Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Doesn't the unicorns seem to have all the advantage?

Stuffy Hooves

It just doesn't seem that Earth ponies and Pegasus ponies have any advantage over the unicorns.

I mean, okay..

Earth ponies are strong and resilient with tons of stamina to spare..

Pegasus ponies has agility and speed, with the ability to arrange and walk on clouds..

Manual labor would be nothing to unicorns, since they can move or plow the fields with magic. Unicorns can even speed up the growth with an aging spell (with a unicorn magic that's strong enough).. 

We've already proved that unicorns can grant flight and walk on clouds(Sonic Rainboom).. and arrange clouds (Rarity had RD's Cutie Mark).. I'm pretty sure if unicorn try hard enough they can make rainbows too..

What do you guys think?

:derp:

• Brohoof 1

On 8/16/2014 at 0:50 PM, Stuffy Hooves said:

It just doesn't seem that Earth ponies and Pegasus ponies have any advantage over the unicorns.

I mean, okay..

Earth ponies are strong and resilient with tons of stamina to spare..

Pegasus ponies has agility and speed, with the ability to arrange and walk on clouds..

Manual labor would be nothing to unicorns, since they can move or plow the fields with magic. Unicorns can even speed up the growth with an aging spell (with a unicorn magic that's strong enough).. 

We've already proved that unicorns can grant flight and walk on clouds(Sonic Rainboom).. and arrange clouds (Rarity had RD's Cutie Mark).. I'm pretty sure if unicorn try hard enough they can make rainbows too..

What do you guys think?

:derp:

Most unicorns can only levitate things and/or do spells related to their talents.

Only a select few can do all ^those^ things, and they have to be quite powerful and/or study a lot.

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 5

Only a select few can do those "jack of all trades"-type spells. Most unicorns can only levitate and do one or two talent-related spells.

Aye. For most unicorns they would either have to be naturally gifted or take rigorous training to achieve any sort of spell that would dominate others.

As it stands, most unicorns aren't like that. I mean, I doubt Vinyl, who talent is supposedly centered around music and entertainment, would really dominate a unicorn of...say, Spitfire's caliber, IMO.

• Brohoof 2

Yes, most unicorns only know 2 or 3 spells, Twilight is an exception.

Pegasi can do sonic rainbooms, or at least flying very fast if they practice enough.

Earth Ponies have always been a bit underpowered though.

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

UMR!

Just kidding. I am up with Pathfinder and AV. Rarity seems to have serious skills with transfiguration and gem finding, and we know how strong Twilight was.

Talent specific only for non generalists.

• Brohoof 1

Additionally:

Twilight = Harry Potter.

Star Swirl = Dumbledore.

Sombra = Voldemort.

Again, exceptions.

Trixie is Malfoy and Ponified Discord is ... Snape?

Yeah, unicorns seem to have the potential to be the most advantageous race of the three.  

But they pretty much just focus their magic on what they like to do.  I'm sure if Rarity felt like using her magic for other things, she could, but she likes fashion and uses it mostly for that.  So her weather magic in magical mystery cure wasn't as great as it could have been.

Only selected unicorns specialize in magic as in magic. Most are specialized individuals that can only cast the common array of spells all unicorns do. The result?

Earth ponies have manual-labor or earth-oriented or strength-oriented skills
Pegasi have the sky-related or agility related skills
Unicorns are more "specialized and use intelligence in their skills.

Earth-STR
Pega-AGI
Uni-INT

You can't have a proper society without all 3.

Unicorns only have basic magic like levitation and magic corresponding to their cutie marks. Also, even though it's not canon, unicorns would most likely be less dexterous with their mouths than earth ponies and pegasi. Also, unicorns seem to have the most mental problems. I have a headcanon on how a unicorn's horn requires extra effort from the brain which increases a unicorn's risk of having a mental disorder. It's not canon, but looking at the Mane Six, before Twilight became an Alicorn, the two unicorns of the mane six worried a lot and seemed to have OCD. Snips and Snails were low intelligence. 

(This is applying to Seasons 1-3) The reason Twilight was able to use a lot of magic was because her special talent is magic. Rarity could not even do 1% of the spells she does. She doesn't need to. Twilight's special talent is magic, so she needs to have a lot of magic.

Now that Twilight is an alicorn, Rarity is the only unicorn of the Mane Six. Does it seem like Rarity has an advantage over the others except Twilight? If the Mane Six were to fight to the death, would Rarity be the last to die (leaving Twilight victorious obviously)? 

On 8/16/2014 at 1:34 PM, NioniosTheRenegade said:

Only selected unicorns specialize in magic as in magic. Most are specialized individuals that can only cast the common array of spells all unicorns do. The result?

Earth ponies have manual-labor or earth-oriented or strength-oriented skills

Pegasi have the sky-related or agility related skills

Unicorns are more "specialized and use intelligence in their skills.

Earth-STR

Pega-AGI

Uni-INT

You can't have a proper society without all 3.

^This.^

Why is it so hard for some people to get?

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 1

Yes and no. If I were a pony, I would prefer to be a unicorn, because I think it would suit me best, but most unicorns only know a few spells. Twilight is an academic, so she studies magic on a regular basis, and that's why she knows so much(and now she's an alicorn). Most unicorns are probably more like Rarity, who uses a few spells here and there to make her life easier. Pegasi have wings, but earth ponies actually have more speed than them, typically. Still, having wings would be pretty cool too, so I wouldn't write of pegasi. Earth ponies have the most strength and speed, and they have tactile tails that function as an extra limb for grabbing things, which is something only they have. Pinkie has special mane that she can store stuff in, but she's kind of special, and I've never seen Applejack do the same, though it's possible all earth ponies have that ability. All three pony types have advantages, but I am inclined to say that being a unicorn would be a better match for me.

Edited by Tross
  • Brohoof 1

On an equal level of training and study, a pegasi and a unicorn should be an equal match for each other.
Which is to say, a pegasi is fast enough and agile enough to dodge most spells and get into close quarter combat, hopefully snapping the unicorns horn off or vaccum-cutting them to death(at least the Wonderbolts can.)he unicorn manages to get a spell in, then they'll probably win. Earth ponies...well, most of then don't seem to have any particular advantage. Pinkie Pie is obviously an outlier.

Edited by Shimmer5000

On an equal level of training and study, a pegasi and a unicorn should be an equal match for each other.

Which is to say, a pegasi is fast enough and agile enough to dodge most spells and get into close quarter combat, hopefully snapping the unicorns horn off or vaccum-cutting them to death(at least the Wonderbolts can.)he unicorn manages to get a spell in, then they'll probably win. Earth ponies...well, most of then don't seem to have any particular advantage. Pinkie Pie is obviously an outlier.

Also, the comics heavily imply that Time Turner is, in fact, The Doctor (or at least a Time Lord in general).

• Brohoof 1

Samurai Equine is a unicorn with great powers, but envies the pegasi and wishes he could fly among the clouds with them... :o Maybe make some mechanical wings?

Either way, all races are equal to me. Magic is no substitution for hard earned talent.

• Brohoof 1

Samurai Equine is a unicorn with great powers, but envies the pegasi and wishes he could fly among the clouds with them... :o Maybe make some mechanical wings?

Either way, all races are equal to me. Magic is no substitution for hard earned talent.

Umm...magic is a hard earned talent. Fillies have to work really hard just to learn basic levitation, Sweetie Belle just barely learned how to use hers in Season 4.

• Brohoof 1

Umm...magic is a hard earned talent. Fillies have to work really hard just to learn basic levitation, Sweetie Belle just barely learned how to use hers in Season 4.

I meant it's no reason to flaunt it like it overshadows the abilities of other races or the non-magical. Magic's great, but it's not a solves-all-problems mcguffin.

I meant it's no reason to flaunt it like it overshadows the abilities of other races or the non-magical. Magic's great, but it's not a solves-all-problems mcguffin.

I hate to say it, but... magic could possibly replace the other two races. Unicorns can manipulate the weather, and alchemy can grow plants. It's not feasible by any means, but it's possible.

Edited by Shimmer5000

On 8/16/2014 at 6:32 PM, Samurai Equine said:

Reminds me of one YouTuber's headcanon on Sombra: He was an Earth Pony with Unicorn/Alicorn-envy, and this drove him to try invoking dark magic to change his type.

Edited by A.V.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/185272/the-chase

Read this fanfiction, it may be 

372,857 words long at this very moment in time

But this is basically my headcanon for equality in equestria 
Unicorns have types,
Type 1: Basic levitation, not much else, can only levitate one thing at a time
Type 2: Can manipulate 2 objects at once and slightly more adapt at magic than type 1
Type 3: Normally called wizards - can manipulate multiple things at once at perform more powerful spells
Type 4: Archmage level abilities (starswirl, twilight before twilicorn, sombra)
Type 5: Alacorn level magic

most are type 1-2 quite a few type 3s (rarity level) and very few type 4s
  • Brohoof 2