Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unicorns, pegasus and earth ponys. Can they all become alicorns?

Artist-Sky

Hello everyone! This is a question I've had itching and me and decided to put it on the forums. My question is can all the pony races become alicorns? In "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell" it says Cadence was a Pegasus turned into an alicorn (I have not read the book. Just heard about this part.) But, this could be only in the book.

We know from Twilight becoming an alicorn that unicorns CAN become alicorns and up until today I thought only unicorns can become alicorns. If the book and the show have a different story of whether Cadence was unicorn/pegasus/earth pony  then there is a possibility she wasn't even a unicorn or Pegasus, instead she was an earth pony. In "A Canterlot Wedding" flashbacks show Cadence WITH wings AND a horn so she was an alicorn when twilight was young.

As far as I know, Princess Celestia and Luna were born alicorns so they don't really help with any evidence. Since the show never talks about Cadence's alicorn story and the book does, I think I believe that Pegasus can become alicorns and if Pegasus can become alicorns, I would assume earth ponies can, too.

So my conclusion is that ALL the pony races can become alicorns. What's your theory?

Yes, I do believe earth ponies can become alicorns, because it'd be some weird form of racism if Hasbro randomly decided that regular earth ponies aren't worthy of ascension. I also think that bat ponies can become alicorns, because it'd look sick and the universe would be horribly cruel if it said no to bat winged alicorns.  

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I bet there were a lot of alicorns in when Luna and Celestia were kids. Then they all disappeared and Celestia and Luna wanted to find them all again, so they save Equestria and created two more alicorns to secretly help them find the rest of the alicorns. All of the original alicorns were alicorns. Of course Hasbros is not going to be racist! Of course they're going to include alicorns... I mean earth ponies.

Edited by Star Ruby

Well I'm guessing that if an Earth Pony achieved the same things as Twilight it would basically lead to the same outcome but learning how to fly and learning spells would be very difficult!  :o

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I bet there were a lot of alicorns in when Luna and Celestia were kids. Then they all disappeared and Celestia and Luna wanted to find them all again, so they save Equestria and created two more alicorns to secretly help them find the rest of the alicorns. All of the original alicorns were alicorns. Of course Hasbros is not going to be racist! Of course they're going to include alicorns... I mean earth ponies.

Alright, alright, alright, how about this:  When Celestia and Luna were young, thousands of years ago, there were tons of alicorns everywhere.  There was even a high council of alicorns in Canterlot.  Then, one day during the modern era, Celestia and Luna discover a young alicorn, the most powerful ever born.  She had no father, and was seemingly conceived by magic.  They train her in the ways of magic, but the young alicorn begins showing signs of fear, hatred, and darkness within her.  When Anaki.. I mean the alicorn grows up, she turns evil and becomes the apprentice of King Sombra.  She kills all other alicorns in Equestria.  She also has a foal--Twilight Sparkle.  Celestia and Luna go into hiding, and are the only surviving alicorns.  They hide Twilight away with adopted parents and bide their time until Twilight comes of age and can confront her mother and restore balance to the once great alicorn race.

Yeah, anyway I'll have to agree that anypony can become an alicorn if they meet the requirements.  And, of course, the requirements are not some set-in-stone, specific thing.  It's more like finding your cutie mark.  Nopony can tell you how to do it.  It's just something that has to come from within.  On a similar note, I've always wondered about the correlation between alicorns and princesses.  It seems that all alicorns on the show are princesses as well, but is that just a coincidence or due to the fact that there are so few alicorns?  Is "Princess" some kind of rank?  An appointed position?  Can a pony be an alicorn without being a prince/princess?  Can a pony be a prince/princess without being an alicorn?  I'm going to have to say yes, a pony can be either one without being the other.  An alicorn is an actual race, but I would argue that that the title of prince/princess is given by an authority figure, like being knighted by royalty irl.

Edited by Justin_Case001
  • Brohoof 2

Well, forgive me as I may not know about certain things in S4 as I haven't watched a good chunk of it(Don't spoil it for me please, at worst just mention the existence of answers in S4) but it is kind of unclear how Alicorns are made even after Twilight's becoming one. 

I mean she apparently created a new type of magic combining her friendship, as well as magic(Or something like that) and that somehow ties into her becoming a Princess, and thus an Alicorn, but who exactly preformed the transformation? Well frankly it's kind of hard to say.

Considering that friendship is magic in the show, I assume that becoming an Alicorn doesn't necessarily require just magic magic, but maybe can involve different types of magic, like the magic of friendship.

It's even possible that the other Alicorns present in the show become Alicorns via different types of magic, for instance, maybe Cadence became an Alicorn through the magic of love somehow. It's just a sketchy theory, but regardless I don't think that the magic has to be the unicorn variety of magic.

However, I would assume some type of magic would be required.

It's also possible however that other Alicorns such as Celestia can grant other ponies the ability to become Alicorns, but then that raises the question of how Luna and Celestia became Alicorns, or how the first Alicorn became such, as if only Alicorns can do whatever spell is required, well then how do we get our first Alicorn?

This is all just kinda speculation though, I could have missed some details as I'm a bit out of shape on my MLP knowledge, but hopefully someone atleast finds this mildly insightful.

Well I'm guessing that if an Earth Pony achieved the same things as Twilight it would basically lead to the same outcome but learning how to fly and learning spells would be very difficult!  :o

While Earth ponies technically do have two new abilities to learn as opposed to the one if a Pegasi or Unicorn becomes an Alicorn, I doubt it would be anymore difficult to adjust to than it was for Twilight. 

I imagine that flying and using magic(Well more so flying, of course with the power of an Alicorn at least simple magic would be mostly simple) are somewhat instinctual, and when the pony in question becomes an Alicorn, they kind of gain some ability to learn these new techniques, while they may not be amazing at first, I assume they can learn how to with a little practice, so I imagine it wouldn't be a huge endevour.

Of course that's all mostly theories, but I just thought i'd bring it up. 

Wasn't the requirement for becoming an alicorn was being a master at your special talent? Twilight mastered friendship, so she became an alicorn. Cadance mastered instilling love in everypony's hearts, so she became an alicorn