Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Dr. Wolf's account terminated? SPREAD THE WORD!

Moved to Elsewhere

So apparently, brony reviewer Dr. Wolf's account was terminated supposedly for copyright which doesn't make since since his reviews consisted of using images and not actual footage. I've also heard it was taken down due to suspicious activity and if that's the case then it was most likely a false flagging troll. I could go on a rant about false flaggers but I'm not here for that, I'm here to spread the word about Dr. Wolf. 

Now SPREAD THE WORD!

• Brohoof 9

I have no idea who Dr. Wolf is but either way I'm not surprised.

He was a brony reviewer who reviewed mlp episodes like most did. His account was stupidly taken down even though he admittedly didn't do anything wrong.

That's actually tame compared to other reviewers who actually use footage from the show.

I know, but I'm just saying I would've expected it. I mean I think animations and fan games getting a C&D is unfair since the animation is all their work, they're just using copyrighted characters.

• Brohoof 1

They were images with copyrighted characters in it. Of course it was gonna get taken down.

copyright rules state that you are allowed to show images, 30 seconds of film, or show video while voicing over it if you are criticing it. Dr.wolf did just that. Showed images to critic it. If that was the reason it was taken down, then that would actually be against the law itself.

Also, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXKE6oznz60

• Brohoof 1

I think animations and fan games getting a C&D is unfair since the animation is all their work, they're just using copyrighted characters.

Excuse me, but did you actually read your sentence? How can it be unfair to issue a C&D when Hasbro owns the rights to the characters someone else decided to just take and use WITHOUT PERMISSION? I'm sorry, but this rapidly spreading attitude of "I like the fan animation, that means Hasbro is evil to try protecting their legal rights." is foolish. As for Dr. Wolf, I never heard of him. How do you know his account being shut down is even pony related? Maybe he uploaded some other video that earned him a termination. 

• Brohoof 6

Excuse me, but did you actually read your sentence? How can it be unfair to issue a C&D when Hasbro owns the rights to the characters someone else decided to just take and use WITHOUT PERMISSION? I'm sorry, but this rapidly spreading attitude of "I like the fan animation, that means Hasbro is evil to try protecting their legal rights." is foolish. As for Dr. Wolf, I never heard of him. How do you know his account being shut down is even pony related? Maybe he uploaded some other video that earned him a termination. 

he posted it on his devientart page of what happened. He had no copyright strikes or anything. He just got a message from google telling him his account was terminated for suspisous activity. He had no warnings or anything yet

• Brohoof 1

I don't think Hasbro is evil, I actually defend them when people complain about videos getting taken down. I just think if it's fair use and no money is being made off of it, it should be fine. I've never seen this problem with other fandom I've been in.

Then again, feel free to yell at me. I know nothing of copyright laws, I'm just a guy voicing his opinions on the internet.

I'm also assuming it got taken down because of something pony related because it was posted on a pony forum. But again I've never heard of the guy so I don't know.

he posted it on his devientart page of what happened. He had no copyright strikes or anything. He just got a message from google telling him his account was terminated for suspisous activity. He had no warnings or anything yet

Suspicious activity doesn't mean copyright infringement. It could mean anything, up to and including someone hacking the account. The whole "Hasbro is evil for not letting bronies do whatever they want with Hasbro's copyrighted work" thing is getting old. I hate to say it, but they'd actually be well within their legal rights to shut this forum down.

• Brohoof 7

Suspicious activity doesn't mean copyright infringement. It could mean anything, up to and including someone hacking the account. The whole "Hasbro is evil for not letting bronies do whatever they want with Hasbro's copyrighted work" thing is getting old. I hate to say it, but they'd actually be well within their legal rights to shut this forum down.

I never said hasbro was evil. Why would they be?

(edited)

I don't think Hasbro is evil, I actually defend them when people complain about videos getting taken down. I just think if it's fair use and no money is being made off of it, it should be fine. I've never seen this problem with other fandom I've been in.

Then again, feel free to yell at me. I know nothing of copyright laws, I'm just a guy voicing his opinions on the internet.

I'm also assuming it got taken down because of something pony related because it was posted on a pony forum. But again I've never heard of the guy so I don't know.

I didn't see your post until after I posted my last one. Like I said, suspicious activity doesn't mean copyright infringement.

I never said hasbro was evil. Why would they be?

As you no doubt actually know, I was speaking of the fandom in general. I didn't say YOU said Hasbro is evil.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I didn't see your post until after I posted my last one. Like I said, suspicious activity doesn't mean copyright infringement.

As you no doubt actually know, I was speaking of the fandom in general. I didn't say YOU said Hasbro is evil.

I've honestly never seen someone ay hasbro was evil in this fandom. I mean granted I've only been a brony for about 5 weeks and on this forum for 4 days.

Wow...Of all the MLP analysts that I watch, DRWolf would have been the one I least expected to have his account shut down. He seems to use very little copyrighted material in his vids compared to others.

I hope he manages to get it sorted out, and get his account back up.

• Brohoof 5

I really enjoyed Dr Wolf's videos, and it's a shame that his account was shut down. I can only hope that this is temporary, and that it was just a misunderstanding or hacking attempt.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm actually currently in a legal fight with Hasbro right now over me reviewing things. In the country I live in (Canada) the law is very specific and Hasbro's answer has been, "We don't care, the law may give you the right but you won't take us to court."

I have since told them that yes, yes I will actually.

If he was doing reviews and was in any North American or European country (at least) than he has the right to use those images and sounds for his review. The law is very specific. 

Hasbro isn't bad for trying to protect their material, they are bad for saying "Yes you are right the law is on your side but we are big and you are small so we will bully you out." Which is what they are trying to do and have a history of doing, they go to court alot and lose research it.

Edited by Macklin
  • Brohoof 1

So apparently, brony reviewer Dr. Wolf's account was terminated supposedly for copyright which doesn't make since since his reviews consisted of using images and not actual footage. 

Images are copyrighted, whether they be from Hasbro or from fan works.

That's actually tame compared to other reviewers who actually use footage from the show.

Doesn't matter if it is "tame" or not. Rules are rules. 

If two kids get caught drawing on the wall, one kid isn't going to get off with nothing because he used pencil instead of permanent markers like the other kid.

copyright rules state that you are allowed to show images, 30 seconds of film, or show video while voicing over it if you are criticing it. Dr.wolf did just that. Showed images to critic it. If that was the reason it was taken down, then that would actually be against the law itself.

"While the law may permit the fair use of a copyrighted work for such purposes as teaching, scholarship, research, criticism, comment, news reporting, etc., don't assume that all such uses are "fair." Fair use depends on a balance of four factors: the purpose of your use, the nature of the work, the amount of the work used, and the effect of your use on the potential market of the work. For more, see Indiana University's Copyright Resource Guide."

-Indiana University

Whether they fit in that area, I won't judge.

Listen to this person. This person is smart.

I've honestly never seen someone ay hasbro was evil in this fandom. I mean granted I've only been a brony for about 5 weeks and on this forum for 4 days.

Give it some time. You'll see pages of it if someone like LittleshyFiM or someone like that goes down.

He seems to use very little copyrighted material in his vids compared to others.

Still, it is copyrighted material.

• Brohoof 1

I know, but I'm just saying I would've expected it. I mean I think animations and fan games getting a C&D is unfair since the animation is all their work, they're just using copyrighted characters.

Have you ever heard of a little thing called fair use? It's a law that exists to protect reviewers and parody artists. 

• Brohoof 1

From what I remember from the discussions when Button Mash got taken down, this really does sound like fair use as he's doing a review.

It's definitely a lot stronger case of fair use than the ones we got from people after Button Mash, which basically amounted to "Well it's fair use because *cough cough* fair use, fair use, fair use. Oh yeah HASBRO IS EVIL!"

But we don't really know exactly what happened though here.

• Brohoof 3

Looks like this maybe a problem on Youtube/Google's end rather than Hasbro. Their content flagging system is rather contrived and faulty. Since it was on charges of suspicious activity, either the content filter misread his account, someone was hacking him or, as unfortunate as this may sound, he was doing suspicious activity. 

But at least something good came out of this. It showed how much we care about our fellow Bronies since we are paying so much attention to this. 

Hopefully this all gets sorted out. 

• Brohoof 3

I'm actually currently in a legal fight with Hasbro right now over me reviewing things. In the country I live in (Canada) the law is very specific and Hasbro's answer has been, "We don't care, the law may give you the right but you won't take us to court."

I have since told them that yes, yes I will actually.

If he was doing reviews and was in any North American or European country (at least) than he has the right to use those images and sounds for his review. The law is very specific. 

Hasbro isn't bad for trying to protect their material, they are bad for saying "Yes you are right the law is on your side but we are big and you are small so we will bully you out." Which is what they are trying to do and have a history of doing, they go to court alot and lose research it.

Actually I don't think this is Hasbro's fault, I think it's either due to YouTube's broken system or a false flagging troll.

• Brohoof 2