Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are Bronies Disliked?

Aureity

It is actually simple. Because MLP mainly targeted for children, they think we bronies are being childish or something like that.

Other haters said that it's a girls' show. Or maybe they only see the cloppers. There's many possibilities of this.

....I have answered the main topic.

You don't have to make them like ponies, or bronies in this case. But you could at least say the magic word (what I mean here is the moral messages) to them. ....Oh I haven't been able to do this yet.

• Brohoof 1

I stopped caring what people said about me at the age of six, so when I told my best friend I was a brony he laughed and I was like "heck, you do whatevah you want I'll do what I want". 

And about MLP being for children. They've started to direct season 2 and 3 more and more to the fandom than to the actual "little girls" because there's if you pay some attention a lot of adult humor in there. But back to the topic, being a brony is being different. In my eyes "different" is a good thing. A lot of people find it awkward or even stupid to stand apart from the mainstream group. And because being a brony is different there will always be people that don't like us. Hate is perhaps a big word.

I think you should be proud of being a brony because it seperates you from all of those "normal" people.

• Brohoof 3

I love being different. I love loving what others hate sometimes. Some people hate on Logitech's audio stuff and I love it! Some people hate on Applebee's and I love them. Some people hate on Hands-Up music and I love it. I don't care. 

You really cant enjoy anything these days without getting flak from someone who doesnt like it. Face reality, you cant please everyone, so please yourself instead. We've all been over this stuff a million times, and the answer is always the same. Over masculine alpha males expect other males to only like manly things, and if you go off the beaten path then youre some kind of sissy. Hey, ill go shoot some guns, drink some beer, go offroad, have bonfires, etc.... but when i get home im gonna watch some MLP or read a fanfic. thats my business, and if it demotes me as a man, then so be it. 

If theres a stereotype for a brony, then i dont fit it at all. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

More-or-less, it just occurs to me that we're a contradiction of what society views to be "normal." I myself think that's awesome, and that there should be more things like us (I'm opposed to the idea of "normals", it makes being an outcast that much easier). Unfortunately, society seems to like its normality. We're seen as going against what's acceptable, and that makes us an easy target.

As someone else said, it could be an issue of ignorance. People tend to dislike what they don't know or don't understand. Our fandom is no different; people don't understand us, so they don't like us.

Overall, the idea that people that aren't <7 year-old girls like ponies just leaves a bad taste in the average person's mouth. 

Everybody has different tastes in the internet and television shows. Some people like bronies but some people don't like it. Everybody is different, but your just the way your are. :D

We also need to realize that the knife cuts both ways. So, we all think that haters hate for no reason, but maybe some of them have reasons, just because some don't understand doesn't mean none of them understand. Maybe if we just take some time to explain why we like it, maybe they will listen and understand. They don't have to be bronies but they don't have to criticize us.

Same reason alot of people hate all kinds of different types of groups. Because we have groups who are sterotyped as everyone to be like them who are dumb and ignorant.

Its also because people are very stuck in their ways and don't typically step out of what is considered "cool"

Anything thats considered "Weird" or "Different" by society is hated upon by it.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I doubt many answers here, which are mostly saying "we're different, that's why they hate us", is really the true reason.

I posted in a thread somewhere that I believe bronies deserved the hate they get. If it's really that we're different, then my comment would make no sense whatsoever.

Let's see.

1. Bronies typically care more for ponies than for real people. Non-bronies don't really do that; some non-bronies love anime, many love video games, but usually, many people aren't delusional enough to pretend that those things could actually be real.

2. Bronies...well, they love the show so very much that they tend to overreact at every single little change that's considered unsatisfactory. Two words. Alicorn Twilight. One word. Derpygate. Not a single other fandom which I was in overreacted over someone's voice getting changed. This fandom, however, does so. It's no wonder non-bronies hate us.

3. Bronies ponify everything. From Sonic to Pokemon to anime. Other people then get annoyed. Any questions?

4. Just like the people hating people thing, bronies are just as much as a fault here as the "haters". "Love and tolerate", most say, and yet when it comes to other people, they don't do the same, do they?

5. Shoving ponies everywhere, in people's faces. "This drawing is 20% cooler!" 

Of course, not all bronies are like that, but definitely the majority are. Is it any wonder that other people dislike us now?

Of course, not all bronies are like that, but definitely the majority are. Is it any wonder that other people dislike us now?

1. I feel sorry for those that do because they do so not because they are bad people but usually because life has taken a bit of a crap on them which has likely soured their views on people. If I had ponies when I was in high school it is very likely that I would have been guilty of this because lets face it ponies can't make fun of you or let you down but people can. I think these people deserve a bit of compassion not condemnation because anyone who has lost that much faith in humanity could clearly use a friend.

2. While I will admit there were some people that over reacted to alicorn Twilight there are plenty of legitimate concerns about a change which many critics of it including myself feel is a change made far too soon and without nearly enough buildup to justify it. As for Derpy what pissed off a lot of Derpy fans including myself was not so much her voice getting changed but that Derpy's potential to be used to reach out to people that are seen as different was killed thanks to the over reaction of parents and busy bodies who know nothing about the show but still felt the need to butt in where they don't belong.

And if you want to see overreacting you ought to check out how the Star Wars fans overreact to every little change made in the re releases of the Star Wars movies. The changes made may have been extremely arbitrary and feel out of place but they act like it completely and totally killed the movies when they are just minor tweaks George Lucas did to stoke his own ego. And there is the way the Sonic fandom over reacted when they decided to give Shadow a pair of handguns in one game.

3. Nobody is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to see any of that so if they anyone that has a problem with that can kiss my ass.

4. Yes a lot of bronies get caught up in responding to the haters which is a huge waste of time as that is exactly what they want.

5. Yes there is annoying segment of the brony community that does this but thankfully they are in the minority.

• Brohoof 1

1. I feel sorry for those that do because they do so not because they are bad people but usually because life has taken a bit of a crap on them which has likely soured their views on people. If I had ponies when I was in high school it is very likely that I would have been guilty of this because lets face it ponies can't make fun of you or let you down but people can. I think these people deserve a bit of compassion not condemnation because anyone who has lost that much faith in humanity could clearly use a friend.

I find it extremely amusing that the majority of bronies--or everyone, really--apparently have a "depressing" life and complain that nobody cares for them. I, frankly, think that many of them are just trying to get attention, and I've personally known someone who plays video games and has a crapload of free time and says that he's depressed. Why the members of MLPforums always have some sort of sob story is beyond me. I know that there ARE many depressed people, that's for sure, but I very much doubt that the majority are.

2. While I will admit there were some people that over reacted to alicorn Twilight there are plenty of legitimate concerns about a change which many critics of it including myself feel is a change made far too soon and without nearly enough buildup to justify it. As for Derpy what pissed off a lot of Derpy fans including myself was not so much her voice getting changed but that Derpy's potential to be used to reach out to people that are seen as different was killed thanks to the over reaction of parents and busy bodies who know nothing about the show but still felt the need to butt in where they don't belong.

Quite. Alicorn Twilight is a big change and you have every right to complain about it, but must it blow up into...shall we call it...a "shitstorm"? There are bronies who tried to shove a petition to get unicorn Twilight back in my face and those who called me a "traitor" for being completely nonchalant about Twilicorn. That might be the minority, but they're really quite vocal and it's not something that non-bronies will just not notice.

Oh, and the Derpygate thing...ugh. So tired of trying to... Derpy did not even get removed from that scene, her voice simply changed and that did no harm whatsoever, and yet bronies reacted as if their mother had died or something. Derpy, however her fans may see her, was presented in the Last Roundup as a comedy character, something for people to laugh at, and also part of the reason why Applejack wanted to give the prize money to Ponyville. She is not presented as some symbol of rebellion for disabled people, and I don't get why people think that, I really don't.

3. Nobody is holding a gun to their heads and forcing them to see any of that so if they anyone that has a problem with that can kiss my ass.

Well, sometimes they run across art like this accidentally, y'know? Google or deviantART search, and you just might find a mix of a pony and a Pokemon in the mass of art that a non-brony might actually want to see.

I must look really stupid defending haters, but frankly they have reasons to do so.

I find it extremely amusing that the majority of bronies--or everyone, really--apparently have a "depressing" life and complain that nobody cares for them. I, frankly, think that many of them are just trying to get attention, and I've personally known someone who plays video games and has a crapload of free time and says that he's depressed.

Some of them maybe but you unless you know them personally you can't really know for sure if that is in fact the case. The majority of bronies having this is stretching it a bit though as on a forum in general you are more likely see "everything is going to hell I don't know what to do" than "everything is going great, I couldn't be happier" not because there are more people that feel that way but because if everything is going great than what is there to discuss?

Quite. Alicorn Twilight is a big change and you have every right to complain about it, but must it blow up into...shall we call it...a "shitstorm"? There are bronies who tried to shove a petition to get unicorn Twilight back in my face and those who called me a "traitor" for being completely nonchalant about Twilicorn. That might be the minority, but they're really quite vocal and it's not something that non-bronies will just not notice.

Yes I disagree with changing her back because you can't fix lazy writing with more lazy writing and because of that will not sign any such petition. Going through that must have been very annoying, it probably would have taken every last ounce of restraint not to punch them in the face.

Well, sometimes they run across art like this accidentally, y'know? Google or deviantART search, and you just might find a mix of a pony and a Pokemon in the mass of art that a non-brony might actually want to see.

So what? I accidentally run into all sorts of things that have nothing to do with what I was looking for, search engines are not perfect and it can be a bit of an annoyance at times.

She is not presented as some symbol of rebellion for disabled people, and I don't get why people think that, I really don't.

It is not so much that she is a symbol of rebellion but that many people who are seen as different disabled or not identify with her because she is a bit different due to her wall eyes and slightly clumsy nature. As an individual with Autism I am one of these people because I know exactly what it is like to have people single you out and stereotype you. I know Derpy has not been confirmed one way or the other to be disabled but this is still very personal for a lot of us and I really wish the Derpy critics would have respected that a bit more. It is that her voice got changed that upset me it is the reason and the fact that the critics have killed any chance Derpy may have had for more character development because they complained without even bothering to ask the opinions of the people they claim to be speaking for.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy

People tend to be afraid of what they don't understand. In the case of the brony community, some don't get it and assume bronies are a bunch of deviants and outcasts. I assume the hate generally stops once people learn about what the community is really like and better understand it.  

Haters gona Hate. But in all seriousness most anti-brony feelings stem from our social deviance. We are a group of people who say its ok to like a show meant for little girls. Haters are often so blinded by the concepts of what is normal and what is not that society shoves down their throat that they cannot understand people with different ideas. Also the few haters i have met were all pretty unintelligent and brainwashed by mainstream media and culture, so is dont worry too much about hate.

post-13343-0-29625500-1364658924.gif

• Brohoof 1

This is actually an easy question to answer. We're different. In todays society, if you like something different from whatever is mainstream at the moment, you'll be singled out. I don't face this problem a lot because I can be very intimidating to people at times. Once, someone decided to make fun of me for listening to punk/post-hardcore and I got up and made myself look as if I were ready to break his everything, somhe backed down and thats it. I'm not even tall or buffed, 5"7-5"8 and 154lbs.

I think that there's some truth to what you say for haters with a particular online presence, but I don't know if it's true for *everyone*.  There are plenty of people who don't go to deviantArt, read Youtube comments, or go to places like 4Chan and other anime or gaming based message boards, and still seem to have... let's say an uncomfortable reaction to boys or men watching ponies.  And for *that* I think there are a number of reasons, most of which have already been explored in this thread.  That people don't like those who are different, the socially ingrained idea that adults shouldn't like something childlike, or that men shouldn't like female oriented entertainment, etc.  That's all part of the "hate" that some bronies receive, and I don't think that the reasons you mentioned above cover all the bases. 

If the prevailing thought was that "Bronies are annoying," then yeah I'd agree with you.  But that's only half the case.  The rest of the time it's that bronies are pedophiles/"fags"/emotionally stunted man-children, which I don't think has anything to do with the reasons listed above.

It's because they are narrow-minded and fixed in the fact that this show is for young girls. They use that "You're gay", argument, which is completely defenseless. They are ignorant and stick to traditional thinking instead of opening their minds to the new ideas. This is what causes hate to start. The narrow-mindedness of somebody can affect a community, but just saying the wrong things. 

well from personal experience as a minimal hater (not going on pony vids and not being a scumbag)

their are a few reasons

• it is a girls show
  • it is odd
  • inhuman
  • downright "wrong"
  • abit of obsession
  • kept getting in the way of my video's 

but most of them just want attention

We're pretty damn annoying, we don't just get the hate out of nowhere.

Now, that's not always the case, but it's pretty common.

I mean, i got a lot of shit for having a pony avatar, it was funny though, i just laughed at it, rather than get all butthurt and whiny, made them look like idiots :3

• 1 month later...

I have a youtube account, and when ever i go to a pony video ill encounter a flame war started by a comment saying "bronies are gay faggots" and it makes no scene, what is their point and why are they so unaccepting and intolerant over us? please reply and say what you think.wink.png   

Trolls.

Trolls want reactions, they feed off our reactions. If a brony flips out over a comment like that, then that brony is simply feeding the trolls. As the internet phrase goes; "Don't feed the trolls" 

In other words, just ignore them. No matter how much we try to make them stop, they'll just keep doing it.

• Brohoof 8

Well, I think the only people that attack us are either trolls or jerks. As others have said, it's usually us, trying to shove MLP into peoples faces. Not everyone's a Brony, but it's been a while since I've seen someone attack Bronies without us doing/daying something to them before.

• Brohoof 1

Most people don't care. The belief by some Bronies that all non-Bronies are anti-Bronies just isn't true. There's two types of anti-bronies.

1) The ones who deliberately seek out and comment negatively on MLP videos/content, usually on YouTube  to garner a response they think is humorous. Just ignore 'em and they wouldn't do it. No reaction, no entertainment for them.

2) The type who either accidentally stumbled upon an MLP thing online, or were sent there by a Brony friend of theirs, usually without much choice. This type I have more understanding for, I mean, some Bronies DO cram MLP down people's throats unwillingly, and so you'd better expect to get hated on if you do that! And the others simply don't understand what the deal is with MLP, and so usually their initial reaction is to belittle the fandom; I know many Bronies (myself included) once did this. 

I don't mind group 2 haters, since they have their reasons or simply don't know any better, its the trolls from group 1 I dislike, and the best solution is simply to ignore them.

• Brohoof 3

>YouTube comments section

This one shouldn't be that surprising. After all, the comments section of any YouTube video can make anyone numb from either laughing so much at the "arguments" taking place or from continually face palming so hard. Take whatever is said with a grain of salt on this one.

• Brohoof 3