous and love your friends ^-^    :D :huh::wacko: :) :yay: :wub:      

Sorry for the delayed response. Dental surgery ... fun stuff.

Why not? - in response to the purpose of life isn't to be happy -  Emerson was a strange man in many ways. What he meant by this can be interpreted many ways, but how I take it and what I apply it to is this: Happiness is never my goal I set out for. For me, doing that is a gateway to selfishness. Compassion and practical living within a civil society is important to me. Happiness is often a byproduct and not the motivation. I also love this quote since the usefulness aspect is applicable to natural selection, and Emerson was nothing if not versatile with his words. 

Don't worry about it.

So basically you're saying: You can't be really (morally) happy unless you're unselfishly happy.

You reply to this contradiction beautifully below, if I may say:

If someone loves the feeling they get from being helpful and compassionate then how much of the motivation is selfless? Is compassion (not empathy) still an altruistic act?

And whenever faced with a contradiction, review your premises.

The premise that altruism is good must be therefore wrong. Do we agree?

Now, let me explain: Happiness is your own, personal reward for achievement.

The fact that you and I get happy over different things can only mean that your personal happiness is directly integrated in your personal values.

If your personal value is to be a charity worker, then by doing charity work, you achieve your values, and happiness is the reward.

If there would be no such reward, you would have nothing to win or to lose. It'd be absolutely ghastly. (It's not good)

I know why people try to circumvent selfish happiness. They can't wrap their heads around the fact that happiness is selfish by default.

But we already established that selfishness is bad, mkay?

Again: we face a contradiction. Happiness is good. Selfishness is bad. But happiness is selfish.

Therefore the premise that selfishness is bad, must be wrong.

But if selfishness is encouraged, we'd face decadence, worldwide depredations and anarchy!

Good point. The thing about selfishness is, that you can be rationally selfish.

Selfishness is to act in accordance to your values, and with the goal to achieve them.

If you put stock in pilferage, murder and slavery, you're not being rationally selfish.

The system that allows us to be rationally selfish in the first place does not condone the initiation of force.

Rational selfishness is only possible when your achieved values are not for others to be claimed. That includes your life, property and freedom.

Bottom line, you can be constructively selfish, or destructively selfish. This idea is completely alien and often unacceptable to people, because I don't even know. They probably eat their cake unselfishly, I guess.

Our lives on this planet are fleeting. The HUGE majority of the 113 billion or so that have walked this Earth are forgotten, so the chances that I discover or create something that will echo through the ages is pretty low. HOWEVER ... that doesn't mean my existence is meaningless or has no significance. The most immediate impact we have is through our interpersonal connections. Our family and friends. That is how we start to leave an impact while we live, and after we are gone.  

Difference to whom? To everything around you.

Yeah they are

I think the response to this fact is two-, perhaps threefold.

One faction says "I'm going to die, so I'll enjoy life while I can"

The other says "I'm going to leave my mark on this planet for reasons I'm not too sure about"

And others don't even think they're going to be dead permanently.

If you recall some of the above, a little addendum: we can have values because we're alive. Life is the source of all values.

When you are dead, you cannot have any values anymore, but that doesn't mean you can't insure that your tombstone has a witty epitaph and that your grandchildren will profit from your death monetarily, or your body goes to scientific research, and so on.

A question: Why do you care for what happens after you die? Except for the off-chance that you might have an afterlife?

An anwer: Well, it doesn't really cost me much, and the current generation profited from *their* dying grandparents, as did science. It's a virtually costless tradition that is actually constructive. Except for the tombstone business, or tombstones at all.

Graveyards are not a profitable business. You can't invest in graveyards.

And people keep dying.

God help them, they keep dying. The graveyards are getting fuller and fuller because everyone wants their witty epitaph to shine through the forsaken stone forests. The maintenance has to be paid, the gardening has to be paid, the caretaking and paperwork, all for a non-profitable business. All hobbed upon the tax-payer.

Moving on from this transgression, I think the whole deal about "making a difference" is the burnishing of your regular trophies with a different shine. The difference you made lies within the things you wanted to do. Did you want to do them to make a difference, or did you make a difference by wanting to do them? 

I ought think you can now tell by yourself in which directions things traverse.

In summary, it can be put to record that you will not be here to revel in your fame post-mortem, nor will you be there to enjoy being extolled. But: if your values extend just a little beyond the grave, then you can die happy knowing that you achieved them by dying.

And that's just how it is.

EDIT :

I forgot the other thing I stressed visually in the quote.

Uhm

well, your life gives itself meaning. To not exist means to have no meaning - To exist means to exist, but "meaning" is tantamount to "purpose", and unless you think (and can even show me) that you are the product of purpose, then there is no inherent meaning in your existence.

That is why I say life gives itself meaning. It means something to *you*. Your life is not meaningful and valuable because god or the universe make it so. It's a value to you, and the purpose it serves is as a vehicle to the achievement of other values.

So much as to the meaning of life. It's a really simple question - but people have different expectations of the answer depending on their fundamental convictions.

Edited by Milky Jade

As a raised Catholic (now agnostic) I generally have lived by "Love your neighbour".

However, as someone who's actually lived in the real world, I feel there should be exceptions.

1)  If someone is consistently a prick to you and/or others, they should be forced to stop being a prick - in whatever way is necessary.

2)  The law needs to bend ins special cases - or have those special cases already outlined for if they arise

3)  I believe that if someone breaks into your home, and attempts to rob or harm you, if you kill them in defence, that's fair.

4)  If you are assaulted and you injure your attacker to the stage that he can't fight back, he shoudl not be able to sue you.

tl;dr    Be nice - but deal harshly with those that try to break the peace, no matter who they are - leaders, protected ethnic groups, whatever. If you're an asshole, you're an asshole. That's it.

Vh9PDd9.png

I hope some people get the joke ^^

Moderation goes a long way.

Act how you want to be treated, but don't be a doormat.

Keep your word.

Give something back from time to time.

Learn from your mistakes and more from your regrets.

Mind your own business and take responsibility for your actions be them good or bad.

Learn the difference between insult and criticism.

Don't hate others for who they are.

That's about it really.

I can neither confirm nor deny myself being the cause of electrical related malfunctions. Anyways, you wouldn't happen to have a jar of replacement magic smoke would you?

I'm an individualist, I work with the individual instead of the group. because the group sux

So I'm against the mainstream stuff, and mostly uniforms. (these shizz)

So well, I respect every individuals, I'm kind with everyone, etc. I mostly help the underdog fit in the group, because the group sux so they find friends.

Just found the tenets of Novus Spiritus, and needless to say, I am adopting them. They seem perfectly reasonable,encourage people to be kind to each other, and take away the fear of death :D

http://www.novus.org/home/tenets.cfm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.” — Mark Twain

@Milky Jade

"I am Jack's exploding brain."

My thoughts on this topic, and your posts in particular are this: after wading through social media comments that make me lose faith in our species, the spirit of the Lyceum showing up in this thread changes that.

Good posts