Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What If: Disney Buys Hasbro

Crystallize

Disney is a corporate amoeba that's absorbing things left and right, and I don like it.  Something must ultimately fall by the wayside; assuming it hasn't already.  (Was Disney at all responsible for that pretty disappointing way-too-soon-reboot that was The Amazing Spider-Man film??  I know they "ate" Marvel...)  I'm honestly not overly fond of Disney in general.  I'm one of those (probably few / of a minority) people that thought Kingdom Hearts would be much better off without Mickey Mouse or the like in it (just straight FF nostalgia woulda sufficed for me).  Don't get me wrong: I've liked some things Disney.  Specifically DuckTales, Gargoyles, Darkwing Duck, and Gummi (sp?) Bears - when I was a kid.  And this or that animated movie, sure.  But they don't have to own everything.  Let Hasbro and the specific people responsible for MLP:FIM do their thing, unmolested.  I don't want an episode of MLP where Mickey Mouse shows up in a sorcerer's hat while Darth Vader force chokes Spike and the Hulk reduces Sugarcube Corner to rubble.

They wanted to buy a civil war battle field to build a civil war themed theme park over it. That's destroying American heritage. Not to mention they've been known to butcher foreign films they buy the rights to in an effort to "make them more marketable to America" and they're huge supporters of SOPA. Seems pretty evil to me.

That's not "evil" morally questionable sure, but the things they have, they always treat with the utmost respect.

Go to Disneyworld's "Liberty Square" in the Magic Kingdom. You'll see they have a respect for American heritage up there with Columbia without the racism.

They want to make things more marketable so they can tell better stories. Re-interpreting the Hunchback of Notre Dame, didn't overwrite Victor Hugo's book, but I'll tell you that a lot more people wanted to read it after seeing that movie, including myself.

Supporting SOPA was just them looking out for their IP. Yeah, I'm not in support of that action, but I can understand it.

All in all, Disney is not evil.

(edited)

I don't care, as long as they don't add a Miley Cyrus, Demi Lovato, or any of their crappy 'artists' there. At least it opens an opportunity of an MLP-Star Wars or MLP-Frozen crossover... :lol:

Edited by GeometryMath Algebra
  • Brohoof 1

I read this topic's title and my heart skipped a beat. :P

If Disney bought Hasbro, I would be afraid of what they would try to do to bronies. I could see them do a lot worse than take down a couple of videos here and there on Youtube.

it opens an opportunity of an MLP-Star Wars or MLP-Frozen crossover... :lol:

Oh that would be kickass!

Imagine! Nightmare Moon vs. Elsa in an ice palace on the moon . . . and they both have lightsabers!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Was Disney at all responsible for that pretty disappointing way-too-soon-reboot that was The Amazing Spider-Man film?? I know they "ate" Marvel.

Disney is semi responsible. If Sony (the current owner) didn't reboot and make more Spider-Man movies, the rights would have reverted to Disney, who probably have given us the same exact thing as what we're getting.

That's not "evil" morally questionable sure, but the things they have, they always treat with the utmost respect.

Go to Disneyworld's "Liberty Square" in the Magic Kingdom. You'll see they have a respect for American heritage up there with Columbia without the racism.

They want to make things more marketable so they can tell better stories. Re-interpreting the Hunchback of Notre Dame, didn't overwrite Victor Hugo's book, but I'll tell you that a lot more people wanted to read it after seeing that movie, including myself.

I call bull on that. I've been to the Magic Kingdom and it's nothing more than a mishmash of cultural stereotypes. I mean, viking stuff for Norway, maple syrup for Canada, and ponchos and sombreros for Mexico? If I were from any three of those countries I would have been mildly offended.

As for rewriting stories, I'm not against that. In fact, I enjoy a different take on a known story if done well. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about Miramax's practice under Disney of taking already finished films and severely altering them to make them Americanized. That's the same as what China does to American movies and it's an insult to the art of film. Miramax hasn't done this under Dimension, and didn't do it before Disney bought them, so obviously Disney enforced the policy.

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

Still though, I don't think Hasbro is doing the absolute best job with it right now... *COUGH* MY LITTLE PONY COMPLETE SEASON BLU RAYS *COUGH*

I don't understand why those don't exist already!!  I'm sure the MLP fandom includes many persons like myself who 1. know what a blu-ray is / can differentiate between "DVD" and "blu-ray" format and 2. own a machine that also knows what a blu-ray is lol.  And, of course, are willing to possibly pay a bit more for better quality.  Or...  Oh, crap.  I'm going to end up buying the seasons on DVD first...  And THEN blu-ray format will magically become available.  I just know it.

Disney is semi responsible. If Sony (the current owner) didn't reboot and make more Spider-Man movies, the rights would have reverted to Disney, who probably have given us the same exact thing as what we're getting.

Ah, okay - thanks for explaining that to me.

I don't think so. If the rights went back to Disney, they would have held off on a movie. Maybe a cartoon, but not a full film. With all the time in the world to use the character, they probably would have given him a more typical movie we've seen for the past few that would have at least loosely tied Spider Man into the existing film continuity.

And you can't blame Disney for Sony's actions.

I don't understand why those don't exist already!!  I'm sure the MLP fandom includes many persons like myself who 1. know what a blu-ray is / can differentiate between "DVD" and "blu-ray" format and 2. own a machine that also knows what a blu-ray is lol.  And, of course, are willing to possibly pay a bit more for better quality.  Or...  Oh, crap.  I'm going to end up buying the seasons on DVD first...  And THEN blu-ray format will magically become available.  I just know it.

Ah, okay - thanks for explaining that to me.

Hell, I'd be satisfied with just DVD's. I swear Hasbro is sitting on a literal gold mine with those DVD's/BluRays. Heck, making combo-packs would be even better.

• Brohoof 2

I love Disney, but they are big enough already. I would still watch the show if it happened, but it probably won't happen. Disney hasn't exactly ruined the other companies they bought, so I guess I shouldn't be too worried.

• Brohoof 1

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY! Frozen is AWESOME. Im watching it right now. :P

I love Frozen as a movie. What I meant was that the fact that there was a song literally every ten to fifteen minutes was pretty overboard. Songs are great in MLP but a song every episode? They would undoubtedly end up like Frozen with most or all of them being completely forgettable wastes of time.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Disney is a corporate amoeba that's absorbing things left and right, and I don like it.

Hasbro did that too! They did with Kenner and Galoob so that they dissapeared them, also don't forget that they also own Milton Bradley.

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

I love Frozen as a movie. What I meant was that the fact that there was a song literally every ten to fifteen minutes was pretty overboard. Songs are great in MLP but a song every episode? They would undoubtedly end up like Frozen with most or all of them being completely forgettable wastes of time.

We've had our share of song heavy episodes. Magical Mystery Cure was a full on musical, and Pinkie Pride was filled with songs.

(edited)

We've had our share of song heavy episodes. Magical Mystery Cure was a full on musical, and Pinkie Pride was filled with songs.

Of course but that's only one or two episodes and at least in Pinkie Pride it didn't seem to interfere with the episode's plot like the songs in Magical Mystery Cure did. Much like Frozen, Magical Mystery Cure had so many songs that the episode would be literally incomplete without them but the songs were completely overused but though people may disagree with me at least in MMC the songs were amazing.

The saturation of songs is most of the problem though. We can't love all the songs and there are people who disagree with me completely on the quality of the songs in Frozen too.

Here's hoping they don't try to do it again unless it fits the theme of the episode like Pinkie Pride's songs.

This is me, talking in circles. REDUNDANCY!

Edited by Discordian
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hasbro did that with Kenner and Galoob too so that they dissapeared them, also don't forget that they also own Milton Bradley.

Hmm, I didn't know that.  I don't like these corporate mergers / absorptions in general (I mean, if it involves a company that I care about).  Nowadays, the Squaresoft + Enix merger irks me because if Square goes down the drain, so does Enix.  I would've continued supporting Enix and the Dragon Warrior / Quest franchise had they remained a separate entity, but there have been several FF and related titles in recent years that I'm just not interested in owning.  Pretty sure SquareEnix later got a hold of Taito as well; don't think they've done much with that company's franchises.  And I was truly saddened when Hudson Soft was bought - and later dissolved - by Konami.  The Bomberman and Adventure Island people!  They also developed the earlier Mario Party titles for Nintendo.  I used to love Konami, but that (and their recent handling of the Castlevania franchise / lack of support for my console of choice) has soured me on them somewhat.

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 1

Of course but that's only one or two episodes and at least in Pinkie Pride it didn't seem to interfere with the episode's plot like the songs in Magical Mystery Cure did. Much like Frozen, Magical Mystery Cure had so many songs that the episode would be literally incomplete without them but the songs were completely overused but though people may disagree with me at least in MMC the songs were amazing.

The saturation of songs is most of the problem though. We can't love all the songs and there are people who disagree with me completely on the quality of the songs in Frozen too.

Here's hoping they don't try to do it again unless it fits the theme of the episode like Pinkie Pride's songs.

This is me, talking in circles. REDUNDANCY!

I thought almost all of the songs in Frozen were great quality. The only one I didn't like was "Fixer Upper" I stepped out to refill my drink then.  ^_^

Hmm, I didn't know that.  I don't like these corporate mergers / absorptions in general (I mean, if it involves a company that I care about).  Nowadays, the Squaresoft + Enix merger irks me because if Square goes down the drain, so does Enix.  I would've continued supporting Enix and the Dragon Warrior / Quest franchise had they remained a separate entity, but there have been several FF and related titles in recent years that I'm just not interested in owning.  Pretty sure SquareEnix later got a hold of Taito as well; don't think they've done much with that companies franchises.  And I was truly saddened when Hudson Soft was bought - and later dissolved - by Konami.  The Bomberman and Adventure Island people!  They also developed the earlier Mario Party titles for Nintendo.  I used to love Konami, but that (and their recent handling of the Castlevania franchise / lack of support for my console of choice) has soured me on them somewhat.

When two companies merge, it's almost always for mutual benefit. Take the Marvel/Disney team up. Disney now has access to Marvel's library of characters, and Marvel now can pull some of Disney's financial resources to make more comics and movie adaptations.

As you just discussed, it doesn't always work, but often one of the partners actually needs to be saved or it will go out of business. While I don't know the history of your example, their might be more to it than at first glance. 

When two companies merge, it's almost always for mutual benefit. Take the Marvel/Disney team up. Disney now has access to Marvel's library of characters, and Marvel now can pull some of Disney's financial resources to make more comics and movie adaptations.

As you just discussed, it doesn't always work, but often one of the partners actually needs to be saved or it will go out of business. While I don't know the history of your example, their might be more to it than at first glance. 

To be fair, I picked examples where things either went downhill or seem as though they will go downhill lol.  And, perhaps childishly or even inexplicably, I still don't like Disney in my Marvel.  I lacked the fondness (even harbored a dislike) for Disney that some have, so when Thing A (I don't like) is combined with Thing B (I do like) it rubs me the wrong way.  Not pretending to understand business or corporate mergers on any significant level; just the way I feel as that little consumer guy that sees these things - over which he has zero control - happening.

(edited)

Hmm, I didn't know that.  I don't like these corporate mergers / absorptions in general (I mean, if it involves a company that I care about).  Nowadays, the Squaresoft + Enix merger irks me because if Square goes down the drain, so does Enix.  I would've continued supporting Enix and the Dragon Warrior / Quest franchise had they remained a separate entity, but there have been several FF and related titles in recent years that I'm just not interested in owning.  Pretty sure SquareEnix later got a hold of Taito as well; don't think they've done much with that company's franchises.  And I was truly saddened when Hudson Soft was bought - and later dissolved - by Konami.  The Bomberman and Adventure Island people!  They also developed the earlier Mario Party titles for Nintendo.  I used to love Konami, but that (and their recent handling of the Castlevania franchise / lack of support for my console of choice) has soured me on them somewhat.

Well, I guess we can be agree on that, not all company-mergings make me happy, I mean I like Hasbro because of Transformers and My Little Pony, but it's sad about Kenner and Galoob because they made the Star Wars toys that marked my childhood.

I didn't like the death of Lucas Arts, but I understand it since it was already a zombie company even before the Disney purchase.

Edited by RainbowMau
  • Brohoof 1

I thought almost all of the songs in Frozen were great quality. The only one I didn't like was "Fixer Upper" I stepped out to refill my drink then.  ^_^

I didn't really think any of them were particularly outstanding. Most of why they were good was because of their story relevance but they had no real showmanship. Felt like they were trying too hard to capitalize on the success of the songs of their past and were churning them out for the sake of basking in that limelight.

To be fair, I picked examples where things either went downhill or seem as though they will go downhill lol.  And, perhaps childishly or even inexplicably, I still don't like Disney in my Marvel.  I lacked the fondness (even harbored a dislike) for Disney that some have, so when Thing A (I don't like) is combined with Thing B (I do like) it rubs me the wrong way.  Not pretending to understand business or corporate mergers on any significant level; just the way I feel as that little consumer guy that sees these things - over which he has zero control - happening.

You do have control though. Don't buy Disney's products, that's how you don't show support. Tell others of your dissension and persuade them likewise.

Consumers have rights to speak out against what they don't like, the companies are there to serve us after all. Write a letter expressing concern, make a Youtube video about why you don't like Marvel's decision. There are a number of ways to approach it if it bothers you that much.

Honestly though, has Disney really done anything to the Marvel Universe that bad?! (Aside of the Superhero Show that sucks as both Marvel and a kid's show!)

Me, I'm both a Marvel fan boy as well as a Walt follower, so this is the best of both worlds for me.

(edited)

The songs in Frozen were partially good, I found. I particularly found Let It Go and Do You Want To Build A Snowman excellent, but the rest were forgettable. I can't even remember the presence of the rest beyond the opening ice harvest song. They were far too abundant.

Edited by Dinos4Ever

The songs in Frozen were partially good, I found. I particularly found Let It Go and Do You Want To Build A Snowman excellent, but the rest were forgettable. I can't even remember the presence of the rest beyond the opening ice harvest song. They were far too abundant.

"Frozen Heart"

"Love is an Open Door"

and 

"In Summer"

"Reindeer are better than people" if you want to get technical.  ^_^

(edited)

Honestly though, has Disney really done anything to the Marvel Universe that bad?! (Aside of the Superhero Show that sucks as both Marvel and a kid's show!)

Pinkie Pie: Give it time...

^ Not even being overly serious lol; just had to post that.  Had.  To.

Me, I'm both a Marvel fan boy as well as a Walt follower, so this is the best of both worlds for me.

I'm glad for you, and I'm honestly not being sarcastic (in case it sounded that way ^^; ).  Ideally, I would like to like as many things as possible; thus achieving maximum enjoyment / comfort / satisfaction.  And the stuff you said about boycotts and letter writing was good, but that doesn't sound like stuff I would do lol.  Also, pretty sure I already buy about zero Disney anything.  Though, darnit, they're the North American distributors for some Hayao Miyazaki films...

Edited by PegaMister
  • Brohoof 1