Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are MLP Gens 1- 4 tied together?

ManaMinori

Okay, so alicorns/winged unicorn ponies, existed in MLP before FiM.

How does that make pre-FiM tied together with FiM?

Until proven otherwise, I believe that the universe, story, lore of FiM is it's own separate thing, even with references to older characters from the My Little Pony brand.

have you taken a look at my post explaining the similarities to areas talked about or shown in previous gens to the g4 Equestria map, up above?

Not to mention places like Unicornia are outright stated to exist in the current, and past gens, so why wouldn't they be in the same world, if the exact same place exists- with unicorns inhabiting it?

have you taken a look at my post explaining the similarities to areas talked about or shown in previous gens to the g4 Equestria map, up above?

Not to mention places like Unicornia are outright stated to exist in the current, and past gens, so why wouldn't they be in the same world, if the exact same place exists- with unicorns inhabiting it?

Oh, now I see it. On page 1. The map

This is the closest I've seen anyone talk about continuity in MLP. Reminds me of the Legend of Zelda maps.

It could still just be a nod, tho, for all I know. 

As for Unicornia, locations with the same name don't indicate that those locations are canonically the same as opposed to rebooted verisons of those settings, unless there's something more suggesting continuity.

• Brohoof 1

To answer that question: G4 borrows a large chunk from older gens.

You mention Unicornia, but you forget to mention Ponyville: that was a town in G3: with friends Pinkie Pie, Scootaloo, Rainbow Dash, Sweetie Belle, Cheerlie, Rarity and others lived, and I think Spike the dragon voiced by a guy whose nothing like G4 Spike lived there to.

So there’s two places with exactly the same name? with characters with the same coat colours who all hang out and almost all have the same names?

(edited)

they are either in different time zones or different dimensions that's my best guess seeing how Ponyville is in G3 and G4 but still doesn't stop me from wanting to see Minty in a G4 episode  

Edited by PonygamesFluttershy

Oh, now I see it. On page 1. The map

This is the closest I've seen anyone talk about continuity in MLP. Reminds me of the Legend of Zelda maps.

It could still just be a nod, tho, for all I know. 

As for Unicornia, locations with the same name don't indicate that those locations are canonically the same as opposed to rebooted verisons of those settings, unless there's something more suggesting continuity.

then would you care to try and explain, if not the names, why the locations are so accurate and match up perfectly with the areas of G1? Places in two world could very likely have the same name, I suppose, but what of those places being in the same location as one another?

Example seen in the MLP 1986 movie compared to G4.

Flutter Valley and the areas around it.

There was a river nearby Flutter Valley (because two witches planned on using the water in it to flood the place and disrupt the Flutter Pony's festival). When Baby Lickety Split ran away from dream Valley (which could now be "Ponyville"), she wound up falling into a rocky gorge, which, I suspect is now "Ghastly Gorge", Reeka and Draggle later seems to be seem in a murky, foggy place with lots of dead trees, which could be the Bogg in the Everfree Forest, which back in g1 was known as Shadow Forest, that the gang had to pass through on the way to Flutter valley. Then after the forest, they has to climb up some steep rock walls in a chasm before they reached the valley (Rambling Rock Ridge?)

Celly and Luna's castle could've been erected where the Flutter Valley once was, because as you can see, it's right at the end of the Everfree forest, and Celestia could've sensed that the Sunstone, an artifact that ties in with her element and cutie mark, had once been there in generations past

Map_of_Equestria_April_2013.jpg

(edited)

ok, well, I guess the guys who host the MBS show answered my question, oddly enough.

And in response to anyone who denies that Gen 4 isn't related to past gens, then I advise you to read through the MLP IDW Micro Series 9 & 10. The mane 6 are background characters, and they relate their latest adventure of saving Flutter Valley to the townsponies

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff436/mummiesonmopeds/Misc/1_zpsc56c57bf.png[/img]

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff436/mummiesonmopeds/Misc/2_zps28790bd1.png[/img]

3_zps00b882b7.png

Edited by Nightmare Muffin

There are no sea ponies in the show but I remember something about something about the mane 6 got to a sea pony society named aquastria

The book Under the Sparkling Sea is a story about the Mane Six's visit to Aquastria. They also show them in the IDW comics #14 as part of the storyline.

The book Under the Sparkling Sea is a story about the Mane Six's visit to Aquastria. They also show them in the IDW comics #14 as part of the storyline.

I recall there being aqua type ponies in the IDW comics. I thought they were Merponies, rather than seaponies, though.

I recall there being aqua type ponies in the IDW comics. I thought they were Merponies, rather than seaponies, though.

It seems they're two different species, at least according to the book Under the Sea. I'm not sure how canon it is,though.

It seems they're two different species, at least according to the book Under the Sea. I'm not sure how canon it is,though.

meh. I consider it all canon. Whatever's being done by the qualifies comic artists/ show staff/ book writers ect. They know the characters, are professional, keep the characters in character, and so it's all canon to me.

meh. I consider it all canon. Whatever's being done by the qualifies comic artists/ show staff/ book writers ect. They know the characters, are professional, keep the characters in character, and so it's all canon to me.

It seems to be styled differently than the other books, and written by an author i've never heard of, which is why i'm not quite sure.

It seems to be styled differently than the other books, and written by an author i've never heard of, which is why i'm not quite sure.

edit* looked into it, and it seems to be a picture book instead of a novel, I have no idea about the canoncity regarding these.

edit* looked into it, and it seems to be a picture book instead of a novel, I have no idea about the canoncity regarding these.

thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

well since we've only seen places (and not even all of them, yet) inside of the country of Equestria, and there's still a whole world to be discovered, I'll hold it canon until the show claims otherwise.

• 4 weeks later...

No they're not. One thing is Dream Valley, the other is Equestria. 

Equestria has been cinfirmed to be a country. Dream Valley, on the other hoof, is a small place within the country- likely renamed, as the Everfree Forest has been, through the years.

Equestria has been cinfirmed to be a country. Dream Valley, on the other hoof, is a small place within the country- likely renamed, as the Everfree Forest has been, through the years.

I was obviously referring to the places where the main characters usually live.

• 4 years later...

This is a awfully old post, but i think i may have a theory as to why this could hold some truth

I want to begin by stating that this will contain a theory on equestria being founded millenniums after the events that take place in gen 3 and 3.5, and this theory is based on a time line that spans 1000's to 10,000's of years.

Lets begin with the geography, since there are many similar areas to equestrias (and beyond) layout vs the lands of old gens. Lets say, equestria is the same world as all the other areas in the other gens, but at each point in time where we see each generation, the world has changed due to climate and moving plates of their worlds fault lines, similar to how ours did when we had super-continents. with our gen 4 being a super-continent itself.  

with that in place we now look back in equestrias history, as far back as the three tribes. i believe the separation of the pony tribes after gen 3-3.5 were originally caused by climate/continental changes, maybe something in tune as an pony ice age, which would bring the snowy north where the yaks and crystal empire are today to light as they are the last of the snowy past of to which we see in gen 4, and at this start of this ice age, many different ponies started to fight against themselves,for resources and food, which caused a rift to begin, and thus bringing in the wendigos, which until the unification of the three tribes occurred started each pony waging wars against each other fighting for survival with all ponies fighting against each other no matter what race they were, which could have span throughout many decades. this would occur until the 3 tribes came together as unified tribes, where all pegasi supported pegasi, unicorns supported unicorns and earth ponies supported earth ponies, which started the wars against the tribes we knew occurred at one point. This would lead to what we all know would happen with the three tribes coming together and unifying at the first heartswarming eve against the wendigos before everyone froze to death at the end.

As for the reasoning behind why there no humans in gen 4, we look to the eqg portal, maybe there used to be a portal to a human world that was in the older gens that was destroyed or something happened by the time gen 4 came around, and that the eqg portal is a nonfunctional-malfunctioning portal that sends ponies to a human-hybrid world since it isnt fully capable of send them to a full human world

• 1 year later...