Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rarity is British!

Rarity Paige Belle

I wouldn't say Rarity is ashamed of her background, but she is embarrassed of her parents and that combined with her obsession for the finer things in life made her decide to take on an upper-classian accent.

• Brohoof 1

It seems to me that Rarity is just imitating Canterlot accents. In Sweet and Elite and Best Night Ever the Canterlot ponies have fancy accents. She wants to seem Equestria upper class and figures that is the way to do it. I see how people would think of it as a British accent. I wouldn't know if it is or not. 

I wouldn't say Rarity is ashamed of her background, but she is embarrassed of her parents and that combined with her obsession for the finer things in life made her decide to take on an upper-classian accent.

Yeah she just seems embarrassed by her parents. 

Pipsqueak comes from Trottingham, which is a play on Nottingham. Now NO one from Nottingham has that kind of accent!

Why does England have so many accents pick one!

• Brohoof 1

I've always believed that Rarity is or at the least aspires to be British, let me give you a few reasons:

•She's appears ashamed of her origins.

No American would be.

•She actively changed her accent to sound middle class. Again, something only a Brit would do.

• Her accent. Some say it's transatlantic, but as someone who has lived in one of the trendiest areas of London, Hampstead, you hear her accent all the time in the coffee shops and boutiques

•and finally...attachicon.gif900e625493a9a03beeb357798cc10f2d-d4u7pw2.png

I would really like a Brit to back me up on this!

Couldn't get support for this in the Rarity Fan Club thread, so you decided to make a your own thread, eh? :D

You should add that she really likes tea. What could be more British than tea? And cucumber sandwiches.

Edited by SolarFox

Why does England have so many accents pick one!

Same reason why The US has so many accents, I suppose.

I do find it strange that someone from west Lonson (me) has a noticeably different accent than someone from somewhere like Romford in east London even though its only 20 miles away!

Couldn't get support for this in the Rarity Fan Club thread, so you decided to make a your own thread, eh? :D

You should add that she really likes tea. What could be more British than tea? And cucumber sandwiches.

Being as I am the only Brit who makes posts on the fan club, I think that gives me a little bit more authority to say whether or not Rarity sounds and acts British!

• Brohoof 1

Being as I am the only Brit who makes posts on the fan club, I think that gives me a little bit more authority to say whether or not Rarity sounds and acts British!

Perhaps, but it also makes you more likely to falsely attribute Britishness to her so that you can make her seem more relateable to you. Just saying. :D

Edited by SolarFox

• 2 years later...

I'm British and lived in London al my life but - as much as I want to say Rarity is British and how cool it'd be to have a Brit in the Mane Six - I regrettably have to assert that she does indeed speak in a Transatlantic accent that is most certainly not British through-and-through.  :please:  Frankly, I don't see the point in this 'transatlantic' accent.  Just pick a side already...

Nah, I don't think she's British. I live in England myself, and trust me, not all of us sound all posh and stuff (hell, I've been told I sound American from time to time). And since when has Rarity been ashamed of her origins? It IS a plausible theory though, I'll give it that.

Edited by OmegaBeamOfficial

Moving this to Show Discussion; considering it is a character topic. :)

• Brohoof 2

i don't wanna burst your bubble.. but her parents don't have an accent, well they sound like they're from Boston, idk how she could have picked up her accent.

they were going on vacation, so maybe they spent some time in Europe, or the pony equivalent, while Rarity was young n she picked up on it early enough to like that accent and make herself sound that way and because she did it early enough it stuck.

Like you said she is embarrassed of where she comes from, she probably wanted to sound more high class than her parents so she altered the way she speaks.

The mid-Atlantic accent is possessed by both American and British people. It's a variation of the Received Pronunciation accent that was developed by the BBC to be heard clearly across radio broadcasts way back when radio was... rather difficult to understand due to it being early technology at the time and a bit fuzzy. Many British University students adopted it as a way to even out regional accents and set themselves apart from the masses. In the 20's and 30's, due to the number of wealthy Americans attending Cambridge and Oxford universities, the mid-Atlantic variation evolved out the RP accent and was considered to be a mark of 'being widely travelled' and posh. Because of that it was broadcast pretty widely with BBC Dramas and American movies (as with Hepburn), which reinforced it's existence as a generic posh accent and it propagated to wide sections of both countries. Eventually it's reached the point that the accent is 'real' and not put on, as there are many people now who speak like that naturally.

• Brohoof 1

•She's appears ashamed of her origins. No American would be.

I'm American and I'm ashamed of it. Well, ashamed is kind of a strong word, but I am definitely not proud of it. I actually more proud of my family heritage, which ironically is British (specifically Scottish)

Her accent seems to my like more of an Atlantic accent, which can sound a little British sometime, but is not quite the same as a British accent. This actually makes a lot of sense because it was kind of associated with high class people and actors/entertainers, and Rarities interest in fashion and the high life makes it a great choice for her accent.

Edited by El Duderino

If Rarity was British, I think the folks at DHX would've given Sweetie Belle, Hondo Flanks and Cookie Crumbles British accents. Rarity's father would probably have a different name and a different Cutie Mark, too.

That being said, if Rarity and her family were from Trottingham, her parents would probably be from oop north. Marechester, perhaps?

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

I sort of always felt Rarity has the southern belle accent. Since Hasbro has not confirmed Rarity to be from Trottingham which is the only "British" area in the show and her parents have been shown to not have British descent, I think it's pretty clear she is not British.

i wouldn't say British she sounds like a South African or an Australian with a really received (posh) accent 

I sort of always felt Rarity has the southern belle accent. Since Hasbro has not confirmed Rarity to be from Trottingham which is the only "British" area in the show and her parents have been shown to not have British descent, I think it's pretty clear she is not British.

there actually is a Pony UK in the show if you look on the official map there's a small island in between Equestria and the Griffonkingdom called "The Trottish isles" i cant find any wiki entry on it, it may be the Griffish isles its a bit hard to read 

Edit: i just found a more clear picture its called "The Grittish isles" 

Edited by idunnomaybe
  • Brohoof 1

Heh, I like your reasoning behind why she'd be ashamed of her origins. :P

I've never noticed her being ashamed of her origins. Where have you noticed that? She always seemed fine with them to me. In the Cutie Mark Chronicles she didn't seem particularly fussed about wherever she came from, and I noticed nothing from when her parents stopped by in Sisterhooves Social.

Changing your accent to middle class isn't necessarily exclusive to the Brits. It depends on the areas you grow up in from personal experience - live in Kensington or Knightsbridge and you'll most likely end up with that accent as opposed to your average Peckham/Brixton inhabitant. (No offence to anyone who lives in Peckham or Brixton, I'm sure you're quite lovely.)

In fact, the only really British thing I've seen Rarity do is enjoy a cup of tea. The rest of her seems France-influenced, mostly the brunt of her fashion enthusiasm. Then again, I've not looked too in-depth into Rarity, so I might be overlooking a few things ^^

But most France girls wear simple ,unlike what Rarity usually wears xD

Just saying yadda yadda yadda "Smashing!" and "Darling" I've never heard those two words used anywhere but the UK. Ashamed, but also somewhat proud, that's what makes Rarity my fav (and somewhat attractive) , just because of the way she says certain things