Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Fall of Andalasia ~Book 1~

RunsWithSquirlz

Adrass.

Conflict raged in Adrass' head, though not quite over the argument the rest were involved in. On one hand, he felt that he needed to leave messages that his apprentice might follow, should she be behind them somewhere as he had hoped. On the other... whomever was following them might well find them first - or worse, alter them. He was torn, but scavenged a piece or charcoal from the fire and scratched a small note into the back of a nearby tree.

'Do not engage. Cover scent. Tread softly. Deny any trace.'

That would have to do - would she find it? If she still tracked like he had taught her it would be found in minutes.

He slunk back towards the confrontation.

"Fine." The hunter stated. "But I have work to do, and dont intend to die today, nor tomorrow or any other day. You can wait to die if you want, but I'm leaving."

The flesh might have healed, but the marks of his coat where the wolf had bitten down were clear enough, and the blood only served to worsen the effect. A shame - what had been a fine looking piece of tailoring was quickly becoming as torn, bloodstained and dirty as his last. It seemed that the iconic 'worn' appearance of the hunter just came naturally.

With one hand in his pocket, he idly thumbed through the vials while he spoke - getting used to their feel. It had been disastrous, pullubg the wrong ones at the wrong time - better to know by touch than not at all, and that learning started now. Wolvesbane had proven useful, and he still had most of the two bottles remaining. If it's most outlandish rumors were true, then he had no doubts that the simpler ones were as well.

His people were raised to be resourceful: to overcome so called 'impossible' odds. Perhaps not exactly like this but...

His other hand held the revolver. It was heavy, but comfortably so. No doubt it would prove invaluable - and something to be highly guarded. Such a weapon in the wrong hands: if armies could be handed these it would spell disaster for all involved. A shame the engineer was no longer with them: the hunter had an idea that he would have enquired about, had it's creator still be there to ask.

"So, if you want to sit here and cry, be my guest. I have one person to protect, and won't lose any sleep if the rest of you choose to stay.

Edited by Cinder

Helena sighed and checked her bolts, noticing that there were only about six or so left. She took her crossbow off her wrist and placed it inside her near-empty quiver, making sure it was secured tightly. She wouldn't want it falling off anytime soon. Looking at the wolf statue, she moved her hand over its back and gently began to rub her hand back and forth across the metal. Even though she knew it was magical metal, for some reason, wherever she touched it felt like real, silver-coloured fur.

@@Torrent505

"I don't know about you lot, but I'm going to do what I do best. If our only choices are running or fighting, then I'd rather run. Point me in the direction of the next town we're meant to be at and I'll be there in a heartbeat." Helena said casually, looking at Lance since he was the one who knew the forest the best.

Edited by Dji

Dresden was only half paying attention to the augment, he knew that no matter what they choose, run or fight, they might not make it. Especially if they were being followed by a pack, that silver liquid seemed to be their weakness; he looked at the wolf statue that had drooled the silver liquid, Dresden then looked at his hands could he...?

It seemed we were going to try and run, given that I now knew there were well over a hundred of these beasts it seemed like a viable course of action. "Well run it is." I said merely voicing my thoughts. I continued to look out into the forest and prepare for our escape.

@@Shadow Dancer,@@Dji, @, @@Sanctified Absence, @@Torrent505, @@Alex Kennedy, @@RunsWithSquirlz,

"Guys wait I think I have a plan," Dresden went over and picked up the wolf statue. "We know their weakness is silver, and this little guy drools liquid silver; maybe I could control the silver make a shield around us, that would stop the Lycans dead in their tracks. THough I don't know if I can control it or how long I can keep a shield up."

"It'd be far too risky Dresden." Whisper replied lightly. Having just pulled away silently to observe the argument. She felt terrible. It was her fault that the wolf got away, she had gotten overexcited and neglected to kill it entirely.

"We need to run and find shelter. Maybe an old shack or something..." she offered.

Tugg grunted as he hauled himself off the dead wolf. He shook out his fur, throwing bits. Tulla sighed while rubbing her temple "Running is the best option. Those wolves will be on us fast. We have to leave. Now."

Adrass.

Even now they stood and talked - always arguing and never taking action. Adrass shook his head - still filled with warmth and focused confidence from what he could only presume to have been the luck potion. It was a miracle that most of them had gotten this far in the first place.

He withdrew the same bottle of pungent sludge that he had treated his bite with just moments ago from his coat, unstoppered it and emptied some out into his palm - proceeding to begin the foul smelling concoction into his coat. Beginning at the collar, he worked his way down to its base just below his knees. It was truly ruined beyond recognition now, but that was a simple fact of life.

This stuff could keep away humans with its smell alone, never mind Wolves. He reflected with a slight smirk.

The bottle was almost empty - it's vile contents now soaking into the once fine coat. Keeping the full bottle safely hidden away, he thrust the remainder of the bottle in the direction of the princess, he raised his brow.

"You're not going to like this." He said simply as he stepped towards her.

"What is it?" The princess asked, slowly outstretching her hand. Tulla quickly harnessed Tigg to the cart; 'tsking' over his wounds.

Whisper grabbed the bortle and uncorked it, sniffing its contents. Her nose scrunched in fear as she turned away and nearly gagged "Ugh! It's foul! Just terrible!"

As I waited for the others to pick an action and commit to it. I figured it was a simple set of choice's, run and try to keep away from the pack or stay and try to fight off the entire pack and hope we kill the Alpha during the fight and gain the packs respect through force. But either way time was not a luxury we had.

"We really don't have much time before the choice is made for us."

"Agreed," retreating from his own prison of a mind, Zaddion turned to the rest of the group just as Indicus had finished, "We have two choices, run or fight, the latter isn't preferable but if we remain here any longer we'll no longer have a choice," the Mage attempted to reason in the best way he knew how, through a colder logic rather than charisma, perhaps this would need rectification if they were to escape this forest alive... Not like that was going to happen.

"However it would be best to inform you that my Magick won't be of any use for the next few hours," he looked up into the treeline at the mysterious creature that had been following him all this time, it was impossible to not look back at the first time they had met, perhaps he would be able to use it in the next few crucial minutes. Praying to the Ancients that the crow understood their situation enough, he raised his arm as if to act for a perch, beckoning it to come down. "So, make the choice and any preparations you need, but I'd say we have less than 30 seconds before running is no longer an option."

Adrass.

"Smear as much as you can into your clothes - quickly." Adrass ordered the princess - now not being a time to deal with her petty protests and spoiled tantrums. "If you want to live, anyway. Just keep it away from your mouth - it's a deadly poison."

The 'softly softly' approach didn't seem to ever work properly: it was always too slow. No, he needed immediate action - which was usually easiest through threats.

"If you don't, you'll die in the next few minutes. Not even pleasantly or quickly I'd wager: they'll probably tear open your stomach first - while your still alive." The hunter stated. Strictly speaking, it wasn't like. "It might smell bad, but I'm pretty sure corpses smell worse. Now stop talking and do it!"

Edited by Cinder

The princess scowled at Adrass but heeded his words anyway. Reluctantly, she spread the rest of the bottles contents on herself. By the time she was done, Tulla had Tugg hitched and ready to go.

It took only a few seconds for their party to get running, leaving the temporary campsite in the dust. Tulla had no idea where to go and there were no clear paths in this forest. She found it easiest to let Tugg guide the way, he seemed to know where he was pulling the cart.

Whisper wanted to gag from the stench wafting from her clothes but she tried her best to keep from tumbling out the rambling cart. She kept Clarke and Finn close, peering over the edge to watch the trees whip past them. In the darkness behind them, she thought she could see the faint gleaming of eyes.

Howls resounded throughout the forest, one after another. They had their trail and sent the message among the pack.

Fresh meat.

Helena calmed down her howling silver wolf statue and picked it up, fascinated by how it turned into a statue. Placing the statue in her bag, she took off and easily ran alongside Tugg. Hearing the howls resound throughout the forest didn't put her mind at ease one bit. In fact, it made her even more on edge than usual. "These howls ... I think they summoned the entire pack!" Helena shouted unnecessarily.

I ran with the rest the constant running motion would have relaxed me if it weren't for the howls and yips of the werewolves behind us. I could not say I did not feel any fear of tiring and dying, but it was mute. I tried not to die but starting to think about it after this task I would just do what I used to, so death took really nothing away and it would destroy my other half as well.

My thoughts concluded, I paid attention to my surroundings and continued to run

Robert followed along with the others, trying to figure out what he could do. He only had one idea, and it might just make things worse. Maybe Lance would know.

@@Torrent505

"Lance, this is just a shot in the dark, but do you think maybe I could get the wolves to back off if I could make noise at the right pitch and frequency to unsettle them? Maybe use their sensitive hearing against them?"

@@RunsWithSquirlz @@Dji @@Alex Kennedy @@Sanctified Absence @@Flying Ace @ @@Shadow Dancer

Lance had started along with the others but he was busy glaring at Adrass as he tried to figure out exactly what he was sensing from the hunter.

Still he responded to Helena's question from moments before, "can't point you in the direction of the nearest shelter honey, the only town in these woods is Ashcreek and the only other shelter to be found here are the caves that the pack uses. They are a huge group split into smaller packs, we just destroyed the hunting pack for this territory so they are calling for help. There won't be many at first but the numbers will build as more and more of the hunting packs come, the longer those howls go on the larger numbers of them we'll see."

He drew his rapier twirling it expertly for a moment, held his other hand up in gesture to hold toward Robert, "something like that might work Tiger, but it would alert them to exactly where we are and draw them to the edges of comfortable hearing all around us. It would keep us safe for a time but the moment you stopped playing they would come at us from all sides and we have at least three days constant travel before we could get out, I don't believe you can play around 72 hours straight can you? But perhaps we need not fret as much as we have been..."

He quickened his pace and swung his blade so came to rest suddenly almost against Adrass's neck, "Hunter, what was that potion there? You've been hiding things from us and something is wrong inside you. (Just so no one is confused Lance senses the new ice magic Adrass is gaining but thinks it is the werewolf's curse). Maybe you don't understand what you're doing but I won't let you jeopardize me getting through this forest, so you better talk quickly while you still can."

@@Torrent505,

"Lance, dammit this is not the time nor the place to start threatening Adrass! How about we wait until we're somewhere safe and not about to be eating alive!" Dresden said gathering as much of the silver liquid as he can; it felt strange to him he could control it but it felt heaver and more sluggish. Hopefully both him and Robert could keep them at bey with their magics.

Weakened and bleeding, Zaddion was forced to put in no small amount of effort in order to keep up with the other members of his party. Ignoring the current conversation between his comrades, the Mage pondered his situation in cold silence. The inner reserved of Magick stored within both the Mark and himself were diminished, so conjuration was not an option until his body and Krystal naturally replenished their supply. Manipulation would be the only real option, but the very air and atmosphere of this place was thick with a Magick he was not truly attuned to, the most prominent that he could call upon being Shadow, and element that would not prove particularly effective against this opponent.

Gazing at the blade he held in his hands for a moment, the Mage pondered as to whether or not he would be useful to the group through such means. Could he really perform well with these weapons? Nay, he was not skilled with weaponry in the slightest, perhaps matching Whisper as the least experienced members of the party with such things. The very fact that he caught the dagger earlier surprised him, for finesse and agility had often abandoned him before. His mind turned to the last resort, the semi-attuned Krystal dust in a pouch.

Such a fine dust, so filled with Light that was birthed from Zaddion's very own form, would he be willing to sacrifice the past few days of work if need be? There was enough Light stored within these small crystals to save one or two of the party from a killing blow, and it was concentrated enough so that manipulation might be a viable strategy. There was one other option, something that he would've only suggested if he absolutely trusted the other Mages with his life.

"What if I were to tell you two or more Mages could 'combine' their Magick to create power greater than either individual? Take heed that the risks would be far greater than most things a Mage could do alone."

Edited by Sanctified Absence

@@RunsWithSquirlz @@Dji @@Alex Kennedy @@Sanctified Absence @@Flying Ace @ @@Shadow Dancer

Lance kept the blade near Adrass's throat, addressing Dresden, "it is the time and the place, kid, you all are so worried about the werewolves but their territory is pretty spread out across the entire forest. The next hunting pack close enough to help could be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours off, the woods carry the howls and play tricks with sound. Believe me we aren't going to have a hundred wolves on us at once, it will be another hunting pack of five, then maybe two or three hunting packs, then probably four or five hunting packs then finally the core pack and all the others. They're spread all over some will still take a days travel to reach us. But if I'm right the hunter here has Wolvesbane and has been keeping it to himself, only now deciding to share with the princess. If we all wear it we can hopeful avoid them all together."

Lance stared into Adrass's eyes, "and that's not the only supposed use of wolvesbane, is it? Did you really think that myth would save you hunter? I can sense the new magic in you."

Adrass.

"I thought you'd be smarter than that, dancer." Adrass noted coldly - a lilt in his voice that suggested equal parts amusement and irritation.

"If I am not infected, then you're about to pick a fight that will do nothing but waste time and energy none of us have to spare..." He blinked, shaking his head briefly as he did. "... and If I was infected - as impossible as that might be - do you really thing you would stand a chance with your toothpick there? You couldn't kill me while I was only half alive: do you think you'd fare better against me while I'm not only healthy, but fuelled by a dark posession and primal rage?"

It was all a matter of maintaining a cool indifference: he'd forgotten that, until recently. The fortune flowing through his veins made it easier to fall back on the old ways - the ways from before everything was so complicated.

The hunter stepped towards Lance - feeling the tip of the blade press against his skin.

"What you can 'sense' is no more than Felix Felicis - a luck potion taken alongside Wolvesbane to ensure that I didn't fall foul to a fate worse than death. A precaution which was no doubt unnecessary given the resilience of my people, but one I wasn't willing to leave to chance. As for the Wolvesbane, I've made it perfectly clear from the beginning that there is one person whom I must protect. The rest of you are expendable if necessary, and I'm not going to risk her life on the off chance it might save yours by spreading what little I have too thinly."

Raising his voice, he glanced around briefly.

"And on that note, might I add that every moment you waste with these petty attempts at turning this group upon itself is another moment that their deaths approach. Truly, your claim of being an ally is questionable at best. I'm certain that I'm not the only one to notice how quickly you turn on us..."

Helena blinked at the argument between Adrass and Lance. Knowing that they wouldn't listen to reason, Helena turned invisible and climbed up the nearest tree. From there, she jumped from branch to branch to try and find the nearest pack. If she could find it, then maybe the pair of them would see reason if they knew how close the pack was.

Tulla gritted her teeth in annoyance. Not knowing what to add to the conversation, she turned back to look at Whisper. The princess was stoic-faced, looking down at Clarke. "Princess..." Tulla tried to keep the bite from her words.

Whisper glanced up at her, eyes rising to meet Tullas. Tulla was the only one she truly trusted out of the whole group, as angry as she might have become and the non-stop bickering was getting them nowhere. Clarke had led them this way and Lance had brought them further, both of them they had just met and it was her own decision that brought them to this. 

"Tulla...animals and the forest are your domain. Not mine. Or anyone elses. You take point..." she muttered.

Tulla couldn't say she was satisfied but she couldn't deny feeling somewhat relieved "I don't know much about werewolves but if they are true to their namesake, what Lance says is true. Stink potion or not, there are likely other creatures in this blasted forest that will do us harm. We have no idea how long it would take us to break the treeline and get to safety. So we find the old village and shelter there."

"Now pretty boy...Lance. Please tell me you have some idea of where it is. At least point us in the right direction so we can get moving to somewhere safe."

Edited by RunsWithSquirlz

• 2 weeks later...

@@RunsWithSquirlz @@Alex Kennedy @@Sanctified Absence @@Flying Ace @ @@Shadow Dancer

Lance scowled at Adrass removing the rapier from his neck to sheath it, "so you blatantly admit that you would sacrifice any of us? You're purposefully putting EVERYONE but you and your ward in danger of being not only being killed but infected and turned into a monster? AND you have the gall to question me as an ally?!"

He shook his head, "I expected more of you hunter, some type of nobility or honor, but I guess that only belongs in tales of fiction and romantic lies to sway others to your order."

Lance began to move away from the group, "all my warnings are ignored, all my attempts to save you fools are taken as insults or threats; I'm not welcome here I was a fool to think this would work." He pointed deeper into the woods, speaking to Tulla "you wish to walk into Ashcreek, Rough? You want to walk into hell? Be my guest it's a day to two days travel that direction, even from here I can sense it's dark power. But WE are done."

He turned at the edge of sight, half in shadows, "Go ahead lead the wolf pack into the demon's den, I have done nothing to offend either, I have earned the lycan's respect before. With you distracting the spirits and the attracting the wolves you'll serve your for me purpose anyways. Guide yourselves, I'm finding my own way. Goodbye." The dancer gracefully slipped completely into the darkness.

@@Dji

Suddenly as Helena prepared to make her next jump a young girl with beautiful long golden hair swung to stare into her face, "Hi! Wanna play?!" The girl's face was upside down and she hung with her knees clinging tight to a branch above. The longer Helena looked the more obviously translucent the girl became.

"I never really get to climb tree's but it is a lot of fun." Something about the girl's wide grin was made sinister, perhaps it was that upside down it looked more like a snarling frown.

"Let's play tag up here! I'm it!" the girl giggled as she reached a pale corporeal arm out towards Helena's face.

@@Torrent505

As Helena was about to jump to the next tree, a girl with golden hair swung down, blocking her view of her next jump. This caused Helena to rotate her arms wildly for her to keep her balance but managed to get it back. Having done so, Helena laid a palm against the tree trunk and looked at the girl. She cringed at the girl's loud question but softened when she realised that the girl was becoming more translucent the longer she stared. "Play? I-" She stopped as she realised the girl didn't hear and reached a ghostly hand to her face.

Leaning backwards so as not to be touched, Helena thought 'Fine. If you want to play, then we'll play.' She thought grimly and leapt backwards, catching the branch above her in her hands. Climbing up, she ooked down at the hanging girl. "If you want to play tag, then you're going to have to catch me." Helena grinned and vanished, immediately using her speed in combination to zip from tree to tree. 'I don't know what would happen if that ghost girl touched me so I'd better not let it happen.'

I was to the point of almost actually showing my irritation, but like other times I bit it back and kept looking out for any dangerous creatures. I still had a job to do and I would do it. I just wandered if this group of misfits could actually stay together long enough to finish our objective, or we would become our own enemy and kill each other.

Edited by Shadow Dancer