Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Have you judged a cartoon before watching it.

Lankman

Well have you, I have a few times, I judge wander over yonder, My little pony, adventure time, amazing world of gumball and TMNT (New series).

but once I tried them out I like them but MLP has to be the one I Judge the most before watching it.

After that I learned not to judge a cartoon before watching it.

I judge all shows before watching them. Not just cartoons but also live action and comedies. I think I was pretty tame in judging My Little Pony as I only accidentally came across it on YouTube. It is because of the fandom that I found the show and in turn had no time to judge it before joining it. I judge most new LEGO animations made by LEGO very often which is surprising as I love LEGO. On cartoons as I whole I tend not to judge. I find it too hard to judge something before watching it unless I have a long lasting hatred for the creator. For example I hate most of Shakespeare's works because I disliked having to learn about Romeo and Juliet. I suppose this makes me ignorant but I couldn't stand reading another piece of his literature, 

• Brohoof 2

MLP is quite an obvious one, sure I may not have hated or judged bronies but I was like "what do see many teenagers and adults see in this show" and I think MLP is one of those examples where you don't truly understand unless you watch it. The only other example I can think of off the top of my head is Sheezow, it seemed kind of dumb and I watched it and while it wasn't nearly as stupid as I thought it was going to be it was still kind of corny. I wouldn't go out of my way for that show, but it is alright if you have a half hour or so to kill and nothing else to do.

• Brohoof 2

I actually didn't judge MLP much before watching it. I had little to no opinion over the brand whatsoever.

There are plenty of cartoons/anime I judged negatively without really watching them, though. For some examples... Before I watched Dragon Ball Z (we have to go back to late elementary school for this lol) I thought it was incredibly stupid, and made fun of it because they looked like they were constipated. xD

Then I went through a strange (and very embarrassing to admit) phase in my early teens where I tried so hard to avoid anything 'for kids'. That was around the time that Kids Next Door came around, and I hated the show for that sole reason. >.< I watched some episodes of it several years back, and didn't dislike it at all.

South Park was another. My parents wouldn't even let me watch The Simpsons until I was 14. South Park was drilled into me to be an even worse [as in more crude] show to watch, which of course isn't actually false. lol. So it was completely and totally forbidden. They didn't have to do much, for one time they were flipping through the channels and stayed on a scene of South Park for some reason (I have no clue why, my parents would never actually watch it) and it had Jesus in it so I had this notion that it was making fun of Jesus so it was an awful show that I should never ever watch. I would not bring myself to be able to watch the show until maybe a few years ago... Like 7 or 8 years after I watched all of the other 'adult' cartoons. xD

I mean, South Park is a bit too much for me (although not for making fun of Jesus, anymore lol)... But not really much different from Family Guy, which I watched at 14. =/

• Brohoof 1

Yup. MLP. I originally watched it as a joke and told myself I would be torturing myself. Now look at me. Been a brony for over a year, if only I knew exactly when I started.

Yep. I originally though MLP:FiM was a bunch of idiots on the Roblox Forums trying to get attention, it slid off my back, and then it got popular. I wanted to watch it to see what was the hype, but I thought it would just be a girly thing.

As well, When I first heard of Adventure Time, it looked stupid with it's mediocre character designs and some of it's promos really made me facepalm (like that one with that kid going around screaming "WHAT TIME IS IT? WHAT TIME IS IT? WHAT TIME IS IT?", but then I watched it and it wasn't so bad, although it's gone downhill.

I judged Frozen before I watched it.  I thought it looked stupid and thought it was about some try hard to be funny snowman because that's all the commercials ever showed.  And then like a week or two before it stopped playing in theaters, I decided to go watch it because I was bored.  And it was the best movie I have ever seen and I almost didn't see it due to their crappy advertising. 

• Brohoof 1

As a general rule of thumb, I judge all animes. Not before watching them, but just because I don't watch them on principle. The closest I've gotten was Avatar The Last Airbender. I just dislike the art style and general feel of anime, so I never watch it ever. So I guess that counts. 

• Brohoof 1

As a general rule of thumb, I judge all animes. Not before watching them, but just because I don't watch them on principle. The closest I've gotten was Avatar The Last Airbender. I just dislike the art style and general feel of anime, so I never watch it ever. So I guess that counts. 

You should watch Attack on Titan.  It's not very anime-ish.  And the art is done very beautifully if the art is what you don't like about animes.

I originally thought it was some kind of joke when I found out about Bronies, and I never did hear any positive information about the show. 

I judged not only the show very harshly, but also the people within the fandom. I am the kind of person that everyone looks up to, and to show support or an interest in MLP. That's just simply unheard of.  :eww:

I used to judge things such as sailor moon pretty harshly and also a couple of girlie anime and kids shows.

Nowadays I hardly judge anything, and people have complimented me and picked up on it.

But there is still no way I could tell some of them the actual reason!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I must admit I have yet to watch the Equestria Girls but I like the Mane 6 as ponies so the concept slightly concerns me. :( I will check it out at some point to get a real opinion on it, I don't like to judge things from assumptions.

Edited by Guest

I usually judge a cartoon after watching a couple episodes. I don't judge it before watching, i just say, 'Hey, I think I'll like this', and dive in. If it isn't right for me, i'll discontinue watching it, but if I like it, i'll keep watching it. It's just a matter of interest.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I judge everything constantly lol; though oftentimes - having only seen a short clip or trailer - I will think, "This is going to be awesome."  I'm generally a good judge of whether or not I'm going to enjoy something.  Nothing I've seen of "Naruto" makes me want to see the series itself ever.  Not attacking the show or its fans; just doesn't interest me.  And I've got a billion anime series on my Hulu queue that I seriously need to maybe eventually when I feel like it watch.  xD  Whether or not "Naruto" or any show is "bad" is largely a matter of opinion / subjectivity.  Prejudging and then discovering later that you like something ain't so bad.  Thinking you'll love something and then being disappointed...  Not great.  Oh, and if I absolutely can't stand the art style of a show I will probably give it a miss.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 1

I always do.  If I'm going to invest my limited free time to something "entertaining," it needs to be entertaining.  There aren't too many shows that rub me the wrong way that I end up changing my mind over; if it looks bad, it tends to be bad.  However, it's rare that I'll never give things a chance at all.

In some cases, I'll give a show plenty of opportunities to prove me wrong.  Pokemon is a great example.  I watched the first 20 or so episodes, hating almost every aspect of it; I stand by the belief that it is one of the worst kid shows I've ever seen that most would argue against.  Others, like One Piece or Code Geass, are lucky to last a full episode before I give the series the metaphorical boot.

Hetalia is the last thing (that I can recall) I had a negative first impression on, but gave it another shot and changed my mind.  I think there were two reasons for that.  The first being that it was in Japanese.  In the episode I was watching, having different accents would have made some things more noticeable and amusing; seeing it in English made those differences MUCH more noticeable, and therefore more relevant.  Also, I watched a random episode, so the established character traits didn't make much sense in the episode; watching things from the beginning helped.  Finally, the final joke didn't feel like a joke to me, mainly because it was something that I already knew, and saw as being obvious; having not seen how many of the episodes were structured, I didn't understand that this was a constant way to educate and/or mock history/cultures.

This same approach is applicable to movies, books, music, or other media.  It needs to start off well in order for me to engage it and keep going.  If it doesn't start off well, why should I continue subjecting myself to garbage?

The problem with that is not all anime has the "anime look" to it, and just because a show has "that look" it doesn't make it an anime.  Avatar The Last Airbender is a great example of that; it's not an anime, but a cartoon done with the stereotypical styles of anime.  There are some out there that look more akin to American-based cartoons (for better or worse).

I'm not going to say that you need to watch a particular anime title, but I will say that it helps to look at a wide variety of a vast classification of entertainment.  I think when someone says that they don't like anime because of style, or one show, or the idea that it's all for kids, or for perverts, it's equal to saying that one will never listen to music because they don't like the whiny voices in country, the swearing in rap, the screaming in metal, or so on.

• Brohoof 1

When I first saw the trailer for Frozen, I thought it looked generic and dumb, so I refused to see it. But I had a friend just go on and on about it and who saw it like 4 times. So I finally went to go see it and the movie was great.

I tend to judge a lot of things by their trailers.

• Brohoof 1

Before FiM, I was always quick to judge anything before seeing it.

If there was one thing FiM taught me, it was to open to anything, and not to judge before trying

• Brohoof 1

There's two I can think of, Mlp and South Park.

Mlp one is obvious and probably what most bronies did.

With South Park, when I first saw it, I thought it was your typical vulgar for the heck of it cartoons. Then I watched more episodes and saw the clever social commentary and how much of a likable bastard Cartman is.

(edited)

I judge shows all the times before watching them, even to this day-- something I really, REALLY need to stop doing!

I didn't start watching FIM until late 2012/ early 2013 because I thought it would be just like the previous incarnations of the franchise-- girly, baseless, and saccharine. But whilst I initially put off by the show, I didn't really have that much of an opinion of Bronies…

Finally, curiosity got the better of me, and I finally succumbed to the "dreaded Brony Virus!"

Edited by Hypn0ticD
  • Brohoof 1

I sort of assumed that FiM would be painful to watch, and that the "bronydom" was just a stupid meme used to shock people. I wasn't an anti-brony, I just didn't care. It took a lot of hype for me to become curious enough to sit down and watch it.

I have no regrets.