Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who was the original pony behind the sonic rainboom?

ManaMinori

I'm questioning whether it was really Rainbow Dash, now that I think about it.

In “Cutie mark Chronicles”, Rainbow mentions that most ponies thought that the sonic rainboom was only an old mare's tale, but on the day that Dash discovered racing, and was able to perform one, herself, that she proved the legend was true.

But let's take a step back for a second- all legends have to originate from something, don't they? Some real life occurrence or event or feat performed by someone (or somepony), who became that legend, and had tales of them passed on through the generations. One other legend was the one of Nightmare Moon, also which nopony believed, until she came to terrorize everypony.

So who was the legend who performed the first ever sonic rainboom, before Dash performed the feat told in legends of someponyelse?

But let's take a step back for a second- all legends have to originate from something, don't they?

Nope, some are just made up.

Like "the Snipe". (lol)

But I can understand where you're coming from, while I didn't think of it being "an old mare's tale", I did think that Dashie wouldn't have known what to call it if she had been the one who first made one.

This is just a shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess one of the first Wonderbolts. ^^;

Probably Firefly (oops General Firefly), or one of the other wonderbolts. Perhaps E-Z glider, as he did come up with have the move set the wonderbolts use in shows to this very day.

Like "the Snipe". (lol)

But the snipe is a real bird.

And I think he meant how every legend is influenced by reality and the truth in some mannor. Even the modern creepypasta characters have basis in real human killers.

• Brohoof 2

Like "the Snipe". (lol)

But I can understand where you're coming from, while I didn't think of it being "an old mare's tale", I did think that Dashie wouldn't have known what to call it if she had been the one who first made one.

This is just a shot in the dark, but I'm going to guess one of the first Wonderbolts. ^^;

what's made up, I wouldn't consider a legend; but rather myth or fairy tale. (and while the other ponies assume it to be fairy tale (like Nightmare moon), Dash clearly say "legend" in the episode, after she performed the feat) So it had to have been done by someone who was a legend, long before Dash's time, but that other ponies forgot about

http://classiclit.about.com/cs/10th14thcentury/a/aa_definemyth.htm

(edited)

If somepony did one before Rainbow Dash, it might be Firefly.

I don't think that's the case here, since the sonic rainbows do exist. It would be too much of a coincidence. Edited by Blobulle

I don't think that's the case here, since the sonic rainbows do exist. It would be too much of a coincidence.

I think you may have taken my quote a little out of context, as I was referring to legends in general.

Maybe it was her dad.  He was rainbow like her.  Maybe he was the cool kid that could do that when he was young, and just didn't tell her about it.  and then the story got passed on at the school through the generations, as stories do.

I like to think it was General Firefly.

what makes you think it could've been (General) Firefly- solely the fact that she was who Faust intended Rainbow Dash to be, this generation?

what makes you think it could've been (General) Firefly- solely the fact that she was who Faust intended Rainbow Dash to be, this generation?

It makes just as much sense as anything else.

It makes just as much sense as anything else.

i suppose, but there's only her gen 1 personality to go by. We don't really know what general Firefly is like in G4- or if it's even the same Firefly.

While I like the idea that GF was the one to have pulled off the first RB, since she is a well known historic figure it seems like it would be odd for that move not to be a well known historic fact linked to her. Personally since it was held as a legend, I'm thinking that a lesser know pony was the one who first pulled it off. As for who, if were going with G1 ponies Skydancer, Starshine have the rainbow mane to be connect to it or maybe one of the Pegasus like Lofty, Wind Whistler or heck even Surprise might have pulled it off. If they want to uses G3 Star Catcher was special enough to pull off the move but most likely not well known enough in history to be known for such a move.

Probably Firefly (oops General Firefly), or one of the other wonderbolts. Perhaps E-Z glider, as he did come up with have the move set the wonderbolts use in shows to this very day.

But the snipe is a real bird.

And I think he meant how every legend is influenced by reality and the truth in some mannor. Even the modern creepypasta characters have basis in real human killers.

Funny Firefly was the pony who came to mind with me actually. If only for Dashie being originally based off of her.

So I figured it could've made sense in a funny way if she did it first. If not something similar to it before Dash did. Know what I mean?

I don't think that just because Firefly is similar in personality to Rainbow dash and was who she was based off of doesn't means that they have the same speed and abilities

You all could be grossly overestimating Firefly in terms of what she can and can't do. Yes, she's a pegasus, yes, shes acrobatic and daring and is excited at the thought of rushing headfist into danger, but looking at the sonic Rainboom, it's done by a pegasus with a rainbow mane- which, at a certain point during acceleration, seems to become wavy and almost like liquid, before the sonic rainboom occurs. (and I think it's at that point, the colors in the mane start reacting more strongly with the water vapor in the air, to form the rainboom, as the sound barrier breaks)

Firefly doesn't have a rainbow mane, meaning that she couldn't possible be able to make the rainboom, let alone be the first pony to go down in legend for it.

So since I think the pony (obviously) has to be a pegasus with a rainbow mane, maybe we should look to G1 Skydancer or Starshine and try to figure out which one it could be.

The Sonic RainBoom had to have originated from somewhere in order for RainbowDash to have even heard about it.

It was most likely her father,or somebody else with a rainbow colored mane.

It couldn't of been firefly because then it wouldn't have been called the "Sonic Rainboom" but "Sonic *insert w/e*". 

I say this only because of this scene from the show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqu7CorgSy8

Clearly we see Twilight perform something akin to the Sonic Rainboom,heck i even screem "OH **** SHE JUST DID A SONIC.....BOOMSPARK????"

Yes "Sonic Boomspark" or i guess "Sonic Sparkleboom" if u may. 

As you can see the "Sonic Boomspark/Sparkleboom" resembles Twilight's mane in terms of color,it even has a boom/explosion or whatever that resembles her cutie mark(a star thingy)

So ya,i think someone with a rainbow mane did the original Sonic Rainboom,most likely a ancestor of Dashie.

• 2 weeks later...