Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do some people hate Rainbow Dash?

RainbowDashCool

I don't hate any of the Mane 6. But sometimes her arrogant nature and ego annoys me. 

It depends on the person I guess. Some people like characters like that. Personally, they just aren't my favorite.

• Brohoof 1

I will admit rainbow is my least favorite of the mane six, I wouldn't say I hate her though. She is awesome and her loyalty is undeniable.

What makes her my least favorite is her ego and how she is always stroking it. It's one thing to talk about your passion for speed and flying. It's another to constantly brag about the fact that she's faster then any other pony. Rather than using words to brag to others, she should just let her actions speak for themselves.

She's too much a spotlight pony for me as well.

Edited by Chip Circuit

• 3 years later...

I don’t hate rainbow dash but I don’t like her as a character. I think for a tomboy character like her she just feels so generic such as with lines like “ that was AWESSSOMMMMEE!” That really annoy me as they remind me of phrases said by characters who were meant to appeal to 10 year old boys. I find rainbow dash’s personality to be just generally annoying. Even a character that is in your face or supposed to be obnoxious to an extent doesn’t have to be annoying for example Scout from tf2 he is funny to listen to despite being a generic guy from Boston and I enjoy him as a character where as rainbow dash just comes off as too rediculous/annoying to me. I prefer her g1 counter part Firefly over her as she despite being a one time character was a lot more enjoyable and like able and she too was a risk taker and outgoing pony like rainbow dash. Again even in recent seasons rainbow dash just comes off as annoying to me. That’s coming from someone who likes Lemongrab from adventure time (who many people think is an annoying character).

>Literally any other characters show pride and ego

Bronies - "LOL so funny! They're so fun and endearing"

>Rainbow Dash shows even a hint of pride

Bronies -

9iJYVTr.gif

• Brohoof 6

3 minutes ago, Whomps said:

Bronies -

9iJYVTr.gif

Yeah, that doesn't make sense to me either.

• Brohoof 1

37 minutes ago, Whomps said:

Bronies -

9iJYVTr.gif

The only one who does it as much as Rainbow is Trixie, and they show a clear difference.

Trixie's ego is not backed up with her actions, she needs her ego to keep going.

Rainbow Dash's skills are already top tier and she keeps bragging, that's even more noticeable when she loses at a competition, she just can't handle the loss and starts sabotaging others. If she were a constant loser (like Trixie) that would generate a sympathetic reaction, but being the winner she is, it comes out as petty and unlikable.

14 minutes ago, DonMaguz said:

The only one who does it as much as Rainbow is Trixie, and they show a clear difference.

Trixie's ego is not backed up with her actions, she needs her ego to keep going.

Rainbow Dash's skills are already top tier and she keeps bragging, that's even more noticeable when she loses at a competition, she just can't handle the loss and starts sabotaging others. If she were a constant loser (like Trixie) that would generate a sympathetic reaction, but being the winner she is, it comes out as petty and unlikable.

Even then people love to exaggerate it as worse than it ever is, to the point where it just comes of as people whining about it for the sake of it. The only episodes I can really think of where her ego ever actually got in the way of anything was Fall Weather Friends, which is a season 1 episode and was addressed fairly, Mare Do Well and Newbie Dash, two episodes that practically felt like they only exist solely for the purpose of punishing her for her pride and nothing else

• Brohoof 2

12 minutes ago, Whomps said:

Even then people love to exaggerate it as worse than it ever is, to the point where it just comes of as people whining about it for the sake of it. The only episodes I can really think of where her ego ever actually got in the way of anything was Fall Weather Friends, which is a season 1 episode and was addressed fairly, Mare Do Well and Newbie Dash, two episodes that practically felt like they only exist solely for the purpose of punishing her for her pride and nothing else

Sure, she has the "do it once, blame her forever" and the "one wrong action casts a shadow over many good actions" things going on among her avid critics, but that's also true for some other characters' critics (not to mention the haters).

At the end, characters with the bigger peaks and valleys in their behaviour such as Rainbow tend to have both the most avid fans and the most avid haters.

Different people have different tastes. I personally like all of the main characters, but I've spent most of my brony days being most able to relate to Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy. When I was first watching the show, however, I actually did like Rainbow Dash the best since it was just so much fun seeing her be a sarcastic jerk to others. :laugh: Out of the six, RD is definitely the one who behaves most like an antihero, which isn't going to please the kind of people who want all of the Mane 6 to behave as admirably as possible. Regarding the people who just can't appreciate the good in RD's character for reasons that aren't even legitimately grounded, just let them say what they want, they're the ones who are missing out. :dash:

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one who ever hated Rainbow Dash because of bad experiences with fans? The experiences are long past, but they did a hit in making me hate her at the time.

Some people hate RD's bragging, her ego, and her rudeness, but all of those are part of her archetype. Ace pilot characters tend to have cocky, competitive traits that can make them seem insensitive to those who don't possess the same drive. These characters are often more vulnerable than they appear on the surface. I think peoples' criticisms of Rainbow Dash's character tend to be exaggerated or singularly scrutinized, to the point of ignoring the rest of her character as it's appeared in 8 seasons and 5 movies.

So, I think it's generally either a distaste for RD's character type or a misunderstanding of what that type is like.

(edited)
On 6/22/2018 at 9:17 AM, Califorum said:

I don't like her attitude either. 

This is the reason I'm not a fan of Rainbow Dash. :sealed:

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 1

On 7/19/2018 at 8:06 PM, Califorum said:

I want to see her live the life of an earth pony and come out as the brat she is. 

At least Rainbow Dash can back it up. Trixie can go ahead and die. She has no redeeming qualities. And don't tell me it's her job to brag. I've never seen a performer act like as much of a douche during a performance as Trixie does.

Even if her bad moments outweigh her good moments, I can't hate her. Heck Testing Testing 123 was the most relatable episode to me from start to finish as while I'm not athletic and a fighter like her, I share her same troubles with studying. To make an episode where I 100% relate to the least relatable pony of the Mane 6 is an impressive feat! Heck, I even related to Twilight trying to find a study method that works for Dash. 

On a side note, People who focus too much on the bad moments and never give attention to the good moments bothers me and I can only hope more and more people realize they need to keep an open mind and actually look for the good stuff and not just the bad stuff.

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, bonanner said:

At least Rainbow Dash can back it up. Trixie can go ahead and die. She has no redeeming qualities. And don't tell me it's her job to brag. I've never seen a performer act like as much of a douche during a performance as Trixie does.

Well, whatever then.

8 hours ago, Wholly Windcharger said:

Even if her bad moments outweigh her good moments, I can't hate her. Heck Testing Testing 123 was the most relatable episode to me from start to finish as while I'm not athletic and a fighter like her, I share her same troubles with studying. To make an episode where I 100% relate to the least relatable pony of the Mane 6 is an impressive feat! Heck, I even related to Twilight trying to find a study method that works for Dash. 

On a side note, People who focus too much on the bad moments and never give attention to the good moments bothers me and I can only hope more and more people realize they need to keep an open mind and actually look for the good stuff and not just the bad stuff.

There's a problem with today's society of seeing in an exaggerated negative light any small hint of flaw and mistake on the character part. It suck, as I bet I'm not the only one who was sold on these horses partly because they have flaws as well

• Brohoof 2

I see topics like these are read the comments and I laugh to myself. I imagine a balance scale. On one side is a container that is labled personal baggage and experience. On the other side is a container that is labled imagination and perspective. 

God it feels good being in balance. People should try it. 

2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

There's a problem with today's society of seeing in an exaggerated negative light any small hint of flaw and mistake on the character part. It suck, as I bet I'm not the only one who was sold on these horses partly because they have flaws as well

It's in my top five reasons I like a particular character, or characters in general. 

• Brohoof 3

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Right. Mary Sue characters aren't relatable in anyway. I can think of a character or two in the show that might be close to that but most characters aren't perfect at all and that's why I like about that. Plus, character development is nice.

• Brohoof 4

Just now, TheTaZe said:

Right. Mary Sue characters aren't relatable in anyway. I can think of a character or two in the show that might be close to that but most characters aren't perfect at all and that's why I like about that. Plus, character development is nice.

+5 perspective points awarded to House Ravenclaw

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Jeric said:

+5 perspective points awarded to House Ravenclaw

Haha, thanks. ;)

No but seriously, that is one of the biggest reasons I like Rainbow Dash so much. Not that she is just so cute but that she is arrogant. She reminds me a lot of myself sometimes since I can become very arrogant in certain situations.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, TheTaZe said:

Haha, thanks. ;)

No but seriously, that is one of the biggest reasons I like Rainbow Dash so much. Not that she is just so cute but that she is arrogant. She reminds me a lot of myself sometimes since I can became very arrogant in certain situations.

Anyone with any semblance of talent or intelligence can take a page from her struggle with confidence. It is actually a trait you see to varying degrees with other characters too. Rarity, AJ, and Twilight are certainly over-confident at times. 

8 minutes ago, TheTaZe said:

And if they better not use the "she didn't take her development at heart" card. First, she has shown it, but they get ignored. Second, Dashie has been pretty disliked by these parts of the fandom since times of yore :dash:

• Brohoof 1