Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you deal with having no one to share your hobbies?

RainbowMau

Well, it's my case, my workmates are most of them +45 year old men, at least where I live none of men that age like animation, MLP, anime and cosplay, so when I try to talk about it to them they see it as very weird, and they laugh about it. The younger people I daily know (which is very few) are too normal and they think I'm joking when I talk to them about my hobbies, so that gives me almost no one to talk about these things, my little sister thinks these things are just for children and tries to avoid them, and sometimes my mother wants me to leave them, my childhood friend likes anime but he hates a lot of shows I love and he's not open to cosplay, he says he doesn't have enough self-steem to do it and when we go to cons together he gets tired in very few time. So basically I have no one to share my hobbies with.

Are you in a similar situation?

Edited by RainbowMau

Oh yes.

I am in a very similar situation. Most of the people I work with don't even know what MLP is. And I cannot possibly imagine mentioning "My Little Pony" to them.

I did try though. There was that guy I was talking to. And his daughter watched MLP. So, I asked him what he thought of adults who watched that show. Here is how it went :

Me : Hey, have you heard of bronies ? What do you think of them ?

Him : What? You mean those crazy *******, who watch a little girls show ? They must be pretty messed up in their heads. If one of them ever approached my daughter, i would beat the hell out of that guy  :angry:

Me: Erm, well, yeah, I guess, they must be pretty messed up. I'd do the same 

*slowly walks away*

So, to answer your question, no, I would be too scared to share my hobbies with other people :(

Edited by boiteporte

I don't, my brother shares my love for cars, cartoons and etc. So I have my siblings to share my hobbies with and then of course it's the internet. There are also a lot of people that are interested in something I'm interested in, being interested in cars, video games, movies, anime, music is a good way to find people who share your hobby.

I don't have an advice on finding people who share your hobbies but if there's maybe nearby conventions you should think about going to one. There aren't too many that admit their interest in cartoons and anime, but there's always people who do share your hobbies at least one. I think you should maybe find anime groups or clubs in your area if there are any. 

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

I really don't yeah maybe not all of my friends and family like everything I like but it's like this. The main things I like are having fun, pokemon, videogames, and ponies. My friends hate ponies especially my brother, but my little sister likes it plus I feel as if I have friends on the forum so that takes care of that. Pokemon my friend likes it and my brother likes it however my little sister doesn't, everyone likes having fun so I really don't have this problem. School's a different story though it really feels like everyone just likes things I don't reality Tv shows, sports, borrrring. Which explains why I don't have many because if I found a cool guy that was a pokemon loving brony that would be one more friend for my elements of harmony so yes at school no out of school.

I'm in a particularly unique situation myself.

My Little Pony is only so-so-- for me I just like the cute art most often. However even within this circle the overlap is small because I have a moral obligation to refrain from not-safe-for-work art and thus I am adamantly opposed to the notion of clopping, and the circle is further narrowed by people who care about Civilization V, Kerbal Space Program and/or Team Fortress 2.

There are probably fewer than 100 people like me on the face of the earth.

Family wise? Well I certainly do share my interests among each member. My two little brothers love My Little Pony, so we watch it and talk about it together. My mom likes some of the same shows such as Masterchef, Bar Rescue and Hell's Kitchen and such. My dad and brothers like videogames. And then, well me and my sister share that sisterly bond. We're pretty close, although I wouldn't say we're always on the same page, although we both love watching Shin Chan. :P

As for non family memebers....

Different story. At least with MLP. Nobody I know cares for My Little Pony. I've tried getting a couple of my closest friends into it, but they just kind of lost interest, which I totally respect. It's honestly really awkward when people(other than my close friends) find out I watch the show. Typically they'll figure it out when they see me mindlessly doodle ponies in school or take a look at my bag and see my Pinkie Pie key chain. Well it also could be my pony lanyard that has a pretty obvious charm of Pinkie, Twilight and Rainbow attached to it. :derp:

It's just...weird. Both for me and the person.

"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is"

-Paul Erdős

With the underlined portion of the quote being said, none of my friends get why pure mathematics interests me so much. I'm pretty much the only math nerd I know personally.

Here's an example of what many people consider mathematical beauty at it's finest. If this doesn't catch your interest, then nothing will:

e+1=0

• Brohoof 1

• 10 months later...

Aside from online, I have no-one to play/discuss games with, or talk about pretty much any of my interests. :l Of course, the only people that I really interact with are my mum and dad (both are very different to me), so I guess that's to be expected. :P

• Brohoof 2

• 6 years later...

Sadly, most my hobbies are exclusive to only me, and when I even get close to someone who has the same interests as me, they either shut down at the fact there are more things to learn, or they don't see it is a good thing to share hobbies. So it is quite rare if not impossible to find someone out there that is truly interested in the things I do.

• Brohoof 1

As far as my hobbies go, I usually don’t mind if some of them are only for me. Things like drawing and writing can be fun with others, but they’re mainly personal things. As for hobbies like gaming or watching certain shows, those are pretty common for anyone so there’s people I can share that with.

• Brohoof 4

I mean a lot of my hobbies other things like than gaming are done alone really. Like writing or drawing. Like it’s cool to share it but it’s also personal and it doesn’t really bother me if no one else I meet does it. Now if it’s someth8ng like going out for a few drinks or to the mall heck yeah I’d want to have some people with me. 

• Brohoof 2

It does feel a bit meaningless not able to share the same passion and hobby with someone who feels the same as you. I have not yet found ways to cope with it other then trying not to think of it much. Then again, I haven’t been drawing or doing my other favorite hobbies for a long time anyways. It felt pretty meaningless atm.

• Brohoof 1

I sadly don't have anyone to share my hobbies with I would love to play f1 with my friend but he likes football not really into racing 

I would die of happines if i could talk about mlp with someone in real life

but i do get lonely when i got no one to share my hobbies with because of that i stop doing stuff that i like so yeah i deal with it badly

• Brohoof 1

Thankfully couple of my hobbies are predominantly car related. Such as cars and music pretty much go hand in hand and of course motorsports. Of course guns as well as hunting are hobbies that are very common in Iceland. You can pretty much talk to everyone about guns, trucks, hunting, cars and engines as such it makes majority of people here relatively easy to connect with. Having said that there are hobbies that are like what OP describes for example my little pony is something I've not found many to connect with over in Iceland in fact only one Icelandic person on these forums I have met. Then there are hobbies such as drawing, collecting hot wheels and legos are relatively rare to talk about I've had great luck with star wars.

Of course while we prefer to connect over our hobbies it really helps to have a hobby a lot of people have. Such as being a car enthusiast makes it pretty much so that you can connect with everyone. If you like firearms you can pretty much befriend everyone. In Iceland at least I have connected most with cars, trucks, star wars and firearms. 

Would be nice talking about anime, manga and movies more yet you know always be curious and you can talk about everything. 

• Brohoof 3

• 1 month later...

My hobbies are pretty usual: anime and gaming. But my tastes are very rare, it's hard to find anything fory taste, let alone people who share it. But I'm ok with it

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

...then I make friends that do share my interests.

There are people out there that do have common interests no matter how bizarre you think yours may be. You might have to stick to online friends but it’s not impossible to find real life friends either.

Even though this is my biggest passion and joy, drawing and writing is super personal to me, so sharing it would be very, VERY weird. :blush: I think that almost all of my interests are very personal, because when I do something, I do it with all my heart. Things need to be personal for me, otherwise it's not fulfilling. So no, I have no one for this. :please:

But honestly, I'm more interested in the people themselves. If someone talks passionately about the things they enjoy, I will listen to them with a big smile. :) I don't need to be interested in that particular thing myself.

• Brohoof 1