Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are MLP Gens 1- 4 tied together?

ManaMinori

Sure, they're probably not all existing within the same world....maybe....but surely there's some parallel and each gen exists over the rainbow (like Megan's world), or through a dimensional mirror, or well, or something? What do you guys think? Are all gens taking place in the same world, just in different countries beyond the Equestria of G4, or are they all loosely connected through some dimensional mirror, like we've seen in both Equestria Girls and in the IDW comics? Example: Could an alicorn of G4 exist in the same world with bushwoolies rockdogs and Flutter ponies and witches? Do these things live in the same world and we just haven't seen them yet, because we're not venturing past Equestria country?

(edited)

I kinda doubt it, considering no one has ever seen a human in gen 4, but they exist as we know them in gen 1. and there is very little proof to sustain all the other things, unless say, changelings were corrupted flutter ponies. but there may be a chance that there might be some sort of other dimension, because there's the applejack of gen one, and rainbow and pinkie of gen...you know, so there is a distinct possibility, but very unlikely

Edited by Tone shift

Well, in the comics you have G1 bayb Surprise, Firefly, and Glory:attachicon.gif017.jpg There's also adult Firefly and Gusty in the same comic.

Sort of.... (btw i'm pretty sure that white unicorn is actually Twilight Velvet, Twilight's mom. :P)

Also in Mac's comic the mane 6 are always caught mild conversation telling a story about something to some random pony but its never explained what. They are actually refering to episodes of the original MLP cartoon. 

About the only similarities between the generations is names. Otherwise they're best considered separate.

(Although I love how the comic puts updated G1 ponies into the background. Wish they were able to do that more in the series.)

Sort of.... (btw i'm pretty sure that white unicorn is actually Twilight Velvet, Twilight's mom. :P)

Also in Mac's comic the mane 6 are always caught mild conversation telling a story about something to some random pony but its never explained what. They are actually refering to episodes of the original MLP cartoon. 

They're a bit different, actually, that ponies cutie mark is a shooting star, similar to baby glory from G1: glory.jpgpost-28184-0-17262100-1406611299_thumb.jpg

I don't believe so. My understanding was that FIM was a total reboot

Somewhat. They couldn't use Faust's idea, I believe due to copyright issues. But there are some little cookies writers have slipped in that allude to them being in the same continuity, like Commander Firefly and the aforementioned G1 ponies.

(edited)

Constants and Variables, really. I like to see it as the Gens all trace back to a single point of origin, but have all diverged off from one another at some point, creating vastly different universes with each divide.

For instance, maybe the dimensional mirror is one such divergence point. In the G4 universe, it was hidden away by the Princesses so that it may not be used for evil. In the G1 universe, it was never discovered, and overtime, it became more of a natural bridge between the two worlds. Meanwhile, the Equestria Girls universe is a product of the ponies in the G3 universe flooding through the portal in droves and interbreeding with humanity, thus creating the screwy, unnatural skintones we witnessed in the movie.

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

Constants and Variables, really. I like to see it as the Gens all trace back to a single point of origin, but have all diverged off from one another at some point, creating vastly different universes with each divide.

For instance, maybe the dimensional mirror is one such divergence point. In the G4 universe, it was hidden away by the Princesses so that it may not be used for evil. In the G1 universe, it was never discovered, and overtime, it became more of a natural bridge between the two worlds. Meanwhile, the Equestria Girls universe is a product of the ponies in the G3 universe flooding through the portal in droves and interbreeding with humanity, thus creating the screwy, unnatural skintones we witnessed in the movie.

That's an interesting theory. So it's still possible, you're saying, for a pony from G4 to go to the world of G1, though using the bridge in that time wasn't common? omg, g3 interbreeding. The horror! The horror!

sad, though, not many people seem to believe the G1-g4 takes place on the same pony world. It'd be so much easier, if it were. XD

I would prefer to think of them as separate continuities.

Or you could be like the movie "Turtles Forever" which ended up linking just about every version of Ninja Turtles out there thanks to some sort of Multi-Verse thing where all versions of the Turtles existed; just in their own universe.

ok, well let me try and put this another way, so let's forget about what continuity may or may not exist with the different gen ponies and humans in the same world, for a second. Let's consider the landscape. In Gen 1, there was a volcano that 3 witches lived on, and they'd often leave it to torment ponies in Dream valley or in Flutter Valley. Looking at the map of g4 Equestria, I think it's a safe bet to assume that the G1 volcano is now called Smokey Mountain, Dream Valley is probably Ponyville, now- as it's right in the shadow of a mountain (Canterlot), and Flutter Valley- which was shown to be through a dark. Those Ruins coming out from the forest look similar to the stone structures in the Flutter Valley, come to think of it.

Map_of_Equestria_April_2013.jpg

(edited)

So it's still possible, you're saying, for a pony from G4 to go to the world of G1,

No, I'm saying that the dimensional mirror allowed travel between the human world and Equestria, and that the way the Equestrians treated it was a possible divergence point that shaped the differences between each continuity.

Think Bioshock Infinite.

EDIT: Made a little bullshit timeline to illustrate what I'm saying.

post-13195-0-28018100-1406658811_thumb.png

Edited by Mand'alor Dash

I've been looking into the comic, and i'm not quite sure if it was done on purpose, but the Firefly they slipped in in a cameo is actually historically accurate. She pops up in the comic that's discussing the Lunar Rebellion, which would've been right before the Wonderbolts formed.post-28184-0-33344400-1406659078_thumb.jpg You can also see baby Firefly along with all the G1 baby ponies a short while later, within a reasonable timeframe for baby Firefly to be the child of the Firefly in the previous image.post-28184-0-14647400-1406659200_thumb.jpg YMMV, but i'd like to think that G1 existed, but this is a different timeline where the adventures they went on never happened.

I've been looking into the comic, and i'm not quite sure if it was done on purpose, but the Firefly they slipped in in a cameo is actually historically accurate. She pops up in the comic that's discussing the Lunar Rebellion, which would've been right before the Wonderbolts formed.attachicon.gif01116.jpg You can also see baby Firefly along with all the G1 baby ponies a short while later, within a reasonable timeframe for baby Firefly to be the child of the Firefly in the previous image.attachicon.gif017.jpg YMMV, but i'd like to think that G1 existed, but this is a different timeline where the adventures they went on never happened.

thanks for posting this. I had no idea.  (is this in the friends forever comics?) So if Firefly and some of the old G1 ponies existed in G4, then they are in fact connected, with accurate timelines and all. Interesting. i already had a hunch, from Tirek showing up..... I wonder if the same would hold true for other generations

I'm rather curious, now,to know- if the past ponies and locations do take place in the same world as G4 is set in, then where the alicorns have been from all that transpired in G1-3, and why the earth ponies of g3 had never heard of unicorns before in one episode. . Did they just not come into contact with one, like, ever?

I don't think they do. But in Gen 4 Breezies and Sea ponies exist.

no seaponies don't exist in G4 ):

I don't think they do. But in Gen 4 Breezies and Sea ponies exist.

Unless I'm missing something, there are no sea ponies in Friendship is Magic whatsoever.

Well there all connected being part of the same franchise, but I don’t think in the worlds they take part in that there connected or exist within each other.

Sure some characters can reappear from old gens but then they differ being more of a reinterpretation of what they were previously. 

Well there all connected being part of the same franchise, but I don’t think in the worlds they take part in that there connected or exist within each other.

Sure some characters can reappear from old gens but then they differ being more of a reinterpretation of what they were previously. 

Other than little nods to older characters, no.

ok, after doing a bit more research I'd like to provide what I think could be evidence to debunk both of your claims to G1-g4 not being connected and taking place in the same world.

Alicorns.

Many seem to think that Alicorns only became a race in addition to the 3 pony types (earth, unicorn, and pegasus) in Generation 4, and though there have been alicorns spotted in the background in several episodes, many dismissed them as animation errors. In the Journal of the Two Sisters, written by Amy Keating Rodgers, though, Luna pretty much confirms that other alicorns (besodes her and Celestia, during their filly years) existed and helped raise them? So other Alicorns that had to have been older than them exist.

Now, what if I said that the alicorn race existed even before G4?

Take a look at Gen 2, My Little Pony Tales. In the episode "Up, Up, and Away", the earth ponies think they see a UFO, which actually turns out to be the Glow n' Show Ponies, one of which is Dazzleglow, an Alicorn.

Dazzleglowcartoon.jpg

And if there were alicorns older than Celly and Luna to have birthed and raised them, then an Alicorn like Dazzleglow from G2, would be old enough to predate the royal sisters and prove that the different generations are connected and take place in the same world.

• Brohoof 1

ok, after doing a bit more research I'd like to provide what I think could be evidence to debunk both of your claims to G1-g4 not being connected and taking place in the same world.

Alicorns.

Many seem to think that Alicorns only became a race in addition to the 3 pony types (earth, unicorn, and pegasus) in Generation 4, and though there have been alicorns spotted in the background in several episodes, many dismissed them as animation errors. In the Journal of the Two Sisters, written by Amy Keating Rodgers, though, Luna pretty much confirms that other alicorns (besodes her and Celestia, during their filly years) existed and helped raise them? So other Alicorns that had to have been older than them exist.

Now, what if I said that the alicorn race existed even before G4?

Take a look at Gen 2, My Little Pony Tales. In the episode "Up, Up, and Away", the earth ponies think they see a UFO, which actually turns out to be the Glow n' Show Ponies, one of which is Dazzleglow, an Alicorn.

Dazzleglowcartoon.jpg

And if there were alicorns older than Celly and Luna to have birthed and raised them, then an Alicorn like Dazzleglow from G2, would be old enough to predate the royal sisters and prove that the different generations are connected and take place in the same world.

Okay, so alicorns/winged unicorn ponies, existed in MLP before FiM.

How does that make pre-FiM tied together with FiM?

Until proven otherwise, I believe that the universe, story, lore of FiM is it's own separate thing, even with references to older characters from the My Little Pony brand.

• Brohoof 1