Why does everyone have to swear all the time?

Alicorn Fluttershy

(edited)

so what the topic says. i just don't understand people's need for swearing! i mean i don't swear, i'm perfectly happy about not doing so! swearing just shows that you really need to learn more vocabulary,i mean seriously! and another thing, am i the only one who gets depressed and shrinks into my shell at being sworn at? 

Edited by Troblems
  • Brohoof 6

Swear? All the time? Not really. I feel swearing is perfectly okay when the situation demands it, but using it as the space between words can get annoying. I t also destroys the impact of those words when you really need them.

• Brohoof 4

I curse frequently, and I actually have a pretty big vocabulary. I just find that curse words can add a lot of weight or emphasis to a sentence in a way that other words can't. Really, they're just words like any other. Only difference is that society has arbitrarily decided that they are bad. The only words I would ever consider "bad words" would be hate speech.

• Brohoof 3

I swear all the time, i dont swear AT people unless they're my friends. But swear words are just words like any other. No need to resent them in my opinion. Plus they are excellent to throw in front of an adjective to emphasis the topic. I guess some people think they sound ugly which i find weird but to each their own i suppose.   

• Brohoof 1

I prefer a colloquial and conversational approach to discussion. I find the occasional profane word to be acceptable if being used in the appropriate context. I won't swear at someone though. That's just rude. (I had to make the distinction since the OP didn't)

• Brohoof 3

Meh I swear here and there but never offensively. If my friends do not like it i would try my best not to do so. but to me swear words emphasize sentences and stories. It makes it more " dramatic" for example fights! I just use them just to make others feel happy and not to feel like poopy.

I respect the fact you don't like it as cursing really isn't necessary... but by you making this thread your basically asking for people to do the exact opposite that you wish. Remember this is the internet you know... just ignore those you do not want to listen to thats all I can tell you.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I may respect your opinion on profanity, but if someone swears, then that's their problem, not yours. xP

I disagree with how profanity destroys your vocabulary, however. They're just words, really. xP

Edited by Mienshao
  • Brohoof 2

I kind of find profanity necessary in PG-13+ writing just to shape character personalities.

It is also kind of necessary in real life, since that's what a lot of people do to express their anger. We don't use profanity in formal instances, however, for obvious reasons. 

• Brohoof 4

I don't see why people give a damm about swearing. thier just words. and as the rhyme everyone has heard atleast once says words can never hurt you. also why do you shrink into a shell when people do that it makes no sense I get you dont like them but. afraid?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

so what the topic says. i just don't understand people's need for swearing! i mean i don't swear, i'm perfectly happy about not doing so! swearing just shows that you really need to learn more vocabulary,i mean seriously! and another thing, am i the only one who gets depressed and shrinks into my shell at being sworn at?

I don't think the fact that you created a thread entitles you to place such restrictions on it. People are quite free to swear here, unless they go overboard and violate the "excessive vulgarity" rule. But since I'll choose to interpret your imperative as a request, I won't swear in my response here. (for this post at least ;))

Sometimes, one just needs to swear for one's own catharsis, or to emphasize/express an emotion when the polite words just aren't emphatic enough. This is generally the way I am when I swear... unless something frustrates me, in which case, all bets are off. Some people just get into the habit, and start doing it all the time. Not much you can do except grow a thicker skin, really.

Edited by Wingnut
  • Brohoof 3

I reserve my swearing for anger and comedic values. I'm not against swearing at all. Though as a repetitive nature, it gets old fast. I'll try my best not to swear and I don't do it too often anyway. Yeah it's a bad habit - gotta at least exert some control. 

(edited)

Because i wanna fucking swear some times and honestly i just enjoy saying the word fuck and goddammit, so im going to fucking say it whenever the hell i want. I did exaggerate a bit for this thing but jesus fucking christ its not that big of a deal.

also hello im delernil

Edited by Delernil
  • Brohoof 2

Because i wanna swear some times and honestly i just enjoy saying the words, so im going to say it whenever the hell i want. I did exaggerate a bit for this thing but jesus christ its not that big of a deal.

also hello im delernil

goddammit isn't a bad word only to religious people and hey  :toldya: ( if i take out the swear words it decreases the feel to it ya see?  :mustache: )

(edited)

Well, I'll nellie you in the pretty princess until your limburger explodes!

Perhaps it's not the words but the context that gives curses impact. ;)

Judging from this post... probably not. That first sentence evokes no real shock, in me at least.

Plus, like, euphemisms, and stuff. (I mean, compare "Hey, your gramma just bit the big one." to "Your grandmother passed away." Same context, but the latter sounds somewhat easier to hear.)

Edited by Sunny Fox
  • Brohoof 3

Judging from this post... probably not. That first sentence evokes no real shock, in me at least.

Plus, like, euphemisms, and stuff. (I mean, compare "Hey, your gramma just bit the big one." to "Your grandmother passed away." Same context, but the latter sounds somewhat easier to hear.)

I remember this Saturday Night Live skit where the actors were acting out a play that was rather foul, but because it was TV, they had to replace each curse with its permissible equivalent.  But it was rather funny to hear someone shout 'Poop!' 'Number 2!' 'Pushing Brown!' with the same emphatic spirit that they would with the normal word.

Just like Battlestar Galactica used 'frak' and Firefly did 'gorram'. 

• Brohoof 1

Ehh.

They are words. The fact that people want to make words "bad" is outrageous.

You're going to prevent people from saying words on TV? Watch South Park or the Boondocks and it sounds more like a microwave going off. It's ridiculous.

Most swears didn't even exist 100 years ago. They are literally modern additions to the English language that people decided for whatever reason were unacceptable to be used.

Society shouldn't be able to decide what I can and cannot include in my vocabulary. Simple as that.

Freedom of speech can't exist as long as the FCC keeps f***ing censoring everything. 

^That's a good example. It just seems so silly to me that some words have to be censored like we all don't know what the word was supposed to be. We all know the words, and what they mean, so I feel we should be free to use them as we please.

• Brohoof 1

Ehh.

They are words. The fact that people want to make words "bad" is outrageous.

You're going to prevent people from saying words on TV? Watch South Park or the Boondocks and it sounds more like a microwave going off. It's ridiculous.

Most swears didn't even exist 100 years ago. They are literally modern additions to the English language that people decided for whatever reason were unacceptable to be used.

Society shouldn't be able to decide what I can and cannot include in my vocabulary. Simple as that.

Freedom of speech can't exist as long as the FCC keeps f***ing censoring everything. 

^That's a good example. It just seems so silly to me that some words have to be censored like we all don't know what the word was supposed to be. We all know the words, and what they mean, so I feel we should be free to use them as we please.

"Heres a word"

"What does it do?"

"SHUSH YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY IT"

Well ok then...thanks swearing...

• Brohoof 2

"Heres a word"

"What does it do?"

"SHUSH YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY IT"

Well ok then...thanks swearing...

Right. It's like Harry Potter with Volde****

• Brohoof 1

Why other people are not okay with swearing?By swearing even in unnecessary situations, you give weight to yoir words,or you show that ur pissed.You shouldnt hate it,theyre not swearing at you,there is a difference. And also dont get offended when they swear at you.With my friends we swear at each other a lot,and not from hate,cuz were friends,we know that we dont really mean it.But if haters swear at you,why you should get offended?I mean thats their job...what are they gonna do if they dont swear and hate at someone :(

I don't need to swear, I choose to swear. Additionally, my vocabulary is actually pretty huge. I just don't feel the need to demonstrate that on a regular basis. If I'm in a casual conversation I'm not really concerned about whether or not I'm using good vocabulary.

I am perfectly capable of not uttering a single swear word when I don't want to, but the vast majority of the time I simply don't care. This is not a virtue, but something that has arose for numerous reasons, some better than others.

Swearing is one of the things I do to release stress. There's just something about it that feels free and uninhibited that allows me to expel anger in a way that's not actually hurting anyone, because I don't swear at people.

I also don't think swearing is a big deal overall. I think it can definitely be used in a negative manner, but I don't think it's inherently negative. If you're swearing just to offend people, or even to legitimately hurt them, then I think that's wrong. If you're using racist, sexist, homophobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory language, I think that's wrong. The thing is though, words are words. Words that aren't "vulgar" like "stupid" or "idiot" can be used in very hateful and hurtful contexts, while some vulgar words can be used in largely harmless contexts.

I also enjoy the use of swearing for humor purposes. Swearing in and of itself isn't intelligent comedy by any means, but sometimes I'm not in the mood for intelligent comedy and I just want to goof around with people.

All in all I use vulgar language a fair amount, but I do try to adhere to the following stipulations out of respect for others:

• I don't swear around people if I know they're offended by it.

• I don't swear in settings where it would be disrespectful, distasteful, or otherwise inappropriate, such as any kind of religious setting or any place with children present. It doesn't matter if I believe in the particular religion or not, I would still show respect to others by not using language that's commonly considered inappropriate.

• I don't swear at people or use it in any kind of hateful or hurtful way.

I don't always succeed in sticking to those rules I have for myself, but I do my best.

• Brohoof 9