Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Zygen

(edited)

This is just kinda a random topic that came to mind, and I just felt like putting out there because I wanted to see what kind of things people would say about it...

wait a minute isn't that the reason for like every topic? 

Maybe I am tired lol. 

*Ahem* but enough of Zygen getting sidetracked. 

So as the title suggests this is about teaching yourself to sing, I've been trying to teach myself to sing for a bit, not maybe as much productive practice as I probably should many times, but I want to learn to sing, and while I don't think I could do lessons due to the fact my parents wouldn't pay for it mostlikely, and I am not super comfortable with singing around a professional singer in the first place anyways, so I decided to take matters into my own hands. And try and see how much i could teach myself.

I'd like to also say that I play Trumpet for my highschool band, i've been playing that about 5-6 years, so I atleast have some form of musical experience. 

If it also means anything I recently started trying to teach myself guitar, and that's been going on i'd say around a few weeks. probably a month now. 

I can't say I've successfully taught myself any instrument on my own though, much less singing, but I've tried to.

I've kinda just did some research on the whole thing and tried to find some tips and see how many I'd actually remember and be able to apply. Obviously not all of it may be 100% correct, or I may still be doing certain things incorrectly, but I tried to combine my judgement and the knowledge from my research on the internet to see how much I could learn.

And as far as results go I think i've improved, i'm still honestly in my eyes only like half decent at best maybe, But atleast I think i am half decent where as before I'd consider myself pretty bleh. 

So I've made progress, the question is will I become good? Who knows.

I guess that's part of why I made this thread, to see if anyone else has tried to teach themselves to sing, or has done so and maybe succeeded, or if some people have taken lessons, or some people just feel lessons are the only real way to learn to sing, or whatever your thoughts are.

Maybe you just want to say that you'd like to learn, or something, although I feel like most people I know would like to be able to sing to some extent.

I can say I certainly enjoy singing, of course a lot of times I'm just singing for fun and not really to sound good, requires a lot more focus to sing well ;p. 

Plus I don't like to sing full out while the rest of my family is home, because I don't want them to think I'm annoying or anything, or just weird idk, or bad or something, not that the rest of my family really has any singing talent themselves(Well my stepdad has some I think, but still.)

Anyways enough of me rambling, (You can find plenty of that elsewhere.) Post away on the topic at hand, and have a good day!( Or night depending on what time it is when you read this and where you are and all that ;p.)

Edit: I decided to test out my range and if I did everything right my range is something like B2-C5. I'm not entirely sure how super accurate it is, but i'd say it's pretty close, give or take a note I guess. That's without Falsetto.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 2

I'd love to be able to sing well.  I'm probably the worst singer in the world.  I've always wished I could be a great singer and make money at it.  I don't really want to perform live, though.  I've always wished I could be a voice actor and do songs for animated movies/shows.  Like a singer for Disney movies or something.  That would be great.  But, alas, I suck big time.  I've tried to improve a little, just so I can sing in the shower a bit for my own enjoyment, but I just don't have what it takes at all.  I can only carry a melody if I sing really softly and don't project at all.  Even then, I probably only think I'm carrying a melody.  If I recorded myself and listened, I'd probably be disgusted.  The only song I can do justice is The Big Rock Candy Mountains, because the worse your melody is and more your voice cracks, the better it sounds.  It's suppose to be off key and crappy.  I have so much respect for singers, though.  It is so much harder than it looks.  Everything is so much harder than it looks.  I have enormous respect for anyone that can do anything well.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Well good luck Zygen, if you’re improving that’s a good thing :)

I have tried to improve my singing voice, but I didn’t get anywhere with my attempts, and anyway I am a musician but a great number of artists who I am inspired by don’t sing on there records but has someone else do it. And I think I’d find it easier to produce music without getting freaked out hearing myself singing :)

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

I'd love to be able to sing well.  I'm probably the worst singer in the world.  I've always wished I could be a great singer and make money at it.  I don't really want to perform live, though.  I've always wished I could be a voice actor and do songs for animated movies/shows.  Like a singer for Disney movies or something.  That would be great.  But, alas, I suck big time.  I've tried to improve a little, just so I can sing in the shower a bit for my own enjoyment, but I just don't have what it takes at all.  I can only carry a melody if I sing really softly and don't project at all.  Even then, I probably only think I'm carrying a melody.  If I recorded myself and listened, I'd probably be disgusted.  The only song I can do justice is The Big Rock Candy Mountains, because the worse your melody is and more your voice cracks, the better it sounds.  It's suppose to be off key and crappy.  I have so much respect for singers, though.  It is so much harder than it looks.  Everything is so much harder than it looks.  I have enormous respect for anyone that can do anything well.

Eh, I think a lot of people who think they are the worst singers in the world are not, Honestly if you try and fix a few things and keep trying to do so, i'm sure you could sing better, there are some nasty habits I find I have or had that are quite annoying to fix, but once you fix them they start to be almost automatic many times.

And I agree, I don't think i'd want to do anything live on stage really, that would possibly end up more like a celebrity type of thing, and I don't think i'd like being swarmed by people(If such a thing was ever possible anyways) I value my alone time as much as I do my people time, but I need both.

Voice acting sounds like lots of fun, I already like regular acting and while I don't do it a ton really besides a few homeschool plays I did back when I was homeschooled, and a few other random skits for different things, it was fun. Voice acting however I find to be much harder than acting, because while I'm scared to death at speaking in public, I can act like a total fool with acting, however with voice acting you have to learn how to alter your voice and speak that way, and well it isn't as easy as it would seem that's for sure.

I love singing in the shower mostly because it makes me sound much better partially because I can actually project some more instead of being super quiet like in my room or whatever for fear of anyone hearing me. Atleast until someone knocks on the door and is like "Concerts over!" and I'm like, darnit. ;p.

And actually I find that projecting enough usually makes you sound better, I mean even though I may think I can hit certain notes soft, in reality when I record myself they normally don't sound all that great. 

But when I'm home alone and projecting to the sky or something, then I tend to find I sound much better, much clearer, and I can even hit higher notes I find easier. Or lower ones too. 

That said It's true that recordings are going to sound worse than you typically hear yourself, many times I don't like my self recorded at all, so I have to make sure I don't let how I sound to me fool how I actually sound since on recording is how you actually sound(assuming you have clear audio quality) 

Regardless If it helps any I was really really bad before I started trying to improve, but I feel I have certainly improved from being total crap, even if my improvement has been from total crap to only maybe half way decent at best, it is still an improvement even if I've still got a long ways to go.

So maybe with enough practice and dedication you can improve! Along with a little research maybe too. Confidence also seems to make quite an impact in singing, as well as emotion behind it, same goes even for when I play trumpet. 

And yeah very true, many things are much harder than they seem. But I suppose if it was easy everyone would do it, and it wouldn't be that impressive ;p. 

I can't say I sing well yet honestly, partially due to my perfectionist attitude, and also because I do still have a ways to go honestly. But atleast I have improved.

Well good luck Zygen, if you’re improving that’s a good thing :)

I have tried to improve my singing voice, but I didn’t get anywhere with my attempts, and anyway I am a musician but a great number of artists who I am inspired by don’t sing on there records but has someone else do it. And I think I’d find it easier to produce music without getting freaked out hearing myself singing :)

Thanks, and yeah that's true, still got a ways to go, but atleast I'm not wasting my time.

It took me a while really to notice much of any improvement with my voice, and honestly I didn't notice much until I compared some recordings from a while ago compared to now. 

And I suppose there is certainly no rule you have to sing on your own records or anything. Infact in many ways collaborating with other artists who do different things better can result in a better product in the end.

I've never done any collaborations mostly because I don't compare to most actual singers, and i've also got no real experience with song writing or creating of instrumentals to songs or anything of that nature, but I am learning guitar which means maybe I'll be able to provide that and maybe do some covers or maybe even write songs of my own.

I guess i'll see in time ;p.

Good luck with your stuff to by the way! :D

• Brohoof 2

I guess you can say I've been teaching myself to sing for a while. Not really teaching though I'm not studying music or anything. I know nothing about musical notes and stuff. On my own time I like to sing, and over time I've gotten better. I'm not bad, but I don't think I'm gonna be singing in front of others anytime soon... But I still need work though. My voice is deep but I am capable of hitter higher notes, though not super high, but at times I have a tough time sorta transitioning. It also depends on what and how I'm singing.

• Brohoof 1

I've also taught myself to sing. It takes a lot of work 

Awesome! And yeah it does seem to take quite a bit of work, I probably need to put more effort into improving things honestly instead of just singing for the heck of it.

I guess you can say I've been teaching myself to sing for a while. Not really teaching though I'm not studying music or anything. I know nothing about musical notes and stuff. On my own time I like to sing, and over time I've gotten better. I'm not bad, but I don't think I'm gonna be singing in front of others anytime soon... But I still need work though. My voice is deep but I am capable of hitter higher notes, though not super high, but at times I have a tough time sorta transitioning. It also depends on what and how I'm singing.

Well I can't say I've done a lot of music studying or matching like notes with singing, more so I do sing on my own time, and try and be aware of certain things and try to change them. Like if my throat is open, and i'm breathing correctly, stuff like that. Other times I just sing for the heck of it.

But really I haven't even gone on my keyboard and matched pitches while singing much, and all my music theory knowledge is simply from trumpet.

I think really just singing on your own time, atleast to an extent seems to help, of course I'm sure there's a point where you have to get more technical or something.

And I think that even professional singers still think they need work, I don't think you can really ever hit perfection on singing, or anything really.

My natural speaking voice is kinda high I find. Compared to most guys, so therefore i'd have to assume I have a higher vocal range, but I've never really officially found out what my vocal range exactly is. 

I actually have some issues though with like mid range stuff, and like when I'm singing along to something sometimes I feel like I lose what octave i'm suppose to be in and stuff, it's kinda weird and hard to explain, I think it may just partly be because I'm hearing my voice compared to whatever else i'm singing to though. 

Plus I'm not entirely sure how much of my vocal range right now is what would be considered usable, so there's another thing ;p.

I have a fairly lackluster singing voice, I'm fairly good at keeping my pitch correct but my voice is just naturally kind of weak and blah no matter what range and inflection I try to give it. I didn't really teach myself because I've been in choir for school for a long time, that said I've picked up a few basic guidelines that help improve most singing voices whether solo or in a group.

Think you said you record yourself? Good on you, it's important to carefully and objectively (as possible) study yourself to get improvement really going.

One of the keys to singing with good tone is relaxing, the most versatile and just generally good singers sing with zero strain. Watch yourself in a mirror and make sure you're not visibly tensing your throat muscles when you sing. The power of your voice should be sourced from your abdomen, I remember I'd literally tense up there and hold it steady for long periods of time (singers have strong cores as a rule, even if they're otherwise pasty!) and it would help me with breath control and relaxed tone significantly.  The more your mouth is open the more mature the tone, while this isn't always what you're going for in a song a mature tone is generally easier to work with because it has less shrill/grating qualities. Going about singing like you're just doing a really protracted yawn has worked for me before.

Enunciation. Over enunciating the 'p and 's' sounds gets really noticeable and jarring really quickly, sometimes it even helps to slur over those sounds especially if you're doing group work. Not necessary solo but just keep it in mind. Everything else needs clarity, diction, keep your breath strong and hit every single syllable (without turning things monotone of course) clearly and with distinction so your words don't become a trainwreck.

• Brohoof 1

I have a fairly lackluster singing voice, I'm fairly good at keeping my pitch correct but my voice is just naturally kind of weak and blah no matter what range and inflection I try to give it. I didn't really teach myself because I've been in choir for school for a long time, that said I've picked up a few basic guidelines that help improve most singing voices whether solo or in a group.

Think you said you record yourself? Good on you, it's important to carefully and objectively (as possible) study yourself to get improvement really going.

One of the keys to singing with good tone is relaxing, the most versatile and just generally good singers sing with zero strain. Watch yourself in a mirror and make sure you're not visibly tensing your throat muscles when you sing. The power of your voice should be sourced from your abdomen, I remember I'd literally tense up there and hold it steady for long periods of time (singers have strong cores as a rule, even if they're otherwise pasty!) and it would help me with breath control and relaxed tone significantly.  The more your mouth is open the more mature the tone, while this isn't always what you're going for in a song a mature tone is generally easier to work with because it has less shrill/grating qualities. Going about singing like you're just doing a really protracted yawn has worked for me before.

Enunciation. Over enunciating the 'p and 's' sounds gets really noticeable and jarring really quickly, sometimes it even helps to slur over those sounds especially if you're doing group work. Not necessary solo but just keep it in mind. Everything else needs clarity, diction, keep your breath strong and hit every single syllable (without turning things monotone of course) clearly and with distinction so your words don't become a trainwreck.

Yeah I record myself at times, not always, but every so often, especially if I am home alone and going to be full out singing. And I have a pretty good quality mic and so I can get a pretty accurate representation of how I sound. Of course I don't always know exactly how to fix things, but usually it can help, I could probably go for analyzing a bit more and maybe even recording more often, but regardless.

Relaxing seems to be one of the harder things for me to do for sure, because I do feel like I get tense a lot of times while singing, and it can be hard even when i get relaxed to stay that way. It doesn't always really make sense how I am meant to relax certain ways though. But I do tend to get tensed up whether it be my throat being tense, or just sometimes feel closed off, or what. 

And by throat muscle i assume your talking about the like ball thing in your throat(Or something like a ball) atleast that's the only muscle I can visible see really ;p. I will have to try that though since I luckily have a mirror in my room. 

And singing from your abdomen ok. I might have to try tensing up that myself. Heck my brother is doing football and has a bunch of weights, so maybe I'll work on some core stuff and get some muscles there that way too ;p.

as for breath control I use to have a lot more troubles because I would a lot of times start doing backwards breathing if I wasn't paying attention(where your stomach contracts when you breath in, and expands when you breath out) but I feel like i've got better about breathing correctly, and started to get better with breathing deeply from my diaphram and stuff. It also helps that because I play Trumpet and have to breath correctly for that, I get practice from both, and so I can learn that one not entirely alone. 

I probably need to improve on opening my mouth more for much of my singing, especially when I'm not really singing full out my mouth will not be all that open. 

I've heard that almost yawning is sort of helpful for singing too, I also heard that keeping your throat open like when your yawning will help you to understand how your throat should feel when it is infact open.

Enunciation is something I don't probably do enough a lot of times, but i've tried to focus on doing more when I remember to. Because even when i'm just regularly talking I don't always enunciate as much as I should, and it's especially important for singing. 

And I always got kind of confused on how I am suppose to approach different sounds and stuff. Like how your not suppose to have really much of any air in your nose, but you need your nose for certain sounds as well. It can be quite difficult to pay a ton of attention to each and every sound. I'll keep the thing with the "p" and "s" in mind. 

Thanks for all your tips by the way, I'll have to start writing stuff like this down, so I can try and remember it every time I try and practice improving my singing.

Thanks again!

I've also taught myself to sing in different styles. I can sing in classical style, with vibrato, a sort of rock style, with no vibrato, a sort of metal style, with or without vibrato. I'm a baritone but I could get up there. I could even do what I call "distorted falsetto", sort of like what the lead singer to AC-DC does in "Back in Black". 

In church, I use my classical style to make my voice sound more deep and hollow. When singing at a concert, I use the wide space as an advantage, as I could sing louder, which makes it easier to hit the higher notes without straining so much. THe problem is, I'm a stickler for pitch, since I have perfect pitch, and I always want to sing the exact note that the lead singer is singing. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I love singing. :D However I don't sound that great. I've been working on getting my voice better and such and I can certainly say I've made some progress! Not a lot but enough to encourage me to keep trying. :)

Edited by Felix
  • Brohoof 1

I've also taught myself to sing in different styles. I can sing in classical style, with vibrato, a sort of rock style, with no vibrato, a sort of metal style, with or without vibrato. I'm a baritone but I could get up there. I could even do what I call "distorted falsetto", sort of like what the lead singer to AC-DC does in "Back in Black". 

In church, I use my classical style to make my voice sound more deep and hollow. When singing at a concert, I use the wide space as an advantage, as I could sing louder, which makes it easier to hit the higher notes without straining so much. THe problem is, I'm a stickler for pitch, since I have perfect pitch, and I always want to sing the exact note that the lead singer is singing. 

Wow, lot's of different styles ;p. I've just been kind of trying to improve on my general singing, not in any particular style. Although my voice isn't really suited I think for like metal or anything. Maybe I could teach myself to at some point, but right now I'm more focused on getting decent in general at singing.

I don't know my range in particular, I keep meaning to find it out, although i'm not entirely sure how I would go about it, and how accurate I would be at determining it. 

And perfect pitch eh? That's pretty awesome, kind of wish I had perfect pitch at times, of course then again I've also heard it can be a real pain sometimes too.

I love singing. :D However I don't sound that great. I've been working on getting my voice better and such and I can certainly say I've made some progress! Not a lot but enough to encourage me to keep trying. :)

I love singing too :D. Sometimes I just sing for the heck of it, not really in the attempt of getting any better or anything, but just for fun. I do have times where I am more focused on working on bettering my singing for sure though. Although I suppose I could probably work harder really, or more efficiently to. 

And i'm glad to hear you've made progress! I mean I haven't become anything amazing yet for sure, but I have gone from being crappy, to atleast halfway decent. And once you get a little progress it certainly helps to motivate you to go for more progress!

Good luck and keep on striving to get better!

@@Zygen,

It's best if you check your range every now and then. I check my range by playing and singing along with basic five finger pattern scales in every key until I hit the first falsetto note. My current range starts at bass clef low C# and ends with middle F#. Adding falsetto takes it all the way up to soprano F#.  

• Brohoof 1

You have to find a chord that is comfortable to your vocal chord. Find what is most pleasurable to you. Drink lots of water, and do warm ups. post-27834-0-36798200-1404854099.jpg

That picture might not be the right one

• Brohoof 1

@@Zygen,

It's best if you check your range every now and then. I check my range by playing and singing along with basic five finger pattern scales in every key until I hit the first falsetto note. My current range starts at bass clef low C# and ends with middle F#. Adding falsetto takes it all the way up to soprano F#.  

Well, I haven't really done so yet, so maybe I should try to. 

And ok, i'll have to try that, although how do I know where my falsetto is? I don't really quite entirely understand falsetto. Sorry i'm not super knowledgeable on all the singing terms as I've taught myself, and only know certain things here and there.

@@Zygen,

Falsetto is the term used to describe such notes that don't normally belong in your regular range. They can be only achieved by singing a certain way. Some men have mastered this technique and can sing operas and other songs that normally a female would sing. When you sing falsetto, you feel a sensation in your head instead of your chest.  

• Brohoof 1

You have to find a chord that is comfortable to your vocal chord. Find what is most pleasurable to you. Drink lots of water, and do warm ups. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That picture might not be the right one

Yeah, I try to atleast not start on super high notes or anything, i try to start and try to remember to warm up some before singing on some stuff that I don't have much trouble with.

And I've tried to get better with drinking water more, especially when singing. I usually try to keep a bottle of water around in my room or something which I drink when i'm singing quite a bit ;p. I do find that it certainly helps with singing to drink water. Clears up stuff in my throat.

@@Zygen,

Falsetto is the term used to describe such notes that don't normally belong in your regular range. They can be only achieved by singing a certain way. Some men have mastered this technique and can sing operas and other songs that normally a female would sing. When you sing falsetto, you feel a sensation in your head instead of your chest.  

Oh ok, that sort of makes sense. Idk how well I'll be able to judge that depending on how strong the sensation is, but i'll try and feel for it or something. 

Thanks!

• Brohoof 1

@@Zygen,

Also, another good technique to practice is just harmonizing with your favorite songs. I sometimes practice this. They don't have to be vocal. I usually harmonize up a major 3rd (4 halfsteps from the original note) or a perfect fifth (7 half steps from the original note).  

• Brohoof 1

@@Zygen,

Also, another good technique to practice is just harmonizing with your favorite songs. I sometimes practice this. They don't have to be vocal. I usually harmonize up a major 3rd (4 halfsteps from the original note) or a perfect fifth (7 half steps from the original note).  

That sounds interesting, while idk how amazing my sense of pitch is that i'll be able to be exactly 4 half steps or 7 half steps from the original note, I guess I can certainly improve trying to do so.

Thanks again!

My tip? Listen to a Capella, especially college groups like On the Rocks or Outspoken (for the guys) or Divisi (for the gals). They usually have ranges that young people can hit, and you can learn a lot about music in general from hearing it done with only voices. I've learned how to beatbox because of a Cappella groups, and I can now sing at pretty much any range necessary for most songs.

• Brohoof 1

My tip? Listen to a Capella, especially college groups like On the Rocks or Outspoken (for the guys) or Divisi (for the gals). They usually have ranges that young people can hit, and you can learn a lot about music in general from hearing it done with only voices. I've learned how to beatbox because of a Cappella groups, and I can now sing at pretty much any range necessary for most songs.

Hm, Ok, I don't normally listen to a ton of a Capella besides a few i've listened to here and there(mostly covers of other songs done in a capella, but yeah.) I'll see about listening to some and see if I can learn anything ;p.

My friend beatboxes and tried to teach me a few things, but I didn't really catch on to most of it lol, but that's another topic I suppose. 

Thanks for the tip :D

@@Zygen,

Ok, so I quickly did a little range check, or atleast an attempt at one. And while idk how accurate I did it or if I did it right at all or anything but the lowest note I could get out was like the B right below the C below middle C(so like the B below C3 I think? i'm not super good at the musical notation stuff, hopefully that makes some type of sense.) and the highest was like either the C right above middle C (C5 I think?) or the B right below that(B4?) 

Does that sound right? realistic or correct at all? This is without falsetto(well atleast i believe so ;p.) i'm just curious if that sounds realistic or if I'm maybe doing something wrong?

Granted I probably could've warmed up a little more, but I assumed this would be atleast semi accurate

I just wanted to say that I decided to throw in my vocal range onto the OP(or atleast what I tested and have to assume is my vocal range based on my judgement) so I guess if anyones curious what is apparently my vocal range, well there you go ;p.

That is all I believe.